• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

i need an advice on multiple playthroughs :
I finished the game today, got 100% on circa 13 hours; i usually play slow but relatively thorough.
Would you go for the second replay on hard mode or on the normal mode but try to go sub 8 hours?

i need an advice on multiple playthroughs :
I finished the game today, got 100% on circa 13 hours; i usually play slow but relatively thorough.
Would you go for the second replay on hard mode or on the normal mode but try to go sub 8 hours?
I did normal 100%, hard sub 8, normal sub 4. Will attempt a hard sub 4 soonish.

I don't think it really matters, though. Once you've played through the game 2-3 times you know the critical path well enough to go sub 4 comfortably. Hard mode only really makes you take additional damage, which doesn't change much once you know the enemies'/bosses' patterns and how to deal with them.

Not finished the game yet but so far it’s my 2nd favourite Switch game after Breath of the Wild, even beating out Mario Odyssey and Smash Ultimate.

Just got the speed booster so this must be said

d82v5g7-ba42e4cb-0773-40a2-98f5-7508770f16a8.gif

Okay, the story revelations before the last boss are incredible and I'm still shaking, but I don't know if I'm skilled enough to beat the boss, lol.

I died ten times and never even reached the second phase.

Last edited:
Okay, the story revelations before the last boss are incredible and I'm still shaking, but I don't know if I'm skilled enough to beat the boss, lol.
I'm not very skilled, but once I learned the patterns I was getting through attacks untouched. Just let yourself die the first few times while you get his moveset down.

This is nuts, 0% run is hard as fuck.

I would probably not even beat the first major boss with that, lol.
Good luck! You can do it!

I'm not very skilled, but once I learned the patterns I was getting through attacks untouched. Just let yourself die the first few times while you get his moveset down.

I'll strenghten myself with some food first and try it again later.
But man, I want to beat him for the story. Why is the story in this Metroid game so engaging?!

I would probably not even beat the first major boss with that, lol.
Good luck! You can do it!

I'll strenghten myself with some food first and try it again later.
But man, I want to beat him for the story. Why is the story in this Metroid game so engaging?!
If you'd like a minor, tiny tip that might make the fight a little easier, open this spoiler

Shoot the black hole attack with four missiles

You've got this; the ending is more than worth the effort!

This is nuts, 0% run is hard as fuck.
That’s awesome. I wanna try that too. After my hard mode run I wanna go for a sub-4 run. If I want to play through it again after that, I might try 0%.

Going through the entire game with one energy tank and fifteen missiles sounds terrifying.

Not finished the game yet but so far it’s my 2nd favourite Switch game after Breath of the Wild, even beating out Mario Odyssey and Smash Ultimate.
Same. It's literally one of the biggest gaming surprises I have ever had. Previously, I have liked Metroid. Now, with Dread, Metroid is definitely a top 3 Nintendo franchise for me.

Question:
End boss spoiler:
Is there a way to avoid that one attack in phase one that fills the entire screen and looks like a shockwave?

Oh! I was really wondering what I should do against it, didn't see that it doesn't fill the bottom of the screen fully.
This time I got to the
winged phase? he looks awesome!
This is the trickiest part, but just requires you to be active for pretty much every second. SURVIVE.

This is the trickiest part, but just requires you to be active for pretty much every second. SURVIVE.

God, this part is so tense and I really need to get better at my space jumps.

Edit:
I got to the third phase! (And died there)
The first two phases are really easy now, hopefully the third one get there too, lol.

Last edited:
God, this part is so tense and I really need to get better at my space jumps.

Edit:
I got to the third phase! (And died there)
The first two phases are really easy now, hopefully the third one get there too, lol.
after several attempts on phase 2, I finished phase 3 first try. Very similar to phase 1.

I BEAT THE GAME! (It took exactly 12 hours and 30 minutes and I got 63%)

Thank you all for your support!
In hindsight the last boss isn't even so bad, it's like with every other boss: Once you now the patterns the attacks barely hit you.

This is easily my GotY and one of my favourite Switch games. I can't wait how the Metroid franchise goes from here, I really loved the story/lore of Dread!

MX8sfUT.jpg

Last edited:
Finished it. 100%, 11h40m.

Before it released I made sure to play at least one version of every 2D Metroid game, finished Zero Mission, Samus Returns, Super Metroid and Fusion. I also played a bunch of other metroidvanias I hadn't played before like Blasphemous, Ori 2 and Touhou Luna Nights, and even replayed others I liked like Gato Roboto. This is one of my favorite genres, Hollow Knight is to me one of the best games ever made. Needless to say, I was excited and in the perfect mood for another Metroid adventure.

...you could've told me then I'd have every wish I had for this game fulfilled, and I still wouldn't have understood how accurate that statement would be. The game's a masterpiece, from beginning to end. Absolutely adored it. The bosses are a ridiculous improvement from previous Metroid games, the exploration is great, the game does a phenomenal job of guiding you through the critical path while hiding it, amount of story's just right, it looks gorgeous... it truly is an achievement.

I truly hope the working conditions at Mercury Steam improve, hopefully the bad PR convinces the higher ups it's not worth it to continue with the shitty practices and empower the devs to fight for better conditions. Spain deserves a strong healthy game development industry, with this and Blasphemous there's been some really great games coming from there lately and the people who make games deserve all the recognition they can get. And I really, really want more games from this team.

Well, uh, dayumn at the final boss.

Dude packs a wollop, holy crap. Hope I can damage him.

I feel old though, I don’t remember the Fusion bosses giving me a hard time like this.

Well, uh, dayumn at the final boss.

Dude packs a wollop, holy crap. Hope I can damage him.

I feel old though, I don’t remember the Fusion bosses giving me a hard time like this.
The boss design is on a whole different level in Dread IMO. Like I said a couple posts above I played through the 2D games last month, and most bosses were all missile sponges and you rarely had to really learn patterns or were ever put against the ropes save for a couple exceptions. Dread's on the other hand remind me more of games like Hollow Knight than anything else; I don't think I beat any of them on my first try, and they were all heavy on pattern recognition and quick reflexes. That said, I actually thought the final boss was surprisingly easy, I had a way worse time with some of the earlier ones lol

The boss design is on a whole different level in Dread IMO. Like I said a couple posts above I played through the 2D games last month, and most bosses were all missile sponges and you rarely had to really learn patterns or were ever put against the ropes save for a couple exceptions. Dread's on the other hand remind me more of games like Hollow Knight than anything else; I don't think I beat any of them on my first try, and they were all heavy on pattern recognition and quick reflexes. That said, I actually thought the final boss was surprisingly easy, I had a way worse time with some of the earlier ones lol
Yeah, during my third fight I countered a few times, so I guess I’m learning haha. Dreading (pun intended) what comes next.

I can't stop thinking about this game after beating it yesterday. I really loved it. However, there's something story related which I didn't understand. Anyone care to share any thoughts? Spoilers, obviously:

After the X escape from Elun I believe Adam mentions that they have now basically consumed all life in ZDR. In that case, how come there is life in the planet in the first place if the X parasites spread before and had to be contained?

I can't stop thinking about this game after beating it yesterday. I really loved it. However, there's something story related which I didn't understand. Anyone care to share any thoughts? Spoilers, obviously:

After the X escape from Elun I believe Adam mentions that they have now basically consumed all life in ZDR. In that case, how come there is life in the planet in the first place if the X parasites spread before and had to be contained?

I think Raven Beak contained them before they could spread over the whole planet. One of his soldiers was the first infected after all.

Really frustrating that I have to overwrite my 100% play through to earn the additional gallery pieces. But I’m also trying to figure out how much I really care.

Just finished the game and
felt the final boss was easier than what was said. Using the Power Bomb to get rid of the Sun/Moon attacks makes it very doable. There is only one attack I felt was extremely hard to dodge (2nd phase, winged Chozon when he goes assault rifle).

Overall, I loved the game. My first Metroid and the controls were suberb. Probably my favourite boss fights in a 2D Game. Even more excited about the Prime Series now.

What Nintendo first party games got ZERO post launch support?

Not talking just paid DLC, like anything. Because even odyssey got Luigi’s balloon world and some costumes, LM3 got those multiplayer updates.

Just trying to weigh Dread’s potential. I can think of Paper Mario: The Origami King and Link’s Awakening?
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX only got a patch for a game-breaking bug, IIRC.

Well...this is it, it's over.

2021101800294600-9-A9-B6-E0371-D34263-D6-B6577-F9-CBA54-D5.jpg

Yeah, i know it's in normal mode, but there's almost no difference, except from the beginning, everything kills you in one shot.
Excellent work! I think I'm going to give this a try myself

Did you find any places where the lack of missiles really hurt you?

I can imagine some fights being way harder without free access to storm missiles

Did anybody else pick up multiple power bombs, I presume before they actually unlocked the ability to use them? I picked up 3 and each time the game just tells me I can't use them yet. It feels like an oddly strong enforcing of a sequence lock...

Did anybody else pick up multiple power bombs, I presume before they actually unlocked the ability to use them? I picked up 3 and each time the game just tells me I can't use them yet. It feels like an oddly strong enforcing of a sequence lock...
Yes, that’s because you haven’t gotten the item itself yet, just expansions for it

Yes, I understand this. I just thought it was a bit jarring for me. I don't know whether there's a wide consensus that this game lets you sequence-break or not.
It does generally and is designed around it, in some places

You're right that it's super jarring, though. If you'd picked up those upgrades in Super, it would have just counted as being able to use the item!

Yes, I understand this. I just thought it was a bit jarring for me. I don't know whether there's a wide consensus that this game lets you sequence-break or not.
It would be very, very hard to not get one or more of those before getting the upgrade itself, unless you're really doing very little exploring at all during your normal playthrough.

It's intentional. You will likely find 3 or 4 of those before you actually get the power bombs.

Excellent work! I think I'm going to give this a try myself

Did you find any places where the lack of missiles really hurt you?

I can imagine some fights being way harder without free access to storm missiles

Raven Beak second fase without missiles can get too long, haven't major problems with the rest of the bosses

Other than that

Is very difficult the two robotic chozo encounters, specially the first one without the space jump

Back
Top Bottom