• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

In the late 90s and early 2000 era, Nintendo was all about establishing joint partnerships in Japan. Even though it's not well documented in Western press/archives, Nintendo and Hudson formed Monegi Inc. (51% Nintendo, 49% Hudson) and they were exclusively involved in Mario Party development and a few Super Robot Taisen games. A lot of the veteran ND Cube staff may be directly from Monegi rather than Hudson, although it's hard to pinpoint exactly. Hiroshi Ikeda who was the original Nintendo R&D4 manager during the first years of (EAD) Miyamoto/Tezuka developing games on their own, was the President of Monegi, and then later Mario Co., Ltd which was another spinoff join venture company.

Monegi Inc, Mario Co., Ltd., Randnet Co., Ltd., Marigul Inc., Mobile 21 Co., Ltd are a few of those joint companies from Japan.
I feel funding these companies was a sort of "desperation move" on Yamauchi's part to get the Japanese market back. Iwata didn't seem to believe in them, letting them manage themselves until the late Wii / early 3DS era when he reformed Brownie and ND Cube (before Iwata, Brownie was publishing games with third parties and ND Cube was a ghost company).

If we want to be cynical, Iwata didn't live long enough to restructure Genius Sonority.

That’s my thought process just centralize Pokémon spin-off development
Ambrella and Genius Sonority aren't big enough to do major games anymore, so other than absorbing the remaining staff, there's not much they could provide, IMO

I feel funding these companies was a sort of "desperation move" on Yamauchi's part to get the Japanese market back. Iwata didn't seem to believe in them, letting them manage themselves until the late Wii / early 3DS era when he reformed Brownie and ND Cube (before Iwata, Brownie was publishing games with third parties and ND Cube was a ghost company).

If we want to be cynical, Iwata didn't live long enough to restructure Genius Sonority.
Brownie Brown was more of a necessity to have more staff to support their games, I think. with HD coming and 3DS games taking as many resources as a Wii game, having subsidiaries do these tiny games that don't affect the bottom line wasn't financially responsible

Surprisingly Kirby Dream Buffet is not by the Tokyo Hal Office (Mass Attack,Rainbow Curse,Battle Royale,Part Time UFO) its by the main team even directed by kumazaki,wonder what they making,maybe the next mainline 2d game

Surprisingly Kirby Dream Buffet is not by the Tokyo Hal Office (Mass Attack,Rainbow Curse,Battle Royale,Part Time UFO) its by the main team even directed by kumazaki,wonder what they making,maybe the next mainline 2d game
That’s definitely interesting I’m betting on 2D Kirby but would love to see a new ip from Hal with the scale of Kirby so not like Boxboy or Part time UFO

Forgotten Land Director, Technical Director,and Level Design Lead aren't credited here, so I assume they're already working on the next mainline game.

The Boxboy project manager had the same role here, but the producer is still a no-show since Boxboy + Boxgirl. The Kirby subgame project managers have also worked on nothing since Fighters 2.

No Vanpool this time, from the looks of it. Good Feel is credited in Special Thanks again, but I'm pretty sure they did no work here, especially since Etsonobu Ebisu isn't credited like Jun Tsuda was in Forgotten Land.

3.42 million on Switch and 2.02 million on Wii U as of December 2020; 5.44 million combined.
Is important to remember that the cost of the games are more than just the cost of Retro Studios, outsourced development plus marketing/localized costs increase quite a bit the cost of the games. Still with 5.44M units (and counting) it probably makes Retro Studios at worse break even for Nintendo until they release Prime 1HD and start making a profit again. DKTF Switch port has been selling like 600k per year even with Nintendo only getting like 40$ per copy that is enough to pay already all Retro Studios costs

Retro is the disaster studio, so I'm not at all surprised it's been hemorrhaging money. Hopefully whatever project just finished makes up for it.

I’m curious about NLG first game as a Nintendo subsidiary, while it theoretically Mario Strikers already was that the scope and most of the project decisions were made when NLG was independent. This will be the first time NLG has full access to the budget and resources of a 1st party studio plus it has already grown a bit since Strikers started development

Last edited:
Next Level Games two weeks ago started hiring for their next project

(In previous hiring ads they didn’t mention them being for their next project even if it was obvious they were, this is the first hiring ad post-Strikers launch)
Forgot to mention it but they opened even more positions last week. It seems that they are expending a lot already for the next project (the engineer positions were open two weeks ago, the others last week)

repeat after me: Nintendo does not need western studios

This was a while back, but I keep wondering how serious you were. Western studios like Rare, Retro, and NST used to contribute to the bread and butter of Nintendo's output in the N64/Gamecube days. I know those weren't the most successful times for Nintendo but it always felt like the western studios helped them a lot.

