• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Game Awards 2022 announced for December 8th (UPDATE: nominees announced, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for Stray in the other poll. Not sure why but the game gives me the impression for GOTY nomination.

Xenoblade 3 gets noms for soundtrack and GOTY, that's a win when we know it's going to be the God of War and Elden Ring show. Bit bemused Xenoblade 3 is pitted against Elden Ring in the RPG category mind.

Bayo 3 losing out to Stray and Plague Tale is interesting (I should really get around to checking out Stray actually).

i expected the obligatory indie spot to go to neon white but i guess it not being on playstation doesn't help.

Only halfway through Plague Tale 2, but surprised it got the nom. It's good, but not to the level of GotY contender imo. In a lot of ways I'm not enjoying it as much as the first.

I thought Tunic would get a nom, as the token "perfectly crafted and nostalgic indie". Even if I didn't like some of the puzzles in it, I still feel like it deserved it.

Xenoblade finally getting some TGA recognition! Also really happy to see Live A Live get a Best RPG nomination.

Stray feels really out of place on that list, even if you want a token indie game there are several this year that reviewed better or have had better word of mouth.

Stray feels really out of place on that list, even if you want a token indie game there are several this year that reviewed better or have had better word of mouth.
yeah like, it's not even in the top 10 best reviewed indie games of the year list. pretty embarrassing for it to take the indie spot in the goty list. oh well, as usual the keighley's have trash nominees, it's very hard to take the awards seriously when they pull shit like this all the time. i know he insists he has no role in the awards/nominations but it's hard to look at it that anything other than just more advertisement for certain companies.

Publishers prefer ambitious indies for these awards. Same thing happened last year, when Kena beat Death's Door for Indie of the Year despite being having a much lower review score.

Lmao the GoTY category sure is something, as is the re-use of those selections across many other categories

Pitting Neon White and Tunic against each other is the cruelest thing you could do to me. Also, is this the first time Pokemon's been nominated?

They really threw Xenoblade up there as a pity nomination for Nintendo, huh. Surprised at no Bayo.

I'm not complaining that it gets some recognition, good for Monolith Soft. But none of this really matters because the only REAL nominations are Elden Ring and GoW because this shit's transparent as they come

Let's not commit revisionist history and pretend Stray wasn't the critical, and the internet's, darling for a good month on release. Even if it was ultimately because it was "the cat game", it still happened. That has a ton of staying power.

just gonna say

Pokemon Legends Arceus absolutely got screwed by releasing in January.

Should have at least been nominated for best RPG

some day I will learn how to pay attention and today is not that day lmao

Stray is adorable, but mannnnnn when the game goes from exploring the city and jumping around to stealth sections, it goes straight from "fun as hell" to "terrible."

I don't think, other than Sifu (!!!) that any other indies or smaller-dev games were much better. As much as I loved Donut County, I disliked Neon White. Tunic is average. I loved Arcade Paradise, but no game that buggy should be anywhere near a GotY discussion other than my own personal GotY (where it will place in the top five).

XC3 being the one Nintendo game to get nominated is both predictable and predictably awful, but I guess they needed the obligatory traditional JRPG for that crowd. Kirby is never going to get the love that it should because it's Kirby.

just gonna say

Pokemon Legends Arceus absolutely got screwed by releasing in January.

Should have at least been nominated for best RPG.
It was. Nintendo cleaned up in that category, even if they're all gonna lose to Elden Ring.

Surprised Triangle Strategy ended up in there instead of, well, the Best Strategy category.

Kirby's only category was Best Family Game.

I feel like it will be between Kirby and Lego Star Wars

I am happy for Monolith Soft!

I am also pleased to see Tunic among the most-nominated titles. It was my favorite game this year.

Let's not commit revisionist history and pretend Stray wasn't the critical, and the internet's, darling for a good month on release. Even if it was ultimately because it was "the cat game", it still happened. That has a ton of staying power.
You mean straying power.

ok well if I can complain more about how games that I like weren’t nominated in enough places

Monster Hunter Rise should have been nominated for best ongoing game

They keep putting out new updates with new stuff to do! That game simply does not end and I love it

It was. Nintendo cleaned up in that category, even if they're all gonna lose to Elden Ring.

Surprised Triangle Strategy ended up in there instead of, well, the Best Strategy category.
I was going to say that's a total headscratcher lol.

Anyway there's always some janky decisions with these awards. I think the fact it's been a fairly weak year overall stands to make the jankiness even more apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom