• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Kirby and the Forgotten Land |ST| Hero in Another Dimension

Favorite Kirby game from the 2010s?

• Kirby's Epic Yarn

Votes: 35 21.1%
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Kirby Mass Attack

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • Kirby Star Allies

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Paper Mario with generic Toads: Super lame!
Kirby with generic Waddle Dees: Super cute!

Shadow with a gun: OMG, how cringe. Ow ThE eDgE
Kirby with a gun: OMG, how awesome! My favorite copy ability!

Kirby makes everything better. Just beat the first world and I'm really enjoying it so far!

On world 2, and holy shit, that treasure road where you have to "mouthful" the fucking stairs.... that stage can fuck right off. Time just keeps running out on me.

The final boss is:

Fucking EPIC

Also my favorite copying ability is the gun. The max upgrade is so OP, love it.

Holy fuck these winter levels are fantastic. Blows Odyssey's out of the water.

Hey, don't be throwing shade at Shiveria.

But I just got to the Winter world and it is pretty great. The architecture on the first level is pretty awesome. Almost Crumbledon if it was wintery but pleasant. The music sounded very Xenoblade too.

But my TV had a minor freak out. Some weird shimmering starting happening. I normally have the TV on animation mode, but switching to game mode seemed to make it go away at the expense of raw picture. This is a 30fps right?

Hey, don't be throwing shade at Shiveria.

But I just got to the Winter world and it is pretty great. The architecture on the first level is pretty awesome. Almost Crumbledon if it was wintery but pleasant. The music sounded very Xenoblade too.

But my TV had a minor freak out. Some weird shimmering starting happening. I normally have the TV on animation mode, but switching to game mode seemed to make it go away at the expense of raw picture. This is a 30fps right?
I'll throw shade at Shiveria all I want, it deserves it. The most boring winter level I have ever seen.

Just came here to leave this gem. Probably my favourite song from the entire OST. Fits the mall level too well.

....is this game in the top 20 Nintendo OST's? (I was going to say top 10, but then I remembered how many Mario games there are, plus F-Zero, DKC, etc)

Holy fuck these winter levels are fantastic. Blows Odyssey's out of the water.
Not hard to do, which I say as a huge ice level enthusiast. Ice levels have always been Kirby's specialty though so I'm not surprised Forgotten Land added another notch to that belt. Either that or world 5 is my favorite.
....is this game in the top 20 Nintendo OST's? (I was going to say top 10, but then I remembered how many Mario games there are, plus F-Zero, DKC, etc)
It's very good but I'm not sure I'd even put it in like, the top 3 Kirby OSTs lol.

My heart wants to binge the gacha machine, but my brain keeps reminding me how sad I was after getting all of Series 1 quickly and then knowing every one I got in the levels would just be a dupe.

(Edited an earlier post because I’m a dumbass who’s bad at math)

Anyway, the game’s a real pleasure to play, I love to go and 100% each level. And it’s so beautiful.

Last edited:
Looks like NOA is bringing the Kirby bag from Japan! (Okay, they look slightly different, but after missing out on so many good items that were Japan only, this is close enough.)

So does sleep does anything at all? I don't see the reason for it to be a power up. The waddle dee in the town told me I'm missing a blue print and looking at the rest of the powers in the store sleep is the only one I haven't upgraded, but if not usefull at all not going to take my time to search for it.

So does sleep does anything at all? I don't see the reason for it to be a power up. The waddle dee in the town told me I'm missing a blue print and looking at the rest of the powers in the store sleep is the only one I haven't upgraded, but if not usefull at all not going to take my time to search for it.
sleep's upgrade is actually pretty nifty. sleep has a minor use since it heals you now, and the upgrade improves that and buffs you

sleep's upgrade is actually pretty nifty. sleep has a minor use since it heals you now, and the upgrade improves that and buffs you
mhm I can only see it working on very specific cases, as in levels the sleeping enemies are rare, and I guess if you want to save some money to buff yourself for the bosses time challenges instead of buying items from the store. But money is not an issue in the game so I'll save it for the 100% run

Looks like NOA is bringing the Kirby bag from Japan! (Okay, they look slightly different, but after missing out on so many good items that were Japan only, this is close enough.)

What’s different about them, we just can’t see the back no?

What’s different about them, we just can’t see the back no?
The NA version has binding seams (looks like bias tapes) around the openings. The bag's handles and the body is one piece, but for the Japanese version the handles seem to be sewn on. I also don't see the yellow tying strap (with velcro?) in the US photo.

Paper Mario with generic Toads: Super lame!
Kirby with generic Waddle Dees: Super cute!

Shadow with a gun: OMG, how cringe. Ow ThE eDgE
Kirby with a gun: OMG, how awesome! My favorite copy ability!

Kirby makes everything better. Just beat the first world and I'm really enjoying it so far!

Worth mentioning that Paper Mario and Sonic games are generally somewhere from bad to okay, where Kirby games are usually good to great.

But I concur, more Kirby with guns. GTA Kirby. Do it.

You never realize how fond you’ve become of your little ally until after they’ve been snatched from you. 😭

I didn’t expect to see Dedede so soon, and after defeating him I started wondering what other bosses could be ahead since it still feels early. Then the big boy started getting up in the background, and I began smiling like an idiot knowing it’s only just begun.

This game has an amazing incline!

So, does that book in Kirby’s house ever expand to include, like, games from before the 2010’s?

Been trying to get a no hit on the world 2 boss for the mission and right at the end somehow I always get hit. Booooo.

Stated using upgraded ranger for some burst damage. Let’s see how that goes.

Is there a cancel action for floating? I find myself wanting to cancel a float to speed up the landing process.

Have yet to beat the game (currently on world 6), but I think I can safely say this is one of the strongest entries in the series to date. They've done a fantastic job of translating Kirby gameplay into 3D, and have made me absolutely love using some abilities I was never huge on before. Needle basically becoming Katamari is brilliant, and
Homing Bomb is fun as hell to use. It does almost remind me of Sheer Heart Attack from JoJo, haha.

World 3 has probably been my favourite so far, but I also loved Worlds 4 and 5. The OST played no small part in that!

Can someone answer a question for me? Better spoiler-tag it.

Is there weird, "dark" stuff later in the game like in previous entries?

Almost to World 3 now! The treasure road challenges are not fooling around at all. I've struggled to complete some of the 2 Star difficulty ones in the first attempt already. The evolved ability ones definitely put your understanding of how the movesets work under exam!

Also, this is probably a bit trite, but for some reason the way the level objectives in this game are structured, it's really making me want to take a second look at Yoshi's Crafted World. I bounced off that really hard at the time because I think I was just at a place in my life where I was rushing through games and something about the way that game was structured to encourage exploration (and some degree of backtracking) just didn't really jive with me. I've noticed in the last 2-3 years I'm a lot more willing to allow myself to take my time and allow myself to enjoy a game and even go deep on the systems rather than just trying to burn through everything as fast as possible and then get frustrated when I get stuck on a hard boss or can't figure something out and progress just screeches to a halt.

The ability upgrades, treasure road challenges, and side objectives in levels are all such fantastic and well executed ideas. Together they give the game such a satisfying sense of flow and progression.

It also has such a premium feel, a level of polished elegance normally reserved for series like 3D Mario or Smash Bros.

It's hard to believe this is the first 3D mainline Kirby, it just feels so assured and effortlessly brilliant, like they've had decades to refine their formula. Definitely one of the best 3D debuts for a series that I've played.

World 4 is so cozy

everything about this is so well and effortless, well put @curl-6

after galaxy, this is honestly what I would have expected from 3D World which was wonderful it its own right but felt a little too level-editor at times

This game also partially feels like how I remember early 2000s platformers

I know Sonic Adventure 2 and PAC Man World 2 didn’t Age well, but this has a bit of that edge and charm

Third tier upgrades?! No wonder I felt like I was ripping through them… and just like Pokémon evolutions some of the ugly second evolutions make more sense now lol. Cmon needler you better end up hot.

These speed boosts feel like an apology for Origami King’s useless coffee buffs. IYKYK.

Generally finding the difficulty curve to be great too. Challenges are a great way to signal towards ”hidden exit” style secrets of yesteryear without spoiling them. I’m starting to miss a collectible here or there and not just the “beat x with x power up” challenges.

This game also partially feels like how I remember early 2000s platformers

I know Sonic Adventure 2 and PAC Man World 2 didn’t Age well, but this has a bit of that edge and charm
Yeah this game really makes me feel like I'm playing a 3D platformer on the GameCube, and I mean that in the most positive way possible lol. People are comparing it to 3D World but longer levels with multiple checkpoints remind me more of say, the Crash Bandicoot games than anything else.

I thought i'd seen everything the game had to offer after getting 100% but @Raccoon went and changed everything by showing me this secret in one of the world 4 stages:

A whole alternate version of the stage where all of the miniboss encounters are in pairs, not just the Frosty duo at the end. I knew the Maxim Tomato was there because it's required for a Waddle Dee, but not the whole extra route. Wild.

Super smart game design how the treasure road segments prepare you for challenges rooms in the main game too if you choose to play them

Lmfao @ Dedede just getting up during the level completion screen and using it to capture Elfilin, expertly done

Stating the obvious here - but I love how different encounters can be based on the power up you choose. Supreme replayability that they tap into with challenges asking you to use specific power ups for bosses. Would be cool to see them take it the extra mile and track each power up similar to the time challenges for completionist sake. Perhaps the arena does that, haven’t checked it yet.

Just got nearly rocked by the world 4 boss with cutter, returned with drill and made easy work of it.

I had the same though, Waddle Dee Town gives the same vibe of Pac-Village from Pac-Man World 2!
Lmao especially wise waddle dee / professor pac… hmmm

Yeah this game really makes me feel like I'm playing a 3D platformer on the GameCube, and I mean that in the most positive way possible lol. People are comparing it to 3D World but longer levels with multiple checkpoints remind me more of say, the Crash Bandicoot games than anything else.

Yes, I think this is actually pretty different style game compared to 3D World. Just the camera and linearity is the same.

Yup it has strong Crash 1 vibes

Yes, I think this is actually pretty different style game compared to 3D World. Just the camera and linearity is the same.
I'm just happy we are at a saturation point where Nintendo can publish multiple course-based 3D platformers that feel unique. I really do think the Switch is a godsend for the genre. Even if it takes a long time for the pendulum to swing back to course-based 3D Mario, I'll be thrilled to play more Kirby like this.

Yup it has strong Crash 1 vibes
Thankfully they removed the sexy girlfriend character from this game at the last minute.

I thought i'd seen everything the game had to offer after getting 100% but @Raccoon went and changed everything by showing me this secret in one of the world 4 stages:

A whole alternate version of the stage where all of the miniboss encounters are in pairs, not just the Frosty duo at the end. I knew the Maxim Tomato was there because it's required for a Waddle Dee, but not the whole extra route. Wild.

WHAT?!

The early 3D platformer Kirby FL reminds me the most of is Bomberman Hero and not just because you can throw bombs at everything in 3D lol.

The early 3D platformer Kirby FL reminds me the most of is Bomberman Hero and not just because you can throw bombs at everything in 3D lol.
I've always thought that if Nintendo tried to make a course-based 3D Mario game on the N64, it would probably look similar to Bomberman Hero in scope. It's an interesting little game with a banger OST.

I wouldn't be opposed to HAL trying a more Mario 64-esque direction for Kirby, but I'm happy with the foundation they've laid for this game.

More than anything, it really does feel reflective of its own series, as well the differences between Mario and Kirby as franchises. Kirby has always been about taking your time and exploring levels, using your copy abilities to fight enemies, solve puzzles, and find new paths in its otherwise linear levels. Meanwhile, Mario places movement first, either to beat levels within a time limit or explore sandboxes to clear objectives. And these ideals are preserved perfectly in their 3D entries on Switch. Super Mario Odyssey is all about using Mario's base movement and the new movement provided by captures to find Power Moons. 3D World focuses on speedy completion of short and linear levels with extra collectibles found primarily via platforming and timer based challenges. Bowser's Fury blends the two approaches to 3D Mario, with smaller, linear levels in a wider open "world". And Kirby and the Forgotten Land sticks to linear levels with an overall slower pace but features loads of secrets, plenty of enemies and bosses to fight your way through, and lots of unique puzzles and scenarios to use both copy abilities and Mouthful Mode. Kirby is a different flavor of platformer compared to Mario, and I'm glad both can coexist.

I wouldn't quite say that it gives me Crash vibes, though. There are similarities in terms of level length, and going for boxes does give a reason to scour levels like with Kirby, but Crash has the feel of a pure platformer that requires more precision and timing. Kirby levels are broader and gentler (even on Wild Mode, which is what I'm playing the game on, but hey, maybe things change after World 2. The wait for this weekend to play again with my partner will be intense...), with a much greater focus on puzzles, combat, and exploration. Feels like yet another separate flavor of 3D platformer to me.

I've always thought that if Nintendo tried to make a course-based 3D Mario game on the N64, it would probably look similar to Bomberman Hero in scope. It's an interesting little game with a banger OST.

I wouldn't be opposed to HAL trying a more Mario 64-esque direction for Kirby, but I'm happy with the foundation they've laid for this game.
Yeah Bomberman Hero was awesome. Had a lot of ambition it couldn’t always realize, but its efforts were interesting and it was so fun getting perfect scores on each level. I loved the soundtrack too.

I'm just happy we are at a saturation point where Nintendo can publish multiple course-based 3D platformers that feel unique. I really do think the Switch is a godsend for the genre. Even if it takes a long time for the pendulum to swing back to course-based 3D Mario, I'll be thrilled to play more Kirby like this.
At any point a 3D Kirby would have felt unique from the rest, because I think most main entries emphasize the action side of the series more than the platforming, and really Kirby is more so a good entry level action game with some platforming that is eased up by flutter jumps and the like than a pure platformer like Mario.

Back
Top Bottom