• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Metroid and Fire Emblem would count as major surprises tho, no? I'm not expecting too much beyond that
technically, but we've never gone into an E3 with everything leaked or rumored

if we already know every first party game in the show I'd be pretty bummed lol

Warioware got leaked ahead of time. Advance Wars was a huge shock though.

Warioware was not leaked. Nintendo put out a survey asking people if they would pay $50 for a new warioware game. With hindsight that could be considered an obvious hint, but not really a leak in the sense that the game itself was accidently revealed prior to the E3 showing.

Do we think there will be a DIrect the same week as the Microsoft/Bethesda Showcase?

technically, but we've never gone into an E3 with everything leaked or rumored

if we already know every first party game in the show I'd be pretty bummed lol

Fair enough. I just don't want to set expectations too high. It's a 30-40 minute showcase to cover:
  • Xenoblade 3
  • Splatoon 3 (campaign probably)
  • Breath of the Wild 2
  • Mario & Rabbids 2 (unless it's in some other show)
  • Metroid Prime 1
  • Fire Emblem Mainline
  • NSO Updates
  • Other Third Party
Busy enough I think

I am not so sure of BotW 2 having any presence at the potential E3 replacement show - Them delaying it last month make me think they have no intention of showing it this summer. I dont think we'll see it until September-ish.

As already mentioned, Nintendo has a slew of software announced and unannounced that's going to release before BotW 2 - they really dont need to show it off just yet.

I am not so sure of BotW 2 having any presence at the potential E3 replacement show - Them delaying it last month make me think they have no intention of showing it this summer. I dont think we'll see it until September-ish.

As already mentioned, Nintendo has a slew of software announced and unannounced that's going to release before BotW 2 - they really dont need to show it off just yet.
My thinking too, but BOTW2 could be the wildcard.

if i was nintendo i wouldn't show botw 2 in the june direct if i'm being honest. i don't see any point in showing it when it's a year away. there's always the september direct when they can show it and give it a release date, with another trailer in the feb 2023 direct.

if i was nintendo i wouldn't show botw 2 in the june direct if i'm being honest. i don't see any point in showing it when it's a year away. there's always the september direct when they can show it and give it a release date, with another trailer in the feb 2023 direct.
Spring 2023 is a year away?

Last edited:
2 of last year's 3 Directs were reveal heavy - February and June - because each time the release calendar for that part of the year was empty. We then 'only' got Kirby and Bayonetta 3 gameplay as the Nintendo reveals in September, because by that point the schedule was full up to January.

This year I find it difficult to judge in terms of how many first-party reveals we should expect. I think last February and June had an unusually high number, like 5 Nintendo games each time. I'd guess at maybe 3 Nintendo titles we haven't seen before - Metroid Prime HD being one of them.

2 of last year's 3 Directs were reveal heavy - February and June - because each time the release calendar for that part of the year was empty. We then 'only' got Kirby and Bayonetta 3 gameplay as the Nintendo reveals in September, because by that point the schedule was full up to January.

This year I find it difficult to judge in terms of how many first-party reveals we should expect. I think last February and June had an unusually high number, like 5 Nintendo games each time. I'd guess at maybe 3 Nintendo titles we haven't seen before - Metroid Prime HD being one of them.
Tough to guess. I'd say June will be light on new announcements with so many titles already known. I'm guessing 2~3 at best. September will probably see more than June, albeit 2023 titles.

I could see a scenario where Nintendo goes into 2023 light on games already announced since they are focusing on Zelda, and then they blow the load in Feb 2023. At the same time, they will probably want to have a steady flow of Switch announcements if there is a Pro model coming sometime in the next 12 months.

Whether or not we see BoTW2 in June depends on how much Nintendo values the June Direct without E3. If E3 was still a thing, I'd say it would be practically guaranteed. As it stands, the potential June Direct isn't technically any "bigger" than the September or Spring Directs, so there isn't technically any reason not to wait until September to show BoTW2 again

That being said, I do still expect to see it

Tough to guess. I'd say June will be light on new announcements with so many titles already known. I'm guessing 2~3 at best. September will probably see more than June, albeit 2023 titles.

I could see a scenario where Nintendo goes into 2023 light on games already announced since they are focusing on Zelda, and then they blow the load in Feb 2023. At the same time, they will probably want to have a steady flow of Switch announcements if there is a Pro model coming sometime in the next 12 months.
I think a similar pattern to the last 12 months would make sense. We had a good number of announcements in February (Xenoblade 3, Switch Sports, FEW Three Hopes, Strikers, Kart DLC), which is actually pretty close to last February. This time last year, we had things dated up to mid-July, plus the Pokemon titles; this year we have Splatoon 3 sat in September and Pokemon and Zelda after that.

Honestly I think it could be anywhere from 2 to 5 games. It depends how packed the end of the year is, and whether there's anything longer term for 2023 they want to start talking about now. September I think would be the quieter Direct again (like last year), before a busier Direct in early 2023 to flesh the year out.

Nintendo has increased their brand new game announcements. You’d think we’d get at least 3 new game announcements from Nintendo including Metroid Prime Remaster

another thing is, can they show it yet another time without giving it a release date? i don't think so. and it's way too early to give the game a release date.

I was looking over the Capcom leak again and there was a title listed for this year with the codename "Indies 2", with a port of it also shown for the following fiscal quarter. Doesn't look like it's intended to be a big seller, with 416K (og release) and 362K (port) sales projected within the first FY.

We've seen Nintendo and Capcom doing these small timed exclusivity windows with Ghosts n Goblins and Capcom Arcade Stadium. Assuming this title hasn't been cancelled, I wonder if it's another timed exclusive for Switch.

I don’t think they can announce

1) Wind Waker + Twilight Princess ports without showing SOMETHING for BOTW2

2) a Metroid Prime 1 remake without showing SOMETHING for Metroid Prime 4

Last february direct was quite nuts, there was 7 new Nintendo Published games announced.

Looking through the years, Nintendo published reveals from Jan-June be it via Directs, twitter or Pokemon Presents

2017: 16 New Games
2018: 13 New Games
2019: 8 New Games
2020: 7 New Games
2021: 14 New Games
2022: 6 New games (so far)

Looking at this, I guess anything can happen - it's not going to hit those heights that some of the years have had, but I think it's gonna have more than both 19 and 20. I'm with you, it's hard this year.. I do think we're gonna see a few new ones though 3-4 perhaps.

another thing is, can they show it yet another time without giving it a release date? i don't think so. and it's way too early to give the game a release date.

Animal Crossing got its release date at E3 2019 so there is precedence for Nintendo to give a release date nine months out.

I think we get a quick tease for Prime 4 with a 2023 at the end like what Bayonetta 3 got.

That's literally what they would do lol (unless by something you mean "we are working on it")

Animal Crossing got its release date at E3 2019 so there is precedence for Nintendo to give a release date nine months out.
oh wow, I didn't consider the possibility that Zelda has a hard date ready. two points against it:
  • I'm not sure if they'd be brave enough to announce a hard date for such a massive game so far in advance with covid
  • spring could mean March, but it could also be as late as June (as was ARMS)

oh wow, I didn't consider the possibility that Zelda has a hard date ready. two points against it:
  • I'm not sure if they'd be brave enough to announce a hard date for such a massive game so far in advance with covid
  • spring could mean March, but it could also be as late as June (as was ARMS)
You are right on both points. I'm sure that Nintendo wants the date to stick so they might save the date announcement until the September direct as insurance. They will have a big game in March like they do every year. I'm guessing that they have something else ready just in case Zelda can't hit the March date and they will probably flip them between March and May/June as necessary.

don't make me tap the sign

6fxcy6.jpg

I bet that Nintendo wants Zelda to be release this FY (so by the end of March), but this is Zelda so we know.
Pokemon S/V allows Nintendo to not be forced to do so imo, of course if possible they will want to release it this FY but if it's not possible they will still have Pokemon S/V to carry software sales. Pokemon has been a life saver for Nintendo this generation and shows how important it was for Nintendo to focus on only one console

With how things are going I really dont think prime 4 will even get a vague ''2023'' (if it does getting a teaser,which most likely wont happen too).

Imagine having to delay it "again" (the reboot wasnt a delay but the internet sure views it like that lol)

don't get the "they have to show Prime 4 with Prime 1 remaster mentality," Nintendo can easily say Retro are still hard at work on Prime 4, progressing well etc etc etc
I imagine people say that because of the ''backslash'' nintendo will receive if they dont, but i agree, i really dont think nintendo is feeling pressured in doing a full trailer even 3,5 years after the reboot.

don't get the "they have to show Prime 4 with Prime 1 remaster mentality," Nintendo can easily say Retro are still hard at work on Prime 4, progressing well etc etc etc

and it'll be an especially easy pill to swallow if Prime 1 looks outstanding

Yeah. I don’t understand the connection honestly. and they have said done announcements where they mentioned a game being in dev but don’t show anything, then proceed to show same devs making this other game.

Don’t see why they need to reveal Prime 4 again if they got a prime game already. Save it for later when it’s closer to release

Am i wrong to say that a lot of people will consider this a remake if the visuals are substantially upgraded even if there arent many other changes?

I personally agree with you, but the 'remake vs remaster vs re-imagining vs ...' discussion will never have unanimous agreement.

Last edited:
Can not wait for them to reveal Prime 4. Not only because I desperately want to see what it looks like, but also because I am ever so curious whether they are going to drop the numbering in favour of a subtitle only treatment.

Since we are likely to only get a remaster of the first Prime for now, with the other games in the series being inaccessible to newcomers, getting rid of the numbering might make it less intimidating for newcomers to pick it up. Though I am not entirely sure how big of an effect that would have in practice.

Okay fami, big news: I just got jury duty set for Tuesday, June 7th. Which, by the Direct law and the power vested therein, means that the summer Direct will take place on June 7th (just ask @Skittzo )

I don't make the rules, that's just how it goes. Book it.
holy shit I cannot believe we’ve finally got direct timing confirmation

Can not wait for them to reveal Prime 4. Not only because I desperately want to see what it looks like, but also because I am ever so curious whether they are going to drop the numbering in favour of a subtitle only treatment.

Since we are likely to only get a remaster of the first Prime for now, with the other games in the series being inaccessible to newcomers, getting rid of the numbering might make it less intimidating for newcomers to pick it up. Though I am not entirely sure how big of an effect that would have in practice.
Im not a fan of the whole "number: subtitle" thing, it makes the title feel dated.

I would much prefer just the subtitle.

Because many years has past. You get to a point where you have to show it. They’ve already brought it up last year with Dread. It’s 3.5 years and they will reveal Prime Remaster which is related to Prime 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom