• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe at long last Metal Wolf Chaos XD will get it's Switch port from Devolver in just a scant 17 hours 🥲

Summer Games Fest and Devolver Showcase tonight will hopefully have some reveals of games that will get a Switch version. Be blinding if Nintendo let Geoff K have a reveal for one of their upcoming remaster titles for SGF
Such a move would destroy Team June

Summer Games Fest and Devolver Showcase tonight will hopefully have some reveals of games that will get a Switch version. Be blinding if Nintendo let Geoff K have a reveal for one of their upcoming remaster titles for SGF
In a recent Q&A Geoff mentioned that Nintendo is the only company that has not been an official participant. They seem fine with TGA but I think they like the summer time for themselves.

Enjoyed reading the interview above. It’s always been clear to me Nintendo doesn’t attend SGF because they have their own shows around this time, but do attend the Game Awards (they brought three things last year) because they don’t.

In a recent Q&A Geoff mentioned that Nintendo is the only company that has not been an official participant. They seem fine with TGA but I think they like the summer time for themselves.

Jaded take: Nintendo doesn't want to associate with SGF because it means having to announce a Direct more than two days in advance. They did it out of necessity with E3, but with E3 dead they don't need to be feel beholden to that rule (which leads to more agonizing suffering for us trying to gauge when they'll reveal their plans)

Jaded take: Nintendo doesn't want to associate with SGF because it means having to announce a Direct more than two days in advance. They did it out of necessity with E3, but with E3 dead they don't need to be feel beholden to that rule (which leads to more agonizing suffering for us trying to gauge when they'll reveal their plans)
If we are talking about full shows, Nintendo is an enormously bigger brand than Summer Game Fest and a huge part of the pull of Directs is how they drop somewhat unexpectedly. Companies dream about having the pull Nintendo has with Directs. No way they’ll ever announce a show in conjunction with SGF as things stand.

I fully understand the appeal of being able to plan for them ahead of time while I say this. I used to coordinate with my friends to watch E3 together which was super fun. I definitely miss that.

If we are talking about full shows, Nintendo is an enormously bigger brand than Summer Game Fest and a huge part of the pull of Directs is how they drop somewhat unexpectedly. Companies dream about having the pull Nintendo has with Directs. No way they’ll ever announce a show in conjunction with SGF as things stand.

I fully understand the appeal of being able to plan for them ahead of time while I say this. I used to coordinate with my friends to watch E3 together which was super fun. I definitely miss that.
Honestly, that's all I miss. If all Nintendo Directs were just announced even a week early, I'd be content.

Speculation about the actual contents of the direct is a lot more fun (hell I'll be the first to admit those fake 4chan leaks are good for a laugh), but often the discussion is dominated by when it happens for weeks or months on end chasing patterns and website updates and false prophets. I just feel myself get so caught up in it making me frazzled that at times it means I have to step away from the discussion entirely, good and bad. It's a shame but there is no changing the nature of the beast.

E3 speculation was so much fun with two months guessing what games would be revealed. Those were the golden days.

Honestly, that's all I miss. If all Nintendo Directs were just announced even a week early, I'd be content.

Speculation about the actual contents of the direct is a lot more fun (hell I'll be the first to admit those fake 4chan leaks are good for a laugh), but often the discussion is dominated by when it happens for weeks or months on end chasing patterns and website updates and false prophets. I just feel myself get so caught up in it making me frazzled that at times it means I have to step away from the discussion entirely, good and bad. It's a shame but there is no changing the nature of the beast.

E3 speculation was so much fun with two months guessing what games would be revealed. Those were the golden days.
I definitely prefer hyping up the games myself. There’s so many events these days announcements get spread out and with a lot of pining and market for remakes / remasters, it does feel like original speculation takes a huge hit. Definitely a tough time right now with Switch 2 roughly a year or so away which further restricts possibilities.

That said there’s been some fun speculation around Fami. The RPG thread is getting excited with games coming up for example and we’ve had some fun speculation about 2D Mario, Mario Kart, Metroid, and Zelda DLC around the forum at least. I think tonight will be quiet for Nintendo speculation at least with SGF here and potential news unlikely, but it should pick up again.

I'm expecting a late June/early July Partner Direct like last year.

The September Direct will be later in the month since TGS this year starts on the 21st.

Even though a June direct is seeming less and less likely with the Pikmin 4 trailer and the surprise reveal of Odiferous Ungulate, I feel like the final nail in the coffin will be if we get MK8 booster course pass news. Everybody 1 2 switch was never going to be direct material, and as far as I’m aware, the Japanese Pikmin 4 website is saying we still have have 2 more trailers in store between now and release. We know MK8 news is coming Soon™, and if there really is a direct coming up, Nintendo would be out of their minds to not save the wave 5 reveal for it. Plus, not only do we not know what is coming after Pikmin 4, but Pikmin could also benefit from a gameplay overview to sell more people on what’s typically a more niche series.

I also am delusionally hoping that we’ll get a new Donkey Kong game, and this month would be a good time for them to announce one (or at least a port/rerelease of one) now that everyone and their mother has seen him in the Mario Movie and it’s still somewhat fresh in everyone’s minds

It seems P3 Remake is coming to all platforms except Switch. 🙃
fetchimage

the fact that they are there day 1 on xbox where they will sell approximately 5 copies is so fucking funny tho

It'll come to Super Switch U 2 in the year 2029, after a series of low budget, low effort games designed to test whether the audience on Nintendo hardware want to buy weeberific RPGs.

This is 1000% correct. Pretty sad unfortunately.

Similarly I think Partner Directs only exist because Nintendo made contractual obligations to 3rd Parties:

"Shit, we promised Namco and Square Enix we'd market their games in a Direct, but we don't ACTUALLY want to do one. How do we solve this?.......

I know, Partner Directs!"

Like Directs feel more like a burden to modern Nintendo then something they enjoy doing.

Last edited:
It's good to have this feeling again of Atlus kicking you in the face with their platform strategy. Missed those days! Why keep cultivating your fanbase on Switch beyond the already way too late P3-5 ports? :'D

The japanese tweet that is going around mentions "PS, XBOX, PC, etc" as platforms, while the translation provided by the "leaker" themselves only says "PS and XBOX".

Either way, they aren't outright deconfirming Switch as a platform so I would not worry just yet for P3R not coming to Switch

A Partner Showcase in 2023 would have a much different vibe than 2022. The only reason to do one is if some of the third party announcements need to be kept separate from the first party ones for some reason, as Nintendo have pretty clearly telegraphed they've got some first party stuff to announce.

The japanese tweet that is going around mentions "PS, XBOX, PC, etc" as platforms, while the translation provided by the "leaker" themselves only says "PS and XBOX".

Either way, they aren't outright deconfirming Switch as a platform so I would not worry just yet for P3R not coming to Switch

It’s probably switch 2 that’s why they can’t say

Why is this person pretending to be Japanese?:rolleyes:

What even is that supposed to mean? Are they just remaking the base game without adding in the stuff from the mobile port? No FeMC? :/
Knowing how Atlus operates I'd bet it's gonna be a remake of vanilla P3. No FES or P3P content.

I thought they learned their lesson after SH2 bombed
P3R will sell well since it's Persona. Western sales will carry it alone.

Not porting SH2 to Switch was a dumb move. They're probably waiting for Switch 2 for P3R considering it's already a multiplatform game and they ported every other Person's to Switch.

My copium right now is that a) the translation doesn't outright deconfirm Switch and b) they're talking about it being revealed at the Xbox Showcase and the other Persona ports weren't confirmed for Switch back there either. But then again, it's Atlus and Atlus just hates bringing their games to Switch if it's not SMT.

It would not surprise me if Atlus got wind of the next Switch next year and decided to not bother with it Switch anymore

Not porting SH2 to Switch was a dumb move. They're probably waiting for Switch 2 for P3R considering it's already a multiplatform game and they ported every other Person's to Switch.
Nintendo needs to make it clear for every third party out there: "It's not coming anytime soon, don't wait for it. Just port your game to regular Switch". Only supporters left being Square (only for DQ), NISA, Level-5 and WB games is pretty depressing. Everyone else is "waiting".

Well, we will have to wait and see for now. As far as I'm concerned, it's either Switch version or no buy. 🤷 So here's hoping it'll end up being a positive surprise.

To be fair if they plan to do an upgrade of the remake with FES content they can keep it until it launch for Switch 2 for me, i am not going to play an early access Persona 3 remake

Nintendo needs to make it clear for every third party out there: "It's not coming anytime soon, don't wait for it. Just port your game to regular Switch". Only supporters left being Square (only for DQ), NISA, Level-5 and WB games is pretty depressing. Everyone else is "waiting".
Two-three years ago maybe, right now they must have already supplied with dev tools their biggest partners and probably be like "forget Switch, get your games ready for the successor."

Well, we will have to wait and see for now. As far as I'm concerned, it's either Switch version or no buy. 🤷 So here's hoping it'll end up being a positive surprise.
Yeah, last year's panic over P3-4-5 skipping Switch was for nothing. It's best to wait and see.

That said... I am panicking over the chances of MGS collection. I feel it's definitely skipping Switch. Konami is less weird than Atlus about target platforms, but still...
Two-three years ago maybe, right now they must have already supplied with dev tools their biggest partners and probably be like "forget Switch, get your games ready for the successor."
Whatever the situation is, we're still heading towards a season with as few Switch releases as possible. Even compared to "weak" last year's fall season. Forgetting about 115 PS4 owners wasn't easy, forgetting 130 million Switch owners shouldn't be either.

3rd party support was always a gamble for the Switch, this does not surprise me at all.
I think it's fine (and certainly not wrong) to point to the different technical aspects separating Switch development from the more common X86 development pipeline of home consoles and PC, which in turn leads to some games skipping the former if resources are a concern for instance.
On the other hand, it's 2023 and not 2017 anymore, the Switch both has long proven itself to be a viable destination for 3rd party ports as well as being the platform for JP AA releases.

If P3R does indeed skip the Switch, then that's nothing but Sega/Atlus failing to keep up with the reality of the market, and primarily an issue on their end, not Nintendo's or the fans'. Well, maybe an issue for fans insofar as the developer's failing to cater to them.

Yeah, last year's panic over P3-4-5 skipping Switch was for nothing. It's best to wait and see.

That said... I am panicking over the chances of MGS collection. I feel it's definitely skipping Switch. Konami is less weird than Atlus about target platforms, but still....

For sure, we had to wait for the next Direct for a Switch confirmation on the Persona ports last year. So weird.

I think it's fine (and certainly not wrong) to point to the different technical aspects separating Switch development from the more common X86 development pipeline of home consoles and PC, which in turn leads to some games skipping the former if resources are a concern for instance.
On the other hand, it's 2023 and not 2017 anymore, the Switch both has long proven itself to be a viable destination for 3rd party ports as well as being the platform for JP AA releases.

If P3R does indeed skip the Switch, then that's nothing but Sega/Atlus failing to keep up with the reality of the market, and primarily an issue on their end, not Nintendo's or the fans'. Well, maybe an issue for fans insofar as the developer's failing to cater to them.
Sega, Capcom and Namco are the weirdest ones when it comes to Switch support. They know how successful they can be on the system yet still don't have full support like others: NISA, Marvelous, Embracer.

Namco occasionally does late ports but sometimes it's very ridiculous, like this years Digimon Next Order. A 5 year late port. At this point they should have worked for more close launches but still not the case, One Piece Odyssey and Tales of Arise are still missing.

Sega is just being Sega. Total random. Sometimes Xbox misses games for no reason, sometimes the game is Switch exclusive (PS and Xbox need Samba more than Switch does). And their weird reluctance for remastering old games. Their PS2 slate hasn't been touched!

Capcom is the worst one. Aside from few big releases (MH Rise and Stories 2) they're all about re-releasing ROM dumps for crazy prices (NSO is right over there, folks). They're not even considering all the good stuff they released PS2 and onward, let alone big and new projects. They literally come out and said both SF releases were huge successes and they were planning to cash in on that yet nothing followed. Left the money on the table. And I'm seriously guessing they're done with Switch. I'd be really surprised if we get anything else from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom