• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Hollow Knight: Silksong — Pre-release Discussion Thread

One of the comments claims that a beta tester said the game was coming in July. If so, holy shit.
Iirc from the times I've occasionally dipped in to the HK Discord that beta tester is a notorious jokester, and I'm pretty sure he's claimed Silksong is coming out on X date as a troll move in the past.

The only mechanic that will bother me if changed or dropped is the whole mapping system. Hollow Knight made players work to map out the world, and I think the system worked in beautiful synergy with the game's openness and focus on exploration. It is one of the details that made it the greatest 2-D Metroidvania of all time.

However, the fact I have heard some complaints regarding that mapping system makes me worried Team Cherry might want to tweak it in some way. Tweaking is fine, but I hope that if they do alter it, the unique system of the first doesn't get replaced by the generic Metroidvania mapping mechanics.

But that is a silly concern overall. I think criticism about mapping came mostly from those who did not like the game, and I trust Team Cherry to deliver yet again on this front and all the others.
The mapping system never bothered me that much, but I felt like the death mechanic (where you lose your currency) runs directly counter to exploration by adding penalties for risk-taking. That's one of my least favorite mechanics in gaming....but still nowhere near the top of my list of hopes for the game.

My biggest wish is that the game will give you a little more both in the beginning and throughout to give meaning to your quest. I understand that they went with more environmental storytelling, but that meant that I missed a lot the game had to offer.

The mapping system never bothered me that much, but I felt like the death mechanic (where you lose your currency) runs directly counter to exploration by adding penalties for risk-taking. That's one of my least favorite mechanics in gaming....but still nowhere near the top of my list of hopes for the game.

My biggest wish is that the game will give you a little more both in the beginning and throughout to give meaning to your quest. I understand that they went with more environmental storytelling, but that meant that I missed a lot the game had to offer.
I agree with what you see in the death mechanic. It can indeed feel like it punishes exploration. I mean, it is not a game-breaker, and after playing Dark Souls I got more used to it (I went through the trilogy after I played Hollow Knight). But it does work against the exploration focus to a degree.

The only mechanic that will bother me if changed or dropped is the whole mapping system. Hollow Knight made players work to map out the world, and I think the system worked in beautiful synergy with the game's openness and focus on exploration. It is one of the details that made it the greatest 2-D Metroidvania of all time.

However, the fact I have heard some complaints regarding that mapping system makes me worried Team Cherry might want to tweak it in some way. Tweaking is fine, but I hope that if they do alter it, the unique system of the first doesn't get replaced by the generic Metroidvania mapping mechanics.

But that is a silly concern overall. I think criticism about mapping came mostly from those who did not like the game, and I trust Team Cherry to deliver yet again on this front and all the others.
The map system is great. Could do without the compass taking up a charm though

One of the comments claims that a beta tester said the game was coming in July. If so, holy shit.
He (Graig), has trolled fans in the past about the release date. However, I could totally see him being right this time and maybe even TC being okay with it. Everyone just assumes he's joking, when in reality it's the actual release date. This is a looooong stretch.

geoff update
time stamped video (4:34)

Q: Do you know what's happening with Silksong?

A: I do, we've been talking to them, I don't know exactly what's what but I think they were actually hit pretty hard by the pandemic, it's a small team and stuff like that so they've been taking their time but we check in with all these teams all the time so I don't know exactly what the state of the game is or where they're at. I would love to showcase that game when they are ready. They did an edge cover, it was like a year or two ago and then didn't really put more out on it but yeah we've certainly talked to those guys and team cherry is a great studio and we'd love to work with them at some point.

Last edited:
Long winded answer for " I don't know exactly what's what but I think they were actually hit pretty hard by the pandemic".

Well, did not expect that. With wher they are situated (dont they do a lot from their rather "remote" office? maybe im mixing things up,
and if could have been freinds and family and that that had an inpact.

Irrelevant. Seems the game is still not ready, but seemingly still on track. Wish them luck.

(Obviously it COULD be a deflection, because he knows that it will be shown, but that line of thinking
does not seem fair to team cherry, if they really struggled with the pandemic)

I won't believe this game exists until I'm rolling credits.

If Dorito's Pope is right, then i guess it's safe for me to play another metroidvania since it will take a while for Silksong to come out.

Thanks for the update, mazi!

But yeah, it's just speculation by Geoff, which is all we have at this point. My personal speculation is that they were actually not hit very hard by the pandemic (they are a very small team so that issue easier to manage). I just think it's a big game and they are both ambitious and perfectionists. It will come when it does, and I feel it will be soon.

But then, I have been feeling it's coming soon for a while. :p

Anyway, take your time and don't overwork yourselves, Team Cherry. Stay healthy and creative.

Thanks for the update, mazi!

But yeah, it's just speculation by Geoff, which is all we have at this point. My personal speculation is that they were actually not hit very hard by the pandemic (they are a very small team so that issue easier to manage). I just think it's a big game and they are both ambitious and perfectionists. It will come when it does, and I feel it will be soon.

But then, I have been feeling it's coming soon for a while. :p

Anyway, take your time and don't overwork yourselves, Team Cherry. Stay healthy and creative.
Which means, if some of the core members or their family gets it and has the stronger course then it could inpact them big.
Maybe somebody still has long covid. Or somebody lost someone.

Im not happy with people arguing for every delay with pandemic, but that does not mean that its just an organisational/
structural problem companies had to work with.

Every single time I see a Silksong 'tease'

v1.jpg

I mean, Keighley did score Elden Ring last year and Silksong is kinda in a similar position hype-wise, so it's not impossible

if the game shadow drops this thursday, then rip every other game for the foreseeable future.
how do shadow drops work on steam? don't they usually get leaked in the steam database?

Wouldn't "world premiere" necessarily mean it's a game we have never seen before, which is not the case with Silksong?

"World premiere" to Geoff means anything related to game content that hasn't been released yet, at least until he stretches it to things that are already released too.

if the game shadow drops this thursday, then rip every other game for the foreseeable future.
how do shadow drops work on steam? don't they usually get leaked in the steam database?
I don't know about "usually" but they're occasionally leaked in advance, yeah

I'll be honest I'd be pretty amused if my Three Hopes vs Sunbreak question was answered with "Silksong"

Not sure I would even want a shadow drop. I feel like I need at least two weeks to hype/speculate/discuss with friends/etc.

Obviously I will take whatever they give me, though.

Not sure I would even want a shadow drop. I feel like I need at least two weeks to hype/speculate/discuss with friends/etc.

Obviously I will take whatever they give me, though.
same, i would prefer a heads up. not the biggest fan of shadow drops in general, specially for games i'm already looking forward to.

crowsworn... well... is it okay for Matthew to be marketing for the Sequell and a Mod of Hollow Knight at the same time? =P

Joking. Just found it rather... to close, some aspects seem as if they where liftes out of hollow knights code anr some animations remind me so close that it feels like it was traced over Hollow Knights animation...

Man, this news is really throwing me for a loop. I'm stuck between wanting to hype, but also being cautious because of past experiences. It doesn't make sense that Leth would post those comments if it was for anything else but Silksong. He said it himself that he's aware of how his words are taken, and scrutinized by the HK community, so he makes sure (like when he disconfirmed SS being at last E3) that the opportunity never arises.

That being said, people have their own lives to live. Maybe he really is just teasing at another new game he's apart of.

Man, this news is really throwing me for a loop. I'm stuck between wanting to hype, but also being cautious because of past experiences. It doesn't make sense that Leth would post those comments if it was for anything else but Silksong. He said it himself that he's aware of how his words are taken, and scrutinized by the HK community, so he makes sure (like when he disconfirmed SS being at last E3) that the opportunity never arises.

That being said, people have their own lives to live. Maybe he really is just teasing at another new game he's apart of.
I feel like Leth's done stuff like this before, but maybe I'm just thinking of the times he's liked tweets related to events. I'm not sure if he's ever come out with a more direct tease like this

That being said, Leth isn't only doing marketing for Silksong, even if that's what he's most known for and what he has to know everyone will be thinking about

I feel like Leth's done stuff like this before, but maybe I'm just thinking of the times he's liked tweets related to events. I'm not sure if he's ever come out with a more direct tease like this

That being said, Leth isn't only doing marketing for Silksong, even if that's what he's most known for and what he has to know everyone will be thinking about
The only other game that he's doing marketing for is Crowsworn, but info for that is being teased for July 10th. Maybe he's doing something completely new and unannounced?

The only other game that he's doing marketing for is Crowsworn, but info for that is being teased for July 10th. Maybe he's doing something completely new and unannounced?
Hm, didn't realize Crowsworn was being teased for the 10th, pretty excited for that at least. Off-brand Hollow Knight or not, the game looks fun

Anyways maybe it's something new, or it's just him trolling. Idk, I'm at the point where I'm skeptical of Silksong news no matter the circumstances. Won't stop me from getting my hopes up and actually sitting through Keighley Fest 2022 (or, more realistically, letting it play out in the background), but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. I've done this song and dance too many times for that.

Hm, didn't realize Crowsworn was being teased for the 10th, pretty excited for that at least. Off-brand Hollow Knight or not, the game looks fun

Anyways maybe it's something new, or it's just him trolling. Idk, I'm at the point where I'm skeptical of Silksong news no matter the circumstances. Won't stop me from getting my hopes up and actually sitting through Keighley Fest 2022 (or, more realistically, letting it play out in the background), but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. I've done this song and dance too many times for that.

It just FEELS like the time for this game to reappear. I don't think it'll shadowdrop, though, I think it's too big for that now.

Hopefully it's not filed under the "Indie Games That Never Materialized But That Got a Lot of People Hyped" section of the book.

Back
Top Bottom