• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

People forget the greatest RPG series that Nintendo decided to keep 2D: Mother.

Still wish there were some remakes though.
Werent some rumors (even if I dont think they were reliable) of Grezzo making Mother remakes?

Also what Camelot will do next for me is more interesting than Golden Sun future (which I see it as a matter of when not if), if there is no Mario Sports title or Golden Sun what could they do?

This did start about Gust, but I guess now it's not for one reason or another. But surely there are cheaper ways to gauge the viability of a niche series like Golden Sun. Perhaps the HD-2D approach could work nicely; not from Gust of course, who I see as just being the latest company in the "third party company should make dead Nintendo series" formula.
Bringing the first two games into 3D isn't going to break the bank, no matter who does it. We're not turning Weyard into Bionis here. A studio with smaller teams that does budget RPG work and has Nintendo ties is as fine a suggestion as the next studio.

"third party company should make dead Nintendo series" is exactly what this conversation is about. It's literally the current topic, because most of us agree it's likelier that way than with Camelot. And it applies to WayForward too.

Golden Sun is only good if you're 9 and you've never played an rpg before.
Phrase it like that and Nintendo will get dollar signs in their eyes.

I can absolutely believe a new golden sun if given a decent budget (meaning no advance wars shit) could do even 2 million.

Btw never played it so i dont know what would need to be changed : )

Kirby is only good if you’re 9 year old and you’ve never played a platformer before.
Nah, Kirby games are good not really comparable.
Seriously though, Golden Sun was a right time/right place kinda game. I'm not saying they'll never be remade, but the audience for a remake would be super small.

Bringing the first two games into 3D isn't going to break the bank, no matter who does it. We're not turning Weyard into Bionis here. A studio with smaller teams that does budget RPG work and has Nintendo ties is as fine a suggestion as the next studio.

"third party company should make dead Nintendo series" is exactly what this conversation is about. It's literally the current topic, because most of us agree it's likelier that way than with Camelot. And it applies to WayForward too.

Phrase it like that and Nintendo will get dollar signs in their eyes.

Maybe not break the bank, but I feel doubtful that it would be able to make back its money.

To me, it's pulling names out of a hat! Though I guess Gust is a somewhat better fit than all those old suggestions that Platinum Games should make a new F-Zero!

Nintendo already has a JRPG for young children: Pokemon!

Can't believe I'm praising Camelot here but they did a better job with Golden Sun than Game Freak did with Pokemon if we compare their respective first 3 entries.
images

Maybe not break the bank, but I feel doubtful that it would be able to make back its money.

To me, it's pulling names out of a hat! Though I guess Gust is a somewhat better fit than all those old suggestions that Platinum Games should make a new F-Zero!

Nintendo already has a JRPG for young children: Pokemon!
I don't know. Rune Factory 5 has exceeded 500k. Triangle Strategy 800k. Bravely Default 2 is past 1 mil. Octopath is past 2.5 mil. Look how avidly Falcom and NIS and Square are just dumping RPGs onto this thing. Many with a smaller audience than GS had.

If there's any system to try a budget Golden Sun remake on, it's probably this one. It's a hospitable place for niche RPGs, and Golden Sun has actually sold well in the past. Better than Advance Wars.

But yeah of course it doesn't have to be Gust. It was just an idea. Competently remaking the first two games is something many devs would be capable of.

And if already having a JRPG series for a certain demo prohibited others from being successful all those devs I mentioned above would be fucked. Nintendo has like five 2D platforming series.

A simple remake of the two GBA Golden Sun titles could definitely show up at some point in the future, likely under the same conditions the Metroid II, Famicom Detective Club and Advance Wars 1+2 remakes were greenlit: a studio approaches Nintendo with their pitch for a relatively low-budget remake project. I don't believe Nintendo will ever actively persue it on their own time, and I don't think Camelot are in the condition to make it on their own, so that's how it would have to go down.

I think there's some novelty in the idea too, since Golden Sun was originally conceptualised as a single N64 title with two story perspectives before being split into two GBA games. Would get a "neat" from me if it were remade as a single title like planned. Maybe they should consider remaking it with N64-style visuals too...

Can't believe I'm praising Camelot here but they did a better job with Golden Sun than Game Freak did with Pokemon if we compare their respective first 3 entries.
If we compare Gen 1-3 of Pokemon to the three Golden Sun games i'm not very convinced the comaprison comes out favourably for Golden Sun...

How much do you think a Golden Sun remaster would cost versus how much it would sell? To put in perspective MH:Stories 2 a game with a much bigger budget than what Golden Sun remasters would have; needed around 500k ish copies to break even with 1M LTD being the goal for Capcom.

I don't know. Rune Factory 5 has exceeded 500k. Triangle Strategy 800k. Octopath is past 2.5 mil. Look how avidly Falcom and NIS and Square are just dumping RPGs onto this thing. Many with a smaller audience than GS had.

If there's any system to try a budget Golden Sun remake on, it's probably this one. It's a hospitable place for niche RPGs, and Golden Sun has actually sold well in the past. Better than Advance Wars.

But yeah of course it doesn't have to be Gust. It was just an idea. Competently remaking the first two games is something many devs would be capable of.

And if already having a JRPG series for a certain demo prohibited others from being successful all those devs I mentioned above would be fucked. Nintendo has like five 2D platforming series.
Well, Golden Sun was successful because there weren't many RPGs on GBA at that point, and a robust, Super Nintendo style jrpg on a handheld was a novelty, even if it was incredibly generic. Now as you've pointed out, there are unique, creative, and successful rpgs on switch. I really don't see how Golden Sun could justify anything outside a low budget, Advance Wars style remake.

OG GS, Lost Age and Dark Dawn compared to Red/Blue, Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire.

I mean, Red & Blue will always have that nostalgia factor but even at the time it was a pretty limited game, Gold & Silver improved the formula A LOT but Ruby & Sapphire regressed almost as much. Plus, they all share the little graphic progress that is expected from GF.

Golden Sun was great right from the start in terms of the Turn-Based combat and especially graphically while Lost Age improved a few things, you could say that Dark Dawn is not as good but the truth is that is just a little same-y with very little innovation in the formula although it looked nice for the DS.

I don't know. Rune Factory 5 has exceeded 500k. Triangle Strategy 800k. Octopath is past 2.5 mil. Look how avidly Falcom and NIS and Square are just dumping RPGs onto this thing. Many with a smaller audience than GS had.

DS also had a lot of high selling RPGs, and yet Golden Sun couldn't succeed there. Why should I believe that spending even more money on a Golden Sun title would produce better results?

Remember that the Advance Wars remake is cheap; it's not getting the Fire Emblem treatment. A similar approach for Golden Sun could work, but that might not be what you had in mind.

How much do you think a Golden Sun would be able to cost versus how much it would sell? To put in perspective MH:Stories 2 a game with a much bigger budget than what Golden Sun remasters would have needed around 500k ish copies to break even with 1M LTD being the goal for Capcom.

As Mondo said, I think it ought to be cheap! It has a small audience. I don't see it as being comparable to Monster Hunter Stories 2, a spin-off of one of the most popular series in Japan.

OG GS, Lost Age and Dark Dawn compared to Red/Blue, Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire.

I mean, Red & Blue will always have that nostalgia factor but even at the time it was a pretty limited game, Gold & Silver improved the formula A LOT but Ruby & Sapphire regressed almost as much. Plus, they all share the little graphic progress that is expected from GF.

Golden Sun was great right from the start in terms of the Turn-Based combat and especially graphically while Lost Age improved a few things, you could say that Dark Dawn is not as good but the truth is that is just a little same-y with very little innovation in the formula although it looked nice for the DS.
Arguing that pokemon has only nostalgic appeal while wanting a big budget golden sun remake is a bold move.

Well, Golden Sun was successful because there weren't many RPGs on GBA at that point, and a robust, Super Nintendo style jrpg on a handheld was a novelty, even if it was incredibly generic. Now as you've pointed out, there are unique, creative, and successful rpgs on switch. I really don't see how Golden Sun could justify anything outside a low budget, Advance Wars style remake.
If it was a launch-window fluke the second one probably wouldn't have also made it past a million as well. People must've liked the first.

But yeah I haven't pretended we'd get some AAA reboot of Golden Sun. It would be a remake to gauge the waters, just like 2D Metroid and Advance Wars.

almost forgot theres another hal laboratory,there must be a new kirby game pretty soon from this team :
BqPydOU.png

Ah, right. Well, aside from something like... Snipperclips and Sushi Striker, what were the last 2D anything from Nintendo?
brain age,big brain academy,fire emblem heroes,part time ufo,warioware,dr mario world,famicon detective,boxboy

Last edited:
As Mondo said, I think it ought to be cheap! It has a small audience. I don't see it as being comparable to Monster Hunter Stories 2, a spin-off of one of the most popular series in Japan.
My point was more about how much a Golden Sun game would need to sell to make the cost back, if MH:Stories 2 a much more expensive title needed only 500k to break even , it is really hard to see Golden Sun struggle to make the money back.
If it had half of MH:Stories 2 budget it would only need 250k to break even, do you really think a Nintendo 1st party RPG even if a remaster would not sell that amount?

I clearly mean now and how people remember Red & Blue.
Hey, I'm just saying Red & Blue had that nostalgic factor.

Come on, it was an EXTREMELY unbalanced game and looked very dated even for that time.
As someone who was there as well and can get over the nostalgia factor, it was.
Then why are you using past tense?
Regardless, the best Golden Sun isn't as good as the worst pokemon and I don't even like pokemon

My point was more about how much a Golden Sun game would need to sell to make the cost back, if MH:Stories 2 a much more expensive title needed only 500k to break even , it is really hard to see Golden Sun struggle to make the money back.
If it had half of MH:Stories 2 budget it would only need 250k to break even, do you really think a Nintendo 1st party RPG even if a remaster would not sell that amount?

It's not that difficult to see for me! I love Advance Wars, but I don't think the remake's going to reach 500K, for example.

I played Golden Sun for the first time a few years ago, in my mid-20s. I quite liked it. I don't have a super deep attachment to the characters or world but it's a really solid RPG with fun overworld puzzle elements, and the Djinn system is really nice to play around with.

I gotta get around to Lost Age at some point

Discussing semantics now.

And I'm just saying how it is.
You: Red and Blue were successful because of nostalgia.
Me: Red and Blue weren't successful because of nostalgia.
You: Yes they were.
Me: That's not how nostalgia works.
You: I never said it was successful because of nostalgia.
Me: You literally did.
You: I'm just out here speaking truth to power, and that's the bottom line.

almost forgot theres another hal laboratory,there must be a new kirby game pretty soon from this team :

brain age,big brain academy,fire emblem heroes,part time ufo,warioware,dr mario world,famicon detective,boxboy
Oh yeah, dunno why those slipped my mind. XD

I think if we're going to bring up MH Stories 2 it'd be wise to reference the internal thought-process and expectations from the team directly; and thankfully we have exactly that!

B5XwPRf.png

I think it's telling that despite their plans to leverage the Monster Hunter IP (a massive name in Japan, beginning to grow internationally with the performance of World at the time) and targetting a younger audience they didn't see the potential audience for Stories 2 as particularly large. Golden Sun has neither of these benefits going for it; any brand power the IP may have had from those 2m units sold on GBA has diminished in the years since Dark Dawn flopped, so you're left with a target audience of just adult Nintendo fans who remember it, essentially.

It's not even necessarily a problem! Advance Wars is in a similar boat (without any past million seller to back it even) and that got remakes greenlit; but like Advance Wars I don't think Golden Sun would be seeing any luxary treatment. A simple relatively low-budget remake of the GBA titles is what would in all likelyhood be the most worthwhile project for the series in Nintendo's eyes (and clearly mine).

I'm not sure that Golden Sun wouldn't do well because it's an old IP with lower brand recognition. For many it might as well be a new IP, and they may check it out because it's new to them, and older players hype it up. I didn't bother with the games back when they came out on GBA/DS, but the word of mouth is very good in the subsequent years, so I'd try them if they were released today. If brand new IP like Octopath can sell 2.5 million, then Golden Sun might have a good chance, especially if given modern updates.

Regarding Mario Sports games, has there ever been a Mario Bowling game? There's other Nintendo games that feature it (Wii Sports, Nester's Funky Bowling lol), but I can't recall if there's ever been a Bowling game with Mario characters before.

Golden Sun’s biggest thing was that it was a fully fleshed JRPG on GBA with amazing graphics for the system.

It won’t have any of those things nowadays and only has its brand name. Which offers very little. It’s not one that’ll get a massive budget either. In all honestly. A remake of the part 1 and part 2 is the way to go. Together, It’s a big game as well. Lots of tons and party members. Just don’t make Felix and Issac mutes. And focus the story on Felix, he’s clearly the Main character for the first 2 games, even tho Issac is one you run with in the original.

Or take the biggest and dumbest risk, by making a sequel to dark dawn. A game that really shouldn’t have done the same thing as the original. But also, they could’ve chosen a much better premise then to make it the children of the original games. I can say more about Dark Dawn, but it’s a game that was just carried by its gameplay (tho it’s slower then the original) and had nothing else to offer. Which is a shame

everytime someone mentions octopath i read octodad and then get confused.
Octodad Traveler, you play as a well-dressed fatherly octopus in a pixelated sepia tone world. Spray ink to color the world to claim your turf and dethrone god. New Game Plus features your octoling.

"It's the year 2026. Square-Enix has unveiled a new Switch Series exclusive HD 2D game called Silver Moon, heavily inspired by Golden Sun. Critics delight in the throwback retro RPG nature of the game, and gamers love it because they just can't get enough of those oldschool HD 2D games. Silver Moon goes on to sell 5 million copies. Posters on Famiboards chime in: 'It wouldn't have sold that well if it had been called Golden Sun.'

As of 2027, Nintendo is already planning on teaming up Square-Enix and Koei-Tecmo to make Silver Moon x Fire Emblem: The Total Eclipse of the Sun"

Kidding aside, I've never played Golden Sun so I have more of a curiosity than any love for it. I just don't really think the whole "this won't sell today because it's old, or a product of its time" argument really works great with Nintendo, who are pretty good are reviving or rejuvenating dying or dormant series. Plus, remakes, remasters and sequels of 90s and 00s games are huge right now, so why not strike while the iron is hot with a remake of 1 & 2 to see if a new entry might be viable?

Regarding Mario Sports games, has there ever been a Mario Bowling game? There's other Nintendo games that feature it (Wii Sports, Nester's Funky Bowling lol), but I can't recall if there's ever been a Bowling game with Mario characters before.
There have been bowling minigames in five different Mario Party games, but no dedicated Mario Bowling.

Back
Top Bottom