• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

unknown.png

My dream is a Mario & Luigi RPG from them, a sequel to Bowser Inside Story with the Luigi's Mansion 3 engine!

Nintendo and NLG really putting those expansion plans into motion. I know they said they preferred a smaller team (they were bigger pre-LM2), but the move to HD obviously made getting bigger a necessity. Looking forward to seeing what NLG have after Battle League! :D Hopefully LM4 is saved for Switch 2.

It would be incredible if Nintendo managed to expand both Retro and Next Level Games enough they are able to handle two relatively large projects simultaneously.

It would be incredible if Nintendo managed to expand both Retro and Next Level Games enough they are able to handle two relatively large projects simultaneously.
I dont know. As of now retro seems to be expanding to handle one VERY large game. That might be the goal (which im sure it will make some people sad)

Perhaps after mp4 releases, thry could introduce a second studio, who knows.

With NLG it might happen as they arent focused on a single huge project

I dont know. As of now retro seems to be expanding to handle one VERY large game. That might be the goal (which im sure it will make some people sad)

Perhaps after mp4 releases, thry could introduce a second studio, who knows.

With NLG it might happen as they arent focused on a single huge project
yeah MP4 seems like a really big project according to all the job listings, they've recruited some big names too iirc. (an EA producer, etc.) I think they are focusing exclusively on MP4 at the moment.

I'm sure Nintendo would prefer to have their subsidiaries capable of handling more projects at once; and of having capacity for development assistance and cooperation to help make things more efficient across the board.

I'm sure Nintendo would prefer to have their subsidiaries capable of handling more projects at once; and of having capacity for development assistance and cooperation to help make things more efficient across the board.
Indeed, but who knows. Maybe the plan with retro is exclusively dem big western aaa games? That would require a lot of people for two games at once.

True. Although i dont think that really differs too much from what i said, since they re from the same franchise and Prime was once a big aaa game.
It’s to show they can handle multiple projects even if one is a remaster. And they’ve been growing throughout all these years. They’re still looking to hiring another 16 people. They will be at a point where they can handle 2 new games (probably not both AAA).

Indeed, but who knows. Maybe the plan with retro is exclusively dem big western aaa games?
I really don't see how this would fit with Nintendo's aims or directions as a publisher. Multiple moves they've made - including buying Next Level Games - is as much about making development more efficient through collaboration and assistance between teams as much as it's about expanding overall capacity. Nintendo now have three expanding studios based in North America; makes sense they might want them to work together on some projects, or provide support to one another. Or we might simply see small teams from NLG and Retro provide support to the odd EPD project every now and again (as happened with Retro and Mario Kart 7, and as we see NST doing).

How big was Retro when Tropical Freeze came out on Wii U vs. now?
somewhere along the 80s. Now? Somewhere along 140s to low 150s.
I really don't see how this would fit with Nintendo's aims or directions as a publisher. Multiple moves they've made - including buying Next Level Games - is as much about making development more efficient through collaboration and assistance between teams as much as it's about expanding overall capacity. Nintendo now have three expanding studios based in North America; makes sense they might want them to work together on some projects, or provide support to one another. Or we might simply see small teams from NLG and Retro provide support to the odd EPD project every now and again (as happened with Retro and Mario Kart 7, and as we see NST doing).
I dont think that is what i meant. I didn't say Retro will never work in another thing that isnt AAA level game, but i meant that it will be their ''thing'' going forward (and i mean, that has always been their thing). Im sure NLG and NST will assist them to some degree, and maybe retro will assist NLG in something (although i dont see in what they could fit).

As for the mario kart thing, this wasnt something they were obliged to do as if it was one of their functions, such as with Monolith, especially because they were never called again to do. MK7 was challenged as a game and Retro had free artists from DK Returns.

The only reason Retro was brought on for MK7 was because EAD was short-staffed at the time, working on Skyward Sword/NSMBU/Nintendo Land. Nintendo management also wanted a new MK for 3DS out within the first year.

It's the reason why what eventually became ALBW was initially cancelled.

The only reason Retro was brought on for MK7 was because EAD was short-staffed at the time, working on Skyward Sword/NSMBU/Nintendo Land. Nintendo management also wanted a new MK for 3DS out within the first year.

Yeah, I didn't suggest anything else. I just think that kind of development assistance will become more common for obvious reasons (increasing complexity of development).

Pretty sure the main or large reason for Retro on MK7 was due to the 2011 tsunami being an obviously huge setback for EPD. Same reason Brownie Brown was brought in for 3D Land and would lead to them being remade as 1UP Studio afterwards.

Pretty sure the main or large reason for Retro on MK7 was due to the 2011 tsunami being an obviously huge setback for EPD. Same reason Brownie Brown was brought in for 3D Land and would lead to them being remade as 1UP Studio afterwards.
There's an Iwata Asks interview which covers it. Basically, the Kart team expected staff to move over to them from Skyward Sword in late 2010. That didn't happen, and there weren't any other staff available; apart from at Retro, who had conveniently just wrapped up on DKC Returns.

Retro never went on to assist again, nintendo was absolutely fine with that. Im not saying it wont happen again, just that it wont necessarily happen again.

These count as new first-party studios, right? :p

i think that one was easy to expect, but its still hella cool to see it anyway. Although i dont think the mario film will be anything notable, i do hope it is a success so we can start getting film and series from franchises that are more suited to it.

Hopefully nintendo announces a sound division to sell all of their osts...

i think that one was easy to expect, but its still hella cool to see it anyway. Although i dont think the mario film will be anything notable, i do hope it is a success so we can start getting film and series from franchises that are more suited to it.

Hopefully nintendo announces a sound division to sell all of their osts...
they don't need a sound division, they can just go through the usual outlets like Sony or Warner Bros. Fire Emblem goes through Sony and I think Xenoblade as well? already a foot in the door at least

while the copyright could just be for the Mario Movie so far, I suspect they're already in talks for other movies and tv shows

Nintendo has been getting better with releasing their soundtracks....but only in Japan. Series like Kirby, FIre Emblem, and Xenoblade were always more consistent because HAL/IS/Monolith likely pushed for them. Xenoblade 2 even got a western release, but that probably had more to do with Mitsuda.

Ironically, Pokemon used to have the best track record, especially in the west, but we’ve gotten nothing since Let‘s Go.

Another Tweet

looks like they're adding the rest of the postings that are already on the site. despite LM3 being 3 years ago (closer to 5 by the time their next game comes out probably), I still feel they should let the series rest a bit for something different

of course, maybe they need all the time to make an open world Luigi's Mansion 4

With that trademark filing, It made me wonder if Nintendo would ever consider renaming EPD "Nintendo Studios" as a way to give all its games a unified branding. Much like what Sony is doing with PlayStation Studios.

With that trademark filing, It made me wonder if Nintendo would ever consider renaming EPD "Nintendo Studios" as a way to give all its games a unified branding. Much like what Sony is doing with PlayStation Studios.
Would be nice of they did it, along with thenname of the actual studio under that. I doubt tho.

Since the game has now leaked, we know the credits and
unknown.png

Retro Studios assisted with development of Mario Strikers: Battle League

Retro Studios now relegated to NLG support studio

Don't think it's impossible that they specifcally assisted on the Donkey Kong content; the stadium and character himself. Would be similar to how Rare provided DK assets for games like Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party in that era.

Back
Top Bottom