• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

If the Switch 2 were coming out early next year, we would have a lot more leaks, and Nate would definitely know more. Nintendo could announce the Switch 2 in January, I guess but the earliest it would be released in May; I don't see Nintendo giving a two-month window between announcement and release.

I am just going to keep the expectation of March announcement and September release.
He seems pretty sure... And the tone sounds non-sensationalist for a change.

Who knows, would be a nice little surprise.

I agree with you, I just think it's interesting this person (seemingly someone with history) is saying early 2024. It's certainly not the most 'logical' thing, and most people here jumped the ship on Early 2024 a month ago.

Still think it's fun to entertain the possibility. I suppose "early" could also mean different things to different people. Could we see a January reveal and an April release? Maybe!
Early, in the context of a year, is such a pain in the ass word to define because it could mean anything between "January-April" or just "January".

I define it as the first third of the year, but a leaker could literally mean anything if they don't define it. I think a January reveal is likely, but even then there's good reason to doubt it. It's a goddamn mess overall.

I mean... a mobile leaker is probably speaking a bit less out of his own ass than other non-Nintendo leakers are, but I still wouldn't call it great.

I'm still in camp "If we're getting it H1 next year, either we're going to get something at TGA (unlikely due to track-record and Nintendo's mindset), January (very likely), or February (literally no idea)".

We barely got any legit reveal dates for the Switch 1 prior to it's reveal. Emily Rogers was the only real reason why we knew about it's October reveal trailer in the first place, and she only just knew about it on the day. I think "early" next year is out of the question at this point unless Nintendo bum-rushes into an April release, but I have my doubts.

That's what I'm saying.

He seems pretty sure... And the tone sounds non-sensationalist for a change.

Who knows, would be a nice little surprise.

Sure, but anyone could sound confident on Twitter.

For example.

Nintendo Switch 2 will be announced on March 21st, 2024 and release on September 6th, 2024 with a new 3D Mario that will be open-world with tons of secrets and things to do.

it's not going to be Q1 (would be announced & in mass-production already) so early would have to mean sometime in Q2 May-June ish. i'm shaky on whether even this is likely given the lack of leaks/rumbling lately but it's logistically possible.

also the account in question seems to post things related to Samsung...8nm? lol

Last edited:
That's what I'm saying.

Sure, but anyone could sound confident on Twitter.

For example.

Nintendo Switch 2 will be announced on March 21st, 2024 and release on September 6th, 2024 with a new 3D Mario that will be open-world with tons of secrets and things to do.
Yes absolutely.

Frankly I don't know what the probability of this being true is, I reckon it is low. But a few things make it worth to wait whether the insiders have something to say (if they deem it worth their time, if there is some truth to it they probably will) : i) this guy seems to have some history of non-bullshit, ii) he frames it as "I was just told" which makes it sound quite different from the more common "I ve been saying for some time" or "I speculate that" iii) he drops it very casually and does not make any other claim (probably knows that very few people know the full extent of what awaits us).

I like that some people still entertain the idea, gives a bit of hope and something to look forward to, because for now I m not sure I ll find some use to my nintendo switch next year.

500+ games now have RTX features, ReSTIR is coming to a game, so that will be good for further testing, and Call of Duty is getting path tracing support in lobbies

Semi-related, but I've been wondering how long it will take before a console game implements path tracing in photo mode. Many games treat photo modes as in-game bullshot generators, with the system taking a couple of seconds to put out an image with far higher IQ than you would normally get. Why not take it a step further and just go for full path tracing if you're taking a few seconds per frame?

Let's just say Switch 2 hits 3 Tflops in docked mode. If it takes 2 seconds to produce a frame for photo mode, that's 120 times as much performance per frame compared to producing a frame in 16.7ms for 60fps. That would be equivalent to a 360 Tflop GPU running at 60fps, or around 4x as powerful as the RTX 4090. You could get some pretty nice bullshots photo mode screenshots out of that!

Of course it would be a non-trivial amount of work to implement, and may result in lighting changes compared to the base game, particularly if the game doesn't have dynamic GI already, but I'd expect developers to try it at some point, particularly if they've already got a PC version with path tracing support.

Yes absolutely.

Frankly I don't know what the probability of this being true is, I reckon it is low. But a few things make it worth to wait whether the insiders have something to say (if they deem it worth their time, if there is some truth to it they probably will) : i) this guy seems to have some history of non-bullshit, ii) he frames it as "I was just told" which makes it sound quite different from the more common "I ve been saying for some time" or "I speculate that" iii) he drops it very casually and does not make any other claim (probably knows that very few people know the full extent of what awaits us).

I like that some people still entertain the idea, gives a bit of hope and something to look forward to, because for now I m not sure I ll find some use to my nintendo switch next year.
yup the way it's dropped very casually by a non-Nintendo related poster without wanting to draw attention makes it more interesting imo.

it's not like there's anything else to speculate on lately...

What about improvement to existing switch 1 games running on switch 2?
Nintendo Switch games that run at dynamic frame rates and/or dynamic resolutions will probably run at max frequency and/or max resolution on Nintendo's new console.

Other than that, patches are probably required.

Semi-related, but I've been wondering how long it will take before a console game implements path tracing in photo mode. Many games treat photo modes as in-game bullshot generators, with the system taking a couple of seconds to put out an image with far higher IQ than you would normally get. Why not take it a step further and just go for full path tracing if you're taking a few seconds per frame?

Let's just say Switch 2 hits 3 Tflops in docked mode. If it takes 2 seconds to produce a frame for photo mode, that's 120 times as much performance per frame compared to producing a frame in 16.7ms for 60fps. That would be equivalent to a 360 Tflop GPU running at 60fps, or around 4x as powerful as the RTX 4090. You could get some pretty nice bullshots photo mode screenshots out of that!

Of course it would be a non-trivial amount of work to implement, and may result in lighting changes compared to the base game, particularly if the game doesn't have dynamic GI already, but I'd expect developers to try it at some point, particularly if they've already got a PC version with path tracing support.
Was wondering the same thing, actually. I can see it happening with games that already use RT on consoles. Or at least bumping up the ray bounce count in photo mode. As a photo mode junkie, I say yes please.

My only question about it would be if players would be happy with waiting for a photo to process or for the photo mode to feel sluggish. To some, it would 100% be worth it but for others it may not be.

Sometimes discussion gets around to how important it is to have a system seller for launch, but it seems to me like an imaginary problem? They can't manage to go more than a few months without dropping something that sells 10+ million on Switch. Seems like it would take some eclipse-like rare bad timing for them to manage to hit a period without just when they want to sell new hardware.
I don't think it's an imaginary problem bc Nintendo doesn't have the same guarantee of quality 3rd party support like the other platforms. For example, the Series consoles still got a major Assassin's Creed game when Halo got delayed. Especially with casual audiences, there's no chance quite like the launch window to provide a compelling reason to jump in.

Ultimately, I think it's an open question of exactly how long after launch before there's a run of games like BOTW, MK8D, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey (is it a month, 2 months, or 4 months?). If ARMS was the biggest game at launch and BOTW was a month later, I'm not sure how different the results would've been. If BOTW/MK8D/Splatoon 2 didn't come out until the fall, then who knows what would've happened.

Do you think that Nintendo would have a non compete clause for T239, or would Nvidia try to put it into the mobile PC market in the same way that AMD have with the Z1 Extreme? Having a chip that can be made cheaper, smaller, and with Nvidia's feature set would give them a major foot in the door to that market. The only problems I forsee with that would be the aforementioned deal with Nintendo and dealing with ARM vs. x86 compatibility.
Nintendo will have near exclusivity with T239. the only chips they won't give a shit about are hella binned chips they have no use for. the R&D is on Nintendo's dime after all, so, for all intents and purposes, Nintendo "owns" the chips

Was wondering the same thing, actually. I can see it happening with games that already use RT on consoles. Or at least bumping up the ray bounce count in photo mode. As a photo mode junkie, I say yes please.

My only question about it would be if players would be happy with waiting for a photo to process or for the photo mode to feel sluggish. To some, it would 100% be worth it but for others it may not be.
that can be solved by shooting fewer rays and having less bounces. especially when you're already limited at 30/60fps. cutting frame rate to 15fps would allow for a good deal of quality improvement, and you don't have to worry about boiling since it's gonna be a still image

since this was a talking point in the past, x game now has Ray Reconstruction available to non-path traced RT reflections. so we could better test out how much RR cost compared to the normal denoisers

I'll listen ofc, but I can't say I'm holding my breath for bombshells. Like Nate said, it'll probably be strictly speculative. Necro's comment could just as easily be he's the guest this episode

If the Switch 2 were coming out early next year, we would have a lot more leaks, and Nate would definitely know more. Nintendo could announce the Switch 2 in January, I guess but the earliest it would be released in May; I don't see Nintendo giving a two-month window between announcement and release.

I am just going to keep the expectation of March announcement and September release.
Not necessarily. Hardware these days has faster and shorter marketing cycles. Look at Apple.

I can totally see a January reveal and March/April release.

it's no 👀 tho
Poor Lipe even said that not everything he does or post is a hint at something. Yet...

I mean, it's on the name. Switch + Switch = Switch 2.
2 Consoles duct-taped confirmed. And with that, we can now confirm it's using dual Tegra X1:
Nvidia-Tegra-X1-7.jpg

If it's Nintendo hardware-related, then we already know what it is:
The Game Awards are this week. We'll give our predictions and such for that today. In a week with TGA and GTA trailer... discussing any Switch 2 matter that is speculation/exploratory would be a fool's errand. GTA discussion will overshadow virtually everything this week. And by the time GTA discussion begins to fade, fools with start the "Direct THIS Month?!?!" cycle on January 1st.

It's just a commenter asking if Nintendo could release the Switch 2 as a Switch 2 TV and Switch 2 Lite and DF said hell no lol.

Sure, Nintendo could do that, but would the TV be $300 and the handheld be $250? That would mean if you wanted it together, it would be $550 plus tax.

Anyway, it's not going to happen, and it doesn't make any sense. People would also say that the Switch 2 Lite is holding back the Switch 2 TV and that the Switch 2 TV should be more powerful than the PS5 and XSX because it's not a portable, etc, etc. Just a bad idea altogether.

The Game Awards are this week. We'll give our predictions and such for that today. In a week with TGA and GTA trailer... discussing any Switch 2 matter that is speculation/exploratory would be a fool's errand. GTA discussion will overshadow virtually everything this week. And by the time GTA discussion begins to fade, fools with start the "Direct THIS Month?!?!" cycle on January 1st.
Nate confirms TGA and GTA for Switch 2 — Random Youtuber

I don't think it's an imaginary problem bc Nintendo doesn't have the same guarantee of quality 3rd party support like the other platforms.
I don't think "needing big games" is an imaginary problem. I think "Nintendo might not have big enough games" is an imaginary problem when throughout Switch's existence Nintendo/Pokémon has been dropping ~3 games a year that ended up at 10+ million copies sold, with only 2021 missing a 20+ million game. 2024 and 2025 are probably going to have a similar amount of games of that caliber, and they're probably not going to be Mario vs Donkey Kong remake or Another Code Recollection.

Nintendo has a patent for a magnetic cover for a handheld, which is what this is based on, but Nintendo doesn't tend to publish patents they intend to use anytime soon.
Found the timing a bit odd. And the guy's sketchy background.

This is the controller/video I'm talking about btw.

I don't think "needing big games" is an imaginary problem. I think "Nintendo might not have big enough games" is an imaginary problem when throughout Switch's existence Nintendo/Pokémon has been dropping ~3 games a year that ended up at 10+ million copies sold, with only 2021 missing a 20+ million game. 2024 and 2025 are probably going to have a similar amount of games of that caliber, and they're probably not going to be Mario vs Donkey Kong remake or Another Code Recollection.
Ah, that's definitely a different point than I believed I was responding to. You're right though, they've had a major titles every single year of the Switch. Based on that trend, it's reasonable to expect at least one (or more) massive franchise having an entry in the launch year.

It's understandable from a home console pov, which is what they're basing this on. Definitely not a portable pov.
judging these things from "console perspectives" don't make any sense because handhelds are in a constant fail state. To that end, these posters aren't speaking in good faith

horsepower is nice, but at the end of the day there are a lot of considerations... and really videogames are the most important... we've had enough power for a while

there are some that are chomping at the bit for ps5 pro because the ps5 is 'lackluster'

it's an endless cycle of almost being happy (aka the human condition)

horsepower is nice, but at the end of the day there are a lot of considerations... and really videogames are the most important... we've had enough power for a while

there are some that are chomping at the bit for ps5 pro because the ps5 is 'lackluster'

it's an endless cycle of almost being happy (aka the human condition)

Switch was not “enough power.” I’d hesitate to say that Switch (1) owners wanting for a much better Switch 2 is the same as PS5 owners wanting a Pro.

PS4 Pro is when it started to feel like enough power for me. The impression at launch for current generation consoles was pretty subdued because end of PS4 era titles looked excellent. I could probably sit at PS5/XSX era looking titles for a very long time so long as the resolution holds up.

Nate is absolutely right in terms of news coverage GTA6 is about to dominate for a while. Now someone could release something trying to keep it lowkey under all the hype of GTA6 but it's more likely it will be pretty quiet.

Has anyone been discussing whether or not folks expect a camera in the next device?

Every single Nintendo handheld since the Gameboy, save for the Switch, has had some sort of camera peripheral built in. Even the Wii U Gamepad had one!

I'm very curious what sort of quality and usefulness a built-in front/back camera could provide for a supposed Switch 2.

Or do we all think Nintendo has moved past that sort of gimmick?

Switch was not “enough power.” I’d hesitate to say that Switch (1) owners wanting for a much better Switch 2 is the same as PS5 owners wanting a Pro.

PS4 Pro is when it started to feel like enough power for me. The impression at launch for current generation consoles was pretty subdued because end of PS4 era titles looked excellent. I could probably sit at PS5/XSX era looking titles for a very long time so long as the resolution holds up.

I agree from a visual standpoint PS4 is pretty good. From a gameplay standpoint we've been good for a long time. Since PS2/Xbox/GC imho.

judging these things from "console perspectives" don't make any sense because handhelds are in a constant fail state. To that end, these posters aren't speaking in good faith
Maybe some of them, but I believe others still want/hope Nintendo release a powerful Nextgen home system and are disappointed to read they aren't.

I agree from a visual standpoint PS4 is pretty good. From a gameplay standpoint we've been good for a long time. Since PS2/Xbox/GC imho.

You don’t think any meaningful gameplay advancements have come about since PS2? Not sure what else you could mean by this.

Tears of the Kingdom is an example of a game that barely squeaks by with the horsepower of the Switch. Nintendo can and will do so much more with more power at their disposal.

Has anyone been discussing whether or not folks expect a camera in the next device?

Every single Nintendo handheld since the Gameboy, save for the Switch, has had some sort of camera peripheral built in. Even the Wii U Gamepad had one!

I'm very curious what sort of quality and usefulness a built-in front/back camera could provide for a supposed Switch 2.

Or do we all think Nintendo has moved past that sort of gimmick?
The only Nintendo handheld with a build in camera from the getgo was 3DS. DS had a camera peripheral and the DSi was a mid gen upgrade, Game Boy Advance and original had cameras as accessories that replaced the Game Pak (cartridge).

Nintendo Switch came with an IR Motion camera built into the Joy-Con (R).

A full colour camera on the system? I doubt it, where TV mode exists. An improved IR Motion camera, or one on each controller? I could see that.

AirJet are just a meme currently. They're not worth. But they do have some significant investment muscle behind them, so perhaps in the future we'll a good product from them.

What makes you say that? From all over seem their tech has been thoroughly demonstrated to work and is already in a product, the Zotac PI430AJ:

Apparently this device used to be passively cooled and had to stick with a Celeron, but with the AirJets they were able to upgrade to a Core i3. It's early days, but there is a future here.

Early, in the context of a year, is such a pain in the ass word to define because it could mean anything between "January-April" or just "January".

I define it as the first third of the year, but a leaker could literally mean anything if they don't define it. I think a January reveal is likely, but even then there's good reason to doubt it. It's a goddamn mess overall.

It could even mean May, if the definition of "early" is being stretched to its limits.

Yeah that make sense comparing a console that consumes 15w with other one consumes over 200w, don't forget raytracing man.
It’s like judging a motorcycle’s horsepower against a muscle car. They’re different things, maaaaaan.

What makes you say that? From all over seem their tech has been thoroughly demonstrated to work and is already in a product, the Zotac PI430AJ:

Apparently this device used to be passively cooled and had to stick with a Celeron, but with the AirJets they were able to upgrade to a Core i3. It's early days, but there is a future here.
It uses a lot of energy for the amount of heat it can dissipate currently. Traditional cooling techniques, materials and designs are cheaper to do, well understood and cool off enough.

They need to improve the cooling capabilities while using less energy. Currently, they're a non-starter for most applications.

GTAVI Trailer has leaked, and there are so many people disappointed that it's coming in 2025. Even Rockstar can't escape the negativity lol.
Trailer looks amazing, sad that it's blurry. Can't quite make out the 'Coming exclusively to Switch 2' text at the end. Maybe when Rockstar upload it in 4k... /s

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom