• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly if this year's whole line up is TotK, a Xenoblade 3 expansion that is as good as Torna, and a Pokémon SV expansion as good as IoA and CT; that would be enough good switch stuff to make me happy. Especially considering the size of my backlog.

I'm already good this year with Zelda, Pikmin, Advance Wars and Pokemon DLC. Metroid Prime would sweeten the deal a lot, although I'm not quite sure I still believe it exists at this point.

Which one of you posted this to 4chan?

A new Nintendo Direct is coming on February 9th:

-The presentation starts with Metroid Prime 4 with a new gameplay-cinematic trailer coming next year. Metroid Prime HD is coming too in Fall.

-Pikmin 4 shows his first Gameplay, with a New Type of Pikmin. Releases in summer.

-Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp gets a New Release Date on April 7th.

-Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean remake is announced in collaboration with Monolith Soft.

-A New Mario Baseball Game Series developed by Camelot. Releasing in June.

-A New 2D Game from Donkey Kong series releasing in Fall.

-Kirby Return to DreamLand Deluxe shows new Gameplay and presents the "Magolor Epilogue"

-The Game Vouchers are back for the Nintendo Switch Online members.

-The Next Wave for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass with Amsterdam Drift, Singapore Speedway and more. The Wave 4 releases in March.

-New DLC Xenoblade 3 content is announced too.

-A recap from previous games announced like Hogwarts Legacy, Tales of Symphonia, Octopath Traveler II and more.

-Silksong shows in the recap but still with a "2023" release date.

-At the end, a Zelda section. Starts with Aonuma on stage, annoncing new Amiibos, new Switch OLED and finally a 3 min trailer with lore and gameplay, release date on May 12th.

It sounds like someone took everything we've been discussing and make a leak out of it.
That's super boring.
If people make up a direct leak, atleast invent some new game.
This is just the big current rumors all assembled into one.

While games leak, some games just don't, you can't expect everything to leak, Directs always keep atleast SOME surprises, however small.

That's super boring.
If people make up a direct leak, atleast invent some new game.
This is just the big current rumors all assembled into one.

While games leak, some games just don't, you can't expect everything to leak, Directs always keep atleast SOME surprises, however small.

And also forgot F-Zero in the rumors list

I'm not convinced 'light' refers to the number of games Nintendo intend to release; I suspect it refers more to things like budget and target audience. I'd guess we're looking at something like 2021/2020, which had a lot of re-releases and some lower priced titles like Clubhouse Games and Game Builder Garage. It's one reason I wouldn't be surprised to see something from Nd Cube. Family facing things that aren't going to really excite the online crowd, combined with some fan favourite re-releases (like Metroid) and DLC aimed at keeping the core crowd happy.

The bigger question is what Nintendo put out at the end of the year, because I don't think they let that go by without a major release.

New hairstyle from Aonuma in 6 days.
LUNuSFD.jpg

Tears of the Kingdom is deadass gonna be bussin fr fr

I'm not convinced 'light' refers to the number of games Nintendo intend to release; I suspect it refers more to things like budget and target audience. I'd guess we're looking at something like 2021/2020, which had a lot of re-releases and some lower priced titles like Clubhouse Games and Game Builder Garage. It's one reason I wouldn't be surprised to see something from Nd Cube. Family facing things that aren't going to really excite the online crowd, combined with some fan favourite re-releases (like Metroid) and DLC aimed at keeping the core crowd happy.

The bigger question is what Nintendo put out at the end of the year, because I don't think they let that go by without a major release.

ToTk in May and Pokémon SV complete edition in November will be big in terms of sales, but definitely there is space for a couple o mid-tier hit between these two, maybe a family game and hopefully a more single player/core oriented experience.

I mean, they wouldn't want to oversaturated with the IP too hard in the same year.

They're surely just keeping that in their back pockets to fill some space needed later on.

Which one of you posted this to 4chan?

A new Nintendo Direct is coming on February 9th:

-The presentation starts with Metroid Prime 4 with a new gameplay-cinematic trailer coming next year. Metroid Prime HD is coming too in Fall.

-Pikmin 4 shows his first Gameplay, with a New Type of Pikmin. Releases in summer.

-Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp gets a New Release Date on April 7th.

-Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean remake is announced in collaboration with Monolith Soft.

-A New Mario Baseball Game Series developed by Camelot. Releasing in June.

-A New 2D Game from Donkey Kong series releasing in Fall.

-Kirby Return to DreamLand Deluxe shows new Gameplay and presents the "Magolor Epilogue"

-The Game Vouchers are back for the Nintendo Switch Online members.

-The Next Wave for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass with Amsterdam Drift, Singapore Speedway and more. The Wave 4 releases in March.

-New DLC Xenoblade 3 content is announced too.

-A recap from previous games announced like Hogwarts Legacy, Tales of Symphonia, Octopath Traveler II and more.

-Silksong shows in the recap but still with a "2023" release date.

-At the end, a Zelda section. Starts with Aonuma on stage, annoncing new Amiibos, new Switch OLED and finally a 3 min trailer with lore and gameplay, release date on May 12th.

It sounds like someone took everything we've been discussing and make a leak out of it.
This sounds like such a boring direct.

ToTk in May and Pokémon SV complete edition in November will be big in terms of sales, but definitely there is space for a couple o mid-tier hit between these two, maybe a family game and hopefully a more single player/core oriented experience.
I think Nintendo would probably have something brand new in October or November. 2D Mario remains possible from my perspective, and I'll keep predicting an Animal Crossing spin-off until it comes true. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a bunch of 'smaller' titles - Detective Pikachu or another Pokemon spin off, Style Savvy, eShop stuff from HAL, maybe something from Good-Feel through the summer - and something like a Metroid Prime re-release as that core-facing game in October. Major titles like Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, Fire Emblem and Zelda could all end up with expansions later in the year, as well as Pokemon, so Nintendo might think that box is ticked.

I also wonder if we'll see them push more content into the subscription. Some more DLC, as well as the addition of GB/GBA, and perhaps another '99' title; DLC and subs are an easy way of boosting their revenue stream as hardware sales either remain flat or decline.
would releasing TP/WW within the same year as TotK harm the sales of the latter? 🤔

I mean, they wouldn't want to oversaturated with the IP too hard in the same year.

They're surely just keeping that in their back pockets to fill some space needed later on.
I'm agreed with Jorgen here. Nintendo have to be looking at the lengthy development cycle for Zelda - why use a Zelda title in 2023 when Tears of the Kingdom is going to be a huge hit? Better to hold them off for the fallow years ahead. Remastered Zelda games would also be handy cross-gen titles.
hmmm super mario 3d all stars and 3d world + bowsers fury released within 6 months of each other
And one of them was withdrawn from sale, so I'm not sure it's a particularly insightful comparison. I don't see Nintendo doing WW/TP as a compilation or limited release.

You should distinguish between two re-releases launching close to another during an anniversary event for the titular character and the release of the next, brand new big mainline Zelda game.

While it wouldn't be right to rule something out completely due to how random Nintendo sometimes is, but it's safe to assume that TotK is the only Zelda related thing in 2023, maybe even FY 2024 (running until March 2024).

I wouldn't be surprised if NDcube was working on an Animal Crossing spin-off. Some of their staffs are cooking something since 2018.

Since the discussion has swung back around to the Zelda remasters, I have to say, it's humourous to me that's there's a non-zero chance that Twilight Princess could release as the last (or almost last) piece of major software, being the effective swan song for a console for a third time out of four releases.

Last edited:
If the second half was considered light, would it have not made more sense for them to release Zelda November in time for the Christmas season? Along with a new OLED model that might have been a great seller, fill the first half with a few ports.

Now, the only thing about the above that i think would nix that idea is if the new Switch is indeed coming in early 2024. If it got revealed in October then that would hurt sales for any current Switch models.

If the second half was considered light, would it have not made more sense for them to release Zelda November in time for the Christmas season? Along with a new OLED model that might have been a great seller, fill the first half with a few ports.

Now, the only thing about the above that i think would nix that idea is if the new Switch is indeed coming in early 2024. If it got revealed in October then that would hurt sales for any current Switch models.
Nintendo fans would explode if Zelda got delayed again.

Outside of some unforeseen natural catastrophe, there's no chance that TotK would be delayed.

It was clear when Nintendo announced the launch date down to the day.
It's been doubled down with the Nintendo Twitter accounts sharing the "100 days to go" tweet.

It was delayed once already (and pretty much one more time too internally due to COVID). EPD's whole output is behind schedule because of pandemic too. When Aonuma announced delay they could have just said that it would release in vague "2023" and as we see now the weird mid May release is very likely not due to hardware release. Nintendo often sits on games that's true but Zelda is not the case. They know it's highly anticipated so the official roughly 5 months delay isn't that big of a deal. Which makes more and more likely that there is another big Holiday seller ready for this year.

Let’s make our own “light” schedules post Zelda that actually rock. The definition used remember was no ten million+ sellers and 2D platformers are apparently fine.

Here’s what I want:

Pikmin 4
Xenoblade 3 Expansion
2D Mario
3D Donkey Kong
Mother 3
Fortune Street
Zelda Four Swords Adventures With Online Multiplayer + Lite Versions To Let All Your Friends Mooch Off You
Sin And Punishment 3 With Wii Remote accessory support
Metroid Prime 4 Demo Prologue Thing With Prime Remastered

To be frank I don't think Nintendo would care about the momentary internet outrage that would've followed another Zelda delay; 20 million plus are going to end up buying it whether it's May or November 2023. If the end of this year was an issue, then I think Zelda wouldn't be May.

That being said, I don't think it means Nintendo have an equivalent, high budget single-player game for that period. I think they'll treat Metroid Prime as a significant release (and I think, if it were the entire Trilogy, that'd be fair), launch it in October like Dread, and then we're looking at either 2D Mario or something from NdCube.

What if... (© Disney) instead of a new 2D Mario, we get a massive Super Mario Maker 2 update / DLC ?
That ship is a long gone. Not only was the last update announced like last. But it's pretty unlikely that they would release paid DLC to Maker 2 almost 4 year after it's release. Yes, MK 8 Deluxe comes to mind but that's a evergreen seller and still sells million. Maker 2? Of course not.

Let’s make our own “light” schedules post Zelda that actually rock. The definition used remember was no ten million+ sellers and 2D platformers are apparently fine.

Here’s what I want:

Pikmin 4
Xenoblade 3 Expansion
2D Mario
3D Donkey Kong
Mother 3
Fortune Street
Zelda Four Swords Adventures With Online Multiplayer + Lite Versions To Let All Your Friends Mooch Off You

I got my energy bill this week, so I need the post-Zelda schedule to be empty. I'll allow Square Enix to release SaGa Emerald Beyond but that is it. Everything else is cancelled. Special Backlog Direct in June where they just tell people we already have games at home.

The fact that TotK was once announced as a Holiday 2022 title makes it clear that they still have bigger seller ready for this Holiday. 2D Mario it is, can't think of any other title that would be about ready by end of this year and also would not really need wait for new hardware.

A very reliable Marvel leaker.

If he know information about the direct, it is most likely because it contains a game that uses a Marvel license (probably Midnight Sun)

They are not a very reliable Marvel leaker. They’re one of the people in the Marvel movie leaking community who is just known for piggybacking off already existing leaks and rumors and stating obvious predictions as their own scoops. They’ve been banned from the actual Marvel spoilers Reddit under multiple alt accounts.

They’re basically Marvel Zippo except much much worse.

I’m watching Lilo and Stitch the series on Disney+ and found Bill Trinen. That explains why Nintendo’s been so quiet!!!

dsAMpSY.jpg

oENqkcd.jpg

Here’s what I want:

Pikmin 4
Xenoblade 3 Expansion
2D Mario
3D Donkey Kong
Mother 3
Fortune Street
  • Zelda: Four Swords Adventures HD would be a dream; included in NSO + EP plz and available on the eShop for purchase
  • GB + GBA NSO would be an easy schedule filler; especially if things like Golden Sun, Superstar Saga, Wario Land 4, and Metroid Fusion are there on day one
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy HD plz, rather than just Prime 1; alternatively, Prime 1 with the Prime 1.5 concept reworked into a bonus epilogue for the game
  • Team Buddy BOND localisation
  • new Famicom Detective Club (maybe as a budget £25 eShop title)
  • BoxBoy/Part-time UFO crossover on the eShop
  • new Wario World
  • Captain Syrup platformer from Good-Feel & WayForward

In all serious I'm still thinking this year is some combination out of Detective Pikachu, Mario sports/spin-off, 2D Mario, NdCube, maybe Good-Feel and or Grezzo, Pikmin 4, plus some more re-releases besides Kirby/Advance Wars (Metroid Prime, Baten Kaitos, F ZERO GX being the front-runners).

• Zelda: Four Swords Adventures HD would be a dream; included in NSO + EP plz and available on the eShop for purchase
  • GB + GBA NSO would be an easy schedule filler; especially if things like Golden Sun, Superstar Saga, Wario Land 4, and Metroid Fusion are there on day one
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy HD plz, rather than just Prime 1; alternatively, Prime 1 with the Prime 1.5 concept reworked into a bonus epilogue for the game
  • Team Buddy BOND localisation
  • new Famicom Detective Club (maybe as a budget £25 eShop title)
  • BoxBoy/Part-time UFO crossover on the eShop
  • new Wario World
  • Captain Syrup platformer from Good-Feel & WayForward

In all serious I'm still thinking this year is some combination out of Detective Pikachu, Mario sports/spin-off, 2D Mario, NdCube, maybe Good-Feel and or Grezzo, Pikmin 4, plus some more re-releases besides Kirby/Advance Wars (Metroid Prime, Baten Kaitos, F ZERO GX being the front-runners).
Sign me up too for Buddy Mission Bond, New Famicom Detective Club, the Box Boy / Part Time UFO crossover, and a new Wario World game or two for sure.

I forgot to include it in my own list, but I’m feeling good about a new small eshop game from HAL this year and would love for it to either be BoxBoy 5 (BoxBoxBoy and BoxBoxGirl??) or Part Time UFO 2.

I do wonder if Prime Remastered ends up as Prime Trilogy, if the project had been finished in 2021 that’s plenty of time for an outsourced studio to jazz up 2 and 3 for the collection

The fact that TotK was once announced as a Holiday 2022 title makes it clear that they still have bigger seller ready for this Holiday. 2D Mario it is, can't think of any other title that would be about ready by end of this year and also would not really need wait for new hardware.
No. It was never announced as “Holiday 2022”. Just 2022. And then early on in the year changed to 2023

I mean, I'm not even totally convinced yet that they plan on packaging WW and TP together lol.

I think the more time passes and especially with the beginning of a new gen for Nintendo, it will be harder and harder to justify separate releases as the games get older, plus them having had rereleases before. Imagine Nintendo releasing WW for the Switch 2 in 2024, a 22 year old game that released 4 generations ago and rereleased 2 generations ago for 60 dollars. Even Nintendo knows when too much is too much.

The only way they could get away with it was if the games got a huge make over, even more significant than OoT and MM on the 3DS since WW still looks good today, but I don't see that happening. Pretty sure it's going to be a SM3DAS kind of thing (minus maybe the timed availability).

I don’t think the timing of its release this year is much of an indication on how “major” later releases this year may be. There isn’t necessarily a former pattern to reflect that.

Zelda doesn't wait for christmas.
Christmas waits for Zelda.

Lets start a line of Chuck Norris like jokes for Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom