• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Kirby and the Forgotten Land |ST| Hero in Another Dimension

Favorite Kirby game from the 2010s?

• Kirby's Epic Yarn

Votes: 35 21.1%
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Kirby Mass Attack

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • Kirby Star Allies

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
LOL This game really... goes places huh?

I didn't fully expect this level of effort From HAL and for it to be this good. Just incredible. 👏

HAL Laboratory really took all of those Star Allies complaints to heart lol. If what I've read about that game is true, Forgotten Land is the exact opposite in every way.

Wait but how do you block? Lol I somehow got to World 4 without ever finding myself in a scenario that required a block or dodge
L/R/ZL/ZR. It's also the "crouch" button if you don't have auto swallow on, want to swallow a star bullet, or want to perform the classic Kirby Slide move.

Finished the main story and working on the post game. The ending fights / sequence was amazing and the soundtrack for the sixth area was also very good.

And the gun became my favorite power, that third upgrade make it better. Also the first time I got it couldn't stop thinking about this:
RhMvuuL.jpg

I rolled the credits yesterday. No exaggeration, this is one of the best 3D platformers I've ever played. Absolutely top tier.

I'm just happy we are at a saturation point where Nintendo can publish multiple course-based 3D platformers that feel unique.

Absolutely this. I have always thought that Nintendo's 2d platformers all cover different styles of the genre. I hope we get more 3d platformers with the same approach.

I've beaten the final boss and did pretty much the entire post game, and my near-final verdict is this: This game is a true and utter DELIGHT. Seriously, I adore this game and EVERYTHING it has to offer. I honestly prefer it over Super Mario 3D World (another Nintendo Linear 3D Platformer) by a WIDE margin.

Also, the Masked Hammer ability is WILDLY OP and a blast to use.

Finally started yesterday (was on vacation, no time to play like I wanted unfortunately) and already on World 2 and the game is just so much fun. This is the first game I ever liked needle in, save Kirby 64, to the point I use it more then my beloved Cutter.

I am obsessed with 100% the Waddle Dees, to the point that I won’t move on to other stage until I get them all!

Send help!

Absolutely this. I have always thought that Nintendo's 2d platformers all cover different styles of the genre. I hope we get more 3d platformers with the same approach.
Agreed. I was thinking last night about how Donkey Kong, Wario, and Yoshi would work in this style. Definitely some good prospects.

And don't forget Splatoon's single-player campaign is basically a 3D platformer with squirt guns :)

Yeah let's get 3D platformers trending as the dominant genre. Move over, open-world action RPGs.

I've just unlocked the restaurant in Waddle Dee Town. My progress through this game is now going to slow down even further.

And don't forget Splatoon's single-player campaign is basically a 3D platformer with squirt guns :)
I'd say Splatoon is exactly a 3D platformer in Single player mode. Kirby's traversal with a star between stages within a level is extremely similar to the squid jump in Splatoon, and Kirby's "mole" ability is also very similar to Splatoon's "swimming in ink" ability.

I just got to the final boss at Colosseum Ultra Cup and man what an incredibly tough battle. Lost once that surprise extra phase popped up at the end. Those asking for Elden Ring challenges in BoTW 2 need only look to Kirby because this is as hard as any Elden Ring boss 😩

I hit the credits for the main story on Sunday. What an absolutely incredible finale, Kirby always goes off the deep end for the climax and this was one of the best ones. Playing the post game stuff now. It's safe for me to say this is my favorite Kirby game. This may be my GotY for this year.

Credits rolling.

What a GAME! Kirby - and 3D platforming - at its absolute peak. Holy fuck. This is seriously, like, a 9.

I hope we get a 3D Donkey Kong to make a sort of "Inventive 3D platform trilogy" with DK, Kirby and Odyssey.

Onward to 100%!

I'd be OK with 2D DK but if we were blessed with a 3D DK and it was a great game like Odyssey and Forgotten Land, I would truly be spoiled by the Switch library as a 90s kid who grew up on 3D platformers.

Game really is a lot of fun. I just hope that we get both. 3D Kirby and 2D Kirby. Because both styles can co-exist and do not want 2D games to go away, as they offer their own unique experience.

I also hope we still get those weird non mainline Kirby games like Super Star, Rainbow/Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, etc. Don't want those to go away.

So if I have one personal suggestion for future 3D Kirby games, only because it is now in 3D and the momentum is a bit different. Add a run button or speed him up a bit. Not to the crazy level the 3D World Switch port did, but just make him faster.

Can't wait to start this... This entire thread is getting me super excited! March was a bit of a tight month but come april I'm definitely picking this up to go along with my week long easter vacation!

This game is a delight. Haven't come far yet because I'm playing co-op with my 8yo, but it's so charming, cohesive and super snappy to play. So far it's succeeded at the "2D Platformer but 3D" in a way that Mario 3D World didn't for me.

Framerate isn't really an issue because camera movement is slow, and the input latency is very snappy. The "fuzzy" landing and aiming mechanics have so far greatly alleviated problems with depth perception, plus every transformation having a non-vertical attack option.

I'd love it if both players were able to be Kirby though. Bandana Waddle Dee is a lot of fun to control, but the constant stream of new transformations for Kirby just make everything feel so fresh.

Also, Mouthful Mode is used much more appropriately than Mario Odyssey's transformations: short burst of hilarity, after which you're back to controlling the main character again.

Yeah, this is on-track to land on my platformers shortlist, along with Galaxy, Bowser's Fury, Yoshi's Island and DKC Returns.

Game really is a lot of fun. I just hope that we get both. 3D Kirby and 2D Kirby. Because both styles can co-exist and do not want 2D games to go away, as they offer their own unique experience.
The WaPo interview with the leads suggested that 3D is not going to be the only option going forward

Just finished the main story! I hate to use this word after how abused it was in the 2000s… but that ending was epic. And very Kirby-esque. But a little on the tame side for bizarre stuff we’ve seen in Kirby endgames.

What an absolutely fantastic game this has been! I’m echoing all the previous posts about this being an instant classic and sitting high among the best 3D platformers. It has such a familiar and comforting feeling to it too, like it’s a game that’s always been there - but with a refreshing breath of fresh air and creativity around every bend and in every action. Which seems to be a trend on the Switch.

Definitely going to be going for that 100% now. (I finished at 71%)

Also, it took me an embarrassing amount of time to do the stop time crash challenge. I kept thinking I had to hold the button until it exploded, which only left me with like 50 seconds to finish.

I'm just a bit into it, but this is a very neat thing, isn't it? I think the layer of challenge in wild mode or whatever it's called is juuuuuuust there enough to keep me engaged along with the exploration elements and the "let's see what wild shit" element of surprise that the game has.

I just beat Robobot, and it was fun and neat and surprising, but this beats that out for me.

I do hope they bring back the pause menu style of previous games for the next one, can't say I have any fondness of having to do gacha to get the flavor text of the bosses, and of course I'll rather have the move list and flavor text of abilities there too, and not just in the town.

Finally hit 100% completion!! Had a blast with the post game, some really great challenges in the arena in particular. Kirby basically becomes a Platinum action game at points. lol

I don't think I even need to finish the game at this point to say it is my new top Kirby game to date.
Unless the second half of the game turns to shit, which seems extremely unlikely, this is the series pinnacle for me. It takes everything that makes the IP great and elevates it to the next level with confidence and style.

Also, that side objective where you return the lost ducklings to their mother is the most adorable thing ever.

So far I honestly cannot think of a single complaint or anything they could have done much better.

I also hope we still get those weird non mainline Kirby games like Super Star, Rainbow/Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, etc. Don't want those to go away.

So if I have one personal suggestion for future 3D Kirby games, only because it is now in 3D and the momentum is a bit different. Add a run button or speed him up a bit. Not to the crazy level the 3D World Switch port did, but just make him faster.

I kind of disagree a lot here, I love the new game but it felt surprisingly similar to the 2 games on the 3DS, which were both spectacular as well. The new game feels like a literal direct sequel to those in 3d, but it feels and is very similar to them to the point I feel both existing in tandem wouldn't offer enough difference, certainly not the contrast you'd find with say, Mario 3 versus Mario 64. I'm also not really sure why someone would classify Superstar as not mainline when it was considered the gold standard for the series core up until maybe the 3DS titles took a run at it, it was basically the series 'big' game forever, and to this day still seen as such by many.

I kind of disagree a lot here, I love the new game but it felt surprisingly similar to the 2 games on the 3DS, which were both spectacular as well. The new game feels like a literal direct sequel to those in 3d, but it feels and is very similar to them to the point I feel both existing in tandem wouldn't offer enough difference, certainly not the contrast you'd find with say, Mario 3 versus Mario 64. I'm also not really sure why someone would classify Superstar as not mainline when it was considered the gold standard for the series core up until maybe the 3DS titles took a run at it, it was basically the series 'big' game forever, and to this day still seen as such by many.

Mostly because Superstar was an break from the standard and did something new and experimental with the gameplay, offering a variety of games that feel very different.

Mostly because Superstar was an break from the standard and did something new and experimental with the gameplay, offering a variety of games that feel very different.
super star basically set the baseline for what would become the rest of the series. the vignette structure is fun and a good way for them to do what kirby does best (bombastic ending setpieces) multiple times in a single title, but it's not drastically different in a way that canvas curse or mass attack are

the games don't really feel any different since they're all, at their core, the exact same game, just with a slightly different framing device

pay attention to those backgrounds folks, what a delight to find a secret little areas with unique assets and not much more than some extra cash to hide haha

Just finished the Main story, this game is a 9.5 man. its been so many years ive actually enjoyed a kirby game. Thank god for the switch man.

On world six right now.

I have to say that for me personally there is massive difference between the worlds on how interesting or beautiful they are. Some are most beautiful and fun worlds I have seen in video games altogether. Then there are, for me personally last few worlds that are more on the "meh" side. They still have enough variation on gameplay and level design to not be bad, but the overall theming is really going ups and downs.

Also I am starting to feel what I already knew, that this is going to be quite short game. That's not bad but just one extra level on each world would have been great.

All in all. Still a great game. Mostly gorgeous in it's presentation and it has really it's own charm being a platformer where the character is not very good at platforming, but instead eldritch horror.

I'll still drop my previous evaluation from all-time classic to just great game.

I'm liking this game thus far midway through World 3, but so far it hasn't hit the highs of Robobot yet.

Huh, I expected to enjoy this, but it's my number one game of the year so far. That genuinely surprises me; I had Horizon: FW bolted on as my sure number one, and though I'm probably coming back up to about an 8 or 8.5 out of 10 for it, I am enjoying Kirby way more. This is a really good game. Two notes:

First, "A Trip to Alivel Mall" has GREAT music, so far my musical track of the year and might just hold that all the way through unless we get Odyssey 2 later on or ASOBI drops another Astro platformer or something.

That's my jam right there.

Second, does anyone get the sense of stop-motion animation on framerate drops? When there are lots of enemies on screen or if the issues with draw distance makes the game struggle, I can see slowdown, but it looks just like a stop-motion cartoon, and as I get closer, it shifts into the normal FPS. I'm wondering if it's just me. If HAL worked around the limitations of the hardware by making even the slowdown look good, that is a point in their favor. Maybe it's just me.

Huh, I expected to enjoy this, but it's my number one game of the year so far. That genuinely surprises me; I had Horizon: FW bolted on as my sure number one, and though I'm probably coming back up to about an 8 or 8.5 out of 10 for it, I am enjoying Kirby way more. This is a really good game. Two notes:

First, "A Trip to Alivel Mall" has GREAT music, so far my musical track of the year and might just hold that all the way through unless we get Odyssey 2 later on or ASOBI drops another Astro platformer or something.

Second, does anyone get the sense of stop-motion animation on framerate drops? When there are lots of enemies on screen or if the issues with draw distance makes the game struggle, I can see slowdown, but it looks just like a stop-motion cartoon, and as I get closer, it shifts into the normal FPS. I'm wondering if it's just me. If HAL worked around the limitations of the hardware by making even the slowdown look good, that is a point in their favor. Maybe it's just me.

yeah it does look a bit stop motion/diorama-y and works for something like Kirby very well with big bright cartoony characters, and less well for other more detailed/realistic games where it breaks immersion

Yeah, I really found it quite charming.

Like, very few games could pull that kind of thing off and it look cute instead of just... bad. But Kirby manages it.

I reached the 100% screen earlier today. I loved it. HAL have made Kirby's transition to 3D look effortless. I hope they add a bit of extra content that makes obtaining rare stones easier.

Okay 1) hell yeah to the Alivel music, it’s been playing on repeat in my head all freakin’ day.

2) So I’m not the only one that sees the claymation/stop-motion look of the frame rate lmao. It’s very charming to me lol, and fits like a glove with Kirby’s cute aesthetic. Instead of being a detriment, it just gives me Spiderverse vibes.

Last edited:
Animations far away are animated with half the frame rate.

Games a huge hit in my house.

Every single member of the family is playing their own file. (Co op stopped pretty quickly, everyone wants powers). Including myself.

So that's me, the misses, and all 4 minions.

Im in the lead and I just cleared the frozen land.

It really wasn't a break from the standard though, the series was always a bit fluid in the direction it was going but Superstar ended up basically becoming the winning formula which in turn directed the mainline series from there. Dreamland 1 was slower and basic but dreamland 2 and Adventure definitely started to play with the formula to solidify what Kirby would become with his power absorption and some of the level design elements. Superstar basically just exceeded them by making move combos and adding co-op, but otherwise the bulk of it was more or less 'worlds' with mini games and little stories attached to each. Different directors I believe handled Dreamland 3 and 64 in contrast to SS, but it became clear that people preferred the faster paced more action oriented Kirby titles which is what Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot continued, and this new 3D game basically feels like a platinum game lite at times and very much spawns directly from the action/beat em up roots that started with SS.

Kirby is at its best when it's basically a beat em up with cool combos, world design, etc, it's what makes the formula fun for more skilled gamers while still being approachable to people not wanting to press the systems. Most of the fancy stuff in the Kirby series isn't really needed to do unless you really dive into the Arena modes, but it does make it feel engaging and thus more enjoyable for advanced players to play within as a sandbox, it's why the Dreamland formula was abandoned and why people were pretty bummed about DL3, it just felt so slow and plodding in a post SS world. SS set the standard and is the one people look back to, much like how OOT and now BOTW sort of set the course for their mainline Zelda series, they may have been deviations but they became the new standard or 'bible' for the design.

Finished the game, 71%, tho I'll go for 100%, because why wouldn't you 100% a Kirby game.

It was kinda weird having lava world as the final level, that doesn't happen often, last time was Return to Dreamland, but this one doesn't have the cool weird meteors in the background, definitely would have liked at least a couple of levels in the Observatory, that is a more proper thematic ending for Kirby.

The finale itself was cool, deepest lore strikes again, not as crazy as Robobot or Star Allies, but given the context of those final battles, just being slightly more chill than those isn't a bad thing. I would have liked a couple more phases but that is what I assume the extra world is for.

Game itself is pretty good, pretty much a RtD-SA game in 3D. I give somewhat of a pass to some of my problems with the game for being its first 3D game, but if we don't get more powers back, and their proper move sets, I'll be disappointed, the upgrade system isn't a good substitute I feel, since is not a new thing to the series, and those games had a lot of abilities on top of that. I do like the challenge rooms, a good expansion on the RtD ones, not the biggest fan of the purely combat ones, sword can have some neat applications for traversal with the 2D challanges.

Really liked the addition of the challenges in the levels, more so the exploration based ones and definitely the no hit runs against bosses, super fun, really like the bosses too as a whole, translated pretty well both the gameplay and cinematic flair of the 2D games.

Minigames were fine, they were more so simple distractions like RtD and SA than minigames that would make for cool spin-offs like Deluxe and Robobot.

Would like to see a new game in this perspective for sure, with its necessary improvements, otherwise I still would prefer 2D Kirby.

And they never miss with Dedede, always gets the coolest shit.

Just hit credits. Do all Kirby games have amazing endings like this? Because holy shit that was awesome.
the finales are what kirby games do best (and it's why super star ultra is considered top-tier, since it manages to have five of them)

definitely try robobot out if you can, it's paced similarly to forgotten land and the final chapter there is still the best in the series imo

the finales are what kirby games do best (and it's why super star ultra is considered top-tier, since it manages to have five of them)

definitely try robobot out if you can, it's paced similarly to forgotten land and the final chapter there is still the best in the series imo
I will absolutely try more Kirby games if they get ported to Switch. I just haven't tried Star Allies yet because that's supposed to be extremely easy and by the books.

I will absolutely try more Kirby games if they get ported to Switch. I just haven't tried Star Allies yet because that's supposed to be extremely easy and by the books.
star allies is, after all its updates, fine
it's not a top-tier kirby game, largely because of the co-op focus, but it's got its moments and its finale lore dump is also rather fun to watch unfold

thankfully the dream friends they've added have unique campaigns in guest star mode with much better level design overall and generally better movesets, and then there's the post-game Another Dimension Heroes story, which is much better designed and harder to boot

i won't really advocate for it but if you nab it on sale you could do a lot worse with an afternoon

I think the biggest shame about Star Allies is that, while its updates made the post game significantly better, adding lots of replayability and more engaging challenges, those changes don't affect the main game much at all and thus don't fix its issues. To get to the good stuff, you gotta get through a main game that's pretty dull as a single player game and good (but not better than, say Return to Dream Land, but that's just my opinion) as a co-op game. If you really like to replay games/challenges under new conditions, like playing through a relatively short experience with different characters or challenging yourself to fight bosses with different powers, then I think post-game offerings like Guest Star and The Ultimate Choice are fantastic selling points. If you're more of an "I'm done once I reach the ending" player, though, it's hard to recommend Star Allies unless you have friends.

Game's insanely cute, though, and the fan service with the Dream Characters is real. They absolutely succeeded in making this a love letter to Kirby's past. Might not do much for you if you're new to the series, though!

Planet Robobot badly needs a port off 3DS. It is excellent, up there with Super Star and Forgotten Land as the best of the series. If you want to play at least one or two other games exclusive to the 3DS, it's worth getting a 3DS to play it/them.

Back
Top Bottom