• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

He's the most senior deputy general manager of EPD along with Koizumi and was in that role for EAD. Miyamoto and Tezuka were priming him to take over EAD eventually since the Wii days (if they retained the structure and the Wii U hadn't underperformed, I think he would probably be in the role). Given he's not involved with Pokemon or most of the Mario spinoffs, I don't think he's in charge of external productions though.
I know that. But I'm wondering how EPD delegates the leadership of its internal and external games respectively. Like Eguchi handles most external development, while Koizumi oversees internal development for example? Or does the top management at EPD just work on whatever the hell they want?

Last edited:
Now do we know if those higher-res textures were all-new, AI upscaled, or remade using the source models from their original development? Nintendo's unmatched in internal preservation, so I'd bet they've got the source files/assets of virtually everything they've ever made.
Definitely a mix as far as Mario 64 is concerned. Some updated textures like the Lethal Lava Land Bowser puzzle and Boo portraits in Big Boo's Haunt were remade using the original source art; but on the whole the majority of updated textures appear to simply be upscaled.

I know that. But I'm wondering how EPD delegates the leadership of its internal and external games respectively. Like Eguchi handles most external development, while Koizumi oversees internal development for example? Or does the top management at EPD just work on whatever the hell they want?
At the high level of management, they aren't involved at a notable level. Like Miyamoto, they may get directly involved but, it's more of a case by case basis like Eguchi being one of the developers of Super Mario World means they get involved at a supervisor level in big Mario spinoffs (Luigi's Mansion, Warioware and Paper Mario) and being the creator of Animal Crossing means they are more hands on with that series. It's hard to say why Eguchi is credited on some of these external titles but, Eguchi generally is in charge of EPD Kyoto with Koizumi in charge of EPD Tokyo. Terasaki is likely in charge of external productions themselves. EPD1 and EPD2 are still within Kyoto so sometimes they'll still credit him.

Datamining. People familiar with the intricacies of Nintendo's official emulation have identified it as being iQue's work; distinct enough from the branch of the N64 emulator used for the NSO app (iQue's emulator modified by NERD).
Thank you

Wow so we learned a lot here!

Monolithsoft -- Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Next Level Games -- Mario Strikers Battle League
EPD 9 -- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass
Koei Tecmo -- Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Nintendo Switch Sports is the big mystery to me. It's still assumed we have a 1-2 Switch sequel due this year as well. Could both be EPD4?

Nintendo Switch Sports is the big mystery to me. It's still assumed we have a 1-2 Switch sequel due this year as well. Could both be EPD4?
Most likely but Switch Sports will be led by Shimamura. Not fully sure about 1-2 Switch since we never got a director credit.

Asked in the announcement thread but do we know for sure that it's Next Level Games on Mario Strikers? It definitely looks like them but I haven't seen any confirmation. FEW:3H will definitely be another Omega Force joint, perhaps with Team Ninja helping again.

Asked in the announcement thread but do we know for sure that it's Next Level Games on Mario Strikers? It definitely looks like them but I haven't seen any confirmation. FEW:3H will definitely be another Omega Force joint, perhaps with Team Ninja helping again.
For what it's worth, the eShop page for Strikers doesn't list a developer, it only lists Nintendo as the publisher. Luigi's Mansion 3 does list Next Level as the developer on its eShop page.

Edit -, VentureBeat are reporting it as NLG, but I don't know where they got it from. Seems the safest assumption for now.

Last edited:
Gonna say:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Booster Course Pass - EPD 9
  • Nintendo Switch Sports - EPD 4 (likely the Ring Fit Adventure leads)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes - Omega Force
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League - Next Level Games / EPD 6
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Monolith Soft / EPD 1

Gonna say:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Booster Course Pass - EPD 9
  • Nintendo Switch Sports - EPD 4 (likely the Ring Fit Adventure leads)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes - Omega Force
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League - Next Level Games / EPD 6
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Monolith Soft / EPD 1

I diddn't even think at first that this could be the RFA leads, but it makes a ton of sense now that I remember this game even reuses the leg strap accessory.

For what it's worth, the eShop page for Strikers doesn't list a developer, it only lists Nintendo as the publisher. Luigi's Mansion 3 does list Next Level as the developer on its eShop page.
i think for a long time NLG wasn't confirmed as the dev for LM3 either.
they're 100% the devs for mario strikers tho, no reason to doubt that.

i think for a long time NLG wasn't confirmed as the dev for LM3 either.
they're 100% the devs for mario strikers tho, no reason to doubt that.
Yep, as I added later, it's the safe assumption and has been reported by at least one source.

No reason to doubt Mario Strikers is by NLG. It’s their baby. So glad to see it’s not adhering to the “Mario rules”. That was my worry and why I didn’t want one. Great to see it and it’s day 1!

I'm actually hoping Switch Sports is by ND Cube and CA Production so it can be a full-circle Deca Sports successor.

Quoted by: N75
Nintendo Switch Sports is a toss up really. It could be EPD because the programming leans very heavy into a lot of their RFA/12SW tech. It could also be partially or majorly outsourced to NBG or NDC or Eighting/Grezzo/etc. Really tough to say at this point.

Yeah, that's another possibility. There are still some SMP leads that haven't been seen since.
Just realized one way to tell will be when the online test comes out, if the download's IP rights section shows the Bezel engine, then that will be a big indicator, as every game by ND Cube on Switch uses it and IIRC no other subsidiary uses it. Some 2nd/3rd-party devs used it, like the 99 series and WarioWare.

Just realized one way to tell will be when the online test comes out, if the download's IP rights section shows the Bezel engine, then that will be a big indicator, as every game by ND Cube on Switch uses it and IIRC no other subsidiary uses it. Some 2nd/3rd-party devs used it, like the 99 series and WarioWare.
Brain Age and Big Brain Academy also use it. Probably the only internal EPD games that have used it so far.

So assuming NLG is doing Mario Strikers, that means Grezzo is the one team that has gone the longest without announcing/releasing something? (Besides EPD teams)

Hopefully we get an announcement from them this year and a release in 2023.
I thought Grezzo did Miitopia last year?

So assuming NLG is doing Mario Strikers, that means Grezzo is the one team that has gone the longest without announcing/releasing something? (Besides EPD teams)

Depends on what you count.

Grezzo last worked on the Miitopia remaster which came out last year. Good-Feel released Yoshi in early 2019 and had Monkey Barrels later that year and they announced a Samurai action game but nothing for Nintendo.

Some sort of 2D Zelda seems like a no-brainer, with Oracle remasters using the Link’s Awakening being a possibility.

Going to be interesting too see what’s on the docket for 2023. If I had to guess right now, here’s what I’m thinking:
  • 2D Zelda Game (Grezzo)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (Retro)
  • 3D Mario Game (EPD #8)
  • New DK Game (??)
  • Pikmin 4 (EPD #10)
  • Captain Toad 2 (NST)
  • Mystery Game (EPD #7)
  • Casual Game (EPD #4)
  • Fire Emblem Remake (IS)
  • 2D Platformer (Good Feel)

Yeah in terms of external developers, I would say Good Feel and Grezzo are due for something in 2023.

2023 squad is probably like...

EPD8
EPD10
Retro Studios(Prime 4)
Grezzo
Good Feel
NST
Game Freak (Gen 9)
Intelligent Systems + Koei Tecmo (next Fire Emblem)

The fact that EPD 9's output in the near-term is limited to seemingly largely porting over content from Tour to 8DX makes me think we are going to see another game from them on Switch.

Now that we know almost all 2022 lineup, my guesses for 2023:

• Zelda WW + TP HD
  • new Tomadochi
  • next Good-Feel project (please be Wario Land)
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Nintendogs (these must happen)
  • Fire Emblem 4 Remake
  • Pokémon Gen 9
  • Donkey Kong
  • NES Remix 1+2 (its Famicom 40th anniversary)
  • Mario Baseball

Add some more stuff like unexpected revivals or outsourced projects. Plus DLC expansions fir MK8DX, Xeno 3, Zelda BOTW2 and Splatoon 3.

I would say next Mario 3D, Pikmin 4, Camelot, Monolith Soft, 2D Zelda, Platinium and NLG projects for 2024

I would say next Mario 3D, Pikmin 4, Monolith Soft and NLG projects for 2024
2024 for 3D Mario seems to late, it could be crossgen title but i just don't see that. I think new 3D Mario will be announced this year and release in 2023.

The fact that EPD 9's output in the near-term is limited to seemingly largely porting over content from Tour to 8DX makes me think we are going to see another game from them on Switch.
God i just want to see it already! ARMS2 would be dope but really not for me, hoping for new IP that would be insane they can do it. If they are doing Nintendogs that would disappoint me a little bit.

There's something potentially interesting here in that Switch Sports and 8DX could both be relatively low-resource efforts from EPD (as in, they don't require a large number of internal EPD staff). It really depends on what sort of assistance there is with Switch Sports, as others have said, and whether or not it's significant to the point that the bulk of the work is done externally. 8DX content definitely seems like a very um, efficient use of resources to bolster the subscription business.

Some sort of 2D Zelda seems like a no-brainer, with Oracle remasters using the Link’s Awakening being a possibility.

As much as the Oracles rate as some of my fave games of all time? I honestly hope we get a brand new Zelda from them, first.

We haven't had a brand new, traditional 2D overhead Zelda in almost a decade. I'd take two more remakes, but it would be nicer to get something new instead of something I've already played to death.

I agree, I think doing MK8D DLC rather than a new one can free them up again. The question on my mind is if supporting 2 GAAS projects would stretch them thin between Tour and then up-porting to MK8D. (Although sharing the same content may make that not so big a deal?)

But I do now see potential in ARMS 2 or Nintendogs arriving around 2023.

There's something potentially interesting here in that Switch Sports and 8DX could both be relatively low-resource efforts from EPD (as in, they don't require a large number of internal EPD staff). It really depends on what sort of assistance there is with Switch Sports, as others have said, and whether or not it's significant to the point that the bulk of the work is done externally. 8DX content definitely seems like a very um, efficient use of resources to bolster the subscription business.
I'm interested to see if there is more support for Switch Sports after golf comes out in fall. Hopefully Nintendo is supporting this game into 2023.

I agree, I think doing MK8D DLC rather than a new one can free them up again. The question on my mind is if supporting 2 GAAS projects would stretch them thin between Tour and then up-porting to MK8D. (Although sharing the same content may make that not so big a deal?)
Yeah, I'd say it's not such a huge deal and seems a fairly efficient solution. What's interesting is that, with Kart 8 DX content, Switch Sports, and Splatoon 3 all launching in the next few months, there are 3 games launching in a short space of time which will have some degree of ongoing content support. Kart has a pretty efficient pipeline in place; Sports might be primarily EPD or there might be support coming from somewhere; Splatoon 3 is presumably primarily EPD, especially given they hired specifically for that project. It also makes sense as to why AC wrapped up last year - Nintendo can't really support too many of these types of things on an ongoing basis.
I got the feeling that a large part of the work for the Booster Course Pass is going to be handed to Bandai Namco Studios again.
Yep, this was the next point I was going to make. They have experience with the series, including with Tour.
But I do now see potential in ARMS 2 or Nintendogs arriving around 2023.
Yeah, they're both candidates, I think. But EPD 9 have definitely been the EPD group that's most difficult to parse. Who saw the Booster pass coming, especially at this juncture?
I'm interested to see if there is more support for Switch Sports after golf comes out in fall. Hopefully Nintendo is supporting this game into 2023.
I think this is going to depend on commercial reception and whatever development arrangement is in place. I think the game would certainly benefit from ongoing support, if Nintendo can manage it consistently and do communicate a little better than they have done with some other games.

As much as the Oracles rate as some of my fave games of all time? I honestly hope we get a brand new Zelda from them, first.

We haven't had a brand new, traditional 2D overhead Zelda in almost a decade. I'd take two more remakes, but it would be nicer to get something new instead of something I've already played to death.

Haven’t played the Oracle games so they are new for me 😁

But seriously, I’d love to see Nintendo make Grezzo their 2D Zelda studio, but outside of Ever Oasis they’ve mostly been a port studio.

nintendo-switch-sports-pro-league.large.jpg

go_vacation__switch_-4624330.jpg

I'm eyeballing some combination of EPD 4, NDcube and Bamco as potential devs for Switch Sports. Guess we'll probably get some clue when the playtest launches.

I got the feeling that a large part of the work for the Booster Course Pass is going to be handed to Bandai Namco Studios again.
“Large part” and “again” need clarification. Now there can be some grounds for speculating that Nintendo may offload the entire DLC to NBG to save resources for other things, but this would be a jump from their previous support role. A huge jump actually.

vmXZFyB.jpg

v4QZGLO.jpg

The wording is different : produced approximately half of visual assets x partially implemented in-games and 3D visual assets

Feels like they less involved than Mario Kart 8 where they did half of the content

If Nintendo wants to move away from outsourcing then they should probably start ,either looking for or making, a gaas support team to handle a lot of this work.
They dont want,every studio outsources nowadays,even indie studios,compared to western studios nintendo at least keep at 2/3 partners max

look at a major western game,made by a massive studio with over 500 employees
boo2jOl.jpg

It's nearly impossible for an studio to not outsource nowadays, especially as gaming dev tools get more complex and specific, infrastructure becomes more difficult to house many devs and cheaper manpower is needed.

Back
Top Bottom