• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really confused as to why Nintendo would release a new Fire Emblem game in 2022 so soon after Fire Emblem Warriors. It's coming next year for sure.
they kinda couldn't be different games. One is a musou, one is a turn based strategy. It'd be like releasing Mario Kart in the same year as Mario Odyssey.

they kinda couldn't be different games. One is a musou, one is a turn based strategy. It'd be like releasing Mario Kart in the same year as Mario Odyssey.
Fire Emblem isn't a big franchise like Mario/Zelda/Pokemon is though. The announcement of a new Fire Emblem game before Warriors comes out will immediately take the wind out of Warriors' sales.

Fire Emblem isn't a big franchise like Mario/Zelda/Pokemon is though. The announcement of a new Fire Emblem game before Warriors comes out will immediately take the wind out of Warriors' sales.
We've literally seen them do the double release though. 2017 had Fire Emblem SoV and Fire Emblem Warriors release in the same year. And both were even announced in the same Direct.

here's a question

why does Nintendo sit on some games and also put out a new Wii Sports without golf or even full support of the accessory in the box

There can be a multitude of reasons but my best guess is that some games are just financially more important than others. Wii Sports is probably gonna be a big seller and has a lot of potential to be an evergreen titles and system seller so Nintendo probably wants that game out to kick off their fiscal year. But something like Xenoblade or Fire Emblem, those games are targeting a very specific userbase who probably already own Switches.

Also by having more content release later, like with golf in Switch Sports, it allows Nintendo to give the game a second marketing boost.

SO Here's my current thinking regarding The Summer Direct

• Nintendo loves patterns, so mid-June is a safe bet
  • There's a non-zero chance it moves to either Late May or Early July
  • If it DOES move to Early July, it's not only an E3-esque showcase, but a Switch 4K showcase.
  • I think, regardless of Summer Direct, the new hardware is announced in Early July as Switch hardware always is.

DIRECT CONTENT

- I think Metroid Prime HD is getting announced here, but I don't think it gets announced without at least a teaser trailer for Prime 4. They can't pull another Dread announcement and say "Prime 4's development is continuing smoothly, but we have nothing to show." I don't think it'll be much, but we'll get a teaser or something. A "sign of life" so to speak.

- BOTW2 is gonna get a trailer, with Early March date and maybe finally a name. WW + TP HD will be out in late August/early September. Double pack, $60. Available individually on the eShop for $40 each, with a discount on one if you own the other (Bayonetta style). Unless this is also the Switch 4K showcase, they won't mention this, but it'll be in 4K on the new hardware.

- Big Splatoon 3 blow out. Something that makes us go "oh, ok this is actually different from 2."

- A final Xenoblade 3 trailer.

- Fire Emblem Warriors final trailer, trailer for new Turn-Based FE out in December.

- No Mario + Rabbids, that'll be during the Ubisoft whatever

uhh if i think of more I'll post more later lol

Those were on different systems. Different situation.
81RoGudxgtL._SL1500_.jpg

61mX6aJ7vNL.jpg

You were saying?

here's a question

why does Nintendo sit on some games and also put out a new Wii Sports without golf or even full support of the accessory in the box
Just development and release schedules lining up weirdly, most likely. If I had to guess they couldn’t finish Switch Sports in time because EPD resources were tied up in other places whereas IntSys and Koei Tecmo didn’t have these issues with Fire Emblem.

Wait Fire Emblem Warriors got a New 3DS release? How am I just learning about this? I was thinking about the Switch version lol
Yep, both released on 3DS mere months apart. Wasn't a problem then so it shouldn't be an issue now.

Now the question of should it have been on 3DS is an entirely different question lol. Nintendo did a lot more of cross platform Switch/3DS games until 2018 when it was clear that the Switch was a success.

.....can I weasel my way out of looking dumb by claiming it was technically two different systems?

You can only be a true Zelda and Xenoblade fan if you own the New 3DS versions of Hyrule Warriors and Xenoblade 1 which I do.

Some have suggested its gonna be in the realm of Trials of Mana-esque, if thats the case, then I can see it.
Yeah that's the kind of talk that made me reconsider it as maybe being more of a Switch promoted thing(not exclusive mind you, just more promoted around it). I guess we'll see.

I think we have a better chance at seeing Tactics Ogre: Reborn.
Wow I had forgotten all about this/or missed this news. Nice.

And it does seem exactly like the kind of Square game that pops up mid Direct, doesn't it?

I get the feeling either the next direct or the fall one will have the same or more square presence than the feb one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I am down for that

Everyone should play Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia if only for its stellar soundtrack. Probably my favorite OST out of all the FE games I've played.

I'm really confused as to why Nintendo would release a new Fire Emblem game in 2022 so soon after Fire Emblem Warriors. It's coming next year for sure.

Like Emily mentioned before, 2017 saw Nintendo release both Fire Emblem Warriors and Fire Emblem Heroes. It's happened before.

mmm sometimes things are not easy to predict lol.

Hopefully in may (or this week lol) we finally get spring indies direct. We need overview trailers for Mario Strikers and FE 3 Hopes.

In June we should get a new pokemon direct focusing on scarlet/violet, announcing the release date. The week after, Nintendo makes their usual "E3 Direct" with new info on already announced titles + new annoucements like metroid prime 1 remaster (+ prime 4 teaser!), zelda wiiu ports (+ new botw 2 trailer!), a new mario title for december/january and a new third party timed exclusive for early 2023 (i would say resident evil but thats difficult to predict). The same week as E3 Direct they will host a threehouse with gameplay from 2022 titles like Xeno 3, Splatoon 3 and Bayo 3

By end june we should get the Xeno 3 specific direct announcing dlc details.

In august (or late july) we should get a specific splatoon 3 direct and summer indies world.

By september the usual direct with announcements for 2023. I'm sure in either E3 or september one we will see the new fire emblem game. I imagine they will also drop GB/C titles on NSO (they always make these announcements on september direct) and in both june and september directs they will announce new MK8 DX DLC tracks. I expect 1 2 Switch sequel announcement to happen on an individual tweet sometime on second half of this year. A specific direct for Bayonetta 3 may also happen. Advance Wars 1+2 new release date will probably be announced via twitter (either this year or next one).

Finally on december, the usual fall indies world. Don't think they will make new announcements on game awards.

Last edited:
How do you know this?

I think a June Direct blowout is more likely for BOTW2, though the possibility of a Zelda specific Direct later in the year can't be discarded imo. A Zelda Direct in September, shadowdropping Zelda ports and announcing BOTW2's final release date, similar to the Mario 35 Direct in 2020

We also have to think with regards to FE that even if 2022’s second half is packed - Nintendo is STILL more likely to pack it even more than to shift stuff to the first quarter of next year. They are perfectly content having a packed second half followed by a barren first half as we’ve seen.

Especially because BotW2 can carry first quarter hype on its own if it’s a March game.

So I think FE can hit this year. Only reason it wouldn’t is if it’s not ready and delayed which, going by what Emily said, isn’t the case

FF9 remake would be fitting. It’s the most Nintendo esque FF

no I won’t and can’t elaborate
Ikr. Outside of the 1-6, FF9 seems the most nintendo inspired. Its sort of Super Mario RPG, quirky characters and a more funnier story than 7 or 8.

here's a question

I guess you could argue that the way media is being consumed is the reason. A lot of companies in the gaming industry compete not only within eachother but also with other media platforms be it books, series, movies etc. When you give DLC or extra content to a game, people find a reason to go back and play that game again. Furthermore, it is a great marketing tool to make people talk about a game again. Smash Bros Ultimate is a good example of that and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as well.

Nintendo Direct

I think the direct will be as usual in June. I wouldn't be surprised it will be part of Summer Games Fest. With the way Nintendo is doing their current information stream I wouldn't be surprised they give us a "Non-E3" Twitter direct ;p (/s)

here's a question

My guess is both is economically good and helps dev time as well.

We live in a much more info consuming world that updates puts games back on the news. Renewed interest and whatnot helps for these multiplayer type game more. It’s really about asking for someone’s time nowadays. I’m sure free updates to other games have cause spike to go up in sales and engagement, even if minor, it seems to do enough to drive this format.

It’s also the reason for the drip feed content for the legacy consoles. Probably learned that renewed interest goes much better and worth getting criticism cause that’ll just go away.

Honestly in terms of the FE situation I'm mostly confused about who's out here saying "Ah, yeah, I was interested in this FE musou but now that a mainline, tactical RPG is coming out in 6 months, well, that's a different story"

Even if Nintendo does their own thing in June, you just know Keighley is gonna try and tack his name on it
Keighley only puts his name on stuff when there's an agreement in place. Even though his brand isn't as well-established as say, E3, I still think it would potentially be advantageous for Nintendo to work with him on his summer event.

How well did Fire Emblem SoV actually do though?
I recall Nintendo saying they were happy with its sales. It wasn't a HUGE seller or anything, definitely well below Awakening and Fates (and now Three Houses of course) but tbf it came out after the Switch, and the 3ds and its software declined heavily immediately after the switch released. I bet the rumored in-development remake will do significantly better sales-wise.

Everyone should play Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia if only for its stellar soundtrack. Probably my favorite OST out of all the FE games I've played.
By far the best FE OST imo. Like, Fates OST was already amazing as is, and a huge step up over Awakening, yet SoV still managed to blow it out of the water. I hope we can see a similar evolution of FE OST quality in the Switch era—the upcoming new FE's soundtrack will hopefully be a huge step up over 3H's (already very good) OST, and FE4R will be even better! The remade music is legit the thing I'm most excited for concerning the FE4 remake given how SoV's music turned out lol.

Both games are focused on a smaller audience. Why buy Warriors when there's a new mainline game coming out a few months after? Especially if they announce it before Warriors launches.
I think this reasoning is flawed. Warriors games are very different to Fire Emblem games, and even though there's likely a reasonable crossover in target audience (due to the brand recognition) neither game will scratch the itch the other would. I also don't think the size of the franchise is that relevant - either they anticipate such a move would cannibalize sales, in which case they would not do it, or they don't.

Both games are focused on a smaller audience. Why buy Warriors when there's a new mainline game coming out a few months after? Especially if they announce it before Warriors launches.
But you could easily flip this around and use announcing a new mainline game as a positive for Warriors' sales. Crossover Warriors games appeal to the core fanbase. By announcing a new mainline Fire Emblem game, you are activating the fanbase, getting them excited, and reminding them they're happier with more Fire Emblem in their lives and hey, here's a spinoff to tide you over until then. Marketing for the next mainline game can work as marketing for Three Hopes because hype creates hype.

And I don't think I see you making this argument, but I still want to mention it in case others are thinking it. Nintendo likely isn't expecting much legs on Three Hopes. Age of Calamity is tied to one of the most beloved games of all time, it sold three million copies in the first four days, and then took over a year to sell the next one million. So releasing a new mainline Fire Emblem a few months after isn't going to eat into sales. Again, you're not making that argument, you're talking about the immediate sales of Three Hopes, but I'm sure someone is thinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom