• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Plus covid backed up the release schedule for Nintendo across the board. EPD 8 games always have a short announce - release window, so if it's landing in the second half or next year this is all totally expected.

To that point we've got Kirby on the calendar which might as well be an EPD 8 game with how it's looking so far. Best to keep distance between them.

3D world to Odyssey was 2013-17, four years. This is all pretty normal, I don't understand the hyperbole lol.

Last edited:
2020 was destined to be a slow year for their internal teams other than the launch of Animal Crossing, with COVID or without it. Because 2021 itself really wasn't better on the EPD front aside from a few small projects like Game Builder Garage and 3DW+BF.

Without COVID maybe a big project like Switch Sports could've made it into holiday 2021. (Although who knows because the leg strap functionality for soccer needing an update months later could be a sign theyre pushing this out early)

Regardless, they do seem to be on better footing this year as Switch Sports, Splatoon 3, and BotW2 all seem like huge projects. Not to mention the smaller projects like the MK8D DLC or that rumored 1-2 Switch sequel.

Last edited:
2020 was destined to be a slow year for their internal teams other than the launch of Animal Crossing, with COVID or without it. Because 2021 itself really wasn't better on the EPD front aside from a few small projects like Game Builder Garage and 3DW+BF.
I'd say the first half was kinda slow for EPD with smaller stuff like Skyward Sword and DC super hero girls, and the bare ones launch of Super Rush. But I feel they bounced back in the second half with Dread, Mario Party, and Pokemon.

Not always Looks at Prime 4 and Bayo 3
Those are not EPD, they're developed by Retro and Platinum

I'd say the first half was kinda slow for EPD with smaller stuff like Skyward Sword and DC super hero girls, and the bare ones launch of Super Rush. But I feel they bounced back in the second half with Dread, Mario Party, and Pokemon.
You're conflating EPD with Nintendo as a whole

Last edited:
I don’t know why Prime and Bayo were brought up when there’s an obvious EPD example in BOTW2….
Ah yeah, I meant EPD 8 as I said in my second line. Just missed it on the first one but I was adding onto the discussion in the previous few message about EPD 8.

None of these examples are developed internally by EPD.
  • Skyward Sword - third party collaboration studio, Tantalus Media
  • DC Super Hero Girls - publishing deal, developed by a third party TOYBOX inc.
  • Super Rush - third party collaboration studio, Camelot
  • Dread - third party collaboration studio, MercurySteam
  • Mario Party - third party collaboration studio, NDcube
  • Pokemon - nintendo affiliate The Pokemon Company and affiliated studios

Of course there are producers / execs attached from Nintendo proper, but they are not first-party developed games. That gap is exactly what is being discussed here.

Last edited:
Yes, and EPD also works on external games according to the OP.
There's a distinction between internal development and external development, though, and that's clearly the topic of conversation across the current posts.

Retro and Platinum create EPD-produced, externally developed games. EPD 8's 3D Mario games are internally developed.

None of these examples are developed internally by EPD.
  • Skyward Sword - Tantalus Media, a development partner in Australia
  • DC Super Hero Girls - publishing deal, developed by a third party TOYBOX inc.
  • Super Rush - third party collaboration studio, Camelot
  • Dread - third party collaboration studio, MercurySteam
  • Mario Party - third party collaboration studio, NDcube
  • Pokemon - nintendo affiliate The Pokemon Company and affiliated studios

Of course there are producers / execs attached from Nintendo proper, but they are not first-party developed games. That gap is exactly what is being discussed here.
I think there should be a more distinct difference between internal EPD productions and external EPD productions.

There's a distinction between internal development and external development, though, and that's clearly the topic of conversation across the current posts.

Retro and Platinum create EPD-produced, externally developed games. EPD 8's 3D Mario games are internally developed.
That's what I'm saying. Prime 4 and Bayo 3 are EPD productions, just not internal ones.

I think there should be a more distinct difference between internal EPD productions and external EPD productions.
There is, that's why I noted DC Super Hero is just a publishing deal and Pokemon is an affiliate. The rest are external EPD productions, hence the word collaboration.

There is, that's why I noted DC Super Hero is just a publishing deal and Pokemon is an affiliate. The rest are external EPD productions, hence the word collaboration.
Yes, that's why I think it's fair to consider the majority Nintendo published games EPD productions, similar to how most Sony published games are PlayStation Studios productions.

Yes, that's why I think it's fair to consider the majority Nintendo published games EPD productions, similar to how most Sony published games are PlayStation Studios productions.
Well now that's totally different because there's no actual developer called "Playstation Studios"... but anyway, this is semantics.

I don't really have a strong preference either way. Just that what you quoted me on was incorrect given the context of the discussion, so I corrected it. This seems like a simple case of missing context since my message started a new page. I didn't quote anyone since I was responding to the general convo that had been ongoing. I was talking about EPD 8 specifically, and the thread was talking about EPD internal productions. Hope we're all in a common level of understanding now.

Nintendo themselves use 'internal' and 'external' as the way of articulating this and that's why that language gets used in threads like this. Otherwise you're risking confusion and arguments over minor points. EPD's set up is different from PS Studios because there are no 'internal' PS Studios game drawing from a central staff pool the way that EPD functions.

That's the difference between EPD-produced and EPD-developed; external and internal. The conversation you came into was about internal development.

Still unsure what to make of those job listings from way back. I feel like 3 projects is a lot and it's more likely to be just 2 split up between EPD8 and EPD10.

If EPD 8 (Tokyo) is working on multiple projects as the hiring listings above seem to show, then it makes sense that their games may take longer to develop than before, especially during the pandemic. This holiday will be 5 years since Odyssey, which will be a year longer than the 3D World Odyssey gap. I bet we see them soon, probably this summer, with the first game coming in early 2023

Still unsure what to make of those job listings from way back. I feel like 3 projects is a lot and it's more likely to be just 2 split up between EPD8 and EPD10.
Yeah, it shouldn't be ruled out that the 2D project postings could be just one game. I think any chance of the 3D project being Bowser's Fury is gone with NST seemingly doing the heavy lifting for the latter.

EPD 8 had a small role in Mario Maker 2, so it's not impossible Nintendo want the groups to collaborate on the next 2D Mario.

That being said, I'm not sure that'd achieve their goal of expanding internal development. If EPD 10 always made 2D Mario themselves, how much sense does it make to give EPD 8 a significant role? Maybe we square that circle by suggesting development efficiency is the aim.

Obviously, I'm hoping it means the rumours about EPD 8 now being two teams with responsibility for DK as well as 3D Mario are correct. But let's not count the ape-chickens before the EPD-eggs hatch.

If EPD 8 (Tokyo) is working on multiple projects as the hiring listings above seem to show, then it makes sense that their games may take longer to develop than before, especially during the pandemic. This holiday will be 5 years since Odyssey, which will be a year longer than the 3D World Odyssey gap. I bet we see them soon, probably this summer, with the first game coming in early 2023
ooh maybe they're growing into an A/B team sort of model, and things are taking a bit while as they onboard the new talent? Exciting if so.

Dream situation is that we're looking at 2D/3D Mario, 2D Donkey Kong

How many heads does EPD have in Tokyo? Like could they actually have two games close to release? I get COVID has hit EPD hard, but it seems like we’re more than due for a game for EPD #8.

Since 2017, when EPD delivered 6 games (1 2 Switch, Zelda: BOTW, Arms, MK 8 DX, Splatoon 2, SMO) - we have not seen a year as fruitful. Perhaps this year potentially can come close with the 5 year cycle returning those lead teams.

• Nintendo Switch Sports (if inhouse)
  • New 1 2 Switch
  • Splatoon 3
  • Zelda: BOTW "2"
  • 2D Mario or 3D Mario / 2D DK

• MK 8 DLC
  • RFA DLC?
  • AC DLC?

Since 2017, when EPD delivered 6 games (1 2 Switch, Zelda: BOTW, Arms, MK 8 DX, Splatoon 2, SMO) - we have not seen a year as fruitful. Perhaps this year potentially can come close with the 5 year cycle returning those lead teams.

• Nintendo Switch Sports (if inhouse)
  • New 1 2 Switch
  • Splatoon 3
  • Zelda: BOTW "2"
  • 2D Mario or 3D Mario / 2D DK

• MK 8 DLC
  • RFA DLC?
  • AC DLC?
I thought Nintendo said they were done with Animal Crossing DLC ?

I want a new Dillon game.
I have spoken.
Omg. I remember when me and my little bro were like Dillon is definitely gonna be in the next Smash.
Man I missed all these cool Nintendo eshop games like Dillon, Pushmo, the submarine game and cool baseball one, etc...
3dswares, right? Why did Nintendo stopped doing those.

Omg. I remember when me and my little bro were like Dillon is definitely gonna be in the next Smash.
Man I missed all these cool Nintendo eshop games like Dillon, Pushmo, the submarine game and cool baseball one, etc...
3dswares, right? Why did Nintendo stopped doing those.

I want both Dillon and Takamaru in smash.
Yes I also remember Sakura Samurai, another good one. And Stell diver the multiplayer version was great fun, suprisingly.

I want both Dillon and Takamaru in smash.
Yes I also remember Sakura Samurai, another good one. And Stell diver the multiplayer version was great fun, suprisingly.
Don’t forget HarmoKnight by GameFreak. Actually pretty good game if you like rhythm style platformers.

There was evidence of a Crashmo game on Wii U, but it ended up being cancelled. The reason was apparently that IS needed more hands on their other games, but the Pushmo series always had very small teams, so who knows.

With Dillon, I can't imagine that Dead-Heat Breakers did well, especially since it released so late into the 3DS' life. Vanpool have been relegated to Kirby spinoffs recently.

Maybe the port that Vanpool is working on is Dead-Heat Breakers. I think that was the only one in the trilogy that got a physical release.

Don’t forget HarmoKnight by GameFreak. Actually pretty good game if you like rhythm style platformers.
If GF continue their Gear Project initiative, I'd prefer sequels to the more well-received games like HarmoKnight and Drill Dozer. Ken Sugimori directed the latter and has seemingly stepped back from Pokemon.

Last edited:
Maybe the port that Vanpool is working on is Dead-Heat Breakers. I think that was the only one in the trilogy that got a physical release.

Bright side is: EPD 8 have been doing something and it's only a matter of time (haha, oh no) until we see it.
In JP and PAL at least.

Dead-Heat Breakers was a fantastic game and deserves a second shot. The Mii integration was incredible, I fear that aspect would get a little lost though.

I always found it a little confusing when people positioned Bowser's Fury as a preview for the next Mario game; to me it felt like a fun concept that simply couldn't carry an entire Mario game. I mean, you can definitely identify the general principle that you spend as much time as possible in the world playing, with minimal interruption between objectives as something to be carried into future games; but it's also something Odyssey had already ran with when compared to the other 3D Mario titles.
That stems from this notion in lots of people's heads that open-world is the ultimate game design ideal every game eventually strives for. That's nonsense of course but that's why you always had this "3D Mario goes open-world!" floating around in the post-Galaxy world (which is in part what prompted this incredibly toxic initial reception of 3D World). BF is a glimpse into a version of that and many fans can only ever envision "same thing but bigger" so that's how we end up there.

That stems from this notion in lots of people's heads that open-world is the ultimate game design ideal every game eventually strives for. That's nonsense of course but that's why you always had this "3D Mario goes open-world!" floating around in the post-Galaxy world (which is in part what prompted this incredibly toxic initial reception of 3D World). BF is a glimpse into a version of that and many fans can only ever envision "same thing but bigger" so that's how we end up there.
For me Bowsers Furry shows a rather interesting concept how a single Mario Level + Boss fight could be structured in a different way. I would even say smaller is the way to go. Not everything has to lead to open world.

Intelligent Systems - Employee update January 2022 (Since last update January 2021)
Total employees -187 (+9)
Male - 133 (+5)
Female - 54 (+4)

Programmer - 65 (-3)
Hardware Engineer - 4 (+0)
Planner - 22 (+5)
Graphic Designer - 74 (+6)
Sound Creator - 12 (+1)
General Affairs, Accounting, Sales - 10 (+0)

Reminder that some parts of the Fire Emblem Cipher (TCG) website will be unavailable after the end of March 2022. - https://fecipher.jp/

I'm not sure if the Youtube channel will remain active, but here's the link for it https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk54gyvyCWLsUjZZmFBKCsg/videos
It has livestreams featuring some of the people who've worked on the series (not just Cipher), merchandise, and some of the concept art for the mainline series.

FE digital card game when?
They have a web version but Nintendo has yet to localize the game and the prior series of cards need to be buffed as they are underpowered compared to later cards from what I am told. I do want to see the game localized and get a few Katarina cards signed by her FEH voice actress.

I never realized how few planners IS has. Though it looks like that role is sometimes handled by graphic designers.

NST also worked on Super Mario Odyssey (VR Mode)

NST also worked on Super Mario Odyssey (VR Mode)
...huh. The more you know. NST really have become a western arm of EPD Tokyo haven't they? Ported Captain Toad to Switch and 3DS, Odyseey's VR mode, and of course leading on Bowser's Fury.

Eons better than a Mini Mario factory, that's for sure!

On a different note, I'm sad Nintendo didn't hang on to Left Field and had them regularly make licensed sport games and more extreme sport games. Their last released game with Nintendo was NBA Courtside 2002 on GC and were underway with 1080 GC before leaving and having NST reboot that into 1080 Avalanche.

Monster briefly filled the void with Excite Truck but we know how that tale ended. Nintendo needs their own in-house Left Field/Monster-esc dev.

FE digital card game when?
I feel that's the natural follow up for them to take after Cipher if they want to continue or expand upon it (hopefully globally this time). I'd like to see something done with Cipher, even if it's along the lines of the Pokémon TCG games on Game Boy.

Speaking of, the beta for the new Pokémon TCG just went live. (Still no Switch version yet)

I never realized how few planners IS has. Though it looks like that role is sometimes handled by graphic designers.
They actually doubled the amount of planners since 2016, they had 141 employees then, of which 11 were planners.

Yeah thats true, although they tried to establish some relationships with western devs most of them vanished again due to differend reasons. Many of them had to do with devs chosing a different path like Silicon Knights, Factor 5, Monster Games or just being bought by other publishers.
In recent years there where Tarsier Studios, Mercury Steam, Tantalus or Image and Form who got investments from other companies or bought out. While i hate consolidation, i still think Nintendo needs to buy more western studios, because they are loosing them everytime after some projects.

I could imagine, if Advance Wars is selling good, that they are looking for Way Forward. Would be a good fit. Another one i can see is Velan Studios. Panic Button would be good for technical support and they're located in Austin like Retro.

Back
Top Bottom