• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

until further informations for the game is given, very hard to justify is a 3D or 2D game
I still think if you're hiring people for a "2D action game" you're very much talking about a game on a 2D plane without any movement in the Z axis rather than what that's being done with the Princess Peach game which is on a fixed camera similar to how you wouldn't call Luigi Mansion a 2D game.

Ideally if we know at some point who's developing the Peach game it'll also clear up any confusion (still suspecting it might be Good Feel main studio working on it while their Osaka studio is on Goemon).

always be careful with "why don't they just"-isms regarding game dev (which chances are the average poster knows very little about)
I don't get why Game Freak doesn't just turn the knob that says "Quality" up to 11. Are they stupid or something?

always be careful with "why don't they just"-isms regarding game dev (which chances are the average poster knows very little about)
the Pokemon games are shaclked by the tranmedia empire, that require constant release to feed this, this is unsustainable, constant yearly release is not healthy, one day Pokemon Company/Game Freak will be require to do drastic measure to keep up this tranmedia empire, Game Freak cant act no longer as a small indie company, or Pokemon Company refusing to delay the games, because gen 9/10 need to release in this day, because the anime/merchandise need to feed

Speculatively looking at 2024 and the potential last releases of Switch G1 and the transition to "Switch G2"

Q1: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Some Port/Remaster of GameCube/Wii Title
Q2: Super Princess Peach (big April or June game?), Rhythm Tengoku?

Not sure what else would be safe to launch in this transition after Spring? Maybe more niche titles from their outside teams.

Holiday: Switch 2 Launch
  • Super Mario 3D
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Something Wacky from EPD4

Speculatively looking at 2024 and the potential last releases of Switch G1 and the transition to "Switch G2"

Not sure what else would be safe to launch in this transition after Spring? Maybe more niche titles from their outside teams.

• Super Mario 3D
  • Metroid Prime 4
I'd guess at something enthusiast-facing, like Fire Emblem, as another title for spring or early summer on Switch. Maybe the long-rumoured FE4 remake; but with Engage having wrapped up development over a year before release, and with KT potentially on hand to help out, it wouldn't surprise me if another game in the series is ready or close to ready. Something Yoshi - or potentially Wario Land - from Good-Feel could also be on the cards as a 2024 title for Switch, too. Perhaps even a Woolly World port could be on the cards; or Nintendo rummage around for another Wii U port and bring NES Remix to Switch.

Speaking of Wii U ports, Zelda is the other series I'd keep an eye on - Nintendo have the existing HD remasters which they could repurpose, but personally I'm leaning towards Tears of the Kingdom maybe having a big expansion around the time of the 1 year anniversary. If TotK is getting more content, I'd expect an announcement next month with a wave 1 DLC before Christmas, with wave 2 being a meatier addition.

We'll get some answers before TGS, in all probability, but I still expect the releases to come along steadily, even if some are obviously filler titles (LM2, any late Wii U ports that emerge).

I'd guess at something enthusiast-facing, like Fire Emblem, as another title for spring or early summer on Switch. Maybe the long-rumoured FE4 remake; but with Engage having wrapped up development over a year before release, and with KT potentially on hand to help out, it wouldn't surprise me if another game in the series is ready or close to ready. Something Yoshi - or potentially Wario Land - from Good-Feel could also be on the cards as a 2024 title for Switch, too. Perhaps even a Woolly World port could be on the cards; or Nintendo rummage around for another Wii U port and bring NES Remix to Switch.

Speaking of Wii U ports, Zelda is the other series I'd keep an eye on - Nintendo have the existing HD remasters which they could repurpose, but personally I'm leaning towards Tears of the Kingdom maybe having a big expansion around the time of the 1 year anniversary. If TotK is getting more content, I'd expect an announcement next month with a wave 1 DLC before Christmas, with wave 2 being a meatier addition.

We'll get some answers before TGS, in all probability, but I still expect the releases to come along steadily, even if some are obviously filler titles (LM2, any late Wii U ports that emerge).

Would you say that Peach is the last big Switch 1 game? With a couple of smaller titles released after. Anything like Prime 4 or even the rumored DK game to be Switch 2 premier? I would honestly hold FE4 remake for Switch 2.

the Pokemon games are shaclked by the tranmedia empire, that require constant release to feed this, this is unsustainable, constant yearly release is not healthy, one day Pokemon Company/Game Freak will be require to do drastic measure to keep up this tranmedia empire, Game Freak cant act no longer as a small indie company, or Pokemon Company refusing to delay the games, because gen 9/10 need to release in this day, because the anime/merchandise need to feed
If you believe hearsay then GF sets the schedule for everyone else to follow. If this is the case then TPC has no ability to delay their product since it’s tied into the new game’s release. The multimedia empire isn’t shackling GF, it’s their aggressive output with not adequately staffing up to support said output + other issues, like their engine, not helping.

Everything points to a new Switch coming next year. New consoles always opens up new possibillities. I am excited to see whole new games made for new hardware 😄

So instead of thinking a lot about possible ports, I'm excited about the future.

Would you say that Peach is the last big Switch 1 game? With a couple of smaller titles released after. Anything like Prime 4 or even the rumored DK game to be Switch 2 premier? I would honestly hold FE4 remake for Switch 2.
I think Nintendo will do their best to have a consistent schedule for Switch 1 throughout 2024. Like I said, some of that's going to be filler, but some will be fairly noteworthy new games. That puts them in an interesting position when it comes to balancing their software across both systems, but I think FE's development arrangements might allow for two titles to be in the works at a time.

My guess with Fire Emblem is that a remake by Intelligent Systems and Koei-Tecmo (the Three Houses team, effectively) has been in the works since probably 2020, as a Switch title, and so launches next year. I'd also guess that the Engage team are working on their first Switch 2 title for the series, but that it doesn't launch until mid 2025 or perhaps even early 2026.

As for last big title - my question would be, what's planned with Pokemon? Do we have an RPG next year? Because if so, I would assume that's coming to Switch.

• Super Mario 3D
  • Metroid Prime 4

Prime 4 is absolutely coming to the Switch 1 as they keep advertising in their job ads that it's a Switch 1 game when there's no reason to do so.

The only way it doesn't release on Switch 1 is if it's like a late 2026 game and the Switch 2 is late 2024.

How enhanced it is for Switch 2 is up in the air. Could see options ranging from

1. Literally nothing
2. Just a resolution boost
3. Significant texture and modeling and particle improvements along with resolution and draw distance boost

Which applies to most late Switch 1 games as well.

If you believe hearsay then GF sets the schedule for everyone else to follow. If this is the case then TPC has no ability to delay their product since it’s tied into the new game’s release. The multimedia empire isn’t shackling GF, it’s their aggressive output with not adequately staffing up to support said output + other issues, like their engine, not helping.
TPC needs to commit to more major games in the off years. especially games that can last a whole generation. a new pokemon fighting game for instance. or some other gaas, like a Honkai/Genshin/insert other gaas rpg that can be updated for years

I'm not so sure about that. The Switch could still be supported by Nintendo for a few years after the new hardware has launched.
suported yes, but with remakes/remasters of old games, MP4 would mark the last orginal major game for Switch, kinda like Nintendo did with 3DS(with it final years releasing severals remake/remasters for the console)

suported yes, but with remakes/remasters of old games, MP4 would mark the last orginal major game for Switch, kinda like Nintendo did with 3DS(with it final years releasing severals remake/remasters for the console)

We don't know if that's gonna happen though. We might get one or more surprise titles that will blow everyone's mind. Besides, Nintendo might've looked at PlayStation with their continued support for PlayStation 4.

TPC needs to commit to more major games in the off years. especially games that can last a whole generation. a new pokemon fighting game for instance. or some other gaas, like a Honkai/Genshin/insert other gaas rpg that can be updated for years
I agree, generally they need to do better with their off year games. If they are gonna look at a GAAS RPG then they may as well turn Pokemon into that at this point; probably would help them in quite a few ways.

what game beside Metroid Prime 4, Nintendo can release on Switch to wow everyone? the rumored 2D/3D Donkey Kong game?

Could be, but it could be very well something else. Nintendo isn't really predicatble in that respect.

what game beside Metroid Prime 4, Nintendo can release on Switch to wow everyone? the rumored 2D/3D Donkey Kong game?

Tokyo 3D Mario and Retro FPS are the best two candidates for first-party graphical showcases. DK should definitely have months apart from Mario to get the spotlight and dollars from the Nintendo MCU.

I agree, generally they need to do better with their off year games. If they are gonna look at a GAAS RPG then they may as well turn Pokemon into that at this point; probably would help them in quite a few ways.
the main games have a lot they can do now: seasonal events, FOMO clothing rewards, weekly challenges. a lot of stuff that can be done for free if they only want to charge people for expansion passes. I also think they need some kind of social hub so you can show off. they already have a lot of these, they just don't leverage them better

the main games have a lot they can do now: seasonal events, FOMO clothing rewards, weekly challenges. a lot of stuff that can be done for free if they only want to charge people for expansion passes. I also think they need some kind of social hub so you can show off. they already have a lot of these, they just don't leverage them better
Even the season passes could do better with adding in more content like more regional Pokémon, areas, & things like mega evos.

First party releases for the Switch are very obviously not stopping with the release of the successor. They'll probably at least get close to the system's tenth anniversary before stopping.

I'd imagine some of Nintendo EPD teams will move to the next successor rather quickly and won't look back, especially if you look at development schedules for some franchises (Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, etc).

I'm curious to see how development studios like IntSys, Hal Laboratory will handle things, will the next (3D) Kirby be crossgen or will they fully embrace the rumored new hardware ?

I'd imagine GameFreak will make at least one more mainline Pokemon game on current Switch before fully moving on.

Nintendo has to balance a tight rope between not abandoning the current audience too quickly while also pushing the next hardware onto the spotlight aggressively enough.

I guess overall the crossgen period might be something like what they did with the 3DS to Switch (so around 2 years after the release of the Switch) but in a less "frustrating" manner since we're likely getting backwards compatibility anyway.

I'd imagine some of Nintendo EPD teams will move to the next successor rather quickly and won't look back, especially if you look at development schedules for some franchises (Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, etc).

I'm curious to see how development studios like IntSys, Hal Laboratory will handle things, will the next (3D) Kirby be crossgen or will they fully embrace the rumored new hardware ?

I'd imagine GameFreak will make at least one more mainline Pokemon game on current Switch before fully moving on.

Nintendo has to balance a tight rope between not abandoning the current audience too quickly while also pushing the next hardware onto the spotlight aggressively enough.

I guess overall the crossgen period might be something like what they did with the 3DS to Switch (so around 2 years after the release of the Switch) but in a less "frustrating" manner since we're likely getting backwards compatibility anyway.
Game Freak would preferably get another remake on both systems so they can focus on the successor for the next mainline game after that. Unless they actually managed to optimize their engine for the current hardware, that is.

i believe Nintendo internal studios and it subsidiaries,will focus on both Switch and it sucessor, half working on Switch and other half on Switch sucessor games, or both working on both consoles, Nintendo will simply not abandon Switch ounce it sucessor is launched,expect 3/4 years of games for Nintendo internal studios and subsidiaries for the Switch.

I'm expecting this to be the 1st 'PlayStation' esque transition to Nintendo, whereby most games will have a Switch and Switch 2 version, at least for first couple years.

Exceptions will be Nintendo's high profile games (3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing) + 3rd party releases which can't easily run on the OG Switch.

I'm expecting this to be the 1st 'PlayStation' esque transition to Nintendo, whereby most games will have a Switch and Switch 2 version, at least for first couple years.

Exceptions will be Nintendo's high profile games (3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing) + 3rd party releases which can't easily run on the OG Switch.
so kinda like the transition Sony did for PS5?

Nintendo EPD 7 developed Tomodachi Life, they haven't released a new game since 2021, and those games in 2021 were all in cooperation with other companies (Mercury's team, etc). Are they working on a Tomodachi Life sequel for Switch in 2024?

Nintendo EPD 7 developed Tomodachi Life, they haven't released a new game since 2021, and those games in 2021 were all in cooperation with other companies (Mercury's team, etc). Are they working on a Tomodachi Life sequel for Switch in 2024?
Tomodachi Life 2 with realtime ChatGPT integration!

I don't even know if you can use tensor cores for that

Unless something radically changes with Gamefreak’s development process. I’d say it’s incredibly likely that Gen X will be released on the Switch in 2025. Unless Gamefreak had been working with the Switch Successor for a very long time. Typically in the past, Pokémon hasn’t arrived to its successor system until its 2nd year on the market. They are also still struggling to keep up with the current Switch. D/P released in 2006, 2 years after launch of the DS. XY released in late 2013 after the launch of 3DS in 2011. Pokémon Let’s Go released in late 2018 when the Switch launched in early 2017 but Sw/Sh didn’t arrive until 2019. Given their typical release history, I’d say a RPG release in 2024 on Switch should be expected. They’ve been operating on a 3 year dev cycle since the DS days for Pokémon generations. Unless they reevaluated some things anfter S/V feedback and have decided to put more dev time into Gen X and release it for the 30th year anniversary in 2026.

Arms sequel will be revealed and be called Feet!
I hope so, It was a breath of fresh air in a world where most fighting games still play like SFII (including so-called 3D fighters). Though I can't see Nintendo throwing a lot of internal resources at it due to the sales, so maybe it will return as co-production with 8ing/Platinum or Namco.

Does AC: Aiimbo Festival have a IP database listing similair to SimCity? I haven't found an article that explicly states who directed it.

SimCity likewise doesn't have credits but the database in the link below lists EAD and IS developers as authors of the software, their exact roles aren't revealed but i'm assuming EAD did planning while IS was the programming team.

There a few more games where it's hard to figure out whether they were co-developed or not like the Pax Softonica games. DK'94 has an EAD co-director in the credits along with course designers so that's clearly co-developed but the director from Mole Mania, a game which has been attributed to EAD is from Pax Softonica. What makes it all more unclear is that Pax Softonica is never named in credits or the title-screen from what i've seen.

I think the best overall indicator that something has been co-developed are the directors so i'd still clasify WarioWare: Get Together as co-developed IMO, kind of like how Tank Troopers with a very low amount of EPD staff with co-director Imamura leaving after some time to work on the Star Fox short movie is a collaborative effort, Imamura pitched the concept as well.

I've also seen Star Fox: Command being listed as co-developed but I disagree with that, it just has been heavily supervised by EAD.

Director of Mario Wonder is Shiro Mouri. not the C-team I was expecting

"C-team" ????????? (can we not do the a-/b-/c-team thing that always devolves into implicit or explicit quality prejudice?)

besides, this doesn't really tell us anything in regards to the question of whether they had a lot of youngsters contribute ideas or not. a company vet as director shouldn't be surprising.

edit: -.-

Last edited:
"C-team" ????????? (can we not do the a-/b-/c-team thing that always devolves into implicit or explicit quality prejudice?)

besides, this doesn't really tell us anything in regards to the question of whether they had a lot of youngsters contribute ideas or not. a company vet as director shouldn't be surprising.
It's reference to Chris Dring, who insisted on second half of 2023 being empty for Switch, and found a silly excuse of c-team thing when proven wrong.

Cris Diring is trying to find excuse to suport his agenda, of Nintendo having a major game after Tears of the Kingdom

it baffle me there still people that trough a 3D Donkey Kong can work, just the trough of another mistake like DK64 coming, made my blood pressure down.

• Super Mario 3D
  • Metroid Prime 4
next 3D Mario in septembre/octobre
novembre:yearly Pokemon game(cross-gen)
dezeembre: Metroid Prime 4(cross-gen),here your Switch sucessor launch titles.

I've also seen Star Fox: Command being listed as co-developed but I disagree with that, it just has been heavily supervised by EAD.

This assumption is not correct for a few reasons. But I will begin with a question; do you think Sora/Masahiro Sakurai developed Smash Bros. Ultimate or "heavily supervised?" It's just one guy soo that means Bandai-Namco was the developer and he just supervised. Obviously the production hierarchy allows for less people to have more creative involvement depending on who commissions and leads development on a game. Many times in Nintendo's case with collaborations, they can have less people - but their actions weigh heavier on the creative design of the game -- because it's their game and the other developers involved are the subcontractors. For Star Fox Command, Takaya Imamura is the Masahiro Sakurai. He was the creative lead in the game's development and was lead on the gameplay direction, story direction, and overall production. Imamura even created the unique endings for the game.

Nintendo also did the music and sound effects on top of that.
With Nintendo there's a lot of odd situations like that.

As for PaxSoftNica, they were a subcontractor for Nintendo EAD; and were essentially their Tokyo R&D for a long time. Their last batch of N64 projects were turbulent (Jungle Emperor Leo, Jack and the Beanstalk) and their relationship dried out soon after.

Director of Mario Wonder is Shiro Mouri. not the C-team I was expecting

Unless Yusuke Amano is the Co-Director or like Lead Planner, I seriously wonder what game they would give one of their top new game directors at this point since he isn't on Splatoon anymore.

Last edited:
This assumption is not correct for a few reasons. But I will begin with a question; do you think Sora/Masahiro Sakurai developed Smash Bros. Ultimate or "heavily supervised?" It's just one guy soo that means Bandai-Namco was the developer and he just supervised. Obviously the production hierarchy allows for less people to have more creative involvement depending on who commissions and leads development on a game. Many times in Nintendo's case with collaborations, they can have less people - but their actions weigh heavier on the creative design of the game -- because it's their game and the other developers involved are the subcontractors. For Star Fox Command, Takaya Imamura is the Masahiro Sakurai. He was the creative lead in the game's development and was lead on the gameplay direction, story direction, and overall production. Imamura even created the unique endings for the game.

Nintendo also did the music and sound effects on top of that.
With Nintendo there's a lot of odd situations like that.

As for PaxSoftNica, they were a subcontractor for Nintendo EAD; and were essentially their Tokyo R&D for a long time. Their last batch of N64 projects were turbulent (Jungle Emperor Leo, Jack and the Beanstalk) and their relationship dried out soon after.
Masahiro Sakurai put so much care in the Super Smash Bros games,he developed some healthy isseus, he literally kill himself to give this games to us.

it baffle me there still people that trough a 3D Donkey Kong can work, just the trough of another mistake like DK64 coming, made my blood pressure down.
there's absolutely no reason a 3D DK cannot work. nobody would even say this if DK64 didn't exist and it weren't the punchline to lots of jokes. you can make anything and anything can be good.

Back
Top Bottom