• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Prime Remastered |ST| Prime Prophecy Fulfilled

I'll say it's certainly possible they could get another remaster out the door before Prime 4, Prime's been supposedly done since mid-2021. If someone like Iron Galaxy started on Prime 2 afterward two years I think is plenty of time to get Prime 2 out the door in some form, either as a full remaster, or part of a simpler remaster with 3.

That said, it think both 2 & 3 will come, but after launch of Prime 4, to me it makes more sense to save them as filler titles for the Switch line up between 2024 & 26. Both to cover the time between the next 2D Metroid game & possibly Prime 5, and to give the Switch some games at a time when development of new titles likely move over to the next system.

Last edited:
Folks, I heard (unlockable content spoiler) the Fusion Suit isn't in this. Real bummer! I really hope they patch it in, along with Dread's suits. Just imagine the Metroid Suit in place of the Phazon Suit!

Folks, I heard (unlockable content spoiler) the Fusion Suit isn't in this. Real bummer! I really hope they patch it in, along with Dread's suits. Just imagine the Metroid Suit in place of the Phazon Suit!
I wonder if they could tie the fusion suit to playing Metroid fusion on the gba emulator. Would be a nice way to give that content (I personally loved using it in the original).

Wonderful OT.

By the way, how likely is it that Prime 2 & 3 eventually get the same treatment? Whether is before or after Prime 4.
I'm already praying everyday for this now.

Wonderful OT.

By the way, how likely is it that Prime 2 & 3 eventually get the same treatment? Whether is before or after Prime 4.
I'm already praying everyday for this now.

Iirc, the rumor as of now is that only Prime 1 got this extended remaster/remake treatment and Echoes and Corruption would be more "upres" remasters.

Though now that we know Iron Galaxy (among others) worked on Prime 1 Remaster, and it's (imo) smashing success, maybe Nintendo has a change of mind and greenlights similar treatments for them.

But before Prime 4 might be difficult, maybe they're able to push out a similar made Echoes remaster, but not Corrpution.

Well, as a self-proclaimed veteran, I can say I feel the same way.
It just feels so good to see Metroid being treated so well.

Sometimes I think I’m not a veteran Metroid fan because Prime / Fusion were my first Metroid games, than I remember those were over 20 years ago… time flies

FRFR i love how Retro did the lighting of this game, its all so present and saturated.

I think the first corridor of the Derelict Ship really tells you everything you will need to know about the game's lighting system.

MP4's art director comes from DICE, where he directed Battlefield 1 and 5. While i never played these games i did see some gameplay and i noticed that there are some strong natural lighting choices and nothing looks lacking, its a very charming cinematic realism that he did in there. If i had to make a comparison id say it looks similar to the lighting choices used in certain scenes of blade runner 2049. I dont know if he was behind the art direction of Prime Remastered too but i wouldn't be surprised.

Guys Nintendo is not going to give 4 Metroid games in a 12 months span

It's impossibile, not even Mario does that

If Nintendo treat MP2 and 3 like small eshop titles which I think they will, it's completely in the realm of possibility imo.

Kirby got 3 full games in the span of little over a year because one is an eshop game and another is a remake. Similar situation as Metroid.

If they do remaster Prime 2, I wonder if they would keep the multiplayer. I just want to see Sanctuary Fortress in all it's glory. Bummer that rumors suggest it would likely just be an uprez though.
What rumors suggest this and why is it a bummer because rumors are rumors and not "information".
There's also no precedent for Nintendo dropping a HD remaster the day they announce it and launching it at a lower price point. There could be any number of explanations for that so I'm not ruling things out at this point.
not an insta-drop but they did the same for Wind Waker HD otherwise. I know video game discourse is US-centric but NOE did A LOT of variable pricing of games in the Wii U era already. A lot of these things everyone is making a big face about this past week just isn't new ...it's just new to North America :D
I would love for Prime 2 to be remastered like they did here because it's my favorite Prime game but I think Nate predicting Prime 4 will be released before March 2024 is an educated guess and development could be almost finished. If so, then I could see Prime 4 being re-revealed in June and leaving little room for the other remasters.
I don't think that's an educated guess. Just a normal guess. We really need to stop putting any stock into insider guesses.
Pre-orders still not up in Germany. Danke, Merkel.

It's actually available at the german My Nintendo Store.
been up on netgamtes.de, coolshop.de and mynintendo store (EU-wide) for a bit now

not an insta-drop but they did the same for Wind Waker HD otherwise. I know video game discourse is US-centric but NOE did A LOT of variable pricing of games in the Wii U era already. A lot of these things everyone is making a big face about this past week just isn't new ...it's just new to North America :D
Oh sure, I'm in the UK - I remember getting stuff like Captain Toad and Splatoon for £25 at launch. But I think there's a huge difference between pricing on Wii U - a commercial disaster of a system - and going lower priced on Switch, the strongest software market Nintendo have ever had, were Nintendo know they can and have sold millions of copies of other re-releases at the regular price point.

The surprise drop and the price point together have me suspicious, for sure!

Wow, we have reviews? I wish we had a review thread (but I can't do it lol)
I cheated a little. There are only 2 rated reviews, and polygon's endorsement.

Just two reviews. Doesn't mean anything yet. But anything below 95 is too low for this really. As a game and as a remaster. And it's not getting over that sadly. Hope I'm wrong.
I love this game too, but I wouldn't worry too much about critic reception. It's still going to be the switch's best game this year (there I said it).

Y'all the game is at 9.6 users core on Metacritic!! It's gotta be one of the highest of all tome right?

If Nintendo treat MP2 and 3 like small eshop titles which I think they will, it's completely in the realm of possibility imo.

Kirby got 3 full games in the span of little over a year because one is an eshop game and another is a remake. Similar situation as Metroid.
Would not be to much to ask a little fanbase to spent 120 + 70 in a short time?

And of course if Nintendo and Retro decide to do a Prime 5 would not be better to keep the years of Switch 2 without a Metroid Title?

Just got it.

Hooooooooly hell. On the OLED, this game pops harder than Girl’s Generation and Blackpink combined.

The ST looks so slick! Got right up to the first trip through Magmoor Caverns this morning. Getting a weird and wonderful sort of feeling from it, a hard mix of stuff that’s been scorched into my mind and stuff I had completely forgotten about in the like 15 years since I played it last! 50% feels brand new, 50% is nostalgia overdrive. Fun!

I should say that I’m not really a nostalgic person, typically! But Prime and the GBA stuff have really got me this week

I also have FOMO purchased this, and hot damn it is GORGEOUS and so incredibly atmospheric.

The over two billion different dev studios who worked on this did an amazing job!

I am now dreaming of Prime 2 Remastered getting tons of attention as a switch 2 launch title

Or at least launch year

This is indeed straight up almost The Last of Us Part 1 levels of improvement and refinement.

They redid the audio as well? Some of the sound effects are beefier, and in the frigate, there's this tunnel echo that hears when you shoot the beam in corridors. Incredibly effective.

Finally bought it, it's just freakin' amazing.
FooB3m4X0AEtHhO

Aaand I'm stuck... and still loving it. It starts requiring of the player to piece the different levels together. Just got the varia suit, and already passed through the lava section without avail. Time for more scrounging! EDIT: found it! Unrelated: I love how more open Phendrana Drifts looks :O .

There's a host of tiny little changes that would've been nice (gamma and FOV sliders, a confirmation dialogue when entering an elevator to prevent accidental load screens =P etc. ), but otherwise this game feels completely effortless - which is a sign of excellence.

In a weird way I'm reminded of Skyward Sword playing this. Maybe that game, with it's Metroidvania-light elements, prepared my mind for Dread which in turn prepared me for this. Curious what @brainchild , as a fellow Skyward Sword apologist, thinks of that!

Aesthetically this reminds me of both Metroid Dread (unsurprisingly), but more interestingly it feels like Morrowind in a way. More specifically, what a proper Morrowind remake would look like. Perhaps that's due to how the remade assets respect the angularity of the original art, something that was a technical necessity at the time.

Also, for anyone hoping Prime 4 will look even better: personally I don't count on it. Switch has been described as having a nice GPU, but challenging memory bandwidth and CPU constraints. A remake like this plays to the Switch's strengths perfectly, because the underlying game is relatively untaxing with it's Gamecube origins. Lots of confined spaces in this particular case. I am looking forward to what Retro will be able to do with the scale of the gameworld though! I like how compact this feels, but a more open environment could be awesome as well.

Finally, Doom 2016 cribbed quite a few things from Prime, didn't it? :p

Last edited:
I just beat the game.

EnxRl2bWEAAzYJU

Legitimately so excited for people to experience this game for the first time.

Sometimes I think I’m not a veteran Metroid fan because Prime / Fusion were my first Metroid games, than I remember those were over 20 years ago… time flies
I'd consider myself one of the biggest Metroid fans on Fami, and Fusion was my first. I played it in elementary school!

The minute I saw they had brought back the main menu theme, I knew this was going to be the best possible version of one of the best possible games ever.

Maybe it's stupid, but to me, that indicated that they were going to not leave anything out

In a weird way I'm reminded of Skyward Sword playing this. Maybe that game, with it's Metroidvania-light elements, prepared my mind for Dread which in turn prepared me for this. Curious what @brainchild , as a fellow Skyward Sword apologist, thinks of that!

Not sure how I feel about being referred to as a Skyward Sword apologist 😂

It's actually a fairly common sentiment among fans of both franchises (that Skyward Sword is like a 3rd person Metroidvania) and I tend to agree with it, and yet each franchise is distinct in key areas.

Metroid Prime is definitely one of my favorite games and this version is just spectacular!

It's actually a fairly common sentiment among fans of both franchises (that Skyward Sword is like a 3rd person Metroidvania) and I tend to agree with it, and yet each franchise is distinct in key areas.

Metroid Prime is definitely one of my favorite games and this version is just spectacular!

For me anyone endorsing Skyward Sword gets thumps up. I hate how misunderstood the game is. There are definitely similarities between the games although at the same time they are very different.

The hint system in this game works quite well, sometimes it's a little too early with hinting but I'm glad it's there nonetheless.

You know what would've been nice? More save points. I just died after climbing back up after getting the Infrared Visor, and now I have to do that entire section again. Sigh. Glad we've usually left that kind of stuff in ye olde times.

On a positive note, the way that area evolves into something different is super cool!

It's a nod to how the discourse around the game hasn't been too positive in the past, and means you're a person with excellent taste ;) .

The minute I saw they had brought back the main menu theme, I knew this was going to be the best possible version of one of the best possible games ever.

Maybe it's stupid, but to me, that indicated that they were going to not leave anything out

Narrator: They left things out.

(Unless the comments I read about there being no fusion suit in the game were incorrect?)

I know i already talked about this but adding an extra

You know those light bomb things that are in a corridor that leads to the game's first boss fight, Hive Mecha. Where you get the Morph Ball.

The lighting in the game, especially in the corridor that leads to the boss fight due to those bugs who emit light... it feels like im navegating through a playable cgi cutscene from the early 2000s. And its great.

Last edited:
everyone is talking about metroid prime again
feels so good to just cruise around the internet and soak it up

normally feels like it's just me and a few other folks babbling in a corner
but now the whole internet is talking about my favorite game, it's exciting

I caved and got it digitally. I’ll probably pick up the physical still if I come across it in the Wild.

This was the info from that Belmont post that seemed pretty accurate about the nature of Prime Remastered:

Before Retro got Prime 4 back they'd been planning for them to redo the whole trilogy. Obviously that was not going to be possible with them now doing Prime 4. So the new plan became for them to just finish up the first game, then Nintendo would contract out the work for the subsequent games to be redone by other studios with the Prime 1 remake serving to establish the visual bar and style for other studios to emulate.

If this is true and if this is still the plan, then I anticipate visual remakes for 2 and 3.

This is indeed straight up almost The Last of Us Part 1 levels of improvement and refinement.

To elaborate on this, not only because of the fidelity at display, they've also added accessibility features. Not at all to match TLoU Pt 1, but things like control scheme, colour grading and turning off hint system are very, very welcome.

Back
Top Bottom