• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kirby and the Forgotten Land |ST| Hero in Another Dimension

Favorite Kirby game from the 2010s?

• Kirby's Epic Yarn

Votes: 35 21.1%
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Kirby Mass Attack

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • Kirby Star Allies

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Whoa, in the post-game Dedede uses his hammer like a baseball bat to swing Gordos. So his side-B in Smash is canon now.
If I’m remembering correctly, I believe he already did that in Kirby Fighters 2, but yeah that was neat to see, lol. I’m still waiting for them to make Meta Knight’s new Final Smash canon, though, wings and all. Meta Knight has a move that’s very similar in this game, but he still doesn’t get the Halberd-like wings.

Disappointed to read the last couple of worlds are disappointing. I just finished 4 and thought the worlds just got better and better from 1 all the way through 4

World 3 had spectacle, world 4 had vibes
for what it's worth i don't personally agree, though i do think they plateau after 4. world 6 has what i think is the best level in the game, and there's some great environmental storytelling in world 5.

Also, I had to look it up and I’m pleased to say that after Star Allies breaking the trend, Forgotten Land brings it back

The first letter of each world name taken together in order spells something.

RtD - CROWNED
Triple Deluxe - FLOWER
Planet Robobot - PROGRAM
Forgotten Land - NEW WORLD

How good is this game compared to 3D World (a game I loved)?
From the bit I played, it's good but a different kind of platformer than 3D World. Very comparable to the differences between 2D Kirby and 2D Mario in the broad strokes. Recommended if you already enjoy Kirby, worth trying out if you like messing with different powered up forms and exploring levels to find secrets and other goodies, definitely should try if you want a 3D platformer in general even if it isn't "Mario" styled.

Disappointed to read the last couple of worlds are disappointing. I just finished 4 and thought the worlds just got better and better from 1 all the way through 4

I’m not sure I’d say disappointing or bad but just like… you’ve see all the ideas the game has by the end of world 4. It’s still certainly fun to play and look at, but it doesn’t really present anything new.

I don't think the games are really comparable. This game isn't a platformer in the way 3D World is. IMO, it's more similar to a hybrid-mix platformer like Yoshi's Woolly World or something like that.

yeah, kirby's much bigger on action, exploration and experimentation with little in the way of actual platforming, whereas 3D world is just pure distilled 3D platforming

both good, and there's a similar-ish progression, but very different in practice

I'm still working through world 6, but I disagree that they are disappointing. I'd say world 4 was the weakest, world 5 is on par with the rest, and and world six is probably the most interesting as far as player challenge goes in the level design. Even if they don't offer new mouth-modes or copy abilities, the levels themselves have unique hooks and mechanics in their design.

I would say I preferred the arrival continent worlds simply because, as would be expected as we approach the big bad, the atmosphere gets more intimidating with worlds 5 and 6. I liked the brighter atmosphere of the first four worlds more. But although it's not really a pleasant place to hang out, the factory setting in world 6 is pretty cool.

World 3 remains my favourite. I love the Wonderia setting and want to see it be an area in Super Nintendo World.

Disappointing is a strong word, personally. I think world 5 is just as great as 3-4, and 6 is maybe a bit less outstanding but still pretty solid. Overall I don't feel like the game had any major dips or peaks though, it's pretty consistent all in all.
I don't think they can be compared, as mentioned, beyond being course-based games with 3D movement. I'm this site's biggest 3D World fan and it's one of my all time favorite video games, so I would say 3D World is better, but if you like 3D platforming whatsoever I think Kirby will be plenty enjoyable.

Yeah I think it should be made clear that just because me and a few other posters found the last two worlds disappointing, doesn't mean everyone will think that or that that is the general consensus. Wasn't trying to ruin the hype! It's still a great, great game.

Obviously "good" is an opinion and in my opinion 3D World is one of the best platformers ever made, so while this is quite high up there in the food chain it doesn't quite match 3D World.

That being said, as stated previously by other posters they are ... oddly different games? ... considering this is the closest I've played to a 3D World spiritual successor. Honestly, this game kind of reminds me more of like a 3D Yoshi's Island, just without the difficulty and streamlined objectives of that game (since there are sometimes different optional objectives from level to level, unlike Yoshi's Island).

If I had to put it in a concise way: 3D World focuses a lot more on quick short levels with levels either introducing new gimmicks or building on top of old ones. Kirby is much more about slow exploration over fairly long levels, and it isn't particularly concerned with justifying each new level with a new mechanic or idea.

Last edited:
I think fifth world is as good as the others and the last one is not really bad either. Surroundings and atmosphere are just getting darker towards the end game.

Yeah I think it should be made clear that just because me and a few other posters found the last two worlds disappointing, doesn't mean everyone will think that or that that is the general consensus. Wasn't trying to ruin the hype! It's still a great, great game.

Obviously "good" is an opinion and in my opinion 3D World is one of the best platformers ever made, so while this is quite high up there in the food chain it doesn't quite match 3D World.

That being said, as stated previously by other posters they are ... oddly different games? ... considering this is the closest I've played to a 3D World spiritual successor. Honestly, this game kind of reminds me more of like a 3D Yoshi's Island, just without the difficulty and streamlined objectives of that game (since there are sometimes different optional objectives from level to level, unlike Yoshi's Island).

If I had to put it in a concise way: 3D World focuses a lot more on quick short levels with levels either introducing new gimmicks or building on top of old ones. Kirby is much more about slow exploration over fairly long levels, and it isn't particularly concerned with justifying each new level with a new mechanic or idea.
Disappointing is a strong word, personally. I think world 5 is just as great as 3-4, and 6 is maybe a bit less outstanding but still pretty solid. Overall I don't feel like the game had any major dips or peaks though, it's pretty consistent all in all.

I don't think they can be compared, as mentioned, beyond being course-based games with 3D movement. I'm this site's biggest 3D World fan and it's one of my all time favorite video games, so I would say 3D World is better, but if you like 3D platforming whatsoever I think Kirby will be plenty enjoyable.
I'm still working through world 6, but I disagree that they are disappointing. I'd say world 4 was the weakest, world 5 is on par with the rest, and and world six is probably the most interesting as far as player challenge goes in the level design. Even if they don't offer new mouth-modes or copy abilities, the levels themselves have unique hooks and mechanics in their design.
I’m not sure I’d say disappointing or bad but just like… you’ve see all the ideas the game has by the end of world 4. It’s still certainly fun to play and look at, but it doesn’t really present anything new.
Coming back to say World 5 was absolutely my favorite so far. I loved the atmosphere, music, visuals. Moonlight Canyon was a highlight (I LOVE night deserts). The boss was the first one to give me pushback (I’m even on Wild mode) and I had to learn witch time!

Also if I understand the environmental storytelling right,
the “Staff Side” of Alivel Mall is… ghosts. Pretty dark undertones, even if I’m not sure EXACTLY what it means. Whether they’ve always been ghosts, or are the ghosts of the previously alive staff

Also, the game might not introduce new mouthful modes at this point, but I thought it introduced new context for previous ones (such as blowing sand with the ring mouth) pretty cleverly.

Also just in general yall, this game is fucking GOOD. It makes me excited for the future of the series, not in the sense that it’s the “BotW of Kirby” by any means, but the general feeling of “I can’t believe they got [massive formula change of some sort] THIS right on the first try” that BotW gives me

Big post-game spoilers for the very end of the game:
Holy moly the final colosseum boss. I tried 4 times before eventually giving up. No checkpoint after Chaos Elfilis is rough. Any tips for this one? I guess I should power up my abilities?

Holy moly the final colosseum boss. I tried 4 times before eventually giving up. No checkpoint after Chaos Elfilis is rough. Any tips for this one? I guess I should power up my abilities?
I maxed out the sword and made sure to walk into the arena with double health bars from Deep Sleep. You can just buy a bunch of buffs from the store though. If you max out your buffs with store items you’ll likely still have them for the final battle, but I didn’t find that necessary. Bayonetta dodging is the most important thing.

Keeping your Sword / preferred ability all the way through is obviously most ideal. I did find since I had lost mine on my first attempt and had to beat Morpho Knight and the first phase of the final boss with normal Kirby, in a worst case scenario for the second form you can eat the orbs he spits out to get a copy ability. Like when he clearly uses a cutter like attack, eat that to get cutter. Good back up strategy to keep in mind.

Last edited:
I had a fully powered up Ranger, which I think helped a lot with keeping distance and defeating most enemies before they can even get close to you. Especially since a fully powered shot creates a vortex that makes the enemy walk slower, giving you time to power up another shot.

Also, I stacked 5 of the Power Ups before entering the stadium. (They only deplete while in battle, not in-town or in the stadium waiting room) I got 2 health bars, and then my held item was the Health Up. Once my last health bar got low, I used the Health Up which fills your health bar & gives you a second one. Essentially giving you 4 bars to survive on.

It was actually a bit of an overshoot, since I still had two bars left by the end. But I got WRECKED my first attempt, so I wasn’t messing around the second go lmao.

Edit: and like xghost said, dodging is super important. Remember that you can attack while in witch time.

I maxed out the sword and made sure to walk into the arena with double health bars from Deep Sleep. You can just buy a bunch of buffs from the store though. If you max out your buffs with store items you’ll likely still have them for the final battle, but I didn’t find that necessary. Bayonetta dodging is the most important thing.

Keeping your Sword / preferred ability all the way through is obviously most ideal. I did find since I had lost mine on my first attempt and had to beat Morpho Knight and the first phase of the final boss with normal Kirby, in a worst case scenario for the second form you can eat the orbs he spits out to get a copy ability. Like when he clearly uses a cutter like attack, eat that to get cutter. Good back up strategy to keep in mind.

I had a fully powered up Ranger, which I think helped a lot with keeping distance and defeating most enemies before they can even get close to you. Especially since a fully powered shot creates a vortex that makes the enemy walk slower, giving you time to power up another shot.

Also, I stacked 5 of the Power Ups before entering the stadium. (They only deplete while in battle, not in-town or in the stadium waiting room) I got 2 health bars, and then my held item was the Health Up. Once my last health bar got low, I used the Health Up which fills your health bar & gives you a second one. Essentially giving you 4 bars to survive on.

It was actually a bit of an overshoot, since I still had two bars left by the end. But I got WRECKED my first attempt, so I wasn’t messing around the second go lmao.

Edit: and like xghost said, dodging is super important. Remember that you can attack while in witch time.
Thanks folks, I'll try again later. Is there a faster way to farm Rare Stones in the post-game? I'm going to need 5 to get the sword upgrade and another 5 to power it up. Colosseum grinding takes a while.

Thanks folks, I'll try again later. Is there a faster way to farm Rare Stones in the post-game? I'm going to need 5 to get the sword upgrade and another 5 to power it up. Colosseum grinding takes a while.
If you’ve already done all the Treasure Roads, then unfortunately not. There are some codes that gift you a rare stone though, if you haven’t used them yet:

THANKYOUMETAKNIGHT (3 stones)
THANKYOUKIRBY
NEWADVENTURE
GAMENEWS
ADVENTUREGUIDE
KIRBYTHEGOURMET

If you’ve already done all the Treasure Roads, then unfortunately not. There are some codes that gift you a rare stone though, if you haven’t used them yet:

THANKYOUMETAKNIGHT (3 stones)
THANKYOUKIRBY
NEWADVENTURE
GAMENEWS
ADVENTUREGUIDE
KIRBYTHEGOURMET
I had not used those, awesome. Thanks!

If I start the boss level of Redgar am I thrown into the entire finale or is there true final selectable level on the world map?

Man that whole endgame/finale is absolutely spectacular. I know Kirby finales always go places but that was nuts in the best way.

Onto the postgame/ 100% cleanup now, excited to see this games version of the true arena and secret final boss (no spoiler, just an educated guess based on past Kirby games).

Would this game be comparable to Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild?

Last edited:
If I start the boss level of Redgar am I thrown into the entire finale or is there true final selectable level on the world map?
The final is considered another level that can be selected in the world map. You are just thrown in it automatically after the Redgar boss

Weird question: has anyone noticed their Switch battery being drained super fast with Kirby on sleep?

Imagine my relief when I just barely managed to stay alive with 1HP to see this:

Ki6L4U9.jpg

so excited that I even took a screenshot.

…. now imagine my immense pain 10 seconds later

😭 I’m tired. I’ll try again later.
That was similar to my experience. I had half health and was sweating so hard. Then i got blindsided by the sphere form which swallowed me and immediately took out a majority of my remaining health. That final fight is already tough, but if you get swallowed by the black hole move you lose so much health.

Sillydillo is a right bitch particularly the phantom fight. Took multiple attempts.

Really, this game may not be Nayru Necklace but it's not that easy in the advanced parts.

Finished this last night and really liked it! I did start by initially going for 100% but I started to feel a bit burned and focused solely on completing levels and finding what came to me naturally, and it definitely helped the pacing for me. I'll go back and do the rest sometime, but very very pleased by it. Felt like a pretty excellent first attempt at a 3D entry for the series and there were tons of great decisions made to accommodate. Very impressive stuff.

It was pretty cute seeing some influence from modern action games like Bayonetta too. The slow down on dodging and set piece stuff in the boss fights were great additions.

Last night my partner and I finally got to play more of the game. Wondaria Remains was a delight. I love theme park levels and I am fascinated by abandoned locations. Combine the two and you have a winner. I love the progression from starting out in the park to seeing specific rides to ending things off with a night time parade. The consistent outer space theming of the park was very apparent too, from all of the ride vehicles to the the spooky ride being about space aliens. If HAL ever decides to produce actual plush dolls of the park mascots, Wondog and Wondy, I would buy them right away.

In general, these first three worlds had an incredible sense of place. These feel like relatively grounded locations despite their fantastical and still game-y nature. And even though they are abandoned, these areas still feel teeming with life and energy. It might be my favorite aspect of the game. I hope future linear platforming Mario games, for example, can lean into that more.

Reached the end credit today. Such a good game!

A tip to anyone who haven't yet reached the boss level on world 6: allocate some extra time for that level. (It was much longer than I though it would be.)

In terms of overall quality, I would honestly put it slightly above 3D World, and that was a game I thought was very good.

They're quite different in flavour; 3D World is more fast paced and straightforward while Kirby is more relaxed and exploratory, but personally I feel Forgotten Land's greater diversity gives it the edge overall, with things like the wider range of powers, Mouthful Mode, the side objectives, Waddle Dee Town, and the Treasure Road stages.

Both are excellent games, but if I had to pick one, it would be Forgotten Land. It's an absolute gem.

The levels in this are so memorable, it makes a huge difference to me.

When I think of the RTD trilogy, my memories come back to all the boss fights and banging my head against the True Arena.
I can’t remember any specific levels. I remember having fun for sure, but not being in awe of the level design.

Here everything feels so lovingly crafted, the puzzle focus and mouthful mode stuff just makes everything so memorable.

I can totally admit to being wrong and biased by 3D or something, if y’all want to correct me. Maybe there was a big puzzle focus I just missed in the 2D games as I blitzed through, and maybe the level design is on par and I need to go back to them.

I didn't realize you could decorate the top of the fireplace in Kirby's house with the capsule figures.

Reached the credits earlier today, I really enjoyed the end and the game in general. Going to work at getting 100% now.

The levels in this are so memorable, it makes a huge difference to me.

When I think of the RTD trilogy, my memories come back to all the boss fights and banging my head against the True Arena.
I can’t remember any specific levels. I remember having fun for sure, but not being in awe of the level design.

Here everything feels so lovingly crafted, the puzzle focus and mouthful mode stuff just makes everything so memorable.

I can totally admit to being wrong and biased by 3D or something, if y’all want to correct me. Maybe there was a big puzzle focus I just missed in the 2D games as I blitzed through, and maybe the level design is on par and I need to go back to them.
The RtDL style games didn't not have puzzles in their levels, but I think they absolutely emphasized them more in this game, using combinations of copy puzzles and Mouthful Mode puzzles. The game also pushes the focus on exploration with its mission system. You want those Waddle Dees? It's not just about finding them, you gotta pay attention, gotta do weird things and find secret areas to save all of em. Older Kirby games were more straightforward in that regard. I tended to find the collectibles the first time through, only a couple of levels here and there giving me any trouble. Here? In almost every level, I am missing at least one objective the first time I play.

The theming of each level also goes a long way in helping them feel memorable too. In older Kirby games I remember worlds. Not individual levels, unless there is a particularly notable one or the theming is specifically stand out. And even then there's some repeats. Using Planet Robobot for example, I remember the train in World 1 and a train in I think World 5? I remember the two ice cream factories, and the two casinos. But in general I remember that there was a grass world, two city worlds, a oil rig desert, a mechanical-like water world, that kind of thing. In Forgotten Land, so many of the levels go to great lengths to present a sense of place within their worlds. I already gushed about Wondaria Remains in particular (having completed four worlds, it is still my standout favorite), but you see it from the beginning. I don't remember every single level perfectly in worlds one and two, which I played last week, but I remember the city level where you scale the building, I remember the mall...all that kind of stuff. That being said, outside of themes I really love, I wonder how much exacts I'll remember when I'm not playing - though I wouldn't call that a failing of the game.

By contrast, I do feel like the game has deemphasized the combat elements from the prior games. It's still there, but I find that I'm focusing more on the platforming and navigation than usual. Abilities have simpler movesets, there's less abilities than usual, and Mouthful Mode puzzles are typically that - puzzles, with enemy combat being more simplistic in those scenarios. There's been some good bosses, and the different boss level objectives and bullet time dodge mechanics add good incentives to learning the patterns, but there's also less mini bosses. Combat in general feels less precise in the 3D space, too. The camera thing does a good job of making it still feel good, but in 2D it is very exact, and that's hard to replicate in this style. The bonus levels do a good job of keeping up the action, but it is a different kind of action, I find, and they (reasonably) don't have the same level of theming as the main levels.

Of course, if you're here for the explorations and the puzzles and the uniquely themed levels and only kind of care about Kirby's beat em up elements, this isn't a big deal. But it has been noticable to me. It makes me want to see Attempt 2 at a 3D Kirby game, one with more abilities and the combat tuned up just a little more. Maybe there's a big shift that happens in the last few worlds, but outside of having a bonkers final boss (as usual) I'll probably still feel this way - great game, but I know very exactly in what ways I'd like to see tweaks for a follow up.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see a sequel lean harder into combat. Expand the power set, more fights against minibosses and enemy hoards, etc.

The first boss fight gave me a feeling of "DMC for kids" with the focus on being a small guy versus a huge opponent that is hittable at all times. None of the other bosses quite followed up on that (many of them having prolonged points of invulnerability), but I'd like to see bosses in a sequel be more interactive.

The RtDL style games didn't not have puzzles in their levels, but I think they absolutely emphasized them more in this game, using combinations of copy puzzles and Mouthful Mode puzzles. The game also pushes the focus on exploration with its mission system. You want those Waddle Dees? It's not just about finding them, you gotta pay attention, gotta do weird things and find secret areas to save all of em. Older Kirby games were more straightforward in that regard. I tended to find the collectibles the first time through, only a couple of levels here and there giving me any trouble. Here? In almost every level, I am missing at least one objective the first time I play.

The theming of each level also goes a long way in helping them feel memorable too. In older Kirby games I remember worlds. Not individual levels, unless there is a particularly notable one or the theming is specifically stand out. And even then there's some repeats. Using Planet Robobot for example, I remember the train in World 1 and a train in I think World 5? I remember the two ice cream factories, and the two casinos. But in general I remember that there was a grass world, two city worlds, a oil rig desert, a mechanical-like water world, that kind of thing. In Forgotten Land, so many of the levels go to great lengths to present a sense of place within their worlds. I already gushed about Wondaria Remains in particular (having completed four worlds, it is still my standout favorite), but you see it from the beginning. I don't remember every single level perfectly in worlds one and two, which I played last week, but I remember the city level where you scale the building, I remember the mall...all that kind of stuff. That being said, outside of themes I really love, I wonder how much exacts I'll remember when I'm not playing - though I wouldn't call that a failing of the game.

By contrast, I do feel like the game has deemphasized the combat elements from the prior games. It's still there, but I find that I'm focusing more on the platforming and navigation than usual. Abilities have simpler movesets, there's less abilities than usual, and Mouthful Mode puzzles are typically that - puzzles, with enemy combat being more simplistic in those scenarios. There's been some good bosses, and the different boss level objectives and bullet time dodge mechanics add good incentives to learning the patterns, but there's also less mini bosses. Combat in general feels less precise in the 3D space, too. The camera thing does a good job of making it still feel good, but in 2D it is very exact, and that's hard to replicate in this style. The bonus levels do a good job of keeping up the action, but it is a different kind of action, I find, and they (reasonably) don't have the same level of theming as the main levels.

Of course, if you're here for the explorations and the puzzles and the uniquely themed levels and only kind of care about Kirby's beat em up elements, this isn't a big deal. But it has been noticable to me. It makes me want to see Attempt 2 at a 3D Kirby game, one with more abilities and the combat tuned up just a little more. Maybe there's a big shift that happens in the last few worlds, but outside of having a bonkers final boss (as usual) I'll probably still feel this way - great game, but I know very exactly in what ways I'd like to see tweaks for a follow up.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see a sequel lean harder into combat. Expand the power set, more fights against minibosses and enemy hoards, etc.

The first boss fight gave me a feeling of "DMC for kids" with the focus on being a small guy versus a huge opponent that is hittable at all times. None of the other bosses quite followed up on that (many of them having prolonged points of invulnerability), but I'd like to see bosses in a sequel be more interactive.
I agree about better or more complex movesets in combat for sure. But Kirby stepping into 3D combat in general is just so exciting to me that I can forgive it. It’s just.. so cool to see, straight up.

I think the bosses ramped up after world 2. Gorimondo and Tropical Woods are huge enemies you kinda just wail on as Mekanos put it.

Starting with Clawroline, you can feel the difference, enemies were more nimble and fast paced. I ended Clawroline’s battle with way less health than I ended the first two. Got by the skin of my teeth when I hit the world 4 boss. Then had my first death in the game with the world 5 boss and I finally figured out how to witch time dodge and it just changed everything. I guess I’m just a sucker for “character action” games or whatever and this scratches that itch and makes me so excited to really dig into post game.

I’ll also say I LOOOOVE upgradeable copy abilities. Really hope that sticks. It gives a sense of growth that most platformers just don’t have, and I never held it against them, but I would definitely miss them if they were gone next game.

This game probably has one of the best original soundtracks on the Switch; up there with Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, and Monster Hunter Rise for me.

Another thing that really surprised me as a Kirby newbie: those enemy designs.

• The Kabu are the creepiest version of a moving stem in any videogame; watch out Final Fantasy, Animal Crossing, and Dragon Quest!
  • The Mumbies and Phanta are much, much better than Boos
  • The Poppy Bros. Jr. are sooooooooooooooooo cute
  • The Scarfy turn into the fucking Cacodemon from DooM if you make them angry
  • Gunk has dreads
  • Bernard is bernard
  • Sans Undertale is in the game
None of this is to even mention the animals in the game. I was trying to think about why I loved the portrayal of alligators and snakes in this game so much, such universal and basic concepts, and I realized it's because they have such a great sense of balance between the cute, exaggerated features of a cartoon but the more abrasive, mischievous and villainous features of something like a Rare game.

I'm not saying every design is a masterpiece but in terms of sheer quality I honesty find a lot of the minion designs more striking than series like Dragon Quest, which is saying a lot given the praise that series gets for its designs. And that's not even to mention the bosses ... oh the bosses ...

Same, the powers feel so fun to use I'd love to play a very combat focused game in 3D with most of the old powers back and some new ones added. It's impressive how good they feel in 3D.

Back
Top Bottom