• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Nintendo wanted to expand the pool of talent they could hire so they create a studio in the early 00s in Tokyo which is the biggest pool of talent in the country. The question should be more why they haven’t expanded to other cities or even outside Japan
Thanks for the insight! It really makes sense. Can't wait what comes next for them, if we will first see 3D Mario or that 2D game. If September Direct comes and neither of those is shown than I would be somewhat pissed, it's been so long it even makes me wonder if something post Odyssey was cancelled.

Takaya Imamura wrote a blog post on leaving Nintendo. Below is the DeepL translation.

I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to join a company that I had longed to work for and had been familiar with since childhood. Moreover, being able to work as a developer for so many years was a wonderful experience.

When I joined the company, there was no mandatory retirement system, and I thought to myself, "Okay, I'll keep making games and toys even after I become an old soldier! I was enthusiastic about it. I was determined to work hard as a developer until retirement. I will keep on making games and toys even after I turn 50.

However, after I turned 50, my thinking about the rest of my life began to change a little. Combined with changes in the environment within the company, I was determined to retire and start my own business.

However, when I thought about it, it seemed impossible for me to be both a manager and a creator. I fantasized that I could at least spend my second life as a sole proprietor doing only the work I wanted to do in terms of creativity.

After my 40s, I began to work more and more with outside development companies, and thanks to them, I was able to have relationships with a wide variety of creators. Even though the companies were different, creators became friends with each other, and even those whom they met for the first time were able to quickly open up to each other and talk about everything from hobbies to work. And in the past few years, I have been hearing "I'm going to leave the salaried life eventually, so let's work together someday! and he was blabbing about his sales activities for the future.

But after all, there is no way I'm quitting Nintendo, I still have unfinished business! Some days I think to myself, "I'm wasting my time! I can't wait to be independent and do what I want to do! I was in a period of both joy and sorrow.

But I guess it is hard for a company to have so many creators. Everyone involved in development has a lot of pride. Maintaining that pride is also how they maintain their own identity as creators. It is very difficult to manage such people and make them work as a team. It takes a charismatic person, rather than a good-natured boss, to unite and motivate them.

Nintendo has many charismatic developers who have created blockbusters, so the company is still in good hands. As long as we have popular IPs, we will be fine! In fact, it is a big mistake to say "As long as we have popular IPs, we will be fine".

I digress. In such a time of joy and sorrow, I was asked if I would be interested in a new university opening soon. I was asked if I was interested in it. It is a science university that will have a department for teaching computer graphics and games.

To tell the truth, I hated people who were called "teachers. I was beaten up a lot in elementary and junior high school, and I was told that my hard-drawn pictures were not good enough because they were cartoonish. However, as I listened to their stories, I realized that sooner or later I would have to retire in a few years, and since the university said there would be no problem with side jobs, I decided to retire first! I decided to retire.

I don't know if it is the machine translation, but he seems to be throwing some shades at the new management...? Especially when he talks about the need of "a charismatic person, rather than a good-natured boss" to motivate a team, and the reliance on popular IPs.

Takaya Imamura wrote a blog post on leaving Nintendo. Below is the DeepL translation.

I don't know if it is the machine translation, but he seems to be throwing some shades at the new management...? Especially when he talks about the need of "a charismatic person, rather than a good-natured boss" to motivate a team, and the reliance on popular IPs.

Pretty interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I read it more as him saying popular IPs isn’t enough they also need great charismatic creators and people in general for them to succeed. Which he had just said Nintendo has

I mean, it's pretty evident that something failed with the translation here:
As long as we have popular IPs, we will be fine! In fact, it is a big mistake to say "As long as we have popular IPs, we will be fine".
I wouldn't try to infer much there. Nor would I take much from the charismatic person comment when he goes on to say Nintendo has a lot of charismatic developers.

Not that we really needed it, but confirmation that Seita Inoue (Art Director) is working on Splatoon 3. The patent was originally filed in Japan just days before the game’s reveal.

The patent itself doesn’t seem to be that interesting, just a method to show customization changes on the fly or something like that.

Do we know anything about Vanpool? It feels like they have become just a Kirby support studio this days
A job post a bit ago showed them hiring for a contracted Switch port/remaster/remake of something.

There was a leak (possibly debunked?) from Kirby and the Forgotten Land's files pointing to

Kirby's Dream Collection Remix, and maybe if it has Air Ride or Return to Dream Land, that could be it?

I'm far more hopeful it's something Dillon or Chibi-Robo-related though. They're the sole survivor of the original Love-de-Lic spin-offs (with Punchline and Skip gone). but Onion Games are more or less the "main" successor to Love-de-Lic nowadays either way.

Not impossible they're involved with Dream Buffet also obviously.

Last edited:
A job post a bit ago showed them hiring for a contracted Switch port/remaster/remake of something.

There was a leak (possibly debunked?) from Kirby and the Forgotten Land's files pointing to

Kirby's Dream Collection Remix, and maybe if it has Air Ride or Return to Dream Land, that could be it?

I'm far more hopeful it's something Dillon or Chibi-Robo-related though. They're the sole survivor of the original Love-de-Lic spin-offs (with Punchline and Skip gone). but Onion Games are more or less the "main" successor to Love-de-Lic nowadays either way.

Not impossible they're involved with Dream Buffet also obviously.

Thanks for the insight! It really makes sense. Can't wait what comes next for them, if we will first see 3D Mario or that 2D game. If September Direct comes and neither of those is shown than I would be somewhat pissed, it's been so long it even makes me wonder if something post Odyssey was cancelled.
If there is something 3D Mario, I would expect it for Holiday 2023 at the earliest. Maybe there is a teaser at the end of the next direct, but I wouldn‘t count on it. If it happens next year, then they‘d show it around E3 time.

Next Level Games two weeks ago started hiring for their next project

(In previous hiring ads they didn’t mention them being for their next project even if it was obvious they were, this is the first hiring ad post-Strikers launch)

It seems likely we'll see something from Intelligent Systems soon, which I'm curious about. Their last release was WarioWare Get It Together last year, but they have a consistent output, the last calendar year they didn't release anything (at least according to Wikipedia) was 1997. Even with pandemic delays, a new title seems very likely by mid-2023 at latest. I guess Fire Emblem is the most likely candidate for their next release? Or it could be a new, quirky, small release (like Pushmo or Codename STEAM) that they often put out in between their three bigger franchises (Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, WarioWare).

I have been replaying Paper Mario The Origami King, and I've been reminded that it has some real highs and some real lows, I don't know that I've ever had such wildly mixed feelings about a game. But overall I do think it's a big step back in the right direction, even if it's not on the same level as the first 2 PM games. So I'm very curious to see where they take it next - but the series seems to be a 'once per generation' kind of thing with minimum 4 years between releases, so probably won't see anything for a couple of years at least.

Grezzo is another studio that we could see something from next year. Perhaps another Zelda remake? Between Grezzo and Tantalus, we've been getting Zelda remakes/remasters pretty consistently over the last 10 or so years (Ocarina 3D in 2011, WindWaker HD in 2013, Majora 3D in 2015, Twilight Princess HD in 2016, Link's Awakening in 2019 & Skyward Sword HD in 2021). Although with BotW2 coming next year, perhaps 2024 might be more likely.

It seems likely we'll see something from Intelligent Systems soon, which I'm curious about. Their last release was WarioWare Get It Together last year, but they have a consistent output, the last calendar year they didn't release anything (at least according to Wikipedia) was 1997. Even with pandemic delays, a new title seems very likely by mid-2023 at latest. I guess Fire Emblem is the most likely candidate for their next release? Or it could be a new, quirky, small release (like Pushmo or Codename STEAM) that they often put out in between their three bigger franchises (Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, WarioWare).

I have been replaying Paper Mario The Origami King, and I've been reminded that it has some real highs and some real lows, I don't know that I've ever had such wildly mixed feelings about a game. But overall I do think it's a big step back in the right direction, even if it's not on the same level as the first 2 PM games. So I'm very curious to see where they take it next - but the series seems to be a 'once per generation' kind of thing with minimum 4 years between releases, so probably won't see anything for a couple of years at least.

Grezzo is another studio that we could see something from next year. Perhaps another Zelda remake? Between Grezzo and Tantalus, we've been getting Zelda remakes/remasters pretty consistently over the last 10 or so years (Ocarina 3D in 2011, WindWaker HD in 2013, Majora 3D in 2015, Twilight Princess HD in 2016, Link's Awakening in 2019 & Skyward Sword HD in 2021). Although with BotW2 coming next year, perhaps 2024 might be more likely.
There's the leaked and possibly already completed Fire Emblem game as the next guaranteed thing by IS - we don't know how much of them will be working on it as it has Gust and Koei Tecmo as well. After that, we have the Fire Emblem remake too.

I think we can get another thing by Grezzo next year(new IP? Ever Oasis sequel?), with a brand new 2D Zelda coming in 2024. I would guess 2D Zelda for late 2023, but as we have BotW 2 next spring... I think it will be 2024 now. But they surely can have something else for next year. They had the Luigi's Mansion remake for 3DS in 2018 right before Link's Awakening in 2019.

Next Level Games two weeks ago started hiring for their next project

(In previous hiring ads they didn’t mention them being for their next project even if it was obvious they were, this is the first hiring ad post-Strikers launch)
Luigi's Mansion 4 in 2025 here we goooooooooo

Unless...

Anybody that read the credits of Mario Strikers Battle League knows if everyone from LM3 worked on it? If they started LM4 before wrapping Battle League it can be 2024 tbh.

Another game I definitely expect for either 2023 or 2024 is Astral Chain 2.

There's the leaked and possibly already completed Fire Emblem game as the next guaranteed thing by IS - we don't know how much of them will be working on it as it has Gust and Koei Tecmo as well. After that, we have the Fire Emblem remake too.

I think we can get another thing by Grezzo next year(new IP? Ever Oasis sequel?), with a brand new 2D Zelda coming in 2024. I would guess 2D Zelda for late 2023, but as we have BotW 2 next spring... I think it will be 2024 now. But they surely can have something else for next year. They had the Luigi's Mansion remake for 3DS in 2018 right before Link's Awakening in 2019.
Ah really? In that case, yeah I wonder if it would be like Three Houses where IS mostly just supervised development. Or if there's an original AND a remake, perhaps there's 1 in-house and 1 they're supervising.

As for Grezzo, perhaps even with BotW2 coming 2023, we could have a Zelda remake late 2023, or even late this year given the speed they put out releases (although unlikely probably). And then maybe a new 2D Zelda 2024 from Nintendo in-house. Or as you say, Grezzo could be working on something else entirely. But given the success of OoT3D, MM3D & Link's Awakening remake, I'd say more Zelda from them is likely at some point.

Ah really? In that case, yeah I wonder if it would be like Three Houses where IS mostly just supervised development. Or if there's an original AND a remake, perhaps there's 1 in-house and 1 they're supervising.

As for Grezzo, perhaps even with BotW2 coming 2023, we could have a Zelda remake late 2023, or even late this year given the speed they put out releases (although unlikely probably). And then maybe a new 2D Zelda 2024 from Nintendo in-house. Or as you say, Grezzo could be working on something else entirely. But given the success of OoT3D, MM3D & Link's Awakening remake, I'd say more Zelda from them is likely at some point.
According to the leaks/rumors, the upcoming new FE game is another collaberation between Intelligent Systems and Koei Tecmo's Kou Shibusawa studio, (like Three Houses) but this time with Gust (another KT studio) also brought on board to work on the graphics and character models. The remake is apparently being developed in-house by IS.

One thing I think we can definitively confirm about Grezzo's next project based on their recruitment campaign is that it is not a remake or rerelease of an existing game. It is a "new original work" after all:

2021kinkyu.jpg

Might not even be Zelda considering they didn't do the "Would you like to make a Legend with us?" recruitment they've regularly done for Zelda projects.

Luigi's Mansion 4 in 2025 here we goooooooooo

Unless...

Anybody that read the credits of Mario Strikers Battle League knows if everyone from LM3 worked on it? If they started LM4 before wrapping Battle League it can be 2024 tbh.

Another game I definitely expect for either 2023 or 2024 is Astral Chain 2.
hope not. It's not like i dont want LM4 or like its not happening, but i dont want NLG's output on switch to be luigi's mansion 3 and a mediocre football game (cause soccer doesnt exists). Please be a project that they re just finishing and please let it be something great lol.

One thing I think we can definitively confirm about Grezzo's next project based on their recruitment campaign is that it is not a remake or rerelease of an existing game. It is a "new original work" after all:

2021kinkyu.jpg

Might not even be Zelda considering they didn't do the "Would you like to make a Legend with us?" recruitment they've regularly done for Zelda projects.
Do we even know if it is a Nintendo project? They could have decided to start making games on their own even if of course such a thing is risky

There were leaked screens of a new mainline Fire Emblem title which matched up to information leaked by Nate and Emily, and it seems very likely that's a 2023 title at this point. You're right though - it's almost certainly going to be the first year since 1997 that Intelligent Systems haven't launched a game, unless they have an eShop offering or Nintendo spring a surprise Fire Emblem in December (unlikely, I think).

Right now, a new Fire Emblem in collaboration with some of Koei-Tecmo's studios is near-certain, and odds are it's out by this time next year at the very latest. Beyond that, the other part of the rumour was that Intelligent Systems were remaking Geneaology of the Holy War themselves, as opposed to heavy assistance from KT (given the nature of modern game development, it's pretty certain this game has development support from somewhere, even if IS take the lead themselves). Where all that leaves Paper Mario is really uncertain. It's normally a joint venture between Intelligent Systems and EPD, and we'd assume a 2024 or perhaps 2025 launch for the next new title. It's highly likely that there's new hardware on the market by the time the next Paper Mario launches, too. Assuming Intelligent Systems go back to annual releases after a break this year, I'd guess at:

2023: new Fire Emblem
2024: Fire Emblem remake
2025: Paper Mario
As MondoMega's pointed out, it's highly likely that Grezzo are working on a new, non-Zelda title.
Do we even know if it is a Nintendo project? They could have decided to start making games on their own even if of course such a thing is risky
Bar development assistance on a handful of games, everything Grezzo have done has been Nintendo-published. I don't see any reason for that relationship to end on either side; it gives Nintendo another release, and it gives Grezzo the security that comes with working with a large, wealthy publisher.

Bar development assistance on a handful of games, everything Grezzo have done has been Nintendo-published. I don't see any reason for that relationship to end on either side; it gives Nintendo another release, and it gives Grezzo the security that comes with working with a large, wealthy publisher.
There have been developers that were in such situation and decided to part ways with Nintendo if they didn’t like the projects given by Nintendo. They might want to make something that aren’t remakes and Nintendo didn’t want to fund a new original HD title so they parted ways

Like Metroid, at least for me, it feels inevitable that next Zelda 2D is going to be a new title and not another remake.

As Zelda BOTW2 is a 2023 title, 2024 sound a reasonable date.

Rumor is an original AND a remake yes! I can see both coming next year even, one very early in the year and the other very late in the year. The original is done already so it can come whenever Nintendo feels like releasing it. I think it's unlikely it comes this year tho as it's already packed AF.
Oh, yes please! :)
I didn't even play Ever Oasis but it sure looks like an amazing game and has a lot of potential. Wish they go back to it.

2021kinkyu.jpg

I think they're working on a brand new 2D Zelda as I don't see EPD doing it with BotW2 coming next year. But I also think they can bring Ever Oasis back or maybe be in charge of a new IP.
hope not. It's not like i dont want LM4 or like its not happening, but i dont want NLG's output on switch to be luigi's mansion 3 and a mediocre football game (cause soccer doesnt exists). Please be a project that they re just finishing and please let it be something great lol.
I think NLG would be very suited for an ARMS sequel. The franchise's aesthetic is very similar to what they brought with LM3 and Strikers. I would like to see what they'd do with another Nintendo franchise tho, just don't know which exactly. Zelda spin off??

Rumor is an original AND a remake yes! I can see both coming next year even, one very early in the year and the other very late in the year. The original is done already so it can come whenever Nintendo feels like releasing it. I think it's unlikely it comes this year tho as it's already packed AF.

I didn't even play Ever Oasis but it sure looks like an amazing game and has a lot of potential. Wish they go back to it.

I think they're working on a brand new 2D Zelda as I don't see EPD doing it with BotW2 coming next year. But I also think they can bring Ever Oasis back or maybe be in charge of a new IP.

I think NLG would be very suited for an ARMS sequel. The franchise's aesthetic is very similar to what they brought with LM3 and Strikers. I would like to see what they'd do with another Nintendo franchise tho, just don't know which exactly. Zelda spin off??
y know, use them for something that is dead and has no dumb interference from execs like star fox.

I dont like the idea of using them for arms, too soon. And i doubt nintendo would give them the budget to proper flesh the universe out so we would get strikers again lol. If its going to be another low budget game, at least let it be punch out.

Id like them to work either on something new, which i dont think will happen as nlg seems happy enough to just be in their safe zone or do some dead or semi ded ip like Donkey Kong.

There have been developers that were in such situation and decided to part ways with Nintendo if they didn’t like the projects given by Nintendo. They might want to make something that aren’t remakes and Nintendo didn’t want to fund a new original HD title so they parted ways
Yeah I feel like people forget that. Monster games at one point was consider a pretty major Nintendo partner only for them to stop working with the big N with no warning. Good-Feel seems to be trying to strike out on its own who’s to say Grezzo won’t try the the same

Yeah I feel like people forget that. Monster games at one point was consider a pretty major Nintendo partner only for them to stop working with the big N with no warning. Good-Feel seems to be trying to strike out on its own who’s to say Grezzo won’t try the the same
Good-Feel has said they would keep doing contract work , the studio that makes their self-published titles isn’t the same that makes Nintendo titles even if there is some small overlap. Good-Feel seems to be safe at the moment

Also Monster Games was bought by iRacing this year, we will never see them work for/with Nintendo again :(

Still highly disappointed at what happened with Monster Games, they were the perfect studio to complete the Donkey Kong Country Returns trilogy.
if Nintendo said they could work on F-Zero or Diddy Kong Racing, they'd probably still be working with Nintendo. they're a racing game studio through and through so being bought out by iRacing was a more desirable outcome

if Nintendo said they could work on F-Zero or Diddy Kong Racing, they'd probably still be working with Nintendo. they're a racing game studio through and through so being bought out by iRacing was a more desirable outcome
too bad, all you get is porting xenoblade.

What do you mean you re leaving you re so ungrateful you little piece of sh...

Imagine cutting ties with Donkey Kong and Nintendo to work on... Nascar. 😑
That is what they have always wanted to work, racing games in general. I understand wanting them to work with Nintendo but in this case is understable that they preferred to part ways with Nintendo

Good-Feel has said they would keep doing contract work , the studio that makes their self-published titles isn’t the same that makes Nintendo titles even if there is some small overlap. Good-Feel seems to be safe at the moment

Also Monster Games was bought by iRacing this year, we will never see them work for/with Nintendo again :(
Okay I was unaware that they had a separate team doing their self published games. We should be due for their next Nintendo game then it’s been a few years since Crafted World

Imagine cutting ties with Donkey Kong and Nintendo to work on... Nascar. 😑
how do you think they started? Nintendo was just a means to an end. if anything, it's what makes Monster the most successful of the studios that broke from nintendo, they had a razor focus on what they did well

again, look at the shit nintendo was giving them lmao
It looks like they preferred making Nascar games to being a port studio. Who'd have guessed!
The only ports they handled were DKC Returns and Xenoblade, the former of which they added new content. Excitetruck, Excitebots, Excitebike World Rally, and Pilotwings Resort we're all new games, and they even got to co develop with Retro on Tropical Freeze. It's obvious they love Nascar which hey, more power to them, but i can't help but feel they lost a huge opportunity here.

The only ports they handled were DKC Returns and Xenoblade, the former of which they added new content. Excitetruck, Excitebots, Excitebike World Rally, and Pilotwings Resort we're all new games, and they even got to co develop with Retro on Tropical Freeze. It's obvious they love Nascar which hey, more power to them, but i can't help but feel they lost a huge opportunity here.

I'm very well aware of what Monster Games has developed. And if I recall correctly, the last few things they did were assisting on Tropical Freeze and porting DKC Returns and Xenoblade to 3DS. It seems that Nintendo wasn't so interested in their solo efforts, like Excitetruck and Pilotwings anymore. Perhaps a contributing factor to their departure was that Nintendo was only going to continue offering them ports and development assistance. Of course, that's only speculation. But if they had to choose between Nintendo ports and creating new games in a genre they were passionate about, the choice is obvious.

There's a strange belief amongst Nintendo fans that the greatest thing a third party can aspire to do is make games for Nintendo. I don't think that's true at all. Third parties all have their own areas of interest and expertise. For Monster Games, the true lost opportunity might have been not getting back to Nascar sooner.

There's a strange belief amongst Nintendo fans that the greatest thing a third party can aspire to do is make games for Nintendo. I don't think that's true at all. Third parties all have their own areas of interest and expertise. For Monster Games, the true lost opportunity might have been not getting back to Nascar sooner.
I agree. However, the problem here is Monster Games has lost a significant amount of recognition from the gaming populace. Rarely anyone seems to talk about them anymore. Compare what they are doing now to when they were with Nintendo, Nintendo fans would always speak highly of them and we're generally excited to see what they had cooking up. I commend them with sticking with what they do best, and if they were in danger of being a port studio, I don't blame them from moving on. Still, I can't help but wonder where they would be right now if they stuck around as opposed to whatever they are doing now.

I agree. However, the problem here is Monster Games has lost a significant amount of recognition from the gaming populace. Rarely anyone seems to talk about them anymore. Compare what they are doing now to when they were with Nintendo, Nintendo fans would always speak highly of them and we're generally excited to see what they had cooking up. I commend them with sticking with what they do best, and if they were in danger of being a port studio, I don't blame them from moving on. Still, I can't help but wonder where they would be right now if they stuck around as opposed to whatever they are doing now.
Inbetween making several popular racing games that make a shitload of money vs getting recognition from half a nerds

Well, Nintendo fans are interested in Nintendo devs. There are a lot of good videogames devs Nintendo fans do not talk about, simply because... they aren't part of the Nintendo family, but that's fair. Also, Monster's last three games with Nintendo were nothing to write home about -- two ports, and an expanded version of a mode from Wii Sports Resort. No wonder they decided to focus on what they love.

I don’t think it would have mattered much in the long run. Short of giving them the keys to Mario Kart or something I doubt Nintendo could have kept Monster when they had they opportunity to develop NASCAR games again.

Back
Top Bottom