• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am kinda sad that Splatoon 3 will not get it's trailer in the next big Direct. Splatoon is big, it will get it's own Direct in August but I more in General Direct would be neat.

Well, big grain of salt and such, as I don't know how that would be possible, but it might be RDR2 after all?
As much as I want to play RDR2 on Switch, I’d rather the full experience on the revision or successor. The experience would be visually gutted on the current hardware - Switch just doesn’t do photo realism well, especially at that incredible scale.

I kinda hope it’s not read dead 2, I finished once and it’s the type of game that once I know the story I do not want to replay it again the gameplay is bad and without the story to move it along it’s not worth it. But I really cannot see any other game that would make sense

I’m expecting also a portal shadow drop.

I am kinda sad that Splatoon 3 will not get it's trailer in the next big Direct. Splatoon is big, it will get it's own Direct in August but I more in General Direct

I think they kinda need to show something ASAP, or else they will keep this negative "it's just another Splatoon game" reputation until right up to release.

I think I’m expecting a let down on the level of the first few expectations because I’m expecting the worst, even with a Mini, we’ll get Strikers and Mario Kart DLC, two things I really wanna see, but a partner showcase that doesn’t even have Bayo 3? That’s the real let down

Well, big grain of salt and such, as I don't know how that would be possible, but it might be RDR2 after all?
I'd still put all my money on Black Ops 4.

Everything aligns:
  • In 2018 Nate said Call of Duty is coming to Switch. It never did.
  • BLOPS 4 is the last CoD game Treyarch did all by themselves before becoming a support studio. Treyarch is experienced in porting games to Nintendo platforms, including some very "miracle" port jobs.
  • It literally got leaked earlier this year.

I've been moving further and further away from third party games on switch so a partner direct or any kind of direct focusing on third party games will probably end up being a bit crap for me. Though it they announce Persona and Nonary Games I'll at least be pretty happy with that.

I swear though, this direct sounds like it's getting worse and worse every time I browse this thread. By next time it'll turn out there's no direct and it's just a mario movie trailer or something haha.

Are we feeling confident that Goldeneye 007 Remaster will be shown next week please?

No. I'm afraid that we will only get the original game while the remaster will be on Xbox.

It's strange, I know something is coming but I'm not really excited for it; the games I'm interested in are either too far from release, or third party. And I don't believe that Nintendo had another significant ace up their sleeve for 2022. I'll watch whatever they put out nevertheless and I'm low-key hoping for several partner directs throughout summer to receive updates on third party games.

I am kinda sad that Splatoon 3 will not get it's trailer in the next big Direct. Splatoon is big, it will get it's own Direct in August but I more in General Direct would be neat.

Splatoon 3 deserves a single player campaign with as much talent and care poured into it as Zelda and Mario. Really hoping it delivers on this.

The Return of the Mammalians trailer did make me hopeful, as there’s quite a few large land masses and dramatic shots - even some fixed camera side scrolling moments. But I want to see real gameplay - this is where treehouse would have been great :[

I've been moving further and further away from third party games on switch so a partner direct or any kind of direct focusing on third party games will probably end up being a bit crap for me. Though it they announce Persona and Nonary Games I'll at least be pretty happy with that.

I swear though, this direct sounds like it's getting worse and worse every time I browse this thread. By next time it'll turn out there's no direct and it's just a mario movie trailer or something haha.
"the hype is its own reward" we continue to insist as we slowly shrink and transform into corn cobs

I'd still put all my money on Black Ops 4.

Everything aligns:
  • In 2018 Nate said Call of Duty is coming to Switch. It never did.
  • BLOPS 4 is the last CoD game Treyarch did all by themselves before becoming a support studio. Treyarch is experienced in porting games to Nintendo platforms, including some very "miracle" port jobs.
  • It literally got leaked earlier this year.
There's one problem tho Jason Schreier said it aint true back in febuary 2019 at the old place. Most likely they dont have plans to bring COD at the moment tho could see them bringing COD Mobile to Switch.

As much as I want to play RDR2 on Switch, I’d rather the full experience on the revision or successor. The experience would be visually gutted on the current hardware - Switch just doesn’t do photo realism well, especially at that incredible scale.

The game is gorgeous, but it's a slog. Without its visuals, that's 4/10 game for me.

Honestly, I'd personally be fine if next week's direct has absolutely nothing for me. There were some great games this year already, with more still coming.

Three Hopes just released and it's very good. Xenoblade 3 is looking absolutely phenomenal. Mario & Rabbids 2 is probably going to be entertaining. Plus a whole bunch of 2022 undated Square-Enix games. Plus great games like Atelier Sophie 2 that I didn't have the time to play yet.

Don't get me wrong: I'd be absolutely thrilled if we get a new Fire Emblem announced next week as its my favorite franchise and it's been a while since the last "real" game. It's by far the possible game announcement I'd be most excited about. I just don't feel it's likely a few short days after Three Hopes release, and, well, I can't honestly say I'm starving either.

Even if I get nothing after Xenoblade this year, I'd still consider 2022 to have been a great year for videogames (for my taste obviously). Anyway, I don't feel like there's a lot of "space" for more in 2022, so I fully expect next week's direct (or direct-adjascent) to be extremely muted.

For me this year is half-dead already.
I don't like Strikers, I don't like Xenoblade (I like the story, but the gameplay, nope, I tried, but it's not really for me), and Splatoon is fun, but I really wish it could focus more on local gameplay, I'm the kind of guy that invite friends to play together!

If it's a partner direct I'll predict the following
  • Sega/Atlus (Sonic Frontiers, Persona)
  • SQEX (Game Remake, New 2D HD game)
  • Capcom (Ace Attorney)
  • Namco (Scarlet Nexus)
  • Microsoft w/Nintendo (Goldeneye remake + 64 expansion pack)
  • Tecmo Koei ( -----Warriors Game)

For me this year is half-dead already.
I don't like Strikers, I don't like Xenoblade (I like the story, but the gameplay, nope, I tried, but it's not really for me), and Splatoon is fun, but I really wish it could focus more on local gameplay, I'm the kind of guy that invite friends to play together!
I hope you like Pokémon, or at least open world games

I just realized, if they don’t announce anything on Monday.

This thread will be dropping into a emotional breakdown cause no one will be able to decide what kind of direct it’ll be. Tho General sometimes only get 1 day notices.

Monday I work 12 hours morning shift so I’ll probably miss all the fun.

They still need to show off wave 2 of the mario kart dlc which I think makes it being a partner a bit more unlikely. Unless they just drop that info on Twitter sometime before or after the direct.

I follow that guy, it's a journalist which directs a magazine releasing each 6 months (Manual, the magazine is amazing, not focused on reviews and such, but more on thoughts around the industry and video games as an art, including interviews with key people in the industry and such). He doesn't leak usually, but could comment on rumours and such, but he definitely has connections, and I don't think he would comment on any of that if his own source wasn't reliable.

After the focused on third parties comment, he also adds that Persona will be there (not sure how many, or if Persona 5 is included), and that a famous game from 4 years ago that came out in PS4, Xbox, PC, etc. will be announced for Switch in that Direct. He is excited about that game and will definitely play it on the Switch (not sure if he added more hints during the stream).
Sounds good to me!

I just realized, if they don’t announce anything on Monday.

This thread will be dropping into a emotional breakdown cause no one will be able to decide what kind of direct it’ll be. Tho General sometimes only get 1 day notices.

Monday I work 12 hours morning shift so I’ll probably miss all the fun.
Well, Nate said that it's June 28th, so if announcement isn't on Monday it's safe to say that it's not General.

Red Dead Redemption 2 would be an even bigger port than anything we've gotten so far, but I think it's the type of game that could benefit from a Switch Pro announcement beforehand.

Should be able to run on switch at 480p undocked and 720p docked as even a Athlon 200GE with Vegas 3 runs it

this murmuring about a big third party game has me suspecting that this is switch pro week
I’ve been thinking “pro announcement” since they missed their usual timing. The evidence is starting to pile up. I’m giving it like a 40-50% chance of happening

this murmuring about a big third party game has me suspecting that this is switch pro week
I could actually see them doing a Switch Pro/2/Whatever announcement in the style of

And showing a bunch of late 3rd party ports of games people already know and love, like Persona 5, RDR2 or some COD, to the same effect as Skyrim etc. were used in the Switch reveal. They could throw in some new 1st party games too, like Metroid Prime, the same way Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart were teased.

I don't really expect it for next week, but anyway. Edit: or maybe I do? Damn this thread 😂

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking “pro announcement” since they missed their usual timing. The evidence is starting to pile up. I’m giving it like a 40-50% chance of happening
A mini isn't livestreamed, so I bet they went with that format so they can drop the reveal, a press release, and Direct all at the same time.

A mini isn't livestreamed, so I bet they went with that format so they can drop the reveal, a press release, and Direct all at the same time.
Yep. This kinda thing is going to be the sort of “time zone coordinated” thing they need all dropped at the exact same second worldwide.

Also IIRC YouTube/twitch doesn’t allow for 4K streaming? Which… you want the video in 4K to show off the visuals.

Yep. This kinda thing is going to be the sort of “time zone coordinated” thing they need all dropped at the exact same second worldwide.
It's all coming together. Why announce the hardware without games, and why announced games without the hardware? The press release will list third party exclusives, assuming there are some.

They must have been reffering to activisions 2005 classic,

R9ewwmbRDRPHkrjEa_GfTDRUsPbjQArky_87ukkqdn8_5RjMap8gbNp0nH7kt4Fg_g=s1200

I still think Nintendo will have at least 2 more games released this fall that aren’t announced yet unless they’re going with a much sparser first party lineup than usual. Doing those in September makes no sense and I’d be surprised if they just do their stuff on Twitter again.

There's one problem tho Jason Schreier said it aint true back in febuary 2019 at the old place. Most likely they dont have plans to bring COD at the moment tho could see them bringing COD Mobile to Switch.
I trust Nate over Jason anytime. Jason's track record on Nintendo not as good as Nate's, Nate's third party leaks are always dead on... that is, if CoD Switch is real.

CoD Mobile on Switch is never happening, Switch players with buttons would be at clear advantage over mobile players.

I hope you like Pokémon, or at least open world games
YEEEEEEES! I'm really on a countdown for Scarlet/Violet! For now, I'm choosing Violet!
Also, I'm looking foward for more Mario Kart 8 content release, and the thing I want the most is Mario Party Superstars DLC sooooooo baaaaaadlyyyy

Last edited:
I don't see how suddenly Rockstar got around the reported problems of the GTAV port (cart size, CPU limitations) with RDR2.

They were both developed on the RAGE engine, and RDR2 was created for eight generation specs. RDR2 just seems like it would be even more of a headache, unless it's a Pro exclusive or something.

I still believe it's a normal direct. Partner Directs are dead, they only existed because Nintendo was obligated to release something
Mini directs iirc are usually just updates on previously announced games.
If Fire emblem, Metroid Prime HD, Bayonetta 3, M+R SoH and others are releasing this year, a normal direct is the best place to do it.
Or maybe it's a different type of presentation. Could be hardware since it's almost July and they announced the Lite and OLED that month, but probably not.

Wow, a lot of new pages on the thread. I would be fine with a third party focused direct. I trust Nintendo and I know they will be having a lot of great first party games for this and next year. But since switch launched, I'm always excited to see unexpected and miraculous third party ports, even with the graphical downgrade. So I would be fine with that. Just hoping that 2018 game wont be BO4, it wouldn't have any sense. To do that, better port the two modern warfare remasters.

My wishlist for this direct would be a new wave of N64 games including DK64 and Banjo-Tooie, the three persona games, the FF pixel remasters and Goldeneye. Not expecting a lot of first party announcements YET, maybe Bayonetta 3 date, but they can do it with a tweet.

But am I reading switch pro rumours again? What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom