• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

It's literally in-engine.

Panning shots of a rooftop party are not gameplay, this isn't a David Cage game, there was no UI, no button prompts, there was in-engine footage, some possibly representative of gameplay, but this was not a gameplay trailer.

Calling an in-engine trailer "gameplay" is out and out dishonest. Good thing Rockstar DIDN'T label it as a gameplay trailer, because it isn't one!
I have a feeling you're in for a huge surprise when the time comes... Two years later, unfortunately. lol

What? Building vehicles and advanced physics were a thing on Xbox 360, I grant PS2 is a stretch but we're definitely long past the point of diminishing returns for gameplay.

And proving otherwise? If you're referring to GTA6, That... Wasn't a gameplay trailer, it didn't exactly show gameplay? And what it did show was not exactly a mechanical jump over GTA IV, if that. The most advanced thing on display was hair physics. Pretty hair physics! But not gameplay defining.
No. You keep going with the GTA 4 comments. It won't make you right haha.

LMAO at GTA6 not releasing on PC day one.

The fucking what.

Dramatically reduces the potential for a day 1 Switch 2 version by signaling that Rockstar is very stupid still.

I mean it will come to PC like RDR2 and GTAV did but they know many will double dip so they will release it later Makes perfect sense for a business decision. Like they don't know how effective this strategy was for GTAV. LMAO

But yeah this ain't coming to Switch 2. I already said so a while back. GTAV is not on Switch and that's a 360/PS3 game from 2013. lol. Rockstar gives no shits.

I mean it will come to PC like RDR2 and GTAV did but they know many will double dip so they will release it later Makes perfect sense for a business decision. Like they don't know how effective this strategy was for GTAV. LMAO

But yeah this ain't coming to Switch 2. I already said so a while back. GTAV is not on Switch and that's a 360/PS3 game from 2013. lol. Rockstar gives no shits.
That would be for business reasons not technical reasons.

So we ignore the fact that the Switch got
L.A. Noire, GTA The Definitive Edition and Red Dead Redemption which sold pretty well?

Honestly if GTA 6 is coming to the Xbox Series S I could see it coming to the NG Switch.

So we ignore the fact that the Switch got
L.A. Noire, GTA The Definitive Edition and Red Dead Redemption which sold pretty well?

Honestly if GTA 6 is coming to the Xbox Series S I could see it coming to the NG Switch.

All ancient games that you listed. It's not comparable. Yeah, I can see a Switch 3 getting this game for sure in the distant future if you want to make the comparison make a little more sense.

All ancient games that you listed. It's not comparable. Yeah, I can see a Switch 3 getting this game for sure in the distant future if you want to make the comparison make a little more sense.
The Switch's CPU would have great difficulty handling GTA V online, which is basically where Rockstar makes most of its money, so yes, it was a technical reason.
If GTA VI is possible, it will be on Switch 2, probably not on Day 1, to explore double-dipping like on PC.

Last edited:
With the introduction of the Nintendo Switch Online Mission "Play Yoshi's Cookie", Nintendo marks a Nintendo Switch Online Mission with an expiry date in 2024, with 2024-01-09

Here's to the first mission of the launch year of Nintendo Switch PLUS Super Two DELUXE + Bowser's Fury SP!

I’m more concerned about the storage requirements of GTA 6 than it coming to the next switch haha.
All jokes aside, the trailer presents a high visual ambition, but it’s not representative of running on any console at the moment. I think the true treshold of to run or not to run, on switch 2 is after some gameplay on either console is observed. As of now it’s too early to tell and the switch survived with GTA not being on their platform.
On the other hand, the Series S is within the platform launches, I bet rockstar will be very interested to have it running on the next switch no matter how many cutbacks they’d have to make. It should be a lot more feasible v.s. what the switch was for GTA V.

Are you suggesting Switch isn't capable of playing games that were released on PS3/XBox360?

If so you're being intellectually dishonest to yourself.

Even undocked Switch outperforms PS3/XBox3. And GTA5 was released on PS3.

With the introduction of the Nintendo Switch Online Mission "Play Yoshi's Cookie", Nintendo marks a Nintendo Switch Online Mission with an expiry date in 2024, with 2024-01-09

Here's to the first mission of the launch year of Nintendo Switch PLUS Super Two DELUXE + Bowser's Fury SP!
Yoshi’s Cookie?

All ancient games that you listed.

If you say so.
GTA V is only like 2 years younger so it’s also „ancient“.

They could have ported over the PS3/Xbox 360 Version to the Switch but they stopped Updating it a long time ago and it doesn’t have a lot of content so they wouldn’t make any Cash and because the Switch was Hacked with those Mod Chips many people would have Modded their accounts so possibly another point they thought about.

Read again. You misunderstood.
I did. I was responding to your "ancient" comment that was in response to "So we ignore the fact that the Switch got L.A. Noire, GTA The Definitive Edition and Red Dead Redemption which sold pretty well?"

This stemmed from your "GTAV is not on Switch and that's a 360/PS3 game from 2013. lol" comment.

GTA on Switch 2 will be completely reliant on what rockstar does with the online stuff. Its very obvious that is why GTV never made it to switch. GTA Online is the moneymaker and Switch being on the move makes it so Online isn't a standard feature that can be used every moment.

That's not what I said at all...

I doubt Switch 2 will play PS5 games tho at anything other than potato quality.
as long as it's a reasonable potato DLSS should take care of the rest. i do think GTVI will come to Drake, maybe even day 1 as announcing for other platforms doesn't automatically deconfirm everything else.

This stemmed from your "GTAV is not on Switch and that's a 360/PS3 game from 2013. lol" comment.

The reason I said that was not because Switch would not be able to run it, it's because Rockstar has treated Nintendo hardware like an afterthought for decades, even if ports of much older games sell relatively well. They simply never cared enough to even port their most popular game on Switch (The second most popular home console in history). They could have whipped out a GTAV port in 2017 and it would have sold very well. But they didn't care. To them, Nintendo is a distant priority.

Expecting them to suddenly care and port GTAVI to Switch 2 seems wildly optimistic. Especially given that GTAVI is skipping last-gen systems at this point, due to what I imagine are technical reasons.

I could see an RDR2 remaster tho coming to the platform but I would be shocked if i saw this game appearing on the Switch 2 because it would be a first for the company.

Last edited:
Expecting them to suddenly care and port GTAVI to Switch 2 seems wildly optimistic. Especially given that GTAVI is skipping last-gen systems at this point, due to what I imagine are technical reasons.
Seems like they've announced GTA6 for XBox Series S. The rumored Switch 2 specs is supposedly able to punch in areas above what Series S is capable of.

As has been already pointed out, it depends on how CPU-intensive the game is. If the game's too CPU-hungry, Switch 2 might have some issues. Concessions might have to be made. I would imagine concessions might have to be made for Series S as well. Switch 2 will have more RAM than Series S has access to.

It uses a lot of energy for the amount of heat it can dissipate currently. Traditional cooling techniques, materials and designs are cheaper to do, well understood and cool off enough.

They need to improve the cooling capabilities while using less energy. Currently, they're a non-starter for most applications.

Currently they're rated to cool ~5W of heat at a cost of 1W with the AirJet, or ~10W of heat at a cost of 1.75W with the AirJet Pro. However, they apparently cause a degree of passive cooling with how they work and their ability to blast out more of the heat from the device overall, leading to the AirJet Pro being capable of cooling something like a 15W Steam Deck:

645919b51070a0048aa4f372-pdf-cooler-and-quieter-handheld-gaming-device-1.png

How does this compare to the power draw of mobile fan systems? I've never been able to get a straight answer on this.

And yes, fans are of course cheaper and still capable of cooling these devices. They're also bulkier and several times louder. But they'll absolutely be the norm for years to come. I hope to see solid-state cooling in the Switch 3, with exactly the sorts of improvements in cooling and energy efficiency you describe.

If GTA VI does not run at 1440-1080p at 60fps on PS5 and Series X, then I think we should assume that the chances of it being ported to Switch 2 are zero.
Switch 2 could probably get away with running 540p/30fps for handheld and 720p docked before DLSS and still be a solid port.

Chiming in with this Switch Mini/Micro talk, I don’t see a scenario where it exists. These damn handhelds can only get so small, and especially so given the form factor, screen resolution, battery size, and of course chip size.

I also don’t foresee another die shrink of the Tegra X1 either. If you ask me, the Switch Lite is already small enough, though I could almost see a scenario where they take the OLED screen of the SwOLED, and use that for a last minute revision. On the flip side, that negates the whole reason the Lite exists, which is casual gamers in a budget, which the Lite does pretty well. Not to mention the 7” probably wouldn’t even fit to begin with, and require a redesign of the handheld.

The only other possibility I see is them stuffing a revised 6.2” screen into the Lite with very thin bezels if it would even fit into the same footprint as the current 5.5”.

Well it had to run in handheld mode too and yeah, 500 MHz on the GPU and 1.6 GHz on the CPU sound pretty reasonable and give around 40% Series S power IIRC.

RAM bandwidth should also be around 40% of the Series S also.
those would be handheld figures. it's already been shown that power scaling is gonna stop pretty abruptly when you start going lower. this only makes sense if you think nintendo got taken for a ride with chip size and costs

The Switch 2 will be like 40% as powerful as the Series S at best.

I remember when you repeatedly insisted Switch 2 cannot do anything Series S can.

Then one day, out of blue, you seems surprised to learn Series S only have 10 GB RAM. You then stated you've never been more confident of Switch 2/Series S multiplatform games.

And now you want to confidently proclaim Switch 2 will only perform at 40% of what Series S can do.

Guessing it's a matter of time before the pendulum swings back yet again...

This thing isn't even out and people are saying it's going to run things badly, man alive.

Nintendo Switch runs Nier Automata.

Switch 2 will likely not struggle with GTA Another One.
Based on some of the things known about GTA6, the CPU is likely going to be the limiting factor. Best case scenario is this game ends up running 60FPS on Series S and thus might be able to run on Switch 2 at an unstable 30FPS.

Chiming in with this Switch Mini/Micro talk, I don’t see a scenario where it exists. These damn handhelds can only get so small, and especially so given the form factor, screen resolution, battery size, and of course chip size.

I also don’t foresee another die shrink of the Tegra X1 either. If you ask me, the Switch Lite is already small enough, though I could almost see a scenario where they take the OLED screen of the SwOLED, and use that for a last minute revision. On the flip side, that negates the whole reason the Lite exists, which is casual gamers in a budget, which the Lite does pretty well. Not to mention the 7” probably wouldn’t even fit to begin with, and require a redesign of the handheld.

The only other possibility I see is them stuffing a revised 6.2” screen into the Lite with very thin bezels if it would even fit into the same footprint as the current 5.5”.
What Lite needs is a Hall-Effect sticks and docked mode.
I don't think the Lite will have an OLED. It will be a laminated LCD at best.

The Switch 2 will be like 40% as powerful as the Series S at best.
I think it's hard to say given how little we've actually see of Ampere's FP32 + INT32/FP32 being under a closed environment. We've already seen how Ampere vs RDNA2 TFLOPs can compare based on Oldpuck's own findings, but how exactly will things fair when they only have to consider one system, & can explicitly design it to where INT instructions are lightly used on the second pathway? Personally, I'd expect the the Switch 2 to be able to punch well above its weight in certain aspects (See the Switch 2 likely having more RAM allocated than Series S to games, DLSS as a whole, & much more balanced cache subsystem in comparison compared to the rest of the consoles), but I have a hard time being able to confidently say docked could compete against the Series S.
At the very least, I'm confident in being able to say that Drake in Portable will more easily trade blows with/beat the Steam Deck than Drake in docked vs the Series S.

After watching that trailer, I do not think it's coming to Switch 2 at all.

Based on some of the things known about GTA6, the CPU is likely going to be the limiting factor. Best case scenario is this game ends up running 60FPS on Series S and thus might be able to run on Switch 2 at an unstable 30FPS.

I don't even think it will run at 60fps on Series X.

Series S confirmed bodes well for a Drake port right? there's nothing stopping that version being announced at a later date as there's loads of time before release.

We can only hope, I'm not holding my breath till we get an official word probably sometime next yr or 2025. Nintendo doesn't need GTA to succeed but I think it's healthy to want as many big games as possible on Switch 2. Nobody loses in these scenarios.

Last edited:
I remember when you repeatedly insisted Switch 2 cannot do anything Series S can.

Then one day, out of blue, you seems surprised to learn Series S only have 10 GB RAM. You then stated you've never been more confident of Switch 2/Series S multiplatform games.

And now you want to confidently proclaim Switch 2 will only perform at 40% of what Series S can do.

Guessing it's a matter of time before the pendulum swings back yet again...

I was joking more about how incredibly shit the Series S RAM bandwidth is but 102/224 is 45.5% while 1.5 teraflops in handheld mode would be 37.5% of the Series S (and these are the widely expected numbers in this thread). 1.6/3.4 is 47% though I don’t know the relative efficiency between the Series S and Switch 2 CPU.

All of these figures are basically what the thread expects?

40% of the Series S is very much good enough for most third party games, but it will not outdo the Series S at all…

Tekken 8, FF7R2, Call of Duty, etc can all easily run at 40% of the Series S.

Last edited:
Actually, it could be very hard to downgrade animation quality and have it still look good now that I think about it, lol.

Downgrading animation quality could be very financially expensive.

Ya it's weird (well not really) how comments & tweets keep pretending Series S doesn't exist to try to push their agenda & argument. I genuinely don't think many of the takes out there (and here) are done in good faith.

They want to push the "Nintendo can't get this hardcore game that the PS5 and Series X can handle" but like you said it fails when you out the Series S in the equation.

Ya it's weird (well not really) how comments & tweets keep pretending Series S doesn't exist to try to push their agenda & argument. I genuinely don't think many of the takes out there (and here) are done in good faith.

These are the people who say if Sony would make a new Handheld Console it will be on PS5 Level which is just absurd.
Unfortunately you can write as much as you want they won’t listen and trying to make everything else look bad.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom