• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

100% Items last night, all that remains is to tackle the final boss

Playthrough timer as of now is 11hr 37mins

Excited to tackle the end boss

Finished Dread, 100%. Easily GOTY, probably top 3 on Switch, quickly entering top 10 of all time for me after I think more about how it made me feel towards Samus and the series. It is also the very first game in my life I beat 100%. I specifically went back to look for items because I thought the movement just felt that good. What a game.

Linked this in the Kotaku Take Thread, but thought some might not read that, so I link this article by Jeff Grubb here:
Our all love interest Jeff Grubb wrote about Samus in Dread and how the game showed what kind of a character she is
and what she had to deal with her entire life.

I think this piece is much much better (SPOILER WARNING):

Regarding your timeline,
Despite being a big Metroid fan, I've never actually read the manga, I just know the lore from it. 😅 I'll just have to finally rectify that. From what I can tell, though, your understanding of things is quite accurate, with only a couple potential mistakes (?):

1.) Did the Thoha really create the Metroids after Samus had already grown up and become a bounty hunter? I was under the impression that they were older than that, but if they were, it would mean Raven Beak had to have been working for quite some time to contain the pandemic. Even if the Metroids were created that recently, though, it still took him awhile to get a hold on things, being that Samus went on multiple successful missions, during that timeframe. I guess it makes sense, being that we know how deadly the X are, and that Raven Beak didn't have the benefit of a Metroid vaccine, the way Samus did, so he had to be extra cautious.

2.) I don't think Raven Beak had any involvement with Ridley, or the Space Pirates. If he did, we don't know that for certain, as the game doesn't tell us. It actually seems more likely he had nothing to do with them, as Kraid is one of the high ranking members of the organization, yet the Mawkin have him restrained like a wild animal. It seems that, as of Super, and the aftermath of those events depicted in Fusion and Dread, the Space Pirates have been quite thoroughly decimated. Mother Brain and Ridley are permadead, Zebes is gone, and Samus did a great job thinning Space Pirate numbers across the galaxy in the Prime games, as well. I'm excited for a new type of villain, in Sylux!

1) Yeah I'm not entirely sure when the Thoha created the Metroid and the Mawkin betrayed the Thoha on SR388...because it seems like if all that happened before Samus became a bounty hunter then Raven Beak would've had plenty of time to contain the X on ZDR before Samus exterminated the Metroid for good on SR388?

2) Yeah, I think I was trying to connect why Kraid was on ZDR and restrained by the Mawkin. I figured there must've been some connection between Raven Beak and the space pirates/Mother Brain...?

Just beat it in 3h34min on Hard Mode. Unfortunately, it only unlocks the arts for the Hard Mode. I will need to play it again in Normal Mode to unlock the rest. Kind of a nuisance, but the game is so good that I don’t mind playing a third time.

I already beat the game with 100% on Normal, so this time I’ll complete the Gallery.

What an amazing game. I’m not one to play games more than once, this one is definitely an exception. Easily on my top 5 Switch games.

3:31 on Hard. Fuck was that stressful towards the end. It was going really really well until the Screw Attack, and then I got completely turned around and it seemed like I hit dead ends at every turn.

For my fourth playthrough (hot damn, fourth?) it should go much smoother. Now I know where to go after the Screw Attack, haha. Sub-3 should be more than possible. Plus it’ll be on Normal, so it should be a cakewalk after two Hard mode runs.

And then that’ll be it for the Gallery unlocks, and maybe I can finally put this game away for awhile and play other stuff!

2) Yeah, I think I was trying to connect why Kraid was on ZDR and restrained by the Mawkin. I figured there must've been some connection between Raven Beak and the space pirates/Mother Brain...?
At least in this case there's some background scenery in Ferenia which implies that Raven Beak was working with, if not outright the mastermind behind, the space pirates on Zebes. It does kind of answer where they were getting the ability to clone new Metroids from the beginning and how they would have gotten ahold of a Chozo supercomputer in the first place..

After I complete the Gallery, I kinda want to play the game again and go sloooooooow. Watch all the cutscenes, read all the Adam dialog, get the items as I go. Really absorb the game. Playing fast makes it so all the atmosphere and character and dread go right out the window.

This is such an amazing game. It’s one of my favorite games of all time.

I’m currently trying to do the shinespark puzzles before doing the final boss. Wow! Some require really quick coordination to work. I think I might end up having to look at some videos to figure out how to do the really tricky ones…

Yeah this is pretty easily my GotY. The only other thing that comes close is Nier Replicant and that's an updated remaster of a game that I already loved. We'll see how SMT V turns out, but Dread has this on lock for now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Deltarune Chapter 2. It was fantastic, but Dread still wins lol

God damn, what a great game. I loved how literally every single boss fight went for me from ‘how the hell am I supposed to beat this thing’ to ‘learning all their patterns and never getting hit’. First Metroid game I’ve ever gone for 100% item completion so yeah, enjoyed that a lot.

I can’t believe I’m saying this for a Metroid game but I actually really liked the story moments too. Like there’s not a lot, but what was there was great. Those cutscenes before and after the final boss battle... God damn.

I’m not gonna jump straight into a hard more/sequence break play through like a lot of people are, but it’s great to see there’s a lot of way to mix it up for when I do come back for a replay.

Kind of hard to rank it honestly against the rest of the series. Prime 1 is probably still my favourite, but Dread might be the best after that? I would have liked maybe a touch more openness, maybe some optional weapons to discover, but the way the game was able to guide you along without making it explicit was pretty ingenious. Not that it stopped me from getting lost several times anyway. And flying through levels as Samus just feels so good.

Just an excellent game all around, might be my runner up GOTY to the Great Ace Attirney.

Finally rolled credits on dread. Wow, just…. Wow

I went completely unspoiled and just wow(I’m saying too much). Funnily enough I got fairly used to the end boss patterns and didn’t have as much trouble as I did with some of the other bosses

But man, please don’t let me wait another 19 years for Metroid 6, I’ll be 55 and don’t think I’ll have the hand eye co-ordination to play a game like that

1-BDF157-D-65-D4-40-B4-B64-D-55-DDFB06-F5-B8.png

Play time

Also love these two captures I took, who said Samus doesn’t express emotion?

7-CC24491-0849-4-D1-C-ADE9-68-F6-DF05670-D.png

CD7-D3-D8-A-D449-4-A99-B747-09-E879834519.png

it’s not a big deal actually. You get the grav suit, then immediately shinespark up and out of the water, then you’re on to the frozen Artaria and Z-57.
There is an Infinite Bomb Jump to get back to the teleportal. It might be avoidable but Ihave had to do it both times I've done early Gravity. On Hard Mkde Ihad to do it like 10 times because I kept dying to the two Chozo Robots in the next room and it spawns you where you need to do the jump. I feel like I will alwayswant to do early Gravity anyway though, it'sso satisfyingtopull off.

image0.jpg

And finished! Items were at 75% boy that was a blast and a great end to the main current storyline. Though there is still another major thread the series has been sitting on even if it didn’t play into this one Definitely a good evolution of mechanics, trading the tankiness of the early games for mobility and counter options was probably the right move. The lore too
did not see that last story twist coming Samus the last Metroid XD, also final suit design was lit||

Also the pacing was just “chefs kiss”

Oh no, I just realized something now that I finished the game
This is now an accurate statement
metroid1.900x.jpg

The meme is dead

Just finished it. What a ride. This was my first metroid game and I loved every second of it. I died so many times but I found the difficulty to be perfect. Every boss attempt I noticed I kept getting better and better until I defeated them... super rewarding seeing yourself improve after every attempt....This is definitely one of my favorite switch games and my personal goty.

Okay.

I want to get through the game in under 4 hours on Normal. What are some basic surefire tips, or a link to said tips?

Am I dumb for attempting this having never tried to get through a Metroid game fast before?

Just made it to
ghotza an or what ever it’s called.

Really liking the game. I keep hearing the story gets crazy and I need to hurry and get it done before I get spoiled. I almost got spoiled (or I think I almost did) in one of the kotaku threads here.

My copy finally arrived today and I obviously couldn't wait another minute. Really mild spoilers about the first area up to the first boss:

I've beaten the first boss (amazing fight btw, and Samus acting all badass at the end was everything), and holy shit I'm in love with this game.

I can't explain how I feel finally playing Metroid Dread, it's such a weird feeling. It's obviously Metroid and it hits all the right notes a Metroid game has to, but it's also new and different and I love everything about it. It's not more of the same, it feels fresh and a successful modernization of the formula. It's funny to think about people doubting Metroid could have a chance in a world full of Metroidvanias now. It's quite the opposite lol the og queen is back and the other games in the genre better step up because Dread has raised the bar.

I haven't played Samus Returns so all the new moves were completely new to me, they make this the best movement Metroid has ever had by far. It's super hard to make a 2,5D game feel nice to control (I know I have a problem with most of them, even high profile ones like DKTF don't feel very good), but this is amazing. The combat is SO GOOD, it feels great to run and run and counter and destroy everything in front of you so swiftly.

The EMMI section felt a bit clunky at first when I was still a bit confused about what I was supposed to do, but now I got the hang of it and shit, it's so exciting. It's really nothing like any stealth section in any game I have played, it feels completely integrated with the gameplay and it's a change of pace at the same time. It's easy to watch the trailers and think "oh this is another one of those tired stealth and pursuit sections" but no, it's very unique and fresh.

I'm still struggling a bit with the map, it's a bit cluttered and it gives the feeling that the areas are much bigger and convoluted than they are, for some reason. I appreciate the fact that it's very informative and detailed, but I also kinda miss the simple maps from past games, they felt much easier to navigate with.

I unfortunately have to stop playing and go to bed because i have work early in the morning, but God i wish I could stay up and play all night. This weekend is gonna be wild. I still can't believe I'm playing Metroid fucking Dread, and on top of everything, it's an incredible game. I wasn't prepared for how good it is, this is crazy.

FCHF6KcVcAgpvGg

Annnd done with 100%! That was so so good haha. Probably up there with Super as my favorite Metroid? Need to think about some thing, but had an absolute blast with the game.

The final boss was sick too.
I really dig it when bosses have similar abilities to your main character. I marked out when he did a shinespark on me I was like YOOOOOO

I wanna do hard mode later and cut my time down. I'm kind of a babby though, so we'll see how far I get, but I wanna try lol. Fantastic game overall!

Okay.

I want to get through the game in under 4 hours on Normal. What are some basic surefire tips, or a link to said tips?

Am I dumb for attempting this having never tried to get through a Metroid game fast before?
The surest way to get to the ability to beat the game in under 4 hours, without having to invest a lot of time in memorizing minutia and arcana and sequence breaking, is to just play the game's critical path and only stop to grab whatever powerups are within easy reach

Like, don't do shinespark puzzles unless they'd only take you about ten seconds, etc.

I beat the game today in about 3:10:00 and the only thing I did was do the regular path quickly

Got a really close finish on my Hard Mode sub-4 hour playthrough. 3:59:33. I actually think that going for the (Sequence Break spoilers) Early Grapple Beam + Bombs cost me more time than it gained. Plus a bit of getting lost in various places didn't help.

I think that's probably it for me for now. Don't usually go for second playthroughs or fast playthroughs but wanted to give this one a shot. It was certainly fun, but not really my thing overall.

Died at the final boss the other night after a few attempts. Made it through 2 forms easily after a few deaths, but then it was nearly instant death, so I decided I’d collect some items first and try later. Now I’m down to only one damn item in Artaria. No clue where it is…

Died at the final boss the other night after a few attempts. Made it through 2 forms easily after a few deaths, but then it was nearly instant death, so I decided I’d collect some items first and try later. Now I’m down to only one damn item in Artaria. No clue where it is…

A section of the map should be flashing.

Finished my second run yesterday at just shy of 9 hours.
Tried some sequence breaking but I got lost due to it. I think going for Bombs and Grapple pre-Kraid (as well as early Cross Bombs and Gravity Suit) will add more time than it can shave off, though it does make access to some Upgrades easier early on. I did manage to get that one Energy Tank Piece down in Dairon earlier though and it's nice to master slide-jumping.

Nope. There have honestly been several times where the map didn’t flash where I found a hidden block. Remember, I’m at 100% on all areas but one.

That means you haven't actually been to the place where the power up is. Look for large places where there could be more map.

That means you haven't actually been to the place where the power up is. Look for large places where there could be more map.
I know. It’s driving me nuts! Lol. I’ll take another look tonight. It also seems it won’t flash if the entrance to the area is far away from the item itself.

I know. It’s driving me nuts! Lol. I’ll take another look tonight. It also seems it won’t flash if the entrance to the area is far away from the item itself.
It also won't flash if you haven't filled in the part of the map where the item is on a smaller scale

There was an item in Dairon that was like this for me, where I hadn't walked over to the corner of one room and so the spot had never counted as discovered. Now, granted, the item wasn't ultimately in a hidden block, but the same might be true here

Be sure to look for any large-ish rooms where you have some corners in shadow, once you've determined there are no big sections of the map missing

It also won't flash if you haven't filled in the part of the map where the item is on a smaller scale

There was an item in Dairon that was like this for me, where I hadn't walked over to the corner of one room and so the spot had never counted as discovered. Now, granted, the item wasn't ultimately in a hidden block, but the same might be true here

Be sure to look for any large-ish rooms where you have some corners in shadow, once you've determined there are no big sections of the map missing
There were no shadows I could see but yeah, I had a similar issue with one area. I needed to bomb a small square by a teleporter but since it then takes you down a winding path and through a few areas until you get to the room with the item, there was no flashing since the area with the item wasn’t on the map. Ended up figuring it out basically by accident after a mega bomb destroyed the bomb block not near me but close enough that it appeared on my map

Iirc there's one speedbooster puzzle in Artaria that doesn't show up flashing on the map and isn't in a shadowed area

It's in a sloping hallway where there's two of the poison worm enemies wandering about. It's tricky to realize because the hallway already has another speedbooster puzzle where you enter a morph ball at the end of the hallway. If instead at the very beginning of the hallway you jump to the ledge right above it, there's another pickup. Maybe you already found it, but I recall that one annoying me since as far as I could tell there's no real indication that it's there (I just thought that wall looked suspicious and missiled it to find out)

If any of this is spoilery, please let me know and I can spoiler-tag it, but I am not approaching this as spoiler-filled impressions.

I beat the game in just under 9 hours. It didn't take me 6 hours to defeat the final boss. It was a good fight though.

I would rate the game a 8/10, with two demerits for the following reasons:

1. Game is too short. I wanted a much more comprehensive adventure and was disappointed I didn't get it. Despite the game on the map looking massive and sprawling, I found the progression to be extremely linear. Power-ups obtained too close together. Not enough major bosses. This really does feel like half a game. Feels unfinished.

2. Too many hard-to-obtain extras - even at full power. I like to be rewarded for the difficulty of FINDING certain items, rather than rewarded for destroying my time and fingers trying to execute moves to obtain them. If that is Metroid, then I hate Metroid.

I really, really HATE the
Shinespark

The ending was one of the most intense experiences I had in a while, both for how hard the final boss was (but still in a way that you could learn the patterns and fight accordingly the more you tried) and all of the story-related stuff. I have to say, the ending left me thirsty for more.

This game better sell enough to warrant a sequel because I don't want to wait 20 more years to know how this goes forward!

If any of this is spoilery, please let me know and I can spoiler-tag it, but I am not approaching this as spoiler-filled impressions.

I beat the game in just under 9 hours. It didn't take me 6 hours to defeat the final boss. It was a good fight though.

1. Game is too short. I wanted a much more comprehensive adventure and was disappointed I didn't get it. Despite the game on the map looking massive and sprawling, I found the progression to be extremely linear. Power-ups obtained too close together. Not enough major bosses. This really does feel like half a game. Feels unfinished.

2. Too many hard-to-obtain extras - even at full power. I like to be rewarded for the difficulty of FINDING certain items, rather than rewarded for destroying my time and fingers trying to execute moves to obtain them. If that is Metroid, then I hate Metroid.

Shinespark
Have you played a 2D Metroid before Dread?

Nearing the end of my fourth playthrough and I’ve discovered two things:

1) I feel fast as hell. Even at the beginning of the game without all of Samus’ movement options, I can fly through the map. It feels amazing. And I’m confident about where I’m going, too. It feels great.

2) Every single fight is now a joke. Practically nothing can touch me. The only times I die now are when I get sloppy. The boss fights are cakewalks, and the EMMIs pose no threat at all. I style on them at will.

I love this game.

Shinespark

Yeah, totally fair complaints, but that is a Metroid game. This is probably the longest 2D Metroid ever. It took me 12.5 hours, because I also explored the map quite extensively. I also really find it refreshing to not have a game take 20-50 hours to complete and with such perfect pacing like in Dread? I loved the length.

Iirc there's one speedbooster puzzle in Artaria that doesn't show up flashing on the map and isn't in a shadowed area

It's in a sloping hallway where there's two of the poison worm enemies wandering about. It's tricky to realize because the hallway already has another speedbooster puzzle where you enter a morph ball at the end of the hallway. If instead at the very beginning of the hallway you jump to the ledge right above it, there's another pickup. Maybe you already found it, but I recall that one annoying me since as far as I could tell there's no real indication that it's there (I just thought that wall looked suspicious and missiled it to find out)
You are the best!

Back
Top Bottom