• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

I would probably replace Ring Fit with Luigi's Mansion on your list. RFA is so tied to the hardware itself I don't have confidence it will become a staple series such as the others. I'm sure Nintendo will contiue to explore and pursua similar experinces, but likely under a different IP. In my opinion it is closer to Wii Fit.

I don't think motion gaming is going anywhere with Nintendo, and unlike Wii Fit, it doesn't have a naming problem. I can see Ring Fit becoming a staple franchise.
Imo you can read RFA as a successful and representative stand-in for "experimental blue ocean projects tied to unique hardware peripheral R&D". Labo moved some good units but it wasn't the runaway success that RFA ended up being eventually (impacted by the global pandemic context, naturally).

I feel like we barely know the current structure of the development teams, god knows what will happen if they change it up again
Well we do know the structure, we just don't really know who's running the projects and who is exactly and currently group manager like we used to when they frequently interviewed them (Iwata Asks) and when PR kits had short bios in them for interviewable and present devs.

Holy shit game freak just hired the lead animator from The Last Guardian
lets see how good of an animator he is with less budget

gL88KkE.jpg

/s

Naofumi Ito
As Chief Animator of TLG... but Keita Usami was Lead Animator.

... Who was the bigger one? Lead or Chief? o_O

Some interesting staff from Pokemon Arceus

Last edited:
Some interesting staff from Pokemon Arceus
Ooh, Shinichi Yoshikawa was a Pokémon vet from the 90's and early 2000's on Pokémon modeling for the Stadium and Orre games and even worked on Pokemon Snap as a designer it looks like. Welcome home! :D

The Giga Wrecker director and Little Town Hero art director have lead positions here, along with Kazumasa Iwao who was the planning director for SwSh.

Interesting that Masuda wasn't a producer on this game, only a supervisor.

One of the composers is Hiromitsu Maeba, who previously worked at Capcom. Not sure if they're a GF employee now or just freelance. No Minako Adachi, so she's either the Gen 9 music lead or working on a Gear Project game.

Lots of other no-shows who are likely working on Gen 9.

The Giga Wrecker director and Little Town Hero art director have lead positions here, along with Kazumasa Iwao who was the planning director for SwSh.

One of the composers is Hiromitsu Maeba, who previously worked at Capcom. Not sure if they're a GF employee now or just freelance. No Minako Adachi, so she's either the Gen 9 music lead or working on a Gear Project game.

Any support devs?

How big was the team working on Legends ? Compared to Sw/Sh and Let's Go.

Any support devs?
PROGRAMMING PARTNERS
CREEK & RIVER Co. Ltd.
e-smile engineering Co. Ltd.
EXTREME Co., Ltd.
FLAME Hearts Co., Ltd.

RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT PARTNERS
AtDawn Lab Co., Ltd.
Ryota Takeuchi (Digital Support Ltd.)

3D GRAPHIC DESIGN PARTNERS
AtDawn Lab Co., Ltd.
Confidence Inc.
CREEK & RIVER Co. Ltd.
DIGITAL MEDIA LAB., INC.
EXTREME Co., Ltd.
FLAME Hearts Co., Ltd.
KOJIRO VFX DESIGN
LOTUS Inc.
ORBITALLINK Inc.
PittCompany Inc.
PLANETA Co., Ltd.
RAYLINE STUDIO INC.
Silicon Studio Corporation
Studio-RF Inc.
WINDS CO., LTD.

PLANNING PARTNERS
Confidence Inc.

SOUND PARTNERS
CONNECT+ECHO Co., Ltd.
SuperSweep Co., Ltd.
OMFACTORY Inc.

POKÉMON MODELING PARTNERS
Fellowship Co., Ltd.
Mox Co., Ltd.
RAYLINE STUDIO INC.
SHIFT Inc.
Silicon Studio Corporation
GF seems to have worked with a lot of these companies before, particularly on SwSh. Monolith isn't listed, but neither is Creatures and I know they were involved because the Pokemon CG Studio lead is credited.

Last edited:
Some of the prior roles from some of the key staff on Legends Arceus:

Kazumasa Iwao
Director - Pokemon Legends Arceus
Planning Director - Pokemon Sword and Shield
Director - Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
Game Battle System Design Section Director - Pokemon Sun and Moon

Haruka Tochigi
CG Director, Field Design Team (Lead), and Lighting Team (Lead) - Pokemon Legends Arceus
Art Director and Character Design - Little Town Hero
3D Map Graphics - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee
Pokemon Characters Design - Pokemon Sun and Moon

Masayuki Onoue
Programming Section Director and Field Programming Team (Lead) - Pokemon Legends Arceus
Director and Programming - Giga Wrecker Alt.
System Programming (Lead) - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee
Director and Programming - Giga Wrecker
Event Programming- Pokemon Sun and Moon

Takao Unno
3D Graphics Section Director, Pokemon Production Team (Lead), Pokemon 3D Modeling & Motion Design (Lead), and Delivery Review Team (Lead) - Pokemon Legends Arceus
UI Section Director - Pokemon Sword and Shield
Graphics Section Director - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee
Graphics Director - Pokemon Sun and Moon
3-D Art Director - Pokemon X and Y
Director and Art Director - Pokemon Black 2 and White 2

Yuichi Murase
Planning Section Director and Story Team (Lead) - Pokemon Legends Arceus
Story Planning - Pokemon Sword and Shield
Planning Director - Ni No Kuni II
Planning Support - Layon's Mystery Journey
Planner - Yo-kai Watch 2

Last edited:
I think I found Hiromitsu Maeba's twitter and it looks like they work at Connect+Echo now, who are credited in the game.

Yuichi Murase
Planning Section Director and Story Team (Lead) - Pokemon Legends Arceus
Story Planning - Pokemon Sword and Shield
Planning Director - Ni No Kuni II
Planning Support - Layon's Mystery Journey
Planner - Yo-kai Watch 2
wouldn't be surprised if more Level 5 devs moved to Game Freak

Iwao might be directing the mid-gen games from now on, similar to what Morimoto did in Gen 3/4.

Game Freak has done a pretty good job in propping up the newer/younger employees. Most of the old guard have more or less moved into producer/supervisory or less prominent roles.

As for some of the notable absences: James Turner, Shigeki Morimoto, Maiko Fujiwara, Mana Ibe, Minako Adachi, Shigeru Ohmori (as director).

The description "medieval and stylish" makes me think this is going to be a successor to Tri-Force Heroes but I'm pretty confident that they're working on another 2D Zelda remake.

Grezzo is recruiting for a new, original project.

This is the exact same project they’ve been recruiting for since last year. I’m guessing that it just recently popped up on their English website.

Grezzo “New Project“ summary
  • Action game
  • An “original work”
  • Has likely been in development since Link’s Awakening released in Late 2019
  • Said to have a “medieval” and “stylsih” aesthetic
  • Grezzo looking for artists with experience in creating UI for 3D games (this is vague, as the game could be on a fixed plane)
  • Possibly runs on Unity

interesting to see where third parties who worked close to Nintendo end up as far as tools go. before many used inhouse engines since they worked on 3DS games. now they moved to Unity or, more rarely, UE4

GF seems to have worked with a lot of these companies before, particularly on SwSh. Monolith isn't listed, but neither is Creatures and I know they were involved because the Pokemon CG Studio lead is credited.
would would MonolithSoft be credited? They only assist specific EPD project groups.

Quoted by: N75
I only brought it up because it had been reported recently.
Yea I just read up on some of that talk in the MonolithSoft development thread after posting. I'm glad I don't waste my time with those silly rumors anymore. :D

interesting to see where third parties who worked close to Nintendo end up as far as tools go. before many used inhouse engines since they worked on 3DS games. now they moved to Unity or, more rarely, UE4
It makes sense, for many smaller sized studios maintaining a proprietary engine isn't worth it

As part of my unhealthy addiction to speculation, I'm parking Grezzo New IP in 2023's software line up.
I hope it's an interesting fantasy ARPG/RPG IP would be nice to have more of those kinds of games in the Switch lineup.

Back
Top Bottom