• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

I'm fairly certain it's NLG behind it, mainly because the model being used for Luigi has been adapted and backported into LM2. This means reworking the rig to blink its 3D-sculpted eyes where the original cutscene rig commands just had some textures shift around and animate those blinking eyes instead. The lighting and rendering systems for LM2 on 3DS- and subsequently, the switch rework's updates into using light PBR- are (likely to be) fairly complex and I don't suspect anyone besides NLG would be able to comfortably rework them without extensive documentation and communication.

That seems like a pretty big waste of resources unless LM4 pre production is taking forever.

I realize this is reading way too much into it but the way Jon says this person was about to reveal who it was but didn't at the last minute tells me it's not NLG. If it was, that type of consideration wouldn't matter. This reads to me like revealing the devs would have garnered some attention, hence not someone obvious.
no, nintendo is simply very serious about NDAs and embargos and even divulging obvious info like that can have consequences (= no more/reduced access for coverage). you just do not want to get on their PR bad side (the "nintendo ninjas [lawyers]" might slice and dice you, the PR ninjas will just smile at you and ghost you forever which is equally as fatal)

Odd he didn't just say who. Someone should just ask him.

Edit: Watched the segment and he says it in a very "it hasn't been publicly said but" so it sounds like he would but doesn't want to risk breaking any NDA.
It sounds like they must've specified in the NDA "You can't say who the developer is", which is something Nintendo is increasingly doing more recently. That exact terminology wouldn't prevent him from saying who it isn't, however. My personal prediction is that this project was used as a testbed to build up a whole new separate team of developers at NLG after the buyout in 2021, so that they can have two major teams pipelining projects at the same time.

my hunch is LM2 HD was mostly an onboarding/"keep the art people busy" project for Next Level while LM4 (or whatever their first major Switch 2 game will be) is/was in its early stages

not a perfect comparison, but iirc that's the reported explanation for why Naughty Dog did a TLOU1 remake; it was a way to bring newer hires up to speed with their workflow, and also kept their artists busy since most of their other projects weren't really in a "we need a steady pipeline of new models and assets constantly being made" state

Nintendo just seemingly changed their policy of only revealing who is developing it after the game is out, which sucks for us but for most people its irrelevant. Wish we could know earlier but it s not a big deal to learn at launch.

Nintendo just seemingly changed their policy of only revealing who is developing it after the game is out, which sucks for us but for most people its irrelevant. Wish we could know earlier but it s not a big deal to learn at launch.
just really would love to know WHY. of course one can dream up multiple theoretical reasons but I really want to know the actual thinking behind this, since it seems to no longer be them just not bothering to explicitly mention it, but actively hiding it until release.

just really would love to know WHY. of course one can dream up multiple theoretical reasons but I really want to know the actual thinking behind this, since it seems to no longer be them just not bothering to explicitly mention it, but actively hiding it until release.
My guess would be that Nintendo wants all the games to be known as just Nintendo games, even if they are made by another studio.

My guess would be that Nintendo wants all the games to be known as just Nintendo games, even if they are made by another studio.
Yeah, this feels pretty clean.

Pikmin is a Nintendo game. Pikmin is not an Eighting game, etc.

But as we can see now, once Nintendo acquires a studio like Next Level Games, Luigi's Mansion is a Nintendo game because Next Level Games is Nintendo.

It depends, because FE, Paper Mario and WarioWare have IS on their title screen and out of those, only FE is co-own. Kirby is co-own so HAL appears and Monolith Soft also appears on their title screen. Akira also appears in Endless Ocean. For NLG, they don't appear in the title screen, neither does Retro on Prime.

Possible hypothesis:

1) If your studio made the first iteration of a series, your game will appear in the title screen, NGL did not make LM1 so that fits, NST did not do the first Mario vs DK, but Retro made the first Prime game and they don't appear. Could be a Metroid IP situation. . KT appears in 3 Houses, that could be a case of 90% of the work was by them lol. There are other cases I might be missing.

2) There is a policy when it comes to support studios. Its not really uncommon, SE is similar in this case, DQ11 was made by with collaboration by Orca, but no one really mentions them (it will be the same with DQ12).

We might never know the reason, and in general I don't think it manners as much. I've seen arguments that its disrespectful to the devs, why? They are in the credits, they got paid and in their websites the game appears so new graduates are aware.

The semantics lie in the fact that the games are still produced by Nintendo and most times still developed by - from large to smaller capacities by Nintendo. Even though in many cases we can point or narrow it down to 1 or 2 main developers; now more than ever game development has multiple fixtures (some more consistent and others more occasional) involved in the development of any given game.

I can see the outside developer spotlight being important to mention if creatively it is driven outside of Nintendo brand offices, and essentially has a signature to it. Like for example XenoBlade games or a Sora Ltd (and friends) game.

Fuck it, when WILL we ever get a remake of DK '94? Like it's ripe for the banana picking. I'd LOVE for NST to try that next if anything. Though is Jr. in it, I forget. They'd have to actually make a canon modern design. We only ever truly got one either in the OG e-Reader commercial, or the scrapped model from Double Dash before Diddy replaced him:

Gamecube-MarioKartDoubleDash-RE_donkey_jr_1-1.png

He was in Mario Tennis 64 and a trophy in Melee but that was during the Rare era and I'm curious if Rare actually were involved with that, otherwise he'd be the only character at the time NOT modernized by Rare but Nintendo themselves.

Last edited:
It depends, because FE, Paper Mario and WarioWare have IS on their title screen and out of those, only FE is co-own. Kirby is co-own so HAL appears and Monolith Soft also appears on their title screen. Akira also appears in Endless Ocean. For NLG, they don't appear in the title screen, neither does Retro on Prime.

Possible hypothesis:

1) If your studio made the first iteration of a series, your game will appear in the title screen, NGL did not make LM1 so that fits, NST did not do the first Mario vs DK, but Retro made the first Prime game and they don't appear. Could be a Metroid IP situation. . KT appears in 3 Houses, that could be a case of 90% of the work was by them lol. There are other cases I might be missing.

2) There is a policy when it comes to support studios. Its not really uncommon, SE is similar in this case, DQ11 was made by with collaboration by Orca, but no one really mentions them (it will be the same with DQ12).

We might never know the reason, and in general I don't think it manners as much. I've seen arguments that its disrespectful to the devs, why? They are in the credits, they got paid and in their websites the game appears so new graduates are aware.
this is because of copyright, nintendo is obligated to put it in there if they own or co-own it. its different.

Sure I get that with FE, Kirby and others. But Paper Mario and WarioWare are Nintendo IP. Also with 3 Houses, KT has no ownership of that game.
could be because they use some things that the respective companies have ownership of. might not always be characters but could also be tools. might be different per studio

Figured this could go here since this is where we first talked about the studio, but Bandai Namco's Studio 2/S has put a pause on hiring for now.

I remember it was pointed out in February that the listings for their 3D remaster/remake and 2D action game had been removed from the site

were there other more general listings still up or is this one of those "someone noticed something from months ago and now it's being circulated around twitter framed as a recent development" things?

were there other more general listings still up or is this one of those "someone noticed something from months ago and now it's being circulated around twitter framed as a recent development" things?

It's the latter, the remaining Studio S listings went down slightly later in the month.

Baten Kaitos 1+2 was rated for PC in a few regions, so if that ever surfaces i'd be curious to see how they approach not only the Nintendo logos and credits for Origins, but also Yasuyuki Honne and Koh Kojima being credited as Supervisors for the remasters themselves.

I guess i'll get an answer to this pretty soon (as long as somebody out there actually buys and plays it on PC, haha).

Nintendo's EPD divisions really showcase the breadth of talent behind their iconic games. I'm particularly impressed by how they've evolved since merging their development teams into EPD.

Back
Top Bottom