• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminded me that Hyrule Warriors logo also got the 'weathered' treatment.

Hyrule_Warriors_Definitive_Edition_Logo.png
nav-logo-f2db3fa5ed7a5c5d1f5d50b1d7ab82e2.png

Actually, that "weathered" look is the "original" one. Take a look at the OG boxart of ALttP, which was the first time they used this "Hyrule" font.
It definitely looked a bit stoney/weathered.

seing all those "leaked" bits come out feels like a) it was always a twitter direct, or b) they have enough to show to first get the smaller anouncements out of the way?

I'd be very ok with them not showing any "old" (as in already announced) stuff like Kirby. DLC stuff for games like FE or Xeno would be fine though, it's new content at least.

Basically, the only already announced but unreleased games they should show is Zelda, Pikmin and Bayo Origins, the latter not having any Direct presence as of now.

Yeah Direct contents can be difficult to call and I think the whole E3 hubbub also complicates this one. Nintendo avoiding E3 doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to do a summer presentation, though it is a logical inference to make.

So if pulling out of E3 meant Nintendo needed to announce almost their whole line-up this month (bar some eShop games and DLC updates, perhaps 'casual' titles), then you'd have a Direct that's potentially fairly heavy on software announcements. Currently Nintendo have 5 games scheduled for 2023, plus Advance Wars, and 14 is the average on Switch.

On the other hand, you could have the scenario where they announce a release date for Advance Wars, announce games for June and July, and then spend the rest of the time detailing third-party games, DLC, Bayonetta Origins, and Zelda. In that case the second half of the year would still be a mystery - and quite a lot of people would enter their Doom Bunkers, I suspect - but it might mean Nintendo do another Direct at some point after Zelda so that they can confirm titles for the fairly important September through December period.

So, next Thursday?
or tuesday if they are crazy
but wednesday is the most likely as it's after the investors meeting.

Thursday wouldnt surprise me though.
Announcement obvously beforehand.
So that maybe even Monday?

Last edited:
Happy january 34th everyone

i voted team feb way back in december

I don't think we are getting 2 trailers and certainly not 3 and half minute story one. It will be gameplay + story, just like 2017 trailer.
“Just like the 2017 trailer” means we should expect a trailer that’s at least 3 minutes.

Unless we get a Zelda direct or treehouse, I do expect more than just a story trailer at this direct. I said a gameplay trailer because that’s an easy label to give it, but in reality I just mean a reel of various game elements, with some music. Not the same production value as an actual trailer.

I think where I’m at with the Direct roughly for the games popping up is:

Feeling Great About - Zelda TK, Bayonetta Origins, Kirby Epilogue Mode, Mario Kart Wave 4 Tease, Xenoblade Wave 3, New Mario Game, Advance Wars*

* = might be announced beforehand if that Walmart Display rumor is real. I doubt this Walmart rumor.

Seems like a good shot - F-Zero GX HD, Metroid Prime Remastered / Prime 4, New HAL eshop game, New Style Savvy, New Donkey Kong, Splatoon 3 New Map Or Mode Tease

Nope - Pikmin 4, Xenoblade Wave 4, Kid Icarus Uprising Port, Everybody 1-2 Switch (separate announcement if it exists), Splatoon 3 Major DLC

I think where I’m at with the Direct roughly for the games popping up is:

Feeling Great About - Zelda TK, Bayonetta Origins, Kirby Epilogue Mode, Mario Kart Wave 4 Tease, Xenoblade Wave 3, New Mario Game, Advance Wars*

* = might be announced beforehand if that Walmart Display rumor is real. I doubt this Walmart rumor.

Seems like a good shot - F-Zero GX HD, Metroid Prime Remastered / Prime 4, New HAL eshop game, New Style Savvy, New Donkey Kong

Nope - Pikmin 4, Xenoblade Wave 4, Kid Icarus Uprising Port, Everybody 1-2 Switch (separate announcement if it exists)
First round of expansion-pass-exclusive Mario + Rabbids DLC is scheduled for "early 2023", so I definitely think that'll show up too

First round of expansion-pass-exclusive Mario + Rabbids DLC is scheduled for "early 2023", so I definitely think that'll show up too
Forgot that one, yeah that seems like a lock too.

The eshop won’t let me buy the season pass since I redeemed the Best Buy preorder bonus, so I hope they make a work around for people in my position :/

Xenoblade Wave 4 (Big Expansion) is in a weird spot actually. If they want to treat it like a big thing like Torna, they need to announce it at some point. Torna was an E3 announcement, and came out three months later in September, but that was nine months after the launch of the base game. Nine months after Xenoblade 3 is this spring, so if it's on a similar timeframe it would be this Nintendo Direct rather than the next one where they'd want to talk about it.

BUT, wave 3 of the Xenoblade 3 season pass still hasn't been announced and released, and presumably this direct would be the appropriate venue for that. So what do they do? Announce both now, with separate release dates? Announce Wave 4 at the next Nintendo Direct after this one, and have long gaps between the DLC Waves? Announce Wave 3 at this direct, and the expansion by itself as a tweet in April or something? Lot of options here, and I'm not sure which it will be.

Xenoblade Wave 4 (Big Expansion) is in a weird spot actually. If they want to treat it like a big thing like Torna, they need to announce it at some point. Torna was an E3 announcement, and came out three months later in September, but that was nine months after the launch of the base game. Nine months after Xenoblade 3 is this spring, so if it's on a similar timeframe it would be this Nintendo Direct rather than the next one where they'd want to talk about it.

BUT, wave 3 of the Xenoblade 3 season pass still hasn't been announced and released, and presumably this direct would be the appropriate venue for that. So what do they do? Announce both now, with separate release dates? Announce Wave 4 at the next Nintendo Direct after this one, and have long gaps between the DLC Waves? Announce Wave 3 at this direct, and the expansion by itself as a tweet in April or something? Lot of options here, and I'm not sure which it will be.
At best I think they could tease it more, like give it a name and maybe a release month, but I think it is far enough away still where we will not see it in a substantial capacity. I think it’s coming June / July / August which is farther out compared to Torna which is where this Direct should cover to, but they won’t want it near Zelda and I think even though the base game was bumped up I’m not sure the DLC necessarily was. I think they’ll drag it out a bit.

There’s also part of me too thinking this DLC is bigger than Torna, which is crazy because Torna is huge.

At best I think they could tease it more, like give it a name and maybe a release month, but I think it is far enough away still where we will not see it in a substantial capacity. I think it’s coming June / July / August which is farther out compared to Torna which is where this Direct should cover to, but they won’t want it near Zelda and I think even though the base game was bumped up I’m not sure the DLC necessarily was. I think they’ll drag it out a bit.
I could see that, actually. Like they give a new piece of art and go "Xenoblade 3: Inheritance of Clemantines will release in August"?

I could see that, actually. Like they give a new piece of art and go "Xenoblade 3: Inheritance of Clemantines will release in August"?
Yeah something like that. Keep people guessing about it a little longer and give people something substantial to look forward to following Zelda.

If the last Direct was mostly to get us to Zelda, I think the big goal of this one should be to show us that Switch isn’t slowing down any time soon. The Xenoblade Expansion is going to be a big deal.

I've only ever heard of there being a possibility such a thing could happen; but never heard verified plans that such a release was a certainty.

I've only ever heard of there being a possibility such a thing could happen; but never heard verified plans that such a release was a certainty.

Yes.

I thought you mentioned in your podcasts throughout of 2021/2022 always that the Switch Versions do exists and are finished but its only up to Nintendo to decide WHEN to release them rather than IF they are in development….?

Just looked onto the list from the previous giveaway and with the thread page count we are in now, and that we are still roughly 4 days before the announcement and with some math it seems like only 4 people are actually close to the final page count. That will be fun.

How can Nintendo has no games ?, when there's Metroid Prime and F-zero Gx remasters, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 4........etc....

Of course, Andy Robinson doesn't mean for us to take him literally there. But 'Has no games' makes me suspicious that Nintendo aren't going to announce much this month, and that with them having pulled out of E3, folks have decided that must be down to a lack of software.

And sure, sometimes it is true: if Nintendo don't show much, they don't have much. But the timing for Zelda, the Bloomberg reports about production increases, and the 'no games'/light schedule stuff doesn't all add up.

It's funny how he still said no games when the person he is quoting literally said that they only had BOTW at E3 2016. This is really funny. Can't wait for next week when they will announce that yes, they are releasing first party games this year after TotK, namely 2D Mario.

The Direct could be just TotK, and I'd be entirely content. I still can't really believe that it's coming, so seeing them go all-out with marketing would put my mind at ease :p . Also, E3 BotW was the most impressive E3 Ninty's had in a long, long time, so Zelda could definitely carry.

would feel a little bad for those of you that aren't into zelda of course.

Also yeah - I think this is a good point. There'd be new mechanics and new world styles, and presumably they'd come up with things that are unique to the new game.

I'd like to see them play around and return to some worlds and themes from older, lesser celebrated Mario titles; bring back Tatanga as a villain for a Space World; have Wario cameo as a boss; do a new take on the Macro Zone as a world theme; have Foreman Spike in as a villain.
I'd like to see Super Mario Bros. 5! Full on fresh take on 2D Mario. Art style, progression design, music - everything fresh.

Nintendo has no games, and Microsoft of all companies has no budget?! Nani? Not sure how seriously I can take these takes.

So if this guy ends up right, it's gonna be a mix of Nintendo fans hating the guy more than they do already and now worshipping him as their new leaker.

You shouldn't read Andy's tweet as a statement of facts but rather as an injoke about 'has no games' that's been used for over 20 years.

With his follow-up tweet I think he means that Nintendo doesn’t have the budget (= they do have the money, but the games don’t need booths)

Unless that was a joke or I misread it, just seems super weird for people to be doubling and tripling down on the no new games thing when they are literally a week away from showing off 30-40 games, a good chunk likely theirs and likely new.

Just wait a week please.

Did the narrative really go from "no major games" to "no games period"? Geez, at this rate Nintendo is soon going to start retconning already released Switch games out of existence.

To play devil's advocate, let's say the lineup this year is:

Fire Emblem Engage
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Bayonetta Origins
Octopath Traveler II
Tears of the Kingdom
Pikmin 4
Metroid Prime Remake
Advance Wars
Mario spinoff, whether Party or Baseball
F-Zero something (remaster of GX?)

along with DLC expansions for:
  • Xenoblade
  • Pokemon
  • Mario Kart
  • Sparks of Hope
  • TotK potentially
Throw in 3rd party stuff like Hollow Knight, Hogwarts, Minecraft Legends, all the farm games they're promoting, etc...

I don't know... I don't think this is something that's particularly unrealistic if you line it all up. It feels rather similar to 2019, except with a giant Zelda game thrown in the mix.

Last edited:
I promised one more giveaway so here we go.

Predict the exact length of the next Nintendo Direct. $5 US eShop giftcard giveaway.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let's try to guess the exact length of the next Nintendo Direct presentation. We are talking about US version of Nintendo Direct here since the japanese one will actually have the different length as always. What I mean is the Nintendo Direct upload video that will be there after the presentation. So the whole thing from the intro to the final Nintendo logo.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am being generous here and listing you some of the recent Directs and their durations:

September 2019 - announced as roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 38:45.
February 2021 - announced as roughly 50 min. - Ended up being 50:46.
E3 2021 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 38:51.
September 2021 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 40:35.
February 2022 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 40:48.
September 2022 - announced as a roughly 40 min. - Ended up being 45:22.

What are the rules?

You have to quote this post (so I can find your guess easily) and type the exact length you think the Direct will have. For example: 42:22. Your first number being minutes and the second one being seconds. Or just type it as a 42 minutes and 22 seconds. Just type it somehow that I can understand it. If you type in something like "42 minutes" and you are not typing seconds that means your response is 42:00.

If you don't quote this message you are not participating. I will not search many pages just to find your guess. Shoutout to bellydrum for doing the sweet every quote message button.

The person who will guess the exact length or the nearest one will get the giftcard. If more people guess the exact length (it could happen lol) than one of these will be selected by random selection.

You can send your guess until Sunday, February 5th, 12pm UTC. You can edit your guess until this end date.

Good luck.
43 minutes 17 seconds

Also not that I’m trying to start something but isn’t this a little unfair for the first giveaway? I understand it’s just fun, but by having another guessing contest you’re unnecessary increasing the amount of posts in this thread, which makes it unfair on people who guessed. I guessed page 182 or something so I’m WAY off, but say the direct gets announced on page 300, and someone guessed page 298 and someone 300, yes the 300 person wins, but 2 of those pages were taken up by an unforeseeable guessing game giveaway, seems kind of unfair.
Idk just my 2 cents

Last edited:
How can Nintendo has no games ?, when there's Metroid Prime and F-zero Gx remasters, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 4........etc....
Only Pikmin 4 confirmed to be coming after ToTK. And F-Zero and Donkey Kong aren't even rumored at all, just baseless speculations. Could be true, Nintendo might be having a lighter second half, mostly supported by third party or affiliate partner lineup. Like Baten Kaitos remakes or Grezzo's Jet Dragon.

Also not that I’m trying to start something but isn’t this a little unfair for the first giveaway? I understand it’s just fun, but by having another guessing contest you’re unnecessary increasing the amount of posts in this thread, which makes it unfair on people who guessed. I guessed page 182 or something so I’m WAY off, but say the direct gets announced on page 300, and someone guessed page 298 and someone 300, yes the 300 person wins, but 2 of those pages were taken up by an unforeseeable guessing game giveaway, seems kind of unfair.
Idk just my 2 cents
Good point. I haven't thought of this but to be fair there are the same topics every time that takes up even more pages like "Nintendo might have weak second half", "Zelda ports", some bold Twitter statements etc. For example thread went more than 8 pages up just because vouchers video was accidentaly posted online, the same with Nintendo might not be at E3. These things each take even more pages than the giveaway that will not even take 3 whole pages. The point is that there will always be something that will gauge more pages, even if it's just a fake 4chan rumor.
The sending of guesses is ending in 2 days so that it isn't that close to the Direct announcement because when we are approaching that territory the pages will be exploding just because of hype itself.

2022 was apparently the year with the lowest amount of Mario games with 2 releases - Strikers and +Rabbids, so no matter how "light" the schedule is supposedly, there will be at least 2 new Mario games (especially in the year with a big blockbuster movie coming out).

Just looked onto the list from the previous giveaway and with the thread page count we are in now, and that we are still roughly 4 days before the announcement and with some math it seems like only 4 people are actually close to the final page count. That will be fun.

patrick-star.gif

To play devil's advocate, let's say the lineup this year is:

Fire Emblem Engage
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Bayonetta Origins
Octopath Traveler II
Tears of the Kingdom
Pikmin 4
Metroid Prime Remake
Advance Wars
Mario spinoff, whether Party or Baseball
F-Zero something (remaster of GX?)

along with DLC expansions for:
  • Xenoblade
  • Pokemon
  • Mario Kart
  • Sparks of Hope
  • TotK potentially
Throw in 3rd party stuff like Hollow Knight, Hogwarts, Minecraft Legends, all the farm games they're promoting, etc...

I don't know... I don't think this is something that's particularly unrealistic if you line it all up. It feels rather similar to 2019, except with a giant Zelda game thrown in the mix.
There will probably be a surprise or two thrown in - you have to imagine we'll get some kind of significant Mario game to tie into the movie for instance - but if this is the year Nintendo are beginning to wind things down for the Switch 2 launch, then I agree that's a likely lineup.

Maybe that's one reason Nintendo might be going hard on GameCube ports (if the rumours pan out that is). Seems like a good way of padding out the lineup and saving the big guns for the launch of their new console. If we do get a glut of GameCube game ports, I wonder how Nintendo will approach it, maybe make it a whole 'year of the GameCube' thing.

There will probably be a surprise or two thrown in - you have to imagine we'll get some kind of significant Mario game to tie into the movie for instance - but if this is the year Nintendo are beginning to wind things down for the Switch 2 launch, then I agree that's a likely lineup.

Maybe that's one reason Nintendo might be going hard on GameCube ports (if the rumours pan out that is). Seems like a good way of padding out the lineup and saving the big guns for the launch of their new console. If we do get a glut of GameCube game ports, I wonder how Nintendo will approach it, maybe make it a whole 'year of the GameCube' thing.
There will surely be surprises, yeah, whether big or small.

A new Mario platformer is certainly possible and would be great. That said, I’m just not setting that mental expectation for myself as an absolute certainty.

I believe that the end of the year will see either Metroid prime 4, 2D Mario, or Donkey Kong. And the next direct should show one of those.
2D Mario is actually my front runner. There's the movie of course, but there's also the fact that it's not the kind of game which would greatly benefit from being shown on a new hardware, so it's perfect to carry an aging console like the switch through its last holidays. Moreover, I believe that 3D Mario is planned for 2024, alongside the new console (which, I repeat, was probably never planned for the end of 2022 or H1 2023). So getting a 2D Mario the year before is a good strategy.
Finally, there hasn't been a dedicated 2D Mario on switch yet (Mario makers 2 is a different thing), so it's a relatively low hanging fruit. Donkey Kong is a bit of a the wild card, I truly hope we'll get something but if it's in 3D, I hope that it takes inspiration from Mario 3D world rather than having open levels.

I find it hard to take broad statements about Nintendo's overall catalogue made in February seriously when these insiders often don't know about even bigger things like the Mario Kart DLC in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom