• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A remaster of Donkey Kong Country Returns with the additional 3DS world would have been a nice release in 2020. Of course, it should have been included with Tropical Freeze to begin with but alas…

I kept hoping that would be a secret add on leading up to launch, but alas that wasn't the case.

I'd imagine that a DKC: Returns HD port is in the cards at some point, but hopefully we get a new game first.

I’m a little nervous about EPD doing DK. I loved what Retro do and it’s like peak DK gameplay for me. I don’t want EPD to experiment. We have no 2D platformers from Nintendo like DK on switch. Yes, we have the port, but I mean a new experience. It’s nice to have a more difficult platformer compared to Yoshi, Kirby and Mario.

of these, Nintendo only does Mario
To clarify I meant Nintendo IP’s, not what’s being done by EPD. The general direction for Kirby, Yoshi and Mario is easier with some harder challenges if you want.

On the other hand the DK games by Retro were more difficult generally and had even harder challenged. I just worry with it not being in Retro’s hands EPD might try to experiment.

To clarify I meant Nintendo IP’s, not what’s being done by EPD. The general direction for Kirby, Yoshi and Mario is easier with some harder challenges if you want.

On the other hand the DK games by Retro were more difficult generally and had even harder challenged. I just worry with it not being in Retro’s hands EPD might try to experiment.
Ah yeah, I can definitely understand where you're coming from. Not a lot of people know that I love Tropical Freeze, and I'd be pretty disappointed if EPD's approach didn't live up.

That said, I do think that the designers at EPD are capable of creating a challenging platformer, and I too hope that's their approach

Ah yeah, I can definitely understand where you're coming from. Not a lot of people know that I love Tropical Freeze, and I'd be pretty disappointed if EPD's approach didn't live up.

That said, I do think that the designers at EPD are capable of creating a challenging platformer, and I too hope that's their approach
Oh yeah I’m definitely not doubting EPD’s designers. They’re amazing at what they do. I just hope their approach, their direction, is at least somewhat in line with DKC.

wind waker and twilight princess HD are coming in February 2023 but will not be the same as the Wii U versions. Those who purchase both games will get access to a demo of the BOTW sequel.
Yeah no. Nintendo never does that.

While I agree with you, is it bad that I wouldn't mind if they sacrifice difficulty just to have a new game out already? 😂

It's really difficult to know what EPD could do with DK. It's unlikely to be a straight repeat of the DKC formula, but I also think it's unlikely Nintendo would bring DK back to their limited internal pool and then go for something really wacky and potentially niche.

I wanted Retro to have a third crack at DK after Tropical Freeze; I'd really love to see them build on the suggestive 3D elements in that game. I guess EPD could pick up that mantle, but who knows.

Its the idea of doing that over a game you dont want being ridiculous, not if it would actually cause harm to retro lol
I'm joking about how Retro barely maintained their website until recently (as on last year or before that). if they're site went down, no one would even notice

Lol I havent been here for a while but when are we expecting the Direct announcement? 2 weeks before like last year?
the problem is that our only precedent for what they'll do is 2020, but things are obviously pretty different now

we're in uncharted waters

I ought to be hoping that Tokyo is making 2D Mario, leaving group 10 to make Pikmin 4

but at this point I don't really care what's happening
I just want Pikmin 4. I’d like to believe its been in development for so long and it will come, but we also haven’t had a brand new 2D mainline Mario in so long. So idk which is coming first.

Lol I havent been here for a while but when are we expecting the Direct announcement? 2 weeks before like last year?
The general current consensus is "it's probably still happening in June" but really we know nothing. Could be announced a few weeks in advance, could be just a day before, who knows.

It's really difficult to know what EPD could do with DK. It's unlikely to be a straight repeat of the DKC formula, but I also think it's unlikely Nintendo would bring DK back to their limited internal pool and then go for something really wacky and potentially niche.
The main reason I liked the whole idea of a "younger crew that grew up with the DKC trilogy taking charge of this EPD DK" was because I hoped that meant they'd honor the SNES trio, but then find ways of making it their own.

I also personally hope it means they won't be afraid of utilizing the old "Kongverse" and its characters, and maybe even add their own. Like, I wouldn't mind them adding a new villainous group trying to take over the island, if it means K. Rool has officially "joined" the good guys (ideally, as playable).

I just want Pikmin 4. I’d like to believe its been in development for so long and it will come, but we also haven’t had a brand new 2D mainline Mario in so long. So idk which is coming first.
One of the directors of Pikmin 3 is still at the company (ostensibly) but hasn't been credited on anything but Pikmin 3 Deluxe and (iirc) Pikmin Bloom

so, he's probably doing something, even if the resources for full production just aren't there

Unlike 2021, I think the June (?) Direct is fairly easy to predict this year.

We’ll likely get (in no particular order):
-Xenoblade 3 trailer
-BOTW2 trailer (with name reveal)
-Metroid Prime 1 trailer and release date
-Zelda port release date
-something Fire Emblem-y
-something Mario-y that’s not Rabbids (that will be in Ubisoft presentation though)

And then a smattering of third party stuff I suppose.

I dunno - I’m not expecting any major surprises this year and I think that’s fine! We have a lot of known content coming our way in 2022.

-Xenoblade 3 trailer
-Zelda port release date
-something Fire Emblem-y
-something Mario-y that’s not Rabbids (that will be in Ubisoft presentation though)

I dunno - I’m not expecting any major surprises this year and I think that’s fine! We have a lot of known content coming our way in 2022.
I thoroughly agree with this sentiment, but there's almost always something. This year I'm expecting the big surprise to be an early look at a 2023 game (beside Zelda)

-Xenoblade 3 trailer
-Zelda port release date
-something Fire Emblem-y

people always say this but every year there are like 3-4 announcements that no one knows anything about

WarioWare was an easy guess for E3 last year, same with Mario Party. At this point I think it does become a little more difficult to guess primarily because between ports, remasters, and new games, a lot of Nintendo series are represented on Switch. And we're seeing some really deep cuts for some Switch games, like Detective Club and Advance Wars.

The question at this point is just how busy is Nintendo's release calendar for September through March, because a good chunk of that stuff will get featured and announced.

y'know, there's some nominal chance we see a new Splatoon mode at "E3"

that'd be pretty darn cool
I’m not a huge fan of the battle Royale style, but “Splattle Royale” is right there and they can do some cool things with the launching mechanic and the verticality of the level design.

Would Nintendogs even work on Switch? There's no touchscreen in docked and no microphone period. That's two major features down.
They can bundle it with a new peripheral called “Switch Speak” or use the phone app somehow (these all sound terrible but honestly not unrealistic).

Exactly. At that point it's barely Nintendogs anymore.
Guess Nintendo will just have to release a fifth Xenoblade game on the Switch. I see no other options.

This joke was made by a Xenoblade fan. Please don't bully me. #TeamJanuary

I wanted Retro to have a third crack at DK after Tropical Freeze; I'd really love to see them build on the suggestive 3D elements in that game. I guess EPD could pick up that mantle, but who knows.

I have a feeling the next Donkey Kong will be a 3D update to the original Donkey Kong albeit more akin to DK’94.

I’m still predicting a Switch Pro teaser later this month with “see this power in action during our Direct on June 14th”

I thoroughly agree with this sentiment, but there's almost always something. This year I'm expecting the big surprise to be an early look at a 2023 game (beside Zelda)

Metroid and Fire Emblem would count as major surprises tho, no? I'm not expecting too much beyond that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom