• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kirby and the Forgotten Land |ST| Hero in Another Dimension

Favorite Kirby game from the 2010s?

• Kirby's Epic Yarn

Votes: 35 21.1%
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Kirby Mass Attack

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • Kirby Star Allies

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters

Catalyst

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
OEOiCQISQm7Yb203QAdBK2gNjclqaTX6IM9Tg7ZIa0V-lit8CVBkE0hhf1c5wqYI3it8a4zj-bKHPIaZ4DHy7YuCqHnaajOqvN0B9I_p2FmBNb1a5WVNuTJ0B2EGDwNWbhmFxGVy

vxdZTliD7G0is6i-_Xmk9UBAv-gWSRICphPn_zv5lUHXEfulCh8PuxAKi2DOZt6ah1yGZ1QLu9VwkZpNMSdKQD2-Ke13CG0f5JvTuvQgM0mKmobCcqlfXPoPul1eJWBoklSQtcLG

Basic Facts
Release Date: March 25, 2022
Number of Players: Single System (1-2)
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: HAL Laboratory
Genre: Action, Platformer
Supported Play Modes: TV, Tabletop mode, Handheld mode
File Size: 6.2 GB
Supported Languages: Japanese, British English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Korean, Dutch, Simplified Chinese, Latin American Spanish, Canadian French, Traditional Chinese, American English

-C_948RM4xY7bWyH8lwuWKk2fTYRPDgoe79dV3JANt8yo2h2vgmZdYsVqLHC_TJcUJ7Xnt0u6pvnKOJtr1Gwb6MemP8Iri9h_71nsP5y1x5WQA5RacYB4quW0RRu1xbnou8hlQK0

A city packed with secrets.

Game Overview
For 30 years, Kirby has established himself as an iconic and consistent game series with some of the best 2D platformers in history. But fans have been hotly anticipating HAL to finally take the series into the 3rd dimension. Kirby and the Forgotten Land does that, and then some! The classic Kirby gameplay is translated faithfully to 3D, with tons of sucking and copying action through vibrant and creative worlds.

In this adventure, Kirby and Bandana Dee are sucked into a post-apocalyptic world where a band of villains known as the Beast Pack are kidnapping the local Waddle Dees. The two of them and a new friend named Elfilin must team up to rescue the Waddle Dees, restore their damaged town and stop the Beast Pack.

Kirby-Town-PS.png

From ghost town to dense village.

New Features
All of this stuff seems cool for sure, but you may be asking: “What makes this game different? Is it just generic Kirby but in 3D?” But fear not, as the game has way more up its sleeve! Such as:

Mouthful Mode: Kirby’s dimensional journey granted him a new, slightly disturbing power! Inhaling large inanimate objects allows Kirby to take the shape of them and utilize their qualities throughout the level. There are over a dozen Mouthful abilities, which are all exclusive to specific parts of levels. You will speed through courses with the powerful Car Mouth, light up dark paths with the bright Light Bulb Mouth, and channel your inner Mario Sunshine cleaning up goop with Water Balloon Mouth!

Upgraded Copy Abilities: For the first time, Kirby’s copy abilities can be enhanced! At Waddle Dee’s Weapon’s Shop, you can upgrade any of the 12 abilities into more powerful versions. Each Copy Ability has three evolution forms. Having trouble fighting enemies with a normal sword? Upgrade to the massive Gigant Sword and beating them will be a (spring) breeze!

Waddle Dee Town: In between levels, Kirby can hang out in the fully 3D hub world, Waddle Dee Town! The village is in shambles on first arrival but as you rescue more Waddle Dees, you can rebuild the entire town building by building. Places of interest include the Gotcha Machines where Kirby can obtain collectible figurines, the boss rush Colosseum, the aforementioned Weapons Shop, and even Kirby’s house! In addition, the “side modes” from previous Kirby games have been consolidated into the hub world as minigames. You can go fishing or serve food at the Waddle Dee Cafe.

1bzBL44wovVtHa_LubdJ8ajzzFN5IaR9xyrQaRf7B2w5U8Bc3qkbrD2Y_6wAVBeR4sP97jZK579gwtvKaDhFtcYq0gZ0J9gjP0o7eDY-q93P0P6LJykLCkaSNdVC8JE7dp31OzMZ

Less intimidating than he looks.

FAQ
How hard is the game?
Considering what series we’re talking about, it should be no surprise that the game is on the easier side. However, there are multiple difficulty modes! At any time, you can switch between the easier Spring-Breeze Mode and the moderate Wild Mode. Wild Mode features tougher enemies and a lower health bar for Kirby, but the levels contain more Star Coins to collect. If you have experience with other platformers you should have no problem with Wild Mode.

How does co-op work? Forgotten Land features two-player local co-op with Bandana Dee. The trusty Waddle Dee can use his spear abilities to help Kirby, and they even level up alongside Kirby’s abilities. However, Bandana Dee cannot use Mouthful Mode and the camera always follows Kirby, so this is more of an assist role. The four-player co-op and usage of multiple Kirbys in past games are absent from this one.

There’s a demo, right? Yes, there is a free demo for Kirby on the Nintendo Eshop! You can play three levels from the first world, including a battle with the Gorimondo boss. Progress does not carry over to the final game, but you are given a code after completing the demo that can be used in the game.

Kirby-Star-PS.png

The star of the show.

Critic Reviews
The critics really love Kirby! The current Metacritic score of 85 makes this the highest reviewed Kirby game since Epic Yarn in 2010. See a sample of what they’re saying here:

GameSpot (9/10):
“…one of the best platformers on Nintendo Switch thanks to its brilliantly designed stages and a dynamic arsenal of abilities that consistently shake up the moment-to-moment platforming and action.”

Destructoid (9.5/10):
“I came in expecting a very serviceable Kirby adventure and got a lot more, but with those same straightforward and effortless virtues that past games have commanded.”

IGN (8/10):
“...lovely and vibrant, with cleverly designed levels that make consistently smart use of Kirby’s abilities.”

NintendoLife (9/10):
“...a proper celebration for Kirby, a great big 30th anniversary bash that's stuffed to the gills with fun times, a grand — and suitably OTT — main campaign, tons of side activities, minigames, collectibles, seamless co-op play and more besides. Kirby and the Forgotten Land is the very best this franchise has been since Kirby: Planet Robobot, and if you know how much we like Robobot, you'll know that's quite the recommendation.”

Kirby-Beach-PS.png

Kirby's Awakening.

Useful Resources
Reveal Trailer
Copy Abilities/Co-op Trailer
Mouthful Mode Trailer
Review Thread
Nintendo.com page (with demo link)
"Ask the Developer" interview with HAL and Nintendo developers about the production of the game

Thanks to @VolcanicDynamo for helping me start the creation process, and @mazi for compiling the reviews in the Review Thread.

File:KatFL Car Mouth artwork.png

Let's roll!

Last edited:
Great work on the ST, @Catalyst! Cannot wait to play this game tomorrow after work. A 3D Kirby game that uses abandoned urban settings is a match I never expected, but it's one I'm adoring. The demo was great and I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of the game.

Robobot was far and away the best 2010s Kirby game and the best game in the series since KSS/KSSU. If this can match that then we are in for a treat.

I have my game preloaded and ready to go, can't wait! I thought I was excited then I played the demo 😅 my vote went to Epic Yarn, I adore that game but honestly Kirby team just make bangers.

My favorite is Star Allies, specially after all the updates, legit there isn't a more hype moment for me in the series than fighting Void, but either of the mainline titles are very, very close, the saga from Return to Dreamland to Star Allies is something truly special.
I wish Shinya Kumazaki was my dad.

Y'all gonna really love the music in this game. Like probably one of the best music the series has to offer. I can't wait for y'all reactions to these songs.

Finally it's here! This game has the biggest Nintendo marketing push out of all Kirby games so a 10 million sold Kirby game is no longer a dream! 10m is definitely a possibility but for a safer guess I'd say 7m total.

I have to vote Mass Attack only because I haven’t played Robobot yet. Gonna have to grab that before the shop goes down though!

Love the addition of a poll to the ST

FYI, apparently Walmart is NOT selling this for their usual $50 discount. I was going to pick it up tomorrow after work but I'm preloading it now.

You know, speaking of Planet Robobot, it's amazing how that game exists and how good it turned out. In structure, it's nigh-identical to Triple Deluxe, a game Kirby fans view as good but not as top tier as Robobot. Both have...
  • A unique thematic identity for the series (fairy tale fantasy vs robotic sci-fi), with new and returning abilities matching the aesthetic
  • A brand new gimmick that expands on one of Kirby's traditional abilities (Hypernova for the inhale vs the Robobot Armor for the Copy Abilities)
  • The exact same number of worlds and levels (including levels per world that increase in number as you progress through the game)
  • A focus on going between the foreground and background throughout the level design
  • A set of major collectibles that you need to find enough of in a world to unlock the boss (of which both games have 100 in total), where collecting all of them in a world unlocks a bonus level featuring older Kirby music; these are typically found through solving copy ability puzzles, either as part of larger areas or in specific puzzle rooms
  • A minor collectible based on visuals from previous Kirby games
  • The exact same Goal Game at the end of each non-boss stage
  • A focus on one of Kirby's allies who has been brainwashed who you must fight as part of the main story and who helps you to defeat the final boss
  • Two expanded sub games, one a score-based challenge involving a new play style and the other a multiplayer game focused on combat using Kirbys with fixed copy abilities
  • An unlockable speed run version of the main game where you play as the aforementioned friend of Kirby's featuring returning bosses from other Kirby games at the end, specifically bosses from games where said friend of Kirby did not appear
  • Arena and True Arena, ending with a "soul" version of the final boss
  • The exact same main menu theme!!
So many aspects of the design are shared between the two games to the point where, despite their radically different thematic approaches, they are arguably the most similar pair of Kirby games outside of remakes and their originals. And yet, those distinctions make a lot of difference. The unique thematic identity, continued emphasis on good lore and fan service, and an incredibly well-integrated main gimmick has pushed Planet Robobot over the top to become the modern fan favorite. And while I do like Triple Deluxe more than some and really appreciate it for its structure that Planet Robobot would reuse, Planet Robobot is just really dang good.

Of course, if we're talking structure, I already like the direction Kirby and the Forgotten Land is taking with the missions found in each level. A great way to get players to interact with and explore each level.

Last edited:
I am so incredibly excited, especially for the new music and lore! Give me those juicy pause screen descriptions—or, rather, collectible figure descriptions, in this case, I guess, lol. 👀

Also, Kirby Mass Attack is underrated.
You know, it's kinda funny, it's definitely underrated by the general public, likely for being a late DS game released after the 3DS came out (hell, even I never bothered to play it), but it has one of the better critical receptions among Kirby games. Only Kirby games with a higher Metacritic score are Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, and now Forgotten Land.

Ready for lore craziness

Ready for the horrifying final boss

Ready for some dope music

Ready to pull my hair out trying to clear The True Arena

I just hope this one has EX bosses. Star Allies didn't get those until DLC

An example from the dev interview of why it took so long to Kirby to come to 3D and why it’s much harder a job to have gotten so right than it appears

Quality OT title, appreciate the deep cut.

Ready for lore craziness

Ready for the horrifying final boss

Ready for some dope music

Ready to pull my hair out trying to clear The True Arena

I just hope this one has EX bosses. Star Allies didn't get those until DLC

This guy gets it.

You know, it's kinda funny, it's definitely underrated by the general public, likely for being a late DS game released after the 3DS came out (hell, even I never bothered to play it), but it has one of the better critical receptions among Kirby games. Only Kirby games with a higher Metacritic score are Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, and now Forgotten Land.
It definitely gets critical favor, bit I rarely see it on anyone's list of favorite Kirby games.

I also say this as someone who still hasn't played Planet Robobot.

Damn, playing games at 30FPS is a killer in 2022...I've been far too spoiled by PS5/Series X.

The game is beautiful, but it moves like molasses.

Oh wow, Tim from Kinda Funny said some of the minigames are call backs to other Kirby games like tilt n tumble

Lmao, Tim also compared planet robotbot to a shitty spin-off, uh

Why is this thread not popping off!? One hour to go everyone!!!
My gut feeling? Kirby hype is spread across a lot of threads. General Discussion, review thread, a few others. We're all pretty hype, but we're also talking about it in a lot of places.

I think once we all get our hands on the title, we'll have more discussion here.

My gut feeling? Kirby hype is spread across a lot of threads. General Discussion, review thread, a few others. We're all pretty hype, but we're also talking about it in a lot of places.

I think once we all get our hands on the title, we'll have more discussion here.
Very true, Mario Kart was more concentrated. Plus I can imagine a lot are waiting till after work to dive in versus how easy it was to quickly check out the Mario kart tracks.

Very true, Mario Kart was more concentrated. Plus I can imagine a lot are waiting till after work to dive in versus how easy it was to quickly check out the Mario kart tracks.
The Mario Kart thread had quite a few factors to sustain its hype early on:
  • Me releasing the thread a week early to concentrate discussion there.
  • No review thread, meaning discussion is less split.
  • A staggered release before it launched, leading to massive "LET ME IN" energy.
  • Leaks providing extra content to sink our teeth into.
  • It's Mario Kart, the most popular game on Switch.
Mario Kart also has the fortune of getting its content released over time. That thread will probably keep going until late 2023.

But enough about my own thread, lol. I got the email from Best Buy saying my copy is ready to be picked up! Gonna be getting it during my break from work, then I'm gonna play it once I get home with my partner. Very hyped.

Been a bit since I've been this excited for a new Kirby title. Happy to see my baby boy still prospering even 30 years later, and NOW in the 3rd dimension! Ready to see what new kinda cute eldritch horrors await me tomorrow.

After playing though a good chunk of it, this game is just delightful.

It's overflowing with charm, the feel is on point, its chock full of clever ideas, it looks and sounds lovely, and the load times are almost old school cartridge fast.

It's like the video game equivalent of a warm hug, and these days, that's exactly what I needed.

Last edited:
Part of me wishes I hadn’t played the demo, took the wind out of the sails a bit for this moment haha. I’m sure once I get in it’lll be long forgotten.

EDIT: Alright I’m calling it for tonight. What a delight so far.

The menus and UI specifically are outstanding!

I love the joke in the writing towards building the theater in Waddle Dee Town first lol, I was wondering exactly that as I walked in. Love that this game doesn’t take itself too seriously.

Last edited:
Super fun so far, the powers translate really well to 3D and the treasure levels are great fun.

I've 100% cleared the first three worlds now; really loving this so far. Even with all that progress my completion percent is still at 28%! Got a lot left to go, clearly.

Now I only have to plough through 3.5 hours of work until I can go home and plaaaaaaayyy!!

I was able to miss one of the red tulips on the very first level, just as I did when playing through the demo. And I really tried to be super careful to investigate everything...

Back
Top Bottom