• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Hollow Knight: Silksong — Pre-release Discussion Thread

I jumped when I saw this on the front page you fiends

for all we know voice lines were finished in 2018

This is like Link's grunts being done for a Zelda game, that is, means nothing most likely.

A game dev on a Monday morning with some spare time.
if you played hollow knight you know that team cherry cares way too much about quality to do that

even their shortcuts are polished to a mirror sheen

Quoted by: 10k
I’ve tried to play Hollow Knight like four times and got lost or stuck each time! Lol. Maybe I should try and get into it one last time before this finally comes out…

People that get lost or stuck why don’t you just look up what to do instead of quitting
If I recall right I did, at least somewhat. I found Hollow Knight to be really confusing to navigate, and it’s weird cause I feel like I don’t often have that issue in a game! I can play Dark Souls or Blasphemous, say, without being turned around a bunch. But I would look up some next steps, make it a little further, get stumped again. I think eventually my interest just deflated from there.

I often go back to games I didn’t quite get down the road and end up really liking them though. Been a few years for HK. Maybe it’s time haha.

If I recall right I did, at least somewhat. I found Hollow Knight to be really confusing to navigate, and it’s weird cause I feel like I don’t often have that issue in a game! I can play Dark Souls or Blasphemous, say, without being turned around a bunch. But I would look up some next steps, make it a little further, get stumped again. I think eventually my interest just deflated from there.

I often go back to games I didn’t quite get down the road and end up really liking them though. Been a few years for HK. Maybe it’s time haha.
I find it hard to get back into stuff if I quit in the middle of it and come back months later, I either have to finish the game when I start it or I have to start over from the beginning if I quit and haven’t played in months

I find it hard to get back into stuff if I quit in the middle of it and come back months later, I either have to finish the game when I start it or I have to start over from the beginning if I quit and haven’t played in months
At least a few of my attempts were separate, from-scratch goes at it. I agree totally, I have tried to pick up saves from months ago and it never pans out. Death Stranding comes to mind immediately aha. I did restart and end up really enjoying it though!

It would be nice to catch up on HK before Silksong, despite my struggles with it. On paper it checks just about every box that makes me go, “Wow, that seems like a cool video game.” I feel like I’m missing out!

People that get lost or stuck why don’t you just look up what to do instead of quitting
Sometimes it takes a while for a game to click, sometimes you fall off, sometimes you don't want to stick with a game that loses you instantly. It happens. I started Yakuza 0 3 times over half a year before it stuck

hollow knight didn't really click with me at first either. i played the steam version on my laptop for ~10 hours and put it down. but then playing it on switch, it clicked and i couldn't put it down and played for like 70 hours.

i think if it does click for you, you'll want to experience everything it has to offer and get better and at that point you won't mind the difficulty or dying and going through the same paths over and over again because you'll just see that as gaining experience and getting better. but if it doesn't click (as it evidently doesn't for many people), i understand why one would hate a lot of things about it.

it's one of those games where the people who like it, REALLY like it and get obsessed with it. there's a reason why, with just one game, it's such a huge IP for people. huge active subreddit, youtube channels dedicated to just HK videos, a huge speedrunning scene, a ton of fan art in every medium, etc. it's a really special game.

Sometimes it takes a while for a game to click, sometimes you fall off, sometimes you don't want to stick with a game that loses you instantly. It happens. I started Yakuza 0 3 times over half a year before it stuck
I’m not talking about people that don’t like the game, I’m talking about people that like it but can’t figure out what to do so they quit

So I said instead of quitting why don’t they just look up what to do next

how are we feeling?

Hopeful.

I admit that I don’t have the biggest interest in the game, but knowing how the agonizing wait for a game you like feels, particularly an indie you really want to play and have to wait possible years to, I honestly hope the game gets a release date or flat out shadow drop.

how are we feeling?
qRn00zV.gif

At this point, Silksong it's material for a June direct with a shadowdrop; i'm not hopeful for today and that's ok.
This. It would overshadow everything else in an indie direct.
There are tons of people that have it as their most anticipated game.

For me its next to BotW2. So... yeah.

Also i dont have time for it now, no Shadowdrop please xD in 2 weeks then =D

I would imagine Nintendo would get the marketing rights and shadow drop it. Safe to say that Silksong is perhaps the most anticipated indie game of all time. I just don't see it at SGF.

I would imagine Nintendo would get the marketing rights and shadow drop it. Safe to say that Silksong is perhaps the most anticipated indie game of all time. I just don't see it at SGF.
yeah i think whatever the next announcement for the game is will be done via nintendo as well.

...Honestly, thats the most Tangible thing we have had for years that its even still alive.

Currently im so confused about that game.
Is it really more "complete" then hollow knight, is it bigger? was the change in gameplay something that lead to problems in development?
Is it more ambitious in terms of visuals? (like did they aim for 4k now, more elements per screen,...)

And i will be so sorry for the people that start the game and realize, that it plays different and then get frustrated that they waited so long
and did not get a Hollow Knight 2 but a Silksong.

...Honestly, thats the most Tangible thing we have had for years that its even still alive.

Is it really more "complete" then hollow knight, is it bigger? was the change in gameplay something that lead to problems in development?
Is it more ambitious in terms of visuals? (like did they aim for 4k now, more elements per screen,...)

And i will be so sorry for the people that start the game and realize, that it plays different and then get frustrated that they waited so long
i think the reason the game has taken this long is that they just keep adding to it. for hollow knight, they had to get it out at some point, and then spent a long time creating new content for it. now because of HK's success they have the financial security and are not in a rush to get the game out before they think it's content complete. i also don't expect any post-launch DLC for it like HK got.

as for people not liking it, i doubt that'll be the case. while i'm sure the games will not play exactly the same, it'll still be a great metroidvania made by the people who made one of the best games of the genre. it's kinda hard to mess that up and disappoint people.

edit: not to mention, they have kept the team extremely small. any other dev would have expanded a lot after the success of the first game. we have to keep in mind that it's still 3 people making a game with a massive scope.

huh. so i'm certain there was a page for silksong on the NA nintendo site. seems like the page has been removed. even the link on the game's official website now leads to nowhere. there's still a page on european eshops tho (like UK).

edit: seems like the page has been down since february

Last edited:

Based on the gameplay I'd seen, isn't the gameplay very similar to the last game? The changes (apart from the environments and enemies) mostly seemed like tweaks as opposed to an overhaul.

My assumption is that the extensive development time is a function of a) the small main team and b) some work being completed by external partners that ran into trouble during the pandemic.

We also have to take into account the fact they may have announced the transition of Silksong from DLC to full game very early in development, which, if true, meant they still had almost 100% of the work left to do at that point.

probably means nothing but

I wonder how people discover this stuff. Anyway, I like the sound of these rumblings.

i think the reason the game has taken this long is that they just keep adding to it. for hollow knight, they had to get it out at some point, and then spent a long time creating new content for it. now because of HK's success they have the financial security and are not in a rush to get the game out before they think it's content complete. i also don't expect any post-launch DLC for it like HK got.

as for people not liking it, i doubt that'll be the case. while i'm sure the games will not play exactly the same, it'll still be a great metroidvania made by the people who made one of the best games of the genre. it's kinda hard to mess that up and disappoint people.

edit: not to mention, they have kept the team extremely small. any other dev would have expanded a lot after the success of the first game. we have to keep in mind that it's still 3 people making a game with a massive scope.
Maybe. Its still weird, since the base game, which was still most of HKs content, was done in a similar timeframe, with learning the engine, porting it, etc etc.
Either it did get excessively big (and many found HK already to big), or they had problems during development, either personal or in terms of making it all work together.
Based on the gameplay I'd seen, isn't the gameplay very similar to the last game? The changes (apart from the environments and enemies) mostly seemed like tweaks as opposed to an overhaul.

My assumption is that the extensive development time is a function of a) the small main team and b) some work being completed by external partners that ran into trouble during the pandemic.
Oh, for shure. But its more agressive in its design, less pogo it feels, and the items you use and how healing works has changed.
You know fanbases. It will be enough so that it "just doenst have the same flow" as the original.
Heck, seing how the last DLC demanded near perfection in its battle system people will be to acustomed to that, some will love the change, some will hate it.

Also the structure changed a bit, charms are exchanged, there are literal quests.

Maybe. Its still weird, since the base game, which was still most of HKs content, was done in a similar timeframe, with learning the engine, porting it, etc etc.
Either it did get excessively big (and many found HK already to big), or they had problems during development, either personal or in terms of making it all work together.

Oh, for shure. But its more agressive in its design, less pogo it feels, and the items you use and how healing works has changed.
You know fanbases. It will be enough so that it "just doenst have the same flow" as the original.
Heck, seing how the last DLC demanded near perfection in its battle system people will be to acustomed to that, some will love the change, some will hate it.

Also the structure changed a bit, charms are exchanged, there are literal quests.
Ahh I see. That's definitely the big challenge with a sequel, balancing the desire to refresh and keep the biggest strengths. Expectations for this game are probably irrationally high so I'm expecting a lot of complaints.

Ahh I see. That's definitely the big challenge with a sequel, balancing the desire to refresh and keep the biggest strengths. Expectations for this game are probably irrationally high so I'm expecting a lot of complaints.
And to be clear, im all in for changes. We had Hollow Knight, and it was an expansive game, there was not the moment where i was like "they did not explore the full pottential with the mechanics".... they did. Thats why its time to mix things up in Silksong... But also the more agressive and acrobatic playstyle of Hornet could make designing the world harder. Im curious.

The only mechanic that will bother me if changed or dropped is the whole mapping system. Hollow Knight made players work to map out the world, and I think the system worked in beautiful synergy with the game's openness and focus on exploration. It is one of the details that made it the greatest 2-D Metroidvania of all time.

However, the fact I have heard some complaints regarding that mapping system makes me worried Team Cherry might want to tweak it in some way. Tweaking is fine, but I hope that if they do alter it, the unique system of the first doesn't get replaced by the generic Metroidvania mapping mechanics.

But that is a silly concern overall. I think criticism about mapping came mostly from those who did not like the game, and I trust Team Cherry to deliver yet again on this front and all the others.

The only mechanic that will bother me if changed or dropped is the whole mapping system. Hollow Knight made players work to map out the world, and I think the system worked in beautiful synergy with the game's openness and focus on exploration. It is one of the details that made it the greatest 2-D Metroidvania of all time.

However, the fact I have heard some complaints regarding that mapping system makes me worried Team Cherry might want to tweak it in some way. Tweaking is fine, but I hope that if they do alter it, the unique system of the first doesn't get replaced by the generic Metroidvania mapping mechanics.
agreed 100%. i absolutely loved the map system, one of my favorite aspects of the game, but it's also something so many people complained about. i hope they don't change it.

Back
Top Bottom