• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, I guess the development of X really didn't go well.
probably had a lot of crunch and development set backs. The initial reveal trailer implied the “story” was going in a different direction.

And the addition of the online of X made things worst. Might be the thing that prevent it getting ported honestly, the way the game was talked about and shown at times, it made it seem like it was meant to be played online.

Honestly X to me is such a bizarre game. I never played it but it seems enormous, how did nintendo allow it to happen in the wii u of all consoles? And the fact it didnt even make 1 mill means that it probably was a major finantial loss right? Xeno 2 doesnt gives me the impression that it was as big, hell i think not even 3 does lol.

I never doubt Nate’s info, he’s right nearly every time, but I do think Xenoblade X will return in the next five years or so. It might not be in the plans just yet, but I think we’ll see it before Xenoblade 4 or whatever their next game ends up being.

Honestly X to me is such a bizarre game. I never played it but it seems enormous, how did nintendo allow it to happen in the wii u of all consoles? And the fact it didnt even make 1 mill means that it probably was a major finantial loss right? Xeno 2 doesnt gives me the impression that it was as big, hell i think not even 3 does lol.
Honestly I feel like 2 wasn’t even as big as 1, I could be wrong though

In terms of sheer sizes of the landmasses

I never doubt Nate’s info, he’s right nearly every time, but I do think Xenoblade X will return in the next five years or so. It might not be in the plans just yet, but I think we’ll see it before Xenoblade 4 or whatever their next game ends up being.
I can't speak for 5yrs from now. Just that they had little interest in revisiting X in recent past. All that could change, of course.

And the addition of the online of X made things worst. Might be the thing that prevent it getting ported honestly, the way the game was talked about and shown at times, it made it seem like it was meant to be played online.
I mean, it sort of is in the final release. The squad missions are always going on while online and are the main way to gain reward tickets. The amount of materials needed to craft even the simplest things are bloated to such an extent that it seems the game was expecting you to regularly take out enemies for the squad mission as you played. And when you're disconnected, the word 'offline' obnoxiously flashes in the top left corner with no way of being turned off to make sure the player knew they were missing out on squad missions.

The online stuff and spending resources to maintain the server probably is the biggest hurdle for a new release. I don't think Monolith would need to handle the porting themselves though. The 3DS version of Xenoblade 1 was handed off to Monster Games. X isn't in need of the facelift Xenoblade 1 desperately needed.

As for the contents of the summer direct itself. Xenoblade 3 already had two story trailers, we need the exploration trailer now. I'm still holding onto hope the Donkey Kong rumor is real and will forever expect it at a direct until it happens. Dragon Quest 3 remake won't be talked about again until Live a Live is out. Those are my only predictions at the moment. I'm 50/50 on Fire Emblem being there.

I'm tempering my expectations for big new announcements this summer. Nintendo went into this year with a relatively large number of games already announced, and announced even more in February. On top of that the most rumored games have been pretty well substantiated.

Three Hopes
Xenoblade
Bayonetta 3
Splatoon 3
Mario + Rabbids
Zelda WW / TP
Metroid Prime Remastered
MK 8 DLC Pack #2

That's a ton of stuff for one direct already. On top of that The Pokemon Company may decide to market Gen 9 in the Direct, and there may be updates on previously released games like Kirby and Mario Strikers.

It's possible they will knock out a few of these with Twitter drops, but the fact remains that the calendar is pretty full. I don't see much space for new announcements beyond small stuff like Style Saavy.

Oh right, they'll need some filler Zelda thing to replace BotW to keep with having a Zelda game every year. WW + TP ports would be nice, but what are the chances Nintendo waits to announce them until after the wii u eshop closes just to get in those panic buys? Having never played the HD versions, I've been on the verge of panic buying them myself.

Last edited:
I can't speak for 5yrs from now. Just that they had little interest in revisiting X in recent past. All that could change, of course.

I hate to ask but have you heard anything more about those long rumored Twilight Princess HD & Wind Waker HD ports? I've been curious if Nintendo ever completed those ports and if they are a sure thing to release on the Switch or if we are still just all hoping that they happen at some point. Been having a huge craving for some 3D Zelda games but most of the good 3D Zelda games are NOT on the Switch. Would have loved HD releases of the 3DS versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask as well but we got stuck with N64 roms instead. Hoping the same doesn't happen with Twilight Princess & Wind Waker and we end up with like GameCube roms down the road. With Nintendo you never really know...

Last week’s Twitter announcements make me doubt a May Direct, so I’m going with June.

Also, #patterns.

I tried to get into Xenoblade X but it was way too involved for my liking. If Monolith ever revisited that game/series I hope they try to make it just a little simpler.

I picked July in the poll. With E3 not holding Nintendo to a deadline, they’re free to do whatever they want. Plus, it was last July they revealed the Switch OLED, and this is the last year I’m holding out hope for a Switch Pro reveal (before I go all in on a true successor), so a July reveal of a Pro during a scheduled Direct sounds good to me.

Hey Nate, out of curiosity, did you get some more information about the new FE recently like Emily? Curious how much is known about it.

Now that the first Xenoblade 1 has been remastered/remade, I bet X is next. But not before Xenoblade 3 and its inevitable DLC, of course.

Hey Nate, out of curiosity, did you get some more information about the new FE recently like Emily? Curious how much is known about it.
I haven't looked further into it but I have no reason to believe the info I had shared back in February is inaccurate. I did enough with teases back then and in the Direct predictions thumbnail image.

I hate to ask but have you heard anything more about those long rumored Twilight Princess HD & Wind Waker HD ports? I've been curious if Nintendo ever completed those ports and if they are a sure thing to release on the Switch or if we are still just all hoping that they happen at some point. Been having a huge craving for some 3D Zelda games but most of the good 3D Zelda games are NOT on the Switch. Would have loved HD releases of the 3DS versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask as well but we got stuck with N64 roms instead. Hoping the same doesn't happen with Twilight Princess & Wind Waker and we end up with like GameCube roms down the road. With Nintendo you never really know...
This is the second time I’ve seen this really weird sentiment that Nintendo is just going to use roms and not the remasters they produced for the WiiU & 3DS. And, it honestly just baffles & confuses me.
Nintendo likes having a yearly Zelda project somewhere in the line up if they can, this year would be an anomaly if they don’t announce anything for their June Direct. TP & WW HD are a matter of time for their release on the Switch. Something like OoT & MM remasters will also happen sometime in the future. It’s just that Nintendo is not entirely interested in bringing their 3DS catalogue to the Switch right now. Both can coexist and be sold.

Edit: @EtherPenguin that is frankly gonna happen anyways because Nintendo is gonna probably announce those game after BotW2 launches; so that they have something Zelda in that year. It really has nothing to do with trying to encourage panic buys which would be a weird negligible plan to attempt.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if this year nothing came out for Zelda because of the delay. They may just fill it with another game, whether another 1st party or a smaller Zelda game.

Last edited:
This is the second time I’ve seen this really weird sentiment that Nintendo is just going to use roms and not the remasters they produced for the WiiU & 3DS. And, it honestly just baffles & confuses me.
Nintendo likes having a yearly Zelda project somewhere in the line up if they can, this year would be an anomaly if they don’t announce anything for their June Direct. TP & WW HD are a matter of time for their release on the Switch. Something like OoT & MM remasters will also happen sometime in the future. It’s just that Nintendo is not entirely interested in bringing their 3DS catalogue to the Switch right now. Both can coexist and be sold.

Edit: @EtherPenguin that is frankly gonna happen anyways because Nintendo is gonna probably announce those game after BotW2 launches; so that they have something Zelda in that year. It really has nothing to do with trying to encourage panic buys which would be a weird negligible plan to attempt.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if this year nothing came out for Zelda because of the delay. They may just fill it with another game, whether another 1st party or a smaller Zelda game.

I suggested this because we have the superior 3DS ports of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and instead got the old N64 roms. With Nintendo bringing a lot of their older systems to NSO, I'm hoping that they won't do the same with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Obviously it's just a discussion as I have no idea what Nintendo has planned. Guess we will have to wait and see what Nintendo decides to do.

It would be utterly insane for Nintendo to port every Wii U game and then go and decide to give us the inferior non-Wii U versions of the only two first party games that got Wii U remasters

If TP and WW are coming, they are the HD ones.

I suggested this because we have the superior 3DS ports of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and instead got the old N64 roms. With Nintendo bringing a lot of their older systems to NSO, I'm hoping that they won't do the same with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Obviously it's just a discussion as I have no idea what Nintendo has planned. Guess we will have to wait and see what Nintendo decides to do.
And, again why would they do that & not both. Like it seems like an irrational fear because they haven’t brought over their 3DS projects; they are just not interested in doing so, currently. That is the main reason the ports have not come.

At this point for the remasters the questions remain when & in what form.

This feels a little early for a Direct thread, but heck if I don't get involved in the discussion anyways!

Xenoblade X was a weird game, it felt like it was trying to be 3 different genres at once. If they're going to port it, I'd want it to be with some significant QOL changes.

This feels a little early for a Direct thread, but heck if I don't get involved in the discussion anyways!

Xenoblade X was a weird game, it felt like it was trying to be 3 different genres at once. If they're going to port it, I'd want it to be with some significant QOL changes.
Well, assuming the Direct will be early June as usual even if no E3 (which is a big if, but go with it) then that's only 7 weeks away, which would have this thread be pretty close to the same length as the one we did back in January. Good enough! Plus hopefully we'll be getting more early summer teases and buildup as we get into May, so that'll help fuel things as well

Okay, SO! A few things coming up that are kind of expected for possible news pre-Direct (starting with 'more dubious' and moving to 'more likely'):

- Persona 25th Anniversary announcement for April: This one is very unlikely to have anything for Switch, and probably is just some merch or another concert or something anyway, but I figured I'd mention it just in case

- Indie World: There has to be an Indie World coming up soon, right? Within the next few weeks most likely? But we're past the usual time so who knows

- Pokemon News: Pokemon has a history of doing updates and news in May, so that doesn't seem far-fetched to get some more info on S/V

- Dragon Quest Day: Dragon Quest Day is May 27th, and last year that's when all the DQ announcements happened like DQ3HD2H, DQ12, DQ10 Offline, etc., so it's entirely possible we'll hear more about some or all of them again on that day this year.

Anything else possible or likely that I'm missing? This is just off the top of my head and pretty vague, but it's something to start with at least

Okay, SO! A few things coming up that are kind of expected for possible news pre-Direct (starting with 'more dubious' and moving to 'more likely'):

- Persona 25th Anniversary announcement for April: This one is very unlikely to have anything for Switch, and probably is just some merch or another concert or something anyway, but I figured I'd mention it just in case

- Indie World: There has to be an Indie World coming up soon, right? Within the next few weeks most likely? But we're past the usual time so who knows

- Pokemon News: Pokemon has a history of doing updates and news in May, so that doesn't seem far-fetched to get some more info on S/V

- Dragon Quest Day: Dragon Quest Day is May 27th, and last year that's when all the DQ announcements happened like DQ3HD2H, DQ12, DQ10 Offline, etc., so it's entirely possible we'll hear more about some or all of them again on that day this year.

Anything else possible or likely that I'm missing? This is just off the top of my head and pretty vague, but it's something to start with at least
Maybe a Final Fantasy 35th Anniversary thing/Square E3 time presentation since we're expecting FFXVI news in the near future, which could have the Pixel Remasters for Switch and other tidbits

Porting from 3DS takes more work and isn’t something Nintendo has made a trend of doing. Porting from Wii U takes way less work and Nintendo has ported tons of Wii U games.

Maybe a Final Fantasy 35th Anniversary thing/Square E3 time presentation since we're expecting FFXVI news in the near future, which could have the Pixel Remasters for Switch and other tidbits
That's possible for sure. FF16 in particular already had its info delayed until 'Spring', which would put it before late June at the latest (assuming they stick to that)

We're definitely going to see a Mario Strikers Battle League overview trailer and press preview sometime in the next couple of weeks. In addition, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak is supposed to get more info in May IIRC.

I’m hopeful-ish on upcoming Persona news. There’s been a lot of Persona news since the anniversary event kicked off and the three that counted for the seven big announcements so far were of decent importance (I would have thought they would have counted the soundtracks being more available as one for example). There’s four big ones left and the last one is super likely Persona 6. That leaves three and I’m guessing one is some new anime announcement. So that leaves two and my final guesses are Persona mainline ports and a new Persona spinoff game. I don’t want to commit to April being a good one, but I’m feeling hopeful still. Since Japan is ahead of us, less than six days to find out!

still think Nintendo will have a june direct but not necessarily at the same date like previous years. Before they had a guarantee with E3 that they wouldn't have another showcase running at the same time as theirs.

Now without E3 they can wait as long as they want before announcing a date to ensure they have the whole day to themselves (assuming they don't associate with Keighley summer event or another show).

I wouldn't even be shocked with a may direct if needs be considering june is stacked but they might just do overview trailers next month instead.

The scenes when Nintendo announces it won’t have a summer Direct because there are too many games coming out in the next 7 months.

Last year they had all those announcements on that date because it was the actual 35th anniversary of the franchise. They don't do an announcement thing like that to mark "Dragon Quest Day" every year. A lot of times it's just a twitter post and itsfuckingnothing.jpg

I think chances are decent we do hear something regarding a Dragon Quest game soon, simply because they have so many announced projects in the works, but I'm just trying to keep expectations in check here. It's not, like, a big announcement day every year.

Part of me wants them to get it over with and release WWHD and TPHD already but I also have 0 interest in replaying these games, ever. And if they come out this year I'm wondering what that might mean for BotW2. As others have mentioned, perhaps in this thread as well, it might point to a "late" early 2023 release.

I didn't find X particularly "bigger" than 1 or 2 to be honest, it just shifted its priority towards exploration at the expense of almost everything else.
It feels unfinished (and the story is unfinished), there are bizzare design choices all over the place, the online mode is basically pointless.

In terms of it being a finantial loss I have no idea, but a lot of the tech was probably reused and improved for the Switch games.

I didn't find X particularly "bigger" than 1 or 2 to be honest, it just shifted its priority towards exploration at the expense of almost everything else.
It feels unfinished (and the story is unfinished), there are bizzare design choices all over the place, the online mode is basically pointless.
Thank you !

if they port WWHD and XCX, Switch will officially eclipse the Wii U as my favorite console ever.

Making a wild prediction: the Doritos Pope is gonna work his magic and finally get Nintendo to be a part of the Summer Games Fest. (Probably only in a small way like a banner before their June Direct or something, but that'll be enough for Geoff.) Gonna be to make up for the lack of Nintendo at TGA last year.

Making a wild prediction: the Doritos Pope is gonna work his magic and finally get Nintendo to be a part of the Summer Games Fest. (Probably only in a small way like a banner before their June Direct or something, but that'll be enough for Geoff.) Gonna be to make up for the lack of Nintendo at TGA last year.

I think Nintendo just prefer to bypass this type of events. He would love to get something but I wouldn't bet he'll succeed to.

Not impossible, but I think chances would have been better if Reggie was still around. Him and Geoff had a great comradery

I thought Pocket Camp was pretty popular. To see it that low is pretty shocking.
I mean, “that low” is 70 million dollars

I think it’s more that the Fire Emblem Phone Zone is a cash crucible and the audience is much more willing to micro that transaction

Betting against the Summer Direct becoming a part of the Geoffening. Geoff might need Nintendo, but Nintendo definitely does not need Geoff.

My favorite thread is back let’s go

Excited for the next Direct for some new ScarVi and DQ3 HD2D trailers updates

Betting against the Summer Direct becoming a part of the Geoffening. Geoff might need Nintendo, but Nintendo definitely does not need Geoff.

If there's a direct coming, we know Geoff is gonna claim it in the name of summer game fest even if it's not a part of it ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom