• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

Finished my 4th playthrough last night - hard mode in 3:29:10. With that, I now have all the gallery images. Guess I'll play something else for a while.
Hell yeah, I finished my fourth run today and got all the images too! I must be sick in the head because I’ve already been thinking of what I’d like to do in my next two or three playthroughs.

First run complete. Normal. 100%. Clear time 12:57:25….oof. Lol. That final boss wasn’t as tough as I’d thought and I’m sure there are some better ways to take him on than how I went about it.

I’m curious about sequence breaking but I don’t know why I never feel compelled to speed run Metroid games. Might give this one a shot. The first thing I did after getting all the moons and beating Mario Odyssey was see how quick I could beat a new file (first try was 3.5 hours). So…I can do this.

How the fuck do I do a shine spark in midair without activating the screw attack?
You have to tap B, then select a direction using the left analog stick. The analog stick must be in its neutral position in order to activate the shinespark by pressing B.

First run complete. Normal. 100%. Clear time 12:57:25….oof. Lol. That final boss wasn’t as tough as I’d thought and I’m sure there are some better ways to take him on than how I went about it.

Just beat the game too, got 85% of the items. When I first got to the final boss I had like 50% of items so I was WAY short on missiles, kept running out somewhat early in the fight. It's a really tough one, but it's EXTRA TOUGH if you don't have enough ammo. Trying to brute force him requires ninja mastery.

Just beat the game too, got 85% of the items. When I first got to the final boss I had like 50% of items so I was WAY short on missiles, kept running out somewhat early in the fight. It's a really tough one, but it's EXTRA TOUGH if you don't have enough ammo. Trying to brute force him requires ninja mastery.
The run I just finished today was at 22% items and I never felt I was short on missiles

Some brave soul here in this thread finished a 0% run a few days ago, which something I want to attempt myself soon.

By the end of the game, beam spam is often more effective than missiles, depending on the situation.

I've been thinking about doing a 0% run but one of the bosses has definitely got me thinking hard

Escue, the storm missile boss, still gives me problems on Hard. Maybe I can try to get the Screw Attack early, but that seems to require the Gravity Suit; I'll need to experiment, I suppose

Or learn how to dodge its multimissile attack, which I do NOT know how to do

The run I just finished today was at 22% items and I never felt I was short on missiles

By the end of the game, beam spam is often more effective than missiles, depending on the situation.

I feel like those things are related. No strategy crossed my mind other than SHOOT IT UNTIL IT DIES. This makes me appreciate the game even more. A player with more imagination can come up with an unorthodox strategy, or if you have really good reflexes you can just dodge everything, or you can do it like me and go screw it I'll get more missiles. Honestly one of the best boss fights I ever played.

If I have one complaint, it’s that the sound effect for the Pulse Radar is insanely grating 😐

How the fuck do I do a shine spark in midair without activating the screw attack?
tapping L is often suggested but pressing Y + A + shinespark direction at the same time to get out of the screwattack and activate the shinespark at the same time was the most consistent method for me.

I think i'm close to the end, so i've started roaming the areas for items.

I have 100% in the area where you get the Power Bomb (the small one that leads to the final area) and 100% in the area where the X first appeared (Elum i think)

In two others, i have some 90% and it seems like both have one item missing, which are locked behind a Shinespark puzzle.

Does that mean that every big(ger) area has one difficult Shinespark puzzle?

Thanks in advance.

Shooting puts Samus right way up

.... thanks, now i'm not only feeling bad for not getting these Shinespark puzzles done, now i also feel stupid about it.

;_;

;D

I have 100% in the area where you get the Power Bomb (the small one that leads to the final area) and 100% in the area where the X first appeared (Elum i think)

In two others, i have some 90% and it seems like both have one item missing, which are locked behind a Shinespark puzzle.

Thanks in advance.
Yes. Though I've found there are some puzzles where you have more than one way to tackle them, either by coming in from another direction or using a better powerup to gain access. Especially when it comes to Shinespark puzzles that require Wall Jumps.

EDIT: Mind giving me the areas where you still need to find them?

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.

.... thanks, now i'm not only feeling bad for not getting these Shinespark puzzles done, now i also feel stupid about it.

;_;

;D
If it makes you feel better I didn't figure that one out on my own 😂

Beat it last night, clear time a little over 7 hours. What a thrilling finale! Easily my favorite game this year. After 100% completing this I’ll be playing through the series again. Great time all around.

*Also first post here, hi y’all!

I promise. It feels impossible, but when it clicks, IT CLICKS.

Yep, I loved that so much about the bosses in dread and especially the last one:
You think it's impossible at first, that you don't have the skill, but each time brings you closer, you learn the pattern and at the end the boss barely hits you anymore and you outplay him!

Finally. Phew.

Successful final boss clear:

So that's 0%, and 100% done. I'm sad there's not really a reason to play anymore. 😢 But man, what a ride, and truly a phenomenal game. I'd say Metroid 5 was the most anticipated game of my life, ever since I first started the series with Fusion, all those years ago. I wanted so badly for a sequel to Fusion to actually manifest, and it finally did, all this time later. It still feels kinda surreal. Metroid is alive and well, we just got an amazing game with Dread, and Prime 4 is on the horizon. It's a great time to be a fan.

Finally. Phew.

Successful final boss clear:

So that's 0%, and 100% done. I'm sad there's not really a reason to play anymore. 😢 But man, what a ride, and truly a phenomenal game. I'd say Metroid 5 was the most anticipated game of my life, ever since I first started the series with Fusion, all those years ago. I wanted so badly for a sequel to Fusion to actually manifest, and it finally did, all this time later. It still feels kinda surreal. Metroid is alive and well, we just got an amazing game with Dread, and Prime 4 is on the horizon. It's a great time to be a fan.

Amazing accomplishment. You’re an inspiration. A 0% run will be what I’m going to be attempting next, but first I gotta take a short break from the game. It’s been nothing but Dread nonstop since release!

Just started my first attempt at an under 4 hour run last night, restarted it tonight, and finished the first boss at 29 minutes.

This ain’t looking good fam.

Other day I said on here that I wanted a bonus boss
after getting the powerbombs, hidden away somewhere and now I've just realized what it is.

A rehash of that, but maybe this time there are multiple lol

God that
shinespark
attack must be a nightmare
Thankfully, he didn't use it much, on my successful attempt! He did it once, maybe.

The most frustrating thing is
in general, touching the bastard in any way means death for Samus. Literally skimming Raven Beak's toe is a game over. That shit was hella annoying, especially considering his tendency to float downward (so he can dash at you) after his beam barrage on the second phase.
Amazing accomplishment. You’re an inspiration. A 0% run will be what I’m going to be attempting next, but first I gotta take a short break from the game. It’s been nothing but Dread nonstop since release!
To be fair and honest, @Chris Walken was quite literally MY inspiration for even choosing to attempt a 0% run, heh. I saw when he completed his, a few pages back. Before that, I didn't actually know whether a 0% run would be possible in Dread.

It's crazy that it's designed in a way that it's possible.

Do you get all the major upgrades or skip some?
You're able to get them all, as the only thing that counts for percentage are the energy, missile, and power bomb expansions. That still means you have to make it through the game with 99 energy and 15 missiles, though, which can get dicey.

You're able to get them all, as the only thing that counts for percentage are the energy, missile, and power bomb expansions. That still means you have to make it through the game with 99 energy and 15 missiles, though, which can get dicey.
But did you sequence break and skip anything? Probably not as any upgrade is helpful doing such a hard feat Also
did you do a 0% no death run? where you delete the save on each death and start again

Last edited:
But did you sequence break and skip anything? Probably not as any upgrade is helpful doing such a hard feat Also
did you do a 0% no death run? where you delete the save on each death and start again
These are great ideas to keep the game fresh in the future, and to continue to challenge myself with. A no death run sounds like it could be antithetical to the gameplay, though, being that you would need to very slowly navigate through the levels, as to not accidentally get hit by some random enemy. I'm so used to the speed at which Samus can move, in this one. They gave her such great mobility. Really hoping Prime 4, mobility-wise, can be a leap above Corruption as substantial as Dread is above Fusion.

Last edited:
These are great ideas to keep the game fresh in the future, and to continue to challenge myself with. A no death run sounds like it could be antithetical to the gameplay, though, being that you would need to very slowly navigate through the levels, as to not accidentally get hit by some random enemy. I'm so used to the speed at which Samus can move, in this one. They gave her such great mobility. Really hoping Prime 4, mobility-wise, can be a leap above Corruption as substantial as Dread is above Fusion.
I was joking, the effort to get to the final boss to then start over if you made a mistake would be devastating

I’ve also got about 20 hours in. One 14 hour play through and all of my deaths therein. And three speedrun attempts I gave up on because I ain’t got the skills. 😅
I've got my first 100%, an unsuccessful speedrun, a successful speedrun and a hard mode run so far

that’s a good bet. I also think they decided the areas would be A,B,C,D,…I and then said “come up with Metroid sounding names starting with these letters”
Oh my Chozo you're right XD

Back
Top Bottom