Nintendo doesn't need Monster but I think the idea of having western studios when a lot of your consumerbase is not in Japan makes a lot of sense. They just need to learn to manage them better than they did Retro. Granted having western partnerships instead might just make more sense.

Is important to remember that the cost of the games are more than just the cost of Retro Studios, outsourced development plus marketing/localized costs increase quite a bit the cost of the games. Still with 5.44M units (and counting) it probably makes Retro Studios at worse break even for Nintendo until they release Prime 1HD and start making a profit again. DKTF Switch port has been selling like 600k per year even with Nintendo only getting like 40$ per copy that is enough to pay already all Retro Studios costs
I mean Tomb Raider games were considered successes/broke even and made profit by selling about that, and those were games that costed more than 100 million to make. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze didn't cost nearly as much. The ~2m was probably enough to pay of on the Wii U, and the Switch port probably was almost only profit lol.

Not to mention Retro helped the development of Mario Kart 7 that was an stellar success.

I'm sure this theory has been talked about before but I feel Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3 will be heavily looked at by the higher ups at Nintendo. Mainly to see how well they sell since they already have an existing game on Switch. It could be why there has been no news on a new 3D Mario or even something like ARMS 2. So at this point they could just be holding off for the next console or if Xeno3/Splat3 do as well as they anticipate, getting the go-ahead to finish these games for Switch.

I don't think Nintendo "needs" Western devs specifically in the sense that I don't think their continued success is contingent on games developed in Europe and North America (which is what people usually when they say "the West"). NLG has been a pretty important asset to them and both Retro and NST could become that as well so it's nice to see Nintendo invest in them. But I wouldn't necessarily call them "essential" (NLG more so than the other two).

However, and this has been brought up multiple times in the past, I'd wager that it's probably going to get increasingly difficult to find enough people for all of their development needs if they limit their hiring pool to mostly one country.

But, uh, there seem to be more pertinent issues at their American branch...

The Kirby Anniversary concert confirms that Nobuyuki Okada is still at HAL and is now a producer, but he hasn’t been credited on any title with that role.

Though the fact that he was highlighted here with Kumazaki and the sound team could suggest that he’s more invovled with non-gaming projects now.

Last edited:
I don't think Nintendo "needs" Western devs specifically in the sense that I don't think their continued success is contingent on games developed in Europe and North America (which is what people usually when they say "the West"). NLG has been a pretty important asset to them and both Retro and NST could become that as well so it's nice to see Nintendo invest in them. But I wouldn't necessarily call them "essential" (NLG more so than the other two).

However, and this has been brought up multiple times in the past, I'd wager that it's probably going to get increasingly difficult to find enough people for all of their development needs if they limit their hiring pool to mostly one country.

But, uh, there seem to be more pertinent issues at their American branch...
I don’t think being Japan focused limits how much they can grow to a big extend at least in the long term, there are every year hundreds of new game developers in Japan and Nintendo isn’t just the most desirable studio to work with but also has a strong program for new graduates which means that every year dozens of new employees enter Nintendo (and most of them never leave). The limit of being focused on Japan has more to do with how fast they can grow which is what could be the bigger issue with increasing development costs and resources needed to make games, Nintendo might not be able to grow fast enough to catchup

I don’t think being Japan focused limits how much they can grow to a big extend at least in the long term, there are every year hundreds of new game developers in Japan and Nintendo isn’t just the most desirable studio to work with but also has a strong program for new graduates which means that every year dozens of new employees enter Nintendo (and most of them never leave). The limit of being focused on Japan has more to do with how fast they can grow which is what could be the bigger issue with increasing development costs and resources needed to make games, Nintendo might not be able to grow fast enough to catchup
At least Square Enix was struggling to find people experienced in console development a few years ago. And with the demographic development of Japan this is an issue that is only going to become worse over time. It might be less of an issue for Nintendo right now but will eventually catch up to them as well.

At least Square Enix was struggling to find people experienced in console development a few years ago. And with the demographic development of Japan this is an issue that is only going to become worse over time. It might be less of an issue for Nintendo right now but will eventually catch up to them as well.
There are issues to get people already experienced but not for new graduates which is the way Nintendo EPD grows the most, maybe in the future due to Japanese demographics this can be an issue but at the moment it isn’t.

There are issues to get people already experienced but not for new graduates which is the way Nintendo EPD grows the most, maybe in the future due to Japanese demographics this can be an issue but at the moment it isn’t.
The number of college enrolments has been stagnating for the past few years, it's really only a question of time until it gets worse.

Surprised Nintendo don't have more development support studios outside of Japan across Asia. Costs are lower and there's an increasingly large talent pool in countries like Vietnam. Turning iQue (China) into development assistance suggests they're aware of both the need and the opportunity, but in classic Nintendo fashion it'll be small steps, in all probability. The preference is clearly for EPD itself to become bigger, given the investment announced last year, but that'll only go so far as development demands continue to increase.

Surprised Nintendo don't have more development support studios outside of Japan across Asia. Costs are lower and there's an increasingly large talent pool in countries like Vietnam. Turning iQue (China) into development assistance suggests they're aware of both the need and the opportunity, but in classic Nintendo fashion it'll be small steps, in all probability. The preference is clearly for EPD itself to become bigger, given the investment announced last year, but that'll only go so far as development demands continue to increase.
They just get access to those resources through Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco (which carries its own risks, of course).

They just get access to those resources through Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco (which carries its own risks, of course).
Sure; part of what they're doing with EPD is meant to reduce that contractor reliance, so maybe investment in other parts of Asia happens in the medium term? Who knows, though.

Sure; part of what they're doing with EPD is meant to reduce that contractor reliance, so maybe investment in other parts of Asia happens in the medium term? Who knows, though.

Based on our limited tools to gather the scope of Nintendo's R&D, their deficit really lies with the art staff required to simultaneously create multiple mid to big budget HD games. Looking into the action plans Nintendo is taking for more aggressive expansion, their biggest priorities have to be making sure that their bigger IPs can be developed with less reliance on outside contractors. Now this doesn't mean that there won't be any outsourcing (that's like impossible), but that steps are taken that they don't rely on outside help to develop the next Mario Kart and Animal Crossing (etc.). Probably for several reasons: including chance that Koei-Tecmo or Namco-Bandai can hold you up for more money or already committed their resources elsewhere. Honestly, if you are the biggest software publisher, why not cut out the middleman and avoid paying additional royalties from your biggest games?

Expanding their central development force in Kyoto is a great step, but it really seems like a missed opportunity to not take advantage of any other major talent hub in Japan - especially Tokyo (small expansion here?) and Osaka where Nintendo has existing major operations already. Either way, barring the difficult government regulations and employee turnover in China (iQue will always be small), the answer does seem in Nintendo investing into asset studios in Southeast Asia. But despite some recent R&D investments and company acquisitions, this pivotal step still seems like such an absurd leap for a still conservative company.

the fact that Nintendo hasn't extended development branches into places like SEA or India is a big misstep, IMO, and will hamper their desires of getting games out in a more reasonable time.

not to mention allowing their western subsidiaries take on some indie investment/publishing duties to help fill out the roster and add variety to Nintendo's personal lineup

Based on our limited tools to gather the scope of Nintendo's R&D, their deficit really lies with the art staff required to simultaneously create multiple mid to big budget HD games. Looking into the action plans Nintendo is taking for more aggressive expansion, their biggest priorities have to be making sure that their bigger IPs can be developed with less reliance on outside contractors. Now this doesn't mean that there won't be any outsourcing (that's like impossible), but that steps are taken that they don't rely on outside help to develop the next Mario Kart and Animal Crossing (etc.). Probably for several reasons: including chance that Koei-Tecmo or Namco-Bandai can hold you up for more money or already committed their resources elsewhere. Honestly, if you are the biggest software publisher, why not cut out the middleman and avoid paying additional royalties from your biggest games?

Expanding their central development force in Kyoto is a great step, but it really seems like a missed opportunity to not take advantage of any other major talent hub in Japan - especially Tokyo (small expansion here?) and Osaka where Nintendo has existing major operations already. Either way, barring the difficult government regulations and employee turnover in China (iQue will always be small), the answer does seem in Nintendo investing into asset studios in Southeast Asia. But despite some recent R&D investments and company acquisitions, this pivotal step still seems like such an absurd leap for a still conservative company.
It’s not even just the bolded now too but also them attempting:
  • Long tailed live service games
  • Their attempt at bringing some of their ips back
  • Gather a work force to have some more erratic ips have a more consistent release schedule
This is not even counting any attempt at getting back into the mobile game if they wished. It’ll be interesting to see where they expand with existing studios outside their main branch.

If they want to get back into the mobile game, they're better off licensing. Maybe delightworks can do a Xenoblade gacha

Retro is hiring for an Art Producer. https://careers.nintendo.com/job-openings/listing/22000000AC.html?src=CWS-10000&loc=retro

Since 2022 began they have hired 20 people, only 4 people away from breaking their record in 2020.

I wonder if they can do 30. Probably not, but there is a chance. For comparison, Monolith usually hires somewhere in the low 30s.
They have enough positions open right now to reach 30 iirc, they will probably end up in the high 30s imo. Next Level Games is also hiring a lot by the end of Switch era both studios could end up having over 200 employees

Back
Top Bottom