• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

I'm going through this game so slowly compared to everyone else, but I'm really busy with university. Just beat the 4th EMMI.
Kraid was such a fun boss to fight, it took me a bit to get used to his patterns but it feels so satisfying to get so good at fighting the bosses that you don't get hit.

So I almost have all of the power ups and I'm trying to 100% each map but holy crap
some of this speed blocks are impossible to break. I have no idea how to get past some of them given where they are placed

I mean... (correct me if I'm wrong) but coming up with that dumbsterfire of a story in Other M, the character assasination of Samus and boneheaded idea to only use the Wiimote on a console that gets shipped with the Nunchuk for a 3D action game deserved all the criticism in the world.
Plus he wasn't in charge for the Metroid 1-3. Gunpei Yokoi or Makoto Kano were.

If we continue to get action packed 2D Metroid with bad-ass Samus like in Dread and slower but more puzzle heavy games like the Primes ones, then I will be happy
Sakamoto was a designer in Metroid for NES and Director of Super Metroid. Only game he wasn't involved in was Metroid 2.

I finally got through my first playthrough last night going for 100%. My in-game time said 13 hrs 26 min 57 s.

Out of curiosity though, I also noted my real-time playthrough time including deaths/ time spent looking at map, etc and it was 21 hr 19 m, so there was a fairly big difference there, probably mostly due to repeatedly attempting bosses ( the final boss alone probably took me two hours-ish).

So I almost have all of the power ups and I'm trying to 100% each map but holy crap
some of this speed blocks are impossible to break. I have no idea how to get past some of them given where they are placed

Two hints:

The game doesn't tell you this but you can refresh your shinespark by sparking into a slope. After doing that you'll go back into your speed boost state and be able to store another shinespark. (rinse and repeat)

Also you can walljump/slide while speedboosting and still keep it going.

Two hints:

The game doesn't tell you this but you can refresh your shinespark by sparking into a slope. After doing that you'll go back into your speed boost state and be able to store another shinespark. (rinse and repeat)

Also you can walljump/slide while speedboosting and still keep it going.

Yeah, I had no idea you could recycle the shinespark like that. I had to look up a guide for the one item that requires doing that.

Last edited:
If there are any you're having a particularly hard time with you can ask.

Sakamoto was a designer in Metroid for NES and Director of Super Metroid. Only game he wasn't involved in was Metroid 2.
He was in charge of the story elements of Fusion and Other M, right? Along with the Manga from 2004 or so that was the set up (and the very quick 2-issue recap of) for Zero Mission?

I'm working on a thread about the thing. I read the manga and it isn't a bad setup, but what was done with Adam and Samus in Fusion and Other M was really not good. The funny thing is that they could have followed the same basic path with a couple of little tweaks and better execution and they wouldn't have been so divisive. I think it all comes down to Samus being a bad-ass and not playing by someone else's rules that broke those two games so badly in that she felt out of character.

The worst offender in Other M was near the end when Adam shot Samus and disabled her so that he could sacrifice himself. I'm ok with the general idea, but for that she was so easy to disable right down to the Zero Suit. That was the worst. That and that she had mental breaks during the course of the story. And the thumbs up/thumbs down thing was just plain hokey.

I should just stop listing. They could probably fix it by taking the basic story beats and adjusting things. Adam could out think her for that scene instead of shooting her. As someone else suggested, instead of giving her permission to use her abilities, he could be working to restore the abilities that she lost due to a virus or something. And "Deleter" was a stupid name.

I really should stop now.

Alright, I have now finished the game (only ~90% items though). A couple of things stood out to me, no spoilers.

The world is quite open in the end, but it was almost impossible to get lost. It sometimes blocks some of your paths backwards to force you in the right direction, but it does it in a way I can appreciate. It doesn't feel overly linear, it's just the game telling you it's not time to backtrack yet.

I wasn't too keen on the bosses initially, but they got better and better towards the end. How you go from dying in a matter of seconds to being able to avoid any attack and killing the boss practically untouched feels extremely satisfying.

I actually don’t think the shine spark puzzles were that bad. Only one of them requires the slopes trick (and that one is fucking awesome to pull off). The only one that gave me a hard time figuring it out was the one in lower Arteria

the one where you ballspark across the gap after launching from that little alcove.

I had to look that one up. Every other puzzle seemed obvious to me the way to do it, it was just the execution that was tough at times.

Got the game. Man this game is quite scary. I forgot how a new metroid experience feels. It's always been like this but it's been so long since a new experience with unexpected events.

The game feels amazing.

Ok this one item upgrade on Burenia that requires you to hold a speed boost through multiple areas while falling, sliding, avoiding two slopes, and staying out of water while doing a shift thingy mid-air is insane. I'm watching youtube demos and I can't replicate it :/

Ok this one item upgrade on Burenia that requires you to hold a speed boost through multiple areas while falling, sliding, avoiding two slopes, and staying out of water while doing a shift thingy mid-air is insane. I'm watching youtube demos and I can't replicate it :/
That was by far the coolest shinespark puzzle. I wish there were more like it!

It's crazy, I had no idea you could restore the shinespark after using it, but only after a slope apparently.

ub2tSyO.jpg
My first run and I love every second of it! The maps are linear but designed so intricately, that I always feel satisfied opening up different corners of each area I could not before.
Also a prop to Mercury Steam (and all the un-credited developers ...) for designing Samus' animations with impressive attention for details as well as smoothness.
Boss fights are fast paced but I never feel overwhelmed since Samus is also equally nimble (especially after getting Space Jumps) It also feel very satisfying learning each boss' moveset, I'm sure the satisfaction will come when I manage to evade all of their attacks in subsequents playthroughs. Full image gallery here I come!

Man. THAT boss that I was chipping away at last night, but went to bed on… beat it first try this evening. Amazing how that happens.

Then I stumbled into another boss to learn like ten minutes later. 🤣

It's crazy, I had no idea you could restore the shinespark after using it, but only after a slope apparently.
Have you ever seen the secret message in Metroid Fusion? Basically the entire method requires you to use the shinespark that way. It's pretty crazy.

One of the hints shown during loading tells you this about shinesparking into slopes, but it only appeared for me after I used it in that crazy puzzle. I had to look that up online but it was still badass to pull off.

I finished my first playthrough yesterday, with 100% in 12:23. Everything was new, tense, and filled with uncertainty that I didn’t fully enjoy it. But going back for the victory lap of collecting everything was pure Metroid joy, and it really made me appreciate the environments more.

I immediately started a second playthrough on hard mode. Having a much easier time with bosses now after I know the patterns. I’m just cruising right through without getting lost, and enjoying it even more on the second playthrough. I’m not going to clear it under 4 hours but will easily keep it under 8. I guess I should have used (or copied) the completed save file to get all the gallery unlocks on The same one. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to play again.

I finished my 3rd playthrough today, under 3 hours in normal mode (like ~2:53). The game is really awesome. I'm a fan of Metroid and Metroidvanias in general, but I am not really the kind of Metroid fan that clear the games 100%. But Dread managed to make me finished it 3 times in a row, 2 normal playthrough (the first one with 100% completion in 10 hours) and 1 in Hard mode (3:43), so I even unlocked all the bonuses for the first time in a Metroid game ahahah. It was soooooo good.

Last edited:
This is not a shit post. I've just finished Metroid Dread and feel like I don't know what to do with my life anymore. Not even feeling like going to work tomorrow.

This is not a shit post. I've just finished Metroid Dread and feel like I don't know what to do with my life anymore. Not even feeling like going to work tomorrow.
I feel you. I was actually thinking after my last playthrough "wait, now I've finished the ENTIRE game, 100% and all bonuses unlocked... What am I going to do tomorrow?". For sure I'm gonna replay some Samus Returns, since it's the only 2D Metroid I only did once. But, damn, Dread was so good I think I'm gonna do a 4th playthrough lol

Heyyy. Soooo. Does finding all the elevators count as 100%? Because I’m at 93% but all that’s left is an elevator I’ve never used.

Something that wouldn’t show up on the map or flash white at all?
Yeah, that definitely happens. There was an item in Cataris and one in Dairon that were like that for me. Make sure your map is completely filled out and that you haven't missed any blocks anywhere

Check and see if there are any obvious gaps in the map—the spot i was missing was in the northeast of Cataris, for example, connecting the most northeast red corner with the blue-ish area to its west

Finished in about 9 hours with 69% item completion.

Dread was incredible overall and I think it's gonna end up being a top 3 Metroid game for me. My only real issues were the controls could get awkward once you obtain a bunch of upgrades and the music was just fine. But it was still a fantastic experience and I'm already looking forward to replaying it.

This game made me feel like I was good at video games. Having to learn these patterns and getting beat up at every boss pretty much is great! This second playthrough is going well and gonna prep for my 3rd playthrough soon.

I started a little late with this, just got past the 3rd EMMI but I'm really really enjoying it. I'm kind of shocked how late you get the
morph ball
, and now that I've got it the map suddenly feels a lot larger. I kind of appreciate how backtrack paths are sometimes blocked off and the game nudges you in the right direction while maintaining the illusion of a giant open world. In Metroidvanias I always want to waste time backtracking after every upgrade but this game is kind of telling you to just push forward and save your item hunting for later.

I beat Super Metroid a month ago for the first time to get ready for Dread, and the controls make it feel like a very different game. Super Metroid is much slower and I found myself methodically exploring every corner, where in Dread you are often zipping through screens very quickly looking for a path forward. The EMMIs certainly help with that.

Very fun game!

Wow I found something that almost could be considered an optional boss

Or maybe not, it seemed obscure to be a main boss though
Are you talking about

The second duo Chozo Robot fight? That's the only optional boss-like encounter I can think of

Hey Mercury Steam, can you please port Samus Returns to Switch please and thank you. I want to play more modern Metroid.

Hey Mercury Steam, can you please port Samus Returns to Switch please and thank you. I want to play more modern Metroid.
I honestly didn't play it because I couldn't play my 3ds after switch oddly. So I'd 100% support this.

Yep.

shinesparking sucks
Would you like a hint?

Light hint:

You'll want to start from the hallway straight across from that tunnel

Bigger hint:

Be sure to go all the way to the end of that hallway

Full hint:

Go one block further than you think you can

I just can’t make it all the way down to the bottom. Please tell me this is the hardest one. I’ve spent an hour on it already. I just can’t aim at that last hill.

I just can’t make it all the way down to the bottom. Please tell me this is the hardest one. I’ve spent an hour on it already. I just can’t aim at that last hill.
Oh! Oh I'm thinking of the wrong one!

Yeah that one's probably the hardest

Did you know you can shinespark in midair by pressing B+Y during a spinjump?

Started my hard mode run and almost immediately got stuck in Artaria before the first boss. So that was embarrassing. I think I’m just trying to go too fast, if I slow down a bit and think about where I’m going then I should be fine. So far hard mode doesn’t seem too different. The biggest difference is going from Immortal Buzzsaw Samus in my 100% file earlier today to Can’t Do Shit Samus at the start of the game.

Back
Top Bottom