• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha yeah, GF can make some weird decisions. Besides the BF, I don't know what they'd realistically cut from HGSS though. Maybe Kanto, to later sell as DLC? Ah never mind, that's probably too cynical.

I respectfully disagree, ILCA is a good team filled with talented people. Just look at this screenshot from their One Piece Odyssey game from earlier this year:
one_piece_odyssey_1.jpg

Looks pretty good, right? The way BDSP turned out is not the fault of ILCA, they did the best they could, being forced to work with very tight deadlines during the pandemic. If TPC gives them more development time for their next game i'm sure it could turn out pretty good.
Tbf, One Piece Odyssey also didn't get the best reception

I just find the “they HAVE to announce stuff for after Pikmin 4” argument funny. Switch is the third best selling system of all time, they just released a game that’s going to sell at least 10 million units this year alone and dominate GOTY discussions, and the most famous creative at Nintendo is releasing a passion project in a month. They are in a gooooooood spot right now.

They are in such a good spot right now, that they can drop an absolute stinker at the end of June and they will still be considered one of the top publishers of the year. That’s based solely on what we have now. If we get a direct in June or we have to wait until the end of the year, I’m just glad they are in the position they are in now, and not like they were in 2016.
Nintendo have to announce new games (whether that be first or third party) in order to hit their software targets.

Pokemon Legends Celebi, Pokemon Let's Go Togepi/Marill (Let's Go in name, HGSS 2D-HD in spirit and execution).

Anything less than that is disappointing. Court is in your ball, Fame Greak.

New games are always better, but I'm still excited to see more remasters and ports in the coming months. It reminds me of 2018, when I experienced Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors for the first time. It wasn't the best year for the Switch, but I still had some good times with it.

I wonder how they will handle pricing? If a potential Paper Mario TTYD or F-Zero GX remaster is $60, I guess I would still buy them since I have never played either before. It would be really nice if they went the Metroid Prime Remastered $40 route.

Also, it's not rumored anywhere and I don't expect it anytime soon, but a remaster of the Fire Emblem games on GameCube & Wii would be great. I have heard they are really good, but I have no personal justification for spending hundreds of dollars on eBay for only two games.
I’m hard coping but I believe that TTYD will be more remake than remaster and look a bit more like the games that were built from the ground up in HD (retaining the original character designs of course)
Pikmin Bloom is a videogame, as so is Super Mario Run.
Super Mario Run is actually a really good game for what it is. I got it when it was half of for the Mario movie promo; and I’ve been playing it quite a lot since. The feedback loop of Toad Rally and Remix 10 are actually really addictive, and I guess it’s just nice that you pay a flat rate for all the content in the game, which is a rarity for mobile games these days.

Nintendo have to announce new games (whether that be first or third party) in order to hit their software targets.
And they are going to announce new games at some point this year, it's just most likely not going to be before Pikmin 4 is out.

Switch has some great indies coming this year as well which should not be neglected

Weird West
Gunbrella
Wizard with a Gun
Sea of Stars
World of Horror
Plucky Squire

To name a few, couple that with Nintendo remasters/DLC and some other third party ports and that’s a pretty solid end to the year imo.

who’s to say the Switch 2 can’t come out in November? anything is possible tbh. Dreamcast 2 could be announced next week.

who’s to say the Switch 2 can’t come out in November? anything is possible tbh. Dreamcast 2 could be announced next week.
to not hurt Switch holiday sales, let Switch have it final holiday sales and then Nintendo anounce they next hardware next week closer to E3 season

to not hurt Switch holiday sales, let Switch have it final holiday sales and then Nintendo anounce they next hardware next week closer to E3 season
Switch’s holiday sales are already hurt by it being the 7th holiday the Switch has been on sale. It had it’s final holiday season, it was last holiday. Also I think, if there’s a solid ”cross-gen” period, the current Switch can still be sold well into 2024, even if the new one is out this year. Especially because I think the new one is gonna be at least $500, and Nintendo’s gonna want a low-cost entry point as to not price-out more price-conscious buyers.

Switch has some great indies coming this year as well which should not be neglected

Weird West
Gunbrella
Wizard with a Gun
Sea of Stars
World of Horror
Plucky Squire

To name a few, couple that with Nintendo remasters/DLC and some other third party ports and that’s a pretty solid end to the year imo.
And that's just a small part of what's to come. Potion Craft, My Time At Sandrock, Solar Ash, Mineko's Night market, Pepper Grinder, Lorelei... Indies have no intent to leave Switch.

I don't see the first half of July being any more or less likely than the second half of July.
Oh, I wasn't meaning July. They can announce stuff in September that releases between Sep 23 and Feb 24 to help gain more switch sales.

Nintended updated the Japanese Direct website.

The article is about NoA's Direct page being updated though. It was already discussed regardless, and has never been a definitive sign of an imminent Direct:

This doesn't mean anything. Some people tracked the modification time of the Direct pages back in 2020, but found that it has nothing to do with the date of a Direct.

I wonder if a July Direct means we don't get a September Direct? I doubt Nintendo would do two events in such a short period of time. We could get the rest of the H2 schedule revealed in July and maybe a 2023 game on top of it, then that'll be it for the rest of the year.

I wonder if a July Direct means we don't get a September Direct? I doubt Nintendo would do two events in such a short period of time. We could get the rest of the H2 schedule revealed in July and maybe a 2023 game on top of it, then that'll be it for the rest of the year.
They’d probably host a Partner Showcase then. A lot of devs seem to like using the direct to reveal stuff they’re showing at TGS right after, so there’s gonna be demand for some sort of showcase no matter what the 1st party plans are.

Last year we got a mini partner showcase in late June and then a full direct in mid September. The timeline wouldn't be super different this year if the mini partner showcase was in July instead.

Last year we got a mini partner showcase in late June and then a full direct in mid September. The timeline wouldn't be super different this year if the mini partner showcase was in July instead.
I don't think the July Direct will be a Partner Showcase. It's 100 a normal Direct if it's happening.

I definitely think a partner direct is possible for july, would be a good place to show off metal gear collection for switch or dragon quest 3 remake

I think if anything they could reverse that, doing a General Direct early-mid summer and then a Partner Direct could fill the TGS-week Direct slot just as well since it's usually mostly third-party TGS-leaning games anyway

I’m firmly Team June. The only conceivable way to me the next Direct is a partner showcase is if they have a Pokemon Presents that dates at least Detective Pikachu 2 and then Nintendo bends the investor release calendar rules to include it. But that seems both incredibly unlikely and serves no clear purpose. They have to keep the Switch active and healthy to the successor for multiple reasons so revealing the next batch of games is crucial. The only reason we are in this current situation was because of the Zelda black hole zone they wanted to create which proved super effective. That’s done now, so time to ramp up again.

I think if anything they could reverse that, doing a General Direct early-mid summer and then a Partner Direct could fill the TGS-week Direct slot just as well since it's usually mostly third-party TGS-leaning games anyway
you are not wrong tbh.

So the MK8DX booster pass wave 2 came out July 28 last year...I could see a July 26 Direct shadow dropping wave 5...
You're about a week off. It came out on August 4th. The trailer released on the 28th. Nitpicking aside, Wave 5 will definitely get a date at this coming Direct.

Summer Games Fest and Devolver Showcase tonight will hopefully have some reveals of games that will get a Switch version. Be blinding if Nintendo let Geoff K have a reveal for one of their upcoming remaster titles for SGF
We’ll definitely see something for Switch at one of these shows, but don’t expect Nintendo themselves to give them an announcement. Geoff Keighley would be shouting about it any chance he got if Nintendo finally decided to join SGF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom