• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Legitimately I don't think we should take Andy Robinson's 'no games' to be literal - it's either a joke or a way of saying he thinks Nintendo don't have much to share this year. For context's sake consider the following:

• Nintendo have nothing major dated after Zelda
  • Switch is turning 6
  • Nintendo have pulled out of E3

Of course a narrative of 'not much to show' is setting in. I assume that when Christopher Dring first put out the idea that there wasn't much due after Zelda, he'd heard about Nintendo pulling out of E3 before IGN - he did say that Nintendo hadn't booked much event space for 2023, after all. (edit - I should point out here that I don't agree with journalists reaching this conclusion; it's only February, after all, Nintendo are pretty damn secretive, E3 isn't the be all and end all it used to be, and I doubt they let 90% of the next fiscal year slide by with only Zelda and Pikmin 4 as releases, obviously)

For argument's sake, right now this might be true. We might well get a February Direct that concentrates on showing more of Kirby, Bayonetta Origins, and Zelda; which dates Advance Wars; reveals a Mario sports game for June and a 'small' game for July; skips mentioning Metroid Prime 4 or Pikmin 4; doesn't reveal any blockbuster releases (like 2D Mario). Perhaps there's emphasis on DLC for Splatoon 3, Mario Kart, Xenoblade, and Fire Emblem. From the conventional standpoint of Big Games - and Big Games are often what matters in gaming media - there's not much there besides Zelda.

Right now it may well look like Nintendo don't have much planned this year, but it doesn't literally mean there aren't any games to show at all. Personally I do think the E3 pull-out might have wrongfooted journalists; and I wonder if we might all be slightly wrongfooted by a February Direct which only lifts the lid on one or two relatively small releases for summer, only for Nintendo to do their own thing outside of E3 and announce more titles in the summer.

Good news is we shouldn't need to wait too much longer to get a slightly firmer idea of what the year ahead holds.

I do think we’ll see Pikmin 4 next direct if they really are skipping a larger summer event (unless it’s delayed). Because then they would likely have to do a bigger reveal in its own dedicated direct of some sort, but I feel like they’d want to get as many eyes on that as they can given it’s a smaller series.

I promised one more giveaway so here we go.

Predict the exact length of the next Nintendo Direct. $5 US eShop giftcard giveaway.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let's try to guess the exact length of the next Nintendo Direct presentation. We are talking about US version of Nintendo Direct here since the japanese one will actually have the different length as always. What I mean is the Nintendo Direct upload video that will be there after the presentation. So the whole thing from the intro to the final Nintendo logo.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am being generous here and listing you some of the recent Directs and their durations:

September 2019 - announced as roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 38:45.
February 2021 - announced as roughly 50 min. - Ended up being 50:46.
E3 2021 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 38:51.
September 2021 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 40:35.
February 2022 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 40:48.
September 2022 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 45:22.

What are the rules?

You have to quote this post (so I can find your guess easily) and type the exact length you think the Direct will have. For example: 42:22. Your first number being minutes and the second one being seconds. Or just type it as a 42 minutes and 22 seconds. Just type it somehow that I can understand it. If you type in something like "42 minutes" and you are not typing seconds that means your response is 42:00.

If you don't quote this message you are not participating. I will not search many pages just to find your guess. Shoutout to bellydrum for doing the sweet every quote message button.

The person who will guess the exact length or the nearest one will get the giftcard. If more people guess the exact length (it could happen lol) than one of these will be selected by random selection.

You can send your guess until Sunday, February 5th, 12pm UTC. You can edit your guess until this end date.

Good luck.
36:17

I am just glad a Direct is almost certainly very close now. Very excited for it.

Also, random note, but
Dead Space Remake is sooo good

This ‘Nintendo has no games’ narrative these people are spouting really is tiring, really hope we get a Direct week to put that to bed.

I can't process how Microsoft, a company currently making a 70 billion dollar acquisition, can't find the money to afford a bigger marketing booth at a convention.

I'm not really up to date with things surrounding Microsoft, but I'm REALLY struggling to believe that they, out of all companies out there, are struggling to scramble some money together for marketing purposes.
Time to create a gofundme page for those poor, struggling indie devs.

I think you're reading that tweet wrong.

Imo, it implies that MS is the one with no games and Nintendo the one without budget (which doesn't mean they literally have none, but maybe decided not to set a high one for this FY).

I feel there'll be plenty of games just like Q1, it'll simply be remaster, remakes, expansions, and smaller games like Cereza

Aka a transitional year. But hey, that's okay. Even with that in mind, they're still releasing games. They have like 4-5 releases in Q1 alone. I'm sure they didn't front stuff their entire year lol

Looking at the context of his other tweets, I think the budget comment is in regards to MS and them cutting costs after they haven’t been doing too hot on the game side lately. Not that they can’t afford it, but less grabbing from the big MS wallet without having earned more itself in the games department. But doing their own thing is more budget friendly than E3 spending.

Imo, it implies that MS is the one with no games and Nintendo the one without budget (which doesn't mean they literally have none, but maybe decided not to set a high one for this FY).
Nope, he answered someone saying that Microsoft is the one with less marketing budget.

Andy Robinson has been very adamant about Nintendo not having too many "big" releases lined-up for 2023, so I don't think he's talking about MS in this instance.

Considering Microsoft had a show last year, when they truly had "no games" to show that were releasing H2 2022, a lack of games won't stop Microsoft :p

am happy to tell him that

maxresdefault.jpg
giphy.webp

So a potenital Donkey Kong game is NOT major??? Ok then...
Told you guys..

Nothing against anyone on the reporting side, but that's greatly misunderstood. DK is just as big as Mario.

so in my opinion, the "nothing major" thing isn't matter to concern, big games are still on the pipeline.

Once again, Nintendo has no games/major games is entirely subjective. What might not be big to some people might be huge for others.

Metroid Prime and F-Zero GX have the potential to be major sellers purely because they will be coming to a console with a larger install base that what they were on originally (Referring mostly to GC here, Metroid on Wii probably sold well but that console had a different demographic imo)

Relax, I think, if you are a fan of Nintendo’s IP outside of the big boys like Mario and Zelda, this year will be fine.

They will have a summer Direct around E3 dont worry about that, physical and being under the umbrella of the E3 organization cost A LOT of money they can easily avoid.

Thats what Sony did years ago.

I feel like y'all should take insider information about Nintendo with more grain of salt than before because some of these recent rumors don't make much sense.

This entire thing is that Nintendo didn’t want to go to E3 for probably a handful of supporting factors and for some reason we all have to entertain the one theory they didn’t have enough games when we really don’t have to.

Maybe Nintendo don't want to spend millions on E3 any more because they're not convinced it's worth it?

For Zelda, absolutely. Don't think Pikmin 4 or a potential new 2D Mario game would need it either.

Smaller stuff though would benefit from it.

I can't believe a gaming device in its sixth year would have a first-party lineup focused on putting out more core titles aimed at people such as myself instead of mass appeal titles that shift units over the remainder of the system's lifespan. This is so fucked up

So which third party games/ports are we expecting this time? As far as I know, we have previous confirmation of:

-Marvel Midnight Suns
-Kingdom Come Deliverance
-Evil Dead

And leaks about:

-Borderlands 3
-Batman Arkham Collection

Am I missing something, or are we expecting anything else?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm expecting a lot of third party support this year. Considering porting big games usually takes 1-2 years and that in 2020 it was already pretty clear that switch was worth it, I imagine we should start seeing third party ports soon. I mean, we saw great games past year also like NieR, No Man's Sky, Persona or It Takes Two, but I'm expecting to see even more in 2023. And if Nintendo is slowing down the first party launches as suggested, it would be very convenient to rely a bit on big third party games.

This entire thing is that Nintendo didn’t want to go to E3 for probably a handful of supporting factors and for some reason we all have to entertain the one theory they didn’t have enough games when we really don’t have to.
I dont think its inherently incorrect. If nintendo is holding back a lot of their first party line up right now to coincide with the switch successor, it would make sense that they would wait to start talking about it until closer to that consoles launch, if its indeed spring 2024. But this is all conjecture, i certainly dont work there, and im sure most people here dont either. Its fun to speculate!

I promised one more giveaway so here we go.

Predict the exact length of the next Nintendo Direct. $5 US eShop giftcard giveaway.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let's try to guess the exact length of the next Nintendo Direct presentation. We are talking about US version of Nintendo Direct here since the japanese one will actually have the different length as always. What I mean is the Nintendo Direct upload video that will be there after the presentation. So the whole thing from the intro to the final Nintendo logo.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am being generous here and listing you some of the recent Directs and their durations:

September 2019 - announced as roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 38:45.
February 2021 - announced as roughly 50 min. - Ended up being 50:46.
E3 2021 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 38:51.
September 2021 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 40:35.
February 2022 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 40:48.
September 2022 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 45:22.

What are the rules?

You have to quote this post (so I can find your guess easily) and type the exact length you think the Direct will have. For example: 42:22. Your first number being minutes and the second one being seconds. Or just type it as a 42 minutes and 22 seconds. Just type it somehow that I can understand it. If you type in something like "42 minutes" and you are not typing seconds that means your response is 42:00.

If you don't quote this message you are not participating. I will not search many pages just to find your guess. Shoutout to bellydrum for doing the sweet every quote message button.

The person who will guess the exact length or the nearest one will get the giftcard. If more people guess the exact length (it could happen lol) than one of these will be selected by random selection.

You can send your guess until Sunday, February 5th, 12pm UTC. You can edit your guess until this end date.

Good luck.

39:39

Now I want to know, if they don't have anything for e3 could they had just released Zelda in late June and make a huge promotional stand for it at the e3?
That May 12th release is still super strange.

I forgot about that Borderlands 3 leak. I gotta imagine it’s a cloud version considering that game pushed the hell out of last gen consoles. Unless they optimized the hell out of a Switch port.

I think, with all due respect, that Andy Robinson is missing the point. E3 used to be and event Good not only to highlights a Company line up for the FY, but also a Place to build and strenghten business relationship with commercial partner. But in a post pandemic world this are changing, and budget this kind of event i less an less likely. I don't think that a strong/light line up Is the entire core of this kind of decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom