• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Prime Remastered |ST| Prime Prophecy Fulfilled

I'm at the end, collecting the last items before heading off to the final bosses. What a game, after all these years. What a game.

Some thoughts:
  • I thought I remembered the game back to front, but was happy to realize that I had totally forgotten where the grapple beam and plasma beam were found. Was nice to get at least a bit of that authentically lost Metroid feeling. Otherwise, I remembered basically every room like it was yesterday. Whereas there's games I played last year that I can't even remember playing. Speaks volumes about the level design here.
  • I make the same mistake EVERY time I play this game, and go to the sunken frigate after getting the ice beam. I even did it this time KNOWING the gravity suit is in Phendrana!
  • Absolutely memory-hole moment for me - I've been saying Phedandra for 20 years. Was it really always Phendrana?
  • Remaster work was astonishing, perfect expample of "how I remember it being in my mind". Then you go back and look at the original and realize how much work really went into it. The big disappointment is the beams not lighting environments, but everything else is perfectly judged.
  • However, it's clearly running sub-1080p and the muddy texture filtering was a disappointment. This game deserved better hardware than the Switch.
  • Normal mode is nowhere near hard enough, and that significantly affected my enjoyment. Re-releases should always have hard mode unlocked from the start, for returning players.
  • Combat is just about passable but definitely the weak part of the game design and Metroid Prime 4 will have to come up with something far, far better. MP3 was already making steps forward in this regard.
  • Dual stick aiming was nice, but made the game even easier, and I never felt like beam switching felt natural. Never fully got used to the controls, which was strange.
  • If you didn't turn on the "look down when jumping" option did you really even play the real Metroid Prime?
  • My biggest problem with the game is the same as ever - the bosses are pretty terrible, start to finish. They suffer from all my biggest pet peeves in boss design, the biggest one being forced to wait for an invulnerability period to end. Another being bosses who take too little and deal too little damage, leading to excitement petering out halfway through a battle as it becomes a slow war of attrition. Again, both MP2 and MP3 started to improve hugely here but there's a long way to go.
This is where, with MP Trilogy, I'd immediately start MP2, get about 3 hours into it and drop it. It's like tradition. But I think with a remastered version I'd actually make it through the whole way this time. So not having MP2 available really, really hurts. I was ambivalent about getting those remasters before, now I really, really hope they're coming.

What a wonderful shadow drop surprise this was.

I have fallen for this several times. You'd think I'd learn. I don't. It always feels right to head to the frigate at that point.
Funny thing it's the only time it has happened to me. I really don't remember the path since it's been a long time since I played it but for the other parts it made sense. For example after getting the spider ball I remember there were a lot of areas with tracks in the chozo ruins, so I'm moving towards there and got the hint and I'm "yeah on may way, don't have to tell me". Same with the space jump, was just entering Phendrana and the games goes "go to phendrana" and I'm llike "a little late for the hint don't you think so?"

BTW are the hints timed when the game sees you haven't made any progress or are activated with some flags?

It’s funny to me that there’s ways Metroid has been treated better than Mario and Zelda in the Switch era

Prime Remaster is by far a better effort than 3D All Stars or SSHD, and neither Mario or Zelda can boast a brand new critically acclaimed 2D entry this gen.

Also the last “mainline” Mario and Zelda games released were 3DW+Bowser’s Fury and SSHD. Both Dread and MPR have come out since then. Metroid picking up the slack!

I'm at the end, collecting the last items before heading off to the final bosses. What a game, after all these years. What a game.

Some thoughts:
  • I thought I remembered the game back to front, but was happy to realize that I had totally forgotten where the grapple beam and plasma beam were found. Was nice to get at least a bit of that authentically lost Metroid feeling. Otherwise, I remembered basically every room like it was yesterday. Whereas there's games I played last year that I can't even remember playing. Speaks volumes about the level design here.
  • I make the same mistake EVERY time I play this game, and go to the sunken frigate after getting the ice beam. I even did it this time KNOWING the gravity suit is in Phendrana!
  • Absolutely memory-hole moment for me - I've been saying Phedandra for 20 years. Was it really always Phendrana?
  • Remaster work was astonishing, perfect expample of "how I remember it being in my mind". Then you go back and look at the original and realize how much work really went into it. The big disappointment is the beams not lighting environments, but everything else is perfectly judged.
  • However, it's clearly running sub-1080p and the muddy texture filtering was a disappointment. This game deserved better hardware than the Switch.
  • Normal mode is nowhere near hard enough, and that significantly affected my enjoyment. Re-releases should always have hard mode unlocked from the start, for returning players.
  • Combat is just about passable but definitely the weak part of the game design and Metroid Prime 4 will have to come up with something far, far better. MP3 was already making steps forward in this regard.
  • Dual stick aiming was nice, but made the game even easier, and I never felt like beam switching felt natural. Never fully got used to the controls, which was strange.
  • If you didn't turn on the "look down when jumping" option did you really even play the real Metroid Prime?
  • My biggest problem with the game is the same as ever - the bosses are pretty terrible, start to finish. They suffer from all my biggest pet peeves in boss design, the biggest one being forced to wait for an invulnerability period to end. Another being bosses who take too little and deal too little damage, leading to excitement petering out halfway through a battle as it becomes a slow war of attrition. Again, both MP2 and MP3 started to improve hugely here but there's a long way to go.
This is where, with MP Trilogy, I'd immediately start MP2, get about 3 hours into it and drop it. It's like tradition. But I think with a remastered version I'd actually make it through the whole way this time. So not having MP2 available really, really hurts. I was ambivalent about getting those remasters before, now I really, really hope they're coming.

What a wonderful shadow drop surprise this was.
Higher difficulty helps make the bosses a bit more exciting, but yeah the bosses in Prime 1 aren’t great. A bit too simple and with the problems you mentioned. Prime 2 definitely has the best bosses all around, much more creative and fun to fight even if they’re a lot harder. Prime 3 had the problem with invulnerability periods like you mentioned but X100, since they had to balance bosses around Hyper Mode being a thing and they didn’t want you to just nuke every boss too quickly.

One thing I found myself really missing on this playthrough is a better dodge move. Aiming with the dual sticks is a great improvement for that side of things, but I found that especially against large bosses just getting out of their way is a chore and feels clunky (the scan dash isn’t good enough). I’d love for them to implement a speedy dash of some sort in Prime 4, like the air dash in Dread for example. Just something to speed up movement in boss battles.

I looooove Samus' new design. She looks like a mix of Kate Winslet, Signorney Weaver, and Paget Brewster. Much much better design than anything she's had.

Much to my great shame, I only found 49/50 missile expansions from memory/searching, I’m going to have to look up which one I missed.

I also missed one creature (why the hell is the plated puffer a unique enemy that’s only found in one dead end room in the entire game?)

Do item scans count towards 100% completion in terms of the ending?

I've never seen the Dark Samus tease in person, would like to do so this time. Won't replay the game again to do so though.

I've never seen the Dark Samus tease in person, would like to do so this time. Won't replay the game again to do so though.
I think the scans are the main thing the Prime games count.
Keep in mind there's missables, some enemies don't spawn anymore after certain points in the game and you can obviously only scan the big bosses once.
And then there's bosses like Flaagrah and Metroid Prime where there's multiple phases or parts of the boss to scan.

Finished the game yesterday and noticed I missed some stuff (like Flaagrahs fucking tentacle) and said fuck it and just went on to do the last bosses.
Maybe I'll try another playthrough on hard some time down the line.
Maybe not though, as I never got a 100% on my Wii version either.

Only item collection counts toward the Dark Samus ending, you don't need 100% scans.

It’s funny to me that there’s ways Metroid has been treated better than Mario and Zelda in the Switch era

Prime Remaster is by far a better effort than 3D All Stars or SSHD, and neither Mario or Zelda can boast a brand new critically acclaimed 2D entry this gen.

Also the last “mainline” Mario and Zelda games released were 3DW+Bowser’s Fury and SSHD. Both Dread and MPR have come out since then. Metroid picking up the slack!
I don't know if I'd go that far, but yeah, it is funny.

I've been thinking about that recently. How there's been more mainline Metroid content in the last few years than there has been Mario and Zelda. Both those franchises are long overdue for something!

I will say, though, a general trend I've noticed is that Nintendo's remasters have been getting ... a lot better? Like. The remasters early on in the Switch felt like upscaled ports, they were kind of ripoffs. But I dunno, 3D World, Skyward Sword, and especially Prime feel like they put a lot of care into them.

Skyward Sword HD is also a really good remaster, honestly. The biggest problem is that while Nintendo included a lot of options (great!) it feels like they didn't play test those options enough (not so great!) because for comfortability it was often better to switch (heh) between motion controls and buttons. And stuff like not being able to use a second camera with buttons was silly.

That's what I like about the Prime remaster: the amount of control options is so insane it feels like Retro specifically playtested and accounted for almost every option. It's the kind of anal shit that I've always thought I'd put in a video game but wouldn't be practical.

Continue after getting the gravity suit and finally clearing the sunken frigate in to the phazon mine and that was a trip to the second level. Lost about 3 tanks unti the save point, but I def. did better than when I played the original. Also did they change that the Ice beam pirates could be destroyed with missiles? Those were usually the easier ones, now have to wait for them to unfroze and kill them.

Does the scan logs stay in the new game? I want to start a new playthrough on hard and I don't really want to scan everything all over again, just the logs that I missed on normal mode.
Started a new game on Hard and yeah, scan logs, that are obtained in previous playthrough, are carried to the next one, thank freakin' god.

I gave up on waiting for a physical copy as it's sold out everywhere and importing one to Brazil would be a nightmare not to mention really expensive. I might get one later if I can find it cheap.

For now, game is downloading as I type this. So excited.

Are there any QoL changes or updates? Is there a list or video about the differences (besides graphics) between the original release and the Switch version?

Higher difficulty helps make the bosses a bit more exciting, but yeah the bosses in Prime 1 aren’t great. A bit too simple and with the problems you mentioned. Prime 2 definitely has the best bosses all around, much more creative and fun to fight even if they’re a lot harder. Prime 3 had the problem with invulnerability periods like you mentioned but X100, since they had to balance bosses around Hyper Mode being a thing and they didn’t want you to just nuke every boss too quickly.

One thing I found myself really missing on this playthrough is a better dodge move. Aiming with the dual sticks is a great improvement for that side of things, but I found that especially against large bosses just getting out of their way is a chore and feels clunky (the scan dash isn’t good enough). I’d love for them to implement a speedy dash of some sort in Prime 4, like the air dash in Dread for example. Just something to speed up movement in boss battles.
Agreed. Prime 2 realized that straight up shooting and dodging combat wasn't the strength of the games so added different types of bosses to huge success. Boost Guardian, Quadraxis, that strange morph ball tunnel boss etc. And it's why Flaaghra is probably the best boss in Prime, it has that puzzle element to it. I think it was because Prime 3 realized that wars of attrition are no fun that it added hypermode, which helped a ton, but did lead to those invulnerability periods again. Dark Samus was the worst with those.

But the one thing almost all Metroid Prime and Prime 3 bosses need is a high skill ceiling way to interrupt invulnerability periods.

Now, because most of the original games were played using lock-on controls with no free aim (MP3 aside) this wasn't really possible. But for future games, there should be multiple options to knock a boss out of it's attack rotations if you know what you're doing and have high skill. Think "punching at the right moment in Punch-Out". Maybe you hit a cannon with a missile exactly as it's launching, or lay a bomb at the foot of a boss about to lunge. Maybe you lure a boss under a stalactite and shoot it while it's charging up. Maybe you last-second deflect an incoming projectile with a parry etc etc. And ideally, you'd also have ways of punishing the player for going for these options and failing. High risk, high reward, high speed.

Definitely one of the things I'll be looking at in Metroid Prime 4 is if find myself standing around in a boss battle, aimlessly strafing, generally being bored.

Oliver McKenzie has submitted his Metroid Prime Remastered technical review. DF will upload it this week. Hold on to your butts.

Last edited:
I'm guessing physical copies didn't really come out today? I can't even get Gamestop to answer the phone about my pre-order. Lol.

Finally got 100% items for first time, despite play in GC/Wii, and without a guide. The sfx sound of items helped here, I don't remember if is like that in Gc/Wii versions.

I gave up on waiting for a physical copy as it's sold out everywhere and importing one to Brazil would be a nightmare not to mention really expensive. I might get one later if I can find it cheap.

For now, game is downloading as I type this. So excited.
I’m from Brazil and it happened that I’m on Arizona right now. There’s not a single copy out there on Target, Wallmart or GameStop. I’ll try my luck on 23/02 again, but I don’t have high hopes.
Anyway, it’s cheaper to buy online in Brazil, mainly if you use nuuvem website.

About to hit the final sequence and how am I missing 24 missile upgrades lol, this game has so many things squirreled away.

Are there any QoL changes or updates? Is there a list or video about the differences (besides graphics) between the original release and the Switch version?
I think the only differences other than graphics are the control options and some concept art gallery additions.

Dual analog is an enormous upgrade on its own.

EDIT: Oh and they added some colorblind options.

I swear those goddamn turrets do more damage than the pirates
i just died to some turrets in magmoore caverns. not sure how to defeat those things, i couldn’t scan them cause they were too far away. i’m sure i’ll figure it out.

it sucks respawning so far back and losing out on like fifteen minutes of progress.

First time player here. I’ve beaten a good chunk of the 2D games (Fusion, Super, Samus Returns, and Dread) and really wanted to check this game out to see what I was missing by not playing 3D entries.

I gotta say, the more I play this game the less I like it. I’m really not having any fun here.

Platforming in this game is bad. Samus’ jumps are so inconsistent. I’ve been in this stupid Geothermal Corte room for like an hour because Samus will either randomly decide that the exact same jump I made a few minutes ago isn’t good enough and fall into the lava and I’ll have to start all over again, or the morph ball part at the top of the stage will randomly make me slide off.

Combat is not very fun. Every enemy is either a damage sponge that requires you to have the correct beam or they’re the flying pirates which are impossible to hit with the slow ass ice beam, which is the fastest way to kill them if you finish them off with a missile. And every battle encounter I end up taking a boatload of damage because there’s no real way to defend yourself outside of a pitiful side strafe.

The phazon mines suck ass. They starve you for a save room so much here while piling in so many damn enemies. I died here the first trip right before the room with the power bomb and basically had to do the entire trip again. Yay fun. Then after finally getting the plasma beam I went into an area I hadn’t explored and it took me back to the fucking mines again. Except that time I’m in another vertical shaft full of damage sponge color coded enemies that any time I get shot or miss a jump due to the bad platforming mechanics I’m sent straight to the bottom into a pool of phazon. I died here too, and since I didn’t save before coming here I have to do the stupid Geothermal Core room again for the plasma beam. Fun game.

IDK man but since this is always lauded as the best prime game this made me less excited to play prime 2, 3 and 4. Are 2 and 3 less stingy with save rooms or have better platforming mechanics and combat? Also I guess I have to hope that 4 gets an auto save because this game desperately needs it at times, especially after getting key upgrades.

I feel like I made some ok progress tonight, even if I had to make a full loop of Magmoor and the overworld before the hint system kicked in and showed me where Phendrana was. I’ve now got the boost ball, with four energy tanks and thirty missiles. I think I’m doing ok so far.

I do wish the game weren’t so freaking dark. You would think that Samus would have a flashlight on her helmet or something. It’s so dark that I actually can’t see a single thing in some rooms and need to just guess where to go.

I feel like I made some ok progress tonight, even if I had to make a full loop of Magmoor and the overworld before the hint system kicked in and showed me where Phendrana was. I’ve now got the boost ball, with four energy tanks and thirty missiles. I think I’m doing ok so far.

I do wish the game weren’t so freaking dark. You would think that Samus would have a flashlight on her helmet or something. It’s so dark that I actually can’t see a single thing in some rooms and need to just guess where to go.
Have you checked out this post/summary? It seems to be something a lot of people have run into, I would guess based on TV type/etc.? I didn't have any issues on my TV and it didn't seem very dark, but I generally keep my TV brightness pretty high and I don't have an OLED.
@Yazmat @Dragoncaine I've noticed a lot of people online having brightness problems with this game (including myself!) and what many of us discovered was that the cause was our Switch color output setting (typically set to auto) was not cooperating with the TV, causing a range mismatch and blown out contrast.

Fixing those settings instantly solved the darkness issue for myself and several others elsewhere on the net. Make sure your settings are properly configured between the Switch and your TV, see below post:

Reading stuff like this is so strange to me because on a 2013 LED display it's a pretty bright (not excessively so) game

Maybe the issue is as mentioned previously in this thread and the TV needs to match up.

Combat is not very fun. Every enemy is either a damage sponge that requires you to have the correct beam or they’re the flying pirates which are impossible to hit with the slow ass ice beam, which is the fastest way to kill them if you finish them off with a missile.
I typically just lock on, and fire three quick missiles. Doesn't leave them much room to deal damage to you.

I typically just lock on, and fire three quick missiles. Doesn't leave them much room to deal damage to you.

Yeah this is the way to go pre-plasma beam rather than trying to nail an annoying ice shot. In general, Prime gives out enough missiles that you can use them pretty liberally and not worry about running out, and they're quite strong. Don't be afraid of using them!

First time player here. I’ve beaten a good chunk of the 2D games (Fusion, Super, Samus Returns, and Dread) and really wanted to check this game out to see what I was missing by not playing 3D entries.

I gotta say, the more I play this game the less I like it. I’m really not having any fun here.

Platforming in this game is bad. Samus’ jumps are so inconsistent. I’ve been in this stupid Geothermal Corte room for like an hour because Samus will either randomly decide that the exact same jump I made a few minutes ago isn’t good enough and fall into the lava and I’ll have to start all over again, or the morph ball part at the top of the stage will randomly make me slide off.

Combat is not very fun. Every enemy is either a damage sponge that requires you to have the correct beam or they’re the flying pirates which are impossible to hit with the slow ass ice beam, which is the fastest way to kill them if you finish them off with a missile. And every battle encounter I end up taking a boatload of damage because there’s no real way to defend yourself outside of a pitiful side strafe.

The phazon mines suck ass. They starve you for a save room so much here while piling in so many damn enemies. I died here the first trip right before the room with the power bomb and basically had to do the entire trip again. Yay fun. Then after finally getting the plasma beam I went into an area I hadn’t explored and it took me back to the fucking mines again. Except that time I’m in another vertical shaft full of damage sponge color coded enemies that any time I get shot or miss a jump due to the bad platforming mechanics I’m sent straight to the bottom into a pool of phazon. I died here too, and since I didn’t save before coming here I have to do the stupid Geothermal Core room again for the plasma beam. Fun game.

IDK man but since this is always lauded as the best prime game this made me less excited to play prime 2, 3 and 4. Are 2 and 3 less stingy with save rooms or have better platforming mechanics and combat? Also I guess I have to hope that 4 gets an auto save because this game desperately needs it at times, especially after getting key upgrades.
Metroid Prime 4 should be better overall. Metroid Prime 2 is my favorite of the series. But I’m not sure if you’ll like it more. Prime 3 you’ll probably like the most with your concerns.

Is... is this on normal? Do they really die to 3 Missiles on normal? Huh

I sometimes like trying to use the Ice Beam to spice up the gameplay, but I'm more of a "abuse the wave Beam as much as possible until I get Plasma" player.

Random gameplay of this makes me thirsty. How do they expect me to wait 8 more days for this.

Is... is this on normal? Do they really die to 3 Missiles on normal? Huh

I sometimes like trying to use the Ice Beam to spice up the gameplay, but I'm more of a "abuse the wave Beam as much as possible until I get Plasma" player.
Yup, normal. I'm still on my first playthrough.

They don’t. They expect you to buy it on the eShop right now!
super-mario-smile.gif

I think the only differences other than graphics are the control options and some concept art gallery additions.

Dual analog is an enormous upgrade on its own.

EDIT: Oh and they added some colorblind options.
Thanks! I'll use motion aiming, but more control options are always a good thing.
And as a colorblind person myself, I'm really glad for that last setting (I never had any issues with the original release, but back then I didn't know about my eyes issue :p)

I was expecting some kind of quick travel [after a certain point] or a way to tell when a room is complete or if it has any secrets left.

Still holding for a physical but just wanted to give heads up that you can actually get it for like $34. (but I think it's worth every penny and $40 price tag is fine).

It costs 4300 jp yen on japanese eShop, you can't use foreign credit cards on that eShop but you can buy japanese eShop giftcards. so 3 times 1500 yen cards and you have 4500 yen, that way it will cost you around $34.

I’m from Brazil and it happened that I’m on Arizona right now. There’s not a single copy out there on Target, Wallmart or GameStop. I’ll try my luck on 23/02 again, but I don’t have high hopes.
Anyway, it’s cheaper to buy online in Brazil, mainly if you use nuuvem website.

Yeah, it's almost always cheaper getting digital here, especially when MP is a 40 dollar game (doubt importers will care, they will just charge the same price as 60 dollar games).

I got the game yesterday on nuuvem and they had a R$15,00 off coupon, not sure if it's still available.

Damn, returning to this game is like riding a bike. I instinctively knew every nook and cranny. Just finished my 100% scans and item run on Hard difficulty.

Still one of the best games ever released. The fact that outside of audio and visual assets everything else is unchanged really confirms this game being basically timeless.

Seeing this game in action makes my proverbial brain juices flow. Dang.

Having the player trudge through water, and then getting the gravity suit - feels good man!

Not too sure about the message "you need a suit upgrade" appearing at a few points, including some super obvious ones, even with tips disabled. I appreciate how the regular tips are in-universe, with the ship scanning for stuff, so these "after testing we concluded people get stuck here so have a message from your neighbourhood game dev" stick out by breaking the fourth wall like that xD .

Seeing this game in action makes my proverbial brain juices flow. Dang.

Having the player trudge through water, and then getting the gravity suit - feels good man!

Not too sure about the message "you need a suit upgrade" appearing at a few points, including some super obvious ones, even with tips disabled. I appreciate how the regular tips are in-universe, with the ship scanning for stuff, so these "after testing we concluded people get stuck here so have a message from your neighbourhood game dev" stick out by breaking the fourth wall like that xD .
Yeah, it's obviously a very very last minute addition, but the game world being as complex and interconnected I understand why they did that. Especially with the Gravity Suit message. Low visibility and extremely inhibited movement in that area most likely created some serious frustration that would make testers actually quit trying.

Yeah, it's obviously a very very last minute addition, but the game world being as complex and interconnected I understand why they did that. Especially with the Gravity Suit message. Low visibility and extremely inhibited movement in that area most likely created some serious frustration that would make testers actually quit trying.
I can see that. For me, I discovered the crashed ship super early and kept going there after getting new powers trying to get in. First you need the double jump, then the ice beam, and only after making sloooow progress inside do you discover that you can't continue, only to sloooowly have to trudge back =P . At least there was an energy capsule. They could've made the pool of water in front of the entrance a little deeper to prevent players from entering too early.

Of course, this kind of obstacle and backtracking does belong to a Metroid game, so maybe they didn't want to streamline it too much.

I must've missed the telegraphing to return to a previous area to get the gravity suit (if there was any =P), but now I'm back on track at least! Looking forward to getting spooked out of my mind in there.

I must've missed the telegraphing to return to a previous area to get the gravity suit (if there was any =P), but now I'm back on track at least! Looking forward to getting spooked out of my mind in there.
The telegraphing consisted of just the Spider Ball track leading up to an Ice Beam door you can't open yet. It's the one right in front of the elevator, after defeating Thardus. Just one of those things the player is tasked with remembering, much like the half-pipe in Tallon Overworld. 😅 There are a few instances like that, where you just have to recall where you saw something you couldn't previously use (or start searching the map all over again).

@Yazmat @Dragoncaine I've noticed a lot of people online having brightness problems with this game (including myself!) and what many of us discovered was that the cause was our Switch color output setting (typically set to auto) was not cooperating with the TV, causing a range mismatch and blown out contrast.

Fixing those settings instantly solved the darkness issue for myself and several others elsewhere on the net. Make sure your settings are properly configured between the Switch and your TV, see below post:
Wow, what a difference that makes! I can see now! Thank you very much for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom