• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

God Z57 in hard mode was tough. I kept trying to shinespark it but I’m not good enough for that, so I had to actually git gud and win the old fashioned way

Especially because I didn’t have storm missiles cause I sequence broke for early grav

Beat the game last night with 100% completion - I’m not the biggest fan of metroidvanias in general, but even I recognize that this game has impeccable level design, controls, and boss battles! Dread is an instant classic imo.

So far I really like this game, I think I am settling around 9/10 some control issues. But then I get to an EMMI section and these are just... not well designed, theyre so frustrating, both phases, that it really drops the score down to a 7/10 for me. I hope there are no more stealth sections after what I think was the last EMMI... seriously dragging down a good game.

Ok finished my hard mode run in just over five hours. There were tons of places where I got lost, especially in the beginning, so I know I could do much better than that. Final boss went down on my first try, which I’m happy with. He’s super easy now. The hardest fight by far was Z57.

Thinking about doing a normal run next and going for sub-4. The same basic route I used just now - early grapple and early grav (could probably skip early bombs because they’re really out of the way) - should provide an easy shot at sub-4.

Does the ending gallery not carry over between save files? In my normal mode save, I’ve got the Zero Mission image, and in my hard mode save, I’ve got Other M and Fusion, but neither save has all three images I’ve unlocked.

Does the ending gallery not carry over between save files? In my normal mode save, I’ve got the Zero Mission image, and in my hard mode save, I’ve got Other M and Fusion, but neither save has all three images I’ve unlocked.
Yeah - you're supposed to use the original file and hit new game.

No, you have to start a new game on the same file
So far I really like this game, I think I am settling around 9/10 some control issues. But then I get to an EMMI section and these are just... not well designed, theyre so frustrating, both phases, that it really drops the score down to a 7/10 for me. I hope there are no more stealth sections after what I think was the last EMMI... seriously dragging down a good game.
You can dislike them without immediately pulling the “badly designed” card, the sections are well designed and very clever.

Ok holy crap, this one is one of those big timesaves - As soon as you grab early space jump, you now head to early Screw Attack. Not only does this mean you can skip ALL OF FROZEN ARTERIA, it also breaks the way the Adam rooms works for the rest of the game. YOU DON'T HAVE TO STOP FOR THE ADAM ROOOOOOOOOMMMMSSSS!!!

No, you have to start a new game on the same file

You can dislike them without immediately pulling the “badly designed” card, the sections are well designed and very clever.
They're really not though. The gameplay is not conducive to the type of stealth they require and it eventually just becomes an exercise in frustration and loading screens as you reload over and over and over. The EMMI sections are extremely poorly designed (imo of course).

Hard disagree.

Dread is a game of adapting to situations and recognizing patterns. At first it might seem unfair or you getting cornered quickly, but after a few tries you get better at evading EMMI’s. Later in the game I got better at outrunning them and through quick skills I was able to miss out on encountering them.

It might take a few tries, but when you get the hang of it and know your surroundings, evading those things gets easier.

I played a bit yesterday, I thought a boss was going to give me the Gravity Suit, but I guess it's for latter lol

When i first reached the last phase of the final boss, i was like: "Oh god, he has another Phase? I'm never going to beat him!". Four or five tries later i had him and he was barely able to touch me. This game is fantasticly designed!

Cleared it. 100% as well, which I’ve never done in any Metroidvania. I felt the game exceeded my expectations and was a satisfying entry after so many years of waiting for a brand new 2D Metroid. The EMMIs were very well implemented and the game was tough without ever being unfair. Traversal was so smooth and speedy. Even if I got lost and was way off course, I never felt getting to another area was cumbersome.

If they decide to continue making this style of game though I would like them to mix up the items a bit more, what you pick up is fairly predictable.

But overall, another excellent Switch title. I’m not sure if it’s better than Super but it is at least number two in the series for me.

Cleared it. 100% as well, which I’ve never done in any Metroidvania. I felt the game exceeded my expectations and was a satisfying entry after so many years of waiting for a brand new 2D Metroid. The EMMIs were very well implemented and the game was tough without ever being unfair. Traversal was so smooth and speedy. Even if I got lost and was way off course, I never felt getting to another area was cumbersome.

If they decide to continue making this style of game though I would like them to mix up the items a bit more, what you pick up is fairly predictable.

But overall, another excellent Switch title. I’m not sure if it’s better than Super but it is at least number two in the series for me.
The entire series or just the 2D games?

It’s not a Metroidvania, it’s a Metroid. :)

Everyone has their own feelings of course but there's no way I can rank Dread below games like Fusion or Metroid II(any version), both of which have serious structural flaws. OG Metroid is just not very fun to play any more, so that leaves Zero Mission and Super. I haven't played ZM in forever but I feel like Dread is the better game between the 2, so it's just Dread and Super at the top.

That was likely one of the best final bosses I've fought in quite some time. The whole endgame was incredible.

The revelation about Samus' power towards the end was simultaneously a 'holy shit' moment while also being an 'oh...duh of course that's what it is' moment. I'm very interested in seeing where Metroid 6 goes from here. The speculation around the plot for Dread could also apply to a potential Metroid 6. Her Metroid powers could be seen as a threat by the Galactic Federation and she could be hunted, or her powers could be manipulated. Lots of cool possibilities from here on out.

I want a way to play ALL the Metroid games on Switch, but would especially like to play through Zero Mission (never played it), Fusion, and (as no shock at all to anyone) the Prime Trilogy.

The entire series or just the 2D games?
Entire series, but granted I haven’t played all of them. And the only 3D game I’ve played is Prime, which I enjoyed but prefer the 2D titles in general.

Super/Dread
Fusion
Prime
Zero Mission
Metroid II

Why can’t you skip the intro cutscene god

I mean you can skip the cutscene but not the primer talking about the X and stuff

Started another hard mode run. Made it to Dairon in roughly 30 minutes which seems like a good pace. I’m gonna try and clean up some of the mistakes from my last run, slightly change up the order of the sequence breaks (no early bombs, that’s too much backtracking), and hopefully I should get under that sweet sweet four hour mark.

Does Hard Mode become relatively trivial at a certain point? How long does it feel more difficult than a normal run?

Can you still mow through enemies
with screw attack
late game?

Does Hard Mode become relatively trivial at a certain point? How long does it feel more difficult than a normal run?

with screw attack
late game?
I may be wrong but I think that the difference is damage dealt rather than overall health, so you should be good on that front

with screw attack
late game?
Yes to both questions. Enemies don’t get more health, they just deal more damage.

I think Raven Beak contained them before they could spread over the whole planet. One of his soldiers was the first infected after all.

But then we would have to assume that all Chozo in ZDR were inside Elun, and we would have to accept that it took longer for them to contain the X inside a single fortress than it took Samus to eradicate all Metroids from SR388, which I guess it's possible but I'm not convinced

But then we would have to assume that all Chozo in ZDR were inside Elun, and we would have to accept that it took longer for them to contain the X inside a single fortress than it took Samus to eradicate all Metroids from SR388, which I guess it's possible but I'm not convinced

Well, Quite Robe said Raven Beak was somehow able to contain the X, so he could continue with his plan, which was by then ruined by Samus. The exact time frames we don't know and frankly I don't think we need to know every little detail.

I beat Metroid Dread a few days ago, and I'm cleaning up the map to have a 100% save. I'll echo what I said in my first post here - this is a goddamn video game. Incredible experience from start to finish, including one of my favorite final boss fights.

The process of that boss feeling impossible to nailing every dodge and reading all of the moves was so exhilarating, even more so than the other fights. And the actual stakes and spectacle of the fight itself- Samus not taking Raven Beak's crap and fighting on even with all the revelations, Raven Beak getting one wing torn off and then TEARING OFF HIS OWN WING, Samus going full Metroid and furiously absorbing Raven Beak...so good. All of it. And the quiet moment with the Quiet Robe X was a great period to end the finale on.

While the more interconnected worlds of previous titles are arguably better, Samus is just...so perfect to control, excellently facilitating both the action and the exploration. I've even grown to appreciate all these shinespark puzzles despite raging at them at first.

I've liked individual Metroid games but I wouldn't have called myself a Metroid diehard or a big Metroidvania person. This, though? It did it perfectly for me. I'm on board.

I know it's not really a sequence break, but I like the shinespark route for Gravity Suit
Technically it can be a sequence break, iirc

I believe you can do it as soon as you get the ice missiles, whereas normally you head back to Burenia a couple upgrades after that

Dread is at the top for me, no question. It’s perfect.
I still need time to let my thoughts cement themselves, and I'll probably do a full write-up after I'm done with this 0% run, but yeah, Dread is close to the top, if not #1.

The reason I can't agree with "perfect" is because they dropped the (Morph) Ball so hard in the music department. I don't know what this stuff is, but it sure as heck doesn't give me Metroid vibes, and it sure as heck isn't all that good, either. This is a series with no shortage of masterful tracks. Whether it's the dark ambiance of Super's compositions, the choral, ethereal melodies of the Prime series, or even the horror movie soundtrack of Fusion, Metroid was never weak in the sound department. This time around, with Dread, the tracks sound bland, and unmemorable. Just stuff you'd immediately forget about. They couldn't even compose a new intro track, again opting to lean on the classic Super Metroid theme, just like they already did with Samus Returns. Sure, that track is phenomenal, but some brand new stuff that is just as good would've been very much appreciated.

I just can't overstate how bummed I am about the OST. It's genuinely so unremarkable, save for the new arrangements of the classics. I have some other minor nitpicks with Dread, but nothing close to the apathy I feel towards the music. The juxtaposition between the incredible gameplay, and the boring OST is quite pronounced.

Technically it can be a sequence break, iirc

I believe you can do it as soon as you get the ice missiles, whereas normally you head back to Burenia a couple upgrades after that
Ah makes sense
I'd be tempted to try that but traversing lower Burenia without space jump seems like a task

FINALLY DONE

Normal Mode 100% 14:33:10

I could've went faster but I was having fun exploring and I didn't want it to end lol, the shinespark puzzles were super fun.
That final boss was so satisfying but brutal and what happened after omg

That metroid suit was hype, it looked amazing and dangerous and badass and I wonder what this means for Samus in the future...

So Raven Beak sorta orchestrated everything? I was a bit unsure of the timeline but this is how I understood it...

1. Samus gets attacked by Ridley/Space Pirates, gets adopted by the Chozo
2. She gets Thoha DNA from Grey Voice/Old Bird and Mawkin DNA from Raven Beak; she trains with the Chozo
3. Samus goes off to the Federation and becomes a soldier/bounty hunter.
4. The Chozo discover the X on SR388 while exploring for aeion; they create the Metroid to hunt the X.
5. Raven Beak and the Mawkin decide to use the Metroids in a bid to take over the galaxy, betray the Thoha.
6. Raven Beak returns to ZDR and starts making things ready to house the Metroids and control them on ZDR by kidnapping Quiet Robe (also starts funding space pirates to round up metroids?? mother brain gets created by the chozo?? not sure)
7. An X infects a Mawkin warrior on ZDR, Raven Beak is held up by containing the spread/destruction.
8. Samus goes through Metroid 1 - 4 (and her other games) while step 7 is taking place.
9. By the time Raven Beak is done containing the X, Samus had already exterminated the out-of-control Metroids on SR388 and elsewhere, dealt with Mother Brain, and had received the metroid vaccine in Fusion.
10. He lures Samus to ZDR and here we are....
11. Quiet Robe X gives Samus his Thoha DNA so she may control her own Metroid factor after it goes wild.

I really hope we get a continuation to this story!! Also, I wouldn't mind seeing more Chozo in the future...

All in all, a wonderful game only held back by disappointing music, everything else was amazing.
I may consider doing another run some time after I finish other games in my backlog but I'm so happy, my GOTY <3

FINALLY DONE

I could've went faster but I was having fun exploring and I didn't want it to end lol, the shinespark puzzles were super fun.

That metroid suit was hype, it looked amazing and dangerous and badass and I wonder what this means for Samus in the future...

So Raven Beak sorta orchestrated everything? I was a bit unsure of the timeline but this is how I understood it...

2. She gets Thoha DNA from Grey Voice/Old Bird and Mawkin DNA from Raven Beak; she trains with the Chozo
4. The Chozo discover the X on SR388 while exploring for aeion; they create the Metroid to hunt the X.
5. Raven Beak and the Mawkin decide to use the Metroids in a bid to take over the galaxy, betray the Thoha.
6. Raven Beak returns to ZDR and starts making things ready to house the Metroids and control them on ZDR by kidnapping Quiet Robe (also starts funding space pirates to round up metroids?? mother brain gets created by the chozo?? not sure)
7. An X infects a Mawkin warrior on ZDR, Raven Beak is held up by containing the spread/destruction.
8. Samus goes through Metroid 1 - 4 (and her other games) while step 7 is taking place.
9. By the time Raven Beak is done containing the X, Samus had already exterminated the out-of-control Metroids on SR388 and elsewhere, dealt with Mother Brain, and had received the metroid vaccine in Fusion.
11. Quiet Robe X gives Samus his Thoha DNA so she may control her own Metroid factor after it goes wild.

I really hope we get a continuation to this story!! Also, I wouldn't mind seeing more Chozo in the future...

All in all, a wonderful game only held back by disappointing music, everything else was amazing.
I may consider doing another run some time after I finish other games in my backlog but I'm so happy, my GOTY <3
I finished at 14:20 ish for the exact same reasoning. What a ride.

I finished at 14:20 ish for the exact same reasoning. What a ride.

Yay, glad I'm not alone :D

The level design was satisfying and the bosses especially were super tense until I got the patterns down, and then I felt really powerful.
I'm just always struck by how incredible Samus is, her abilities/moveset are so fun to traverse and fight with.

Kudos to the devs at Nintendo & MercurySteam for such a great game, especially after a 19 year wait.
I hope we're able to get a Metroid 6 at some point!

Ah makes sense
I'd be tempted to try that but traversing lower Burenia without space jump seems like a task
it’s not a big deal actually. You get the grav suit, then immediately shinespark up and out of the water, then you’re on to the frozen Artaria and Z-57.

FINALLY DONE

Regarding your timeline,
Despite being a big Metroid fan, I've never actually read the manga, I just know the lore from it. 😅 I'll just have to finally rectify that. From what I can tell, though, your understanding of things is quite accurate, with only a couple potential mistakes (?):

1.) Did the Thoha really create the Metroids after Samus had already grown up and become a bounty hunter? I was under the impression that they were older than that, but if they were, it would mean Raven Beak had to have been working for quite some time to contain the pandemic. Even if the Metroids were created that recently, though, it still took him awhile to get a hold on things, being that Samus went on multiple successful missions, during that timeframe. I guess it makes sense, being that we know how deadly the X are, and that Raven Beak didn't have the benefit of a Metroid vaccine, the way Samus did, so he had to be extra cautious.

2.) I don't think Raven Beak had any involvement with Ridley, or the Space Pirates. If he did, we don't know that for certain, as the game doesn't tell us. It actually seems more likely he had nothing to do with them, as Kraid is one of the high ranking members of the organization, yet the Mawkin have him restrained like a wild animal. It seems that, as of Super, and the aftermath of those events depicted in Fusion and Dread, the Space Pirates have been quite thoroughly decimated. Mother Brain and Ridley are permadead, Zebes is gone, and Samus did a great job thinning Space Pirate numbers across the galaxy in the Prime games, as well. I'm excited for a new type of villain, in Sylux!

Back
Top Bottom