• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Trailer looks amazing, sad that it's blurry. Can't quite make out the 'Coming exclusively to Switch 2' text at the end. Maybe when Rockstar upload it in 4k... /s
I did see the "Coming exclusively to Switch 2" text!*

* - (I had to squint my eyes after eating some magical mushrooms)

I guess the lack of platforms will fuel more speculation, but I disagree with that claim earlier from Kit and Krysta that the possibility existed for it to be confirmed for Nintendo's new hardware. About the only way that could happen was a Nintendo company logo at the end of the trailer. Then, of course everyone would ask what it meant, so the Rockstar and Nintendo PR would have to go one of two ways: either just say it was coming to "Nintendo platforms" in the future and refuse to elaborate, or admit that it would come to specific if unannounced Nintendo hardware. The former is not something Nintendo would accept, since it could be construed as misleading people into thinking GTA VI might come to Switch. And the latter is basically announcing the console, and if Nintendo was okay with doing that, they would have mentioned it first -- even in the form of the otherwise vanishingly unlikely "press release announcement" -- sometime this year.

The only Nintendo handheld with a build in camera from the getgo was 3DS. DS had a camera peripheral and the DSi was a mid gen upgrade, Game Boy Advance and original had cameras as accessories that replaced the Game Pak (cartridge).

Nintendo Switch came with an IR Motion camera built into the Joy-Con (R).

A full colour camera on the system? I doubt it, where TV mode exists. An improved IR Motion camera, or one on each controller? I could see that.
Okay, I knew I should have fixed my phrasing because I figured someone would call me out.

I guess I meant that every one of their handhelds has featured a camera peripheral at some point, be it built in or not. Gameboy Camera, DSi, 3DS, Wii U Gamepad....literally a full streak of camera inclusion until suddenly none (not counting the IR camera because that's not the type of camera I'm discussing) on the Switch.

Just seems to me that a Switch sequel could make use of one again, especially if Nintendo becomes more comfortable creating experiences exclusively for handheld mode. I would absolutely love if Switch 2 borrowed just a touch of the 3DS's charm and customizability. AR games, playcoins, StreetPass, themes, etc.

I know lots of folks have voiced these thoughts before, I just haven't really seen much discussion around what fun game opportunities a camera could bring. I'm of the mind that the new device might not actually need to be docked all of the time to work with a TV, which could then make a hypothetical camera available during TV mode.

Gameboy Camera, DSi, 3DS, Wii U Gamepad
What... That's... Not clean? GBA didn't have a first party one, DSi was a revision, Wii U was a home console.

I don't think they really desire "handheld only" experiences at all. Maybe! But wouldn't cameras on the controllers be better, so they could work even in TV mode? As I said, Switch already has one.

You don’t think any meaningful gameplay advancements have come about since PS2? Not sure what else you could mean by this.

Tears of the Kingdom is an example of a game that barely squeaks by with the horsepower of the Switch. Nintendo can and will do so much more with more power at their disposal.

For the most part, I do. I think a lot of things could be done, or faked to approximate very similar gameplay.

TotK is impressive for sure, but the building stuff didn't need to be all physics based, and we saw time rewinded in sands of time.

The thing that would be tough is the really fast load times to stream the world while falling, but that's not gameplay, and really you could cut the world into levels. They did just that on the gamecube.

Actual gameplay is what happens in the area immediately around your character. Swinging swords, shooting weapons, bumping into other cars, etc. I think most anything that's been done could be approximated on that generation of hardware.

Most advances have been graphics.

What... That's... Not clean? GBA didn't have a first party one, DSi was a revision, Wii U was a home console.

I don't think they really desire "handheld only" experiences at all. Maybe! But wouldn't cameras on the controllers be better, so they could work even in TV mode? As I said, Switch already has one.
Gameboy camera worked on GBA.

Every generation of handheld had some form of camera. Sheesh. And yeah, I do think a camera in the new Pro Controller could be possible. How cool would that be?

I did see the "Coming exclusively to Switch 2" text!*

* - (I had to squint my eyes after eating some magical mushrooms)
it seen quite obvious to me, GTA VI will release on PS5, Xbox series X/S e PC, maybe if we lucky we got a port or cloud version later for Nintendo next hardware

I firmly believe if you gave the game to one of Nintendo's internal studios they would effectively downport the game to Switch 2 in a playable and enjoyable state

I just don't see Rockstar doing that however, it would take way too much manpower and resources which they seem to be using to get this game across the finish line right now.
most ports are usually done by external studios anyway. but I'm still not seeing anything that's so out of the range of scalability

most ports are usually done by external studios anyway. but I'm still not seeing anything that's so out of the range of scalability
I of course am a jaded Nintendo fanboy but I don't see anything that's out of the realm of possibility either, at least not based on that trailer footage alone.

Out of the realm of possibility for Switch 1 yes, but not out of the realm of possibility for Switch 2, particularly if Switch 2 in theory is supposedly at least 6x more powerful than Switch 1.

LMAO at GTA6 not releasing on PC day one.

The fucking what.

Dramatically reduces the potential for a day 1 Switch 2 version by signaling that Rockstar is very stupid still.
Where was it mentioned it's not releasing on PC day 1? As far as I can tell the trailer doesn't make any mentions of platforms, so I guess it was mentioned elsewhere?

They didn't even confirm any platform, or did miss anything?

Where was it mentioned it's not releasing on PC day 1? As far as I can tell the trailer doesn't make any mentions of platforms, so I guess it was mentioned elsewhere?

it's genuinely idiotic. They want to be "quirky" like Atlus

I don't believe what's been said precludes a Switch 2 release at all. It's not exactly unusual that they won't announce a platform that

Isn't announced.

As you know a lot will depend on if Rockstar are only targeting 30fps on PS5 and Series X/S. The game having 60fps modes would bode very well for Drake but if they’re targeting 30 it would be far more challenging but still doable.

I don’t see it coming to Drake at all personally at least not for years. This is the studio that still make PC wait a year or two so they don’t give a shit about being on anything else especially not a brand new device which will have close to a zero install base and primarily appeal to core Nintendo fans, families and casuals for it’s first year. Then there’s the stumbling block of Nintendo’s awful online infrastructure, console drive size and game card size / cost issues.

I personally expect farmed out GTA V or RDR2 ports for Drake and even then some of the above issues remain.

what's your definition of later. RDR2 PC was a year later.
That's still the definition of "later".. ? I don't mean to be snarky, but if you were hoping it's going to be substantially less than a year, I don't see why they would bother not launching PC version among the other console versions.

That's still the definition of "later".. ? I don't mean to be snarky, but if you were hoping it's going to be substantially less than a year, I don't see why they would bother not launching PC version among the other console versions.
no shit. there's a soon later and a later later

i'm not hoping for shit neither. I'm gladly buying the console version of this. I'm not those people who cry about PC missing games when it gets 99% of everything anyway. those PC people can wait

no shit. there's a soon later and a later later

i'm not hoping for shit neither. I'm gladly buying the console version of this. I'm not those people who cry about PC missing games when it gets 99% of everything anyway. those PC people can wait
Ah alright lol. Yeah I had the polarity wrong when I read your comment initially ;)

You don’t think any meaningful gameplay advancements have come about since PS2? Not sure what else you could mean by this.

Tears of the Kingdom is an example of a game that barely squeaks by with the horsepower of the Switch. Nintendo can and will do so much more with more power at their disposal.
How is someone even able to say this when we just got the biggest proof in trailer form proving otherwise...? We're not reaching diminishing returns, let alone stressing all the possibilities gameplay wise. Come on.

primarily appeal to core Nintendo fans, families casuals
that's GTA's base as well, lol

whatever reason GTA6 won't hit Drake (I still think it's coming), I don't think it's technical reasons still. gpu tasks are scalable and Drake is looking less memory constrained than Series S. CPU is probably not a bottleneck but wait and see (not that it has stopped other companies)

What if the Switch 2 isn't called a Switch and is actually closer to a Steam Deck LCD form factor?

What if it comes with a dock that has a simple built-in UI and internet connectivity such that both the new device and OG Switches could connect to it? It would be both the next generation and an expansion of the OG Switch line. Makes the transition "between" generations a thing of the past, exactly like Nintendo has been telling us to expect, while keeping the OG Switch alive for a few more years to come as the entry point.

It would also be an easier sell for folks invested in joy-con peripherals because that entire ecosystem would fold right into the new device the same way Wii-motes worked for Wii U.

How is someone even able to say this when we just got the biggest proof in trailer form proving otherwise...? We're not reaching diminishing returns, let alone stressing all the possibilities gameplay wise. Come on.

What? Building vehicles and advanced physics were a thing on Xbox 360, I grant PS2 is a stretch but we're definitely long past the point of diminishing returns for gameplay.

And proving otherwise? If you're referring to GTA6, That... Wasn't a gameplay trailer, it didn't exactly show gameplay? And what it did show was not exactly a mechanical jump over GTA IV, if that. The most advanced thing on display was hair physics. Pretty hair physics! But not gameplay defining.

Series S confirmed bodes well for a Drake port right? there's nothing stopping that version being announced at a later date as there's loads of time before release.
Depends on how CPU intensive the game is. I suspect it's going to be the kind of game that will make it to Drake but run pretty badly due to CPU limitations of Drake.

Depends on how CPU intensive the game is. I suspect it's going to be the kind of game that will make it to Drake but run pretty badly due to CPU limitations of Drake.
This thing isn't even out and people are saying it's going to run things badly, man alive.

Nintendo Switch runs Nier Automata.

Switch 2 will likely not struggle with GTA Another One.

For misgendering another user and completely disregarding her expressed discomfort about it, you are banned for a week. – MissingNo., Party Sklar, Tangerine_Cookie, VolcanicDynamo
What? Building vehicles and advanced physics were a thing on Xbox 360, I grant PS2 is a stretch but we're definitely long past the point of diminishing returns for gameplay.

And proving otherwise? If you're referring to GTA6, That... Wasn't a gameplay trailer, it didn't exactly show gameplay? And what it did show was not exactly a mechanical jump over GTA IV, if that. The most advanced thing on display was hair physics. Pretty hair physics! But not gameplay defining.
That was gameplay, all Rockstar trailers show off gameplay my guy.

Series S confirmed bodes well for a Drake port right? there's nothing stopping that version being announced at a later date as there's loads of time before release.

Heavily depends on how well the Series S version runs.

If this is 480p, 24 FPS after significant removal of NPC density and animation smoothness, no.

If the Series S version can hit 720p, 30 FPS without any NPC or density compromises, then yes.

With the introduction of the Nintendo Switch Online Mission "Play Yoshi's Cookie", Nintendo marks a Nintendo Switch Online Mission with an expiry date in 2024, with 2024-01-09

Here's to the first mission of the launch year of Nintendo Switch PLUS Super Two DELUXE + Bowser's Fury SP!

they show in-engine content. probably cutscenes, which can be higher quality than gameplay
Not quite, Rockstar games have cutscenes but they don't rely on better assets historically, look at RDR2 and GTA V. It's the same ones with marginally better LODs, that's how the game is absolutely gonna look whether you believe it or not.

Hm, if you think that's in-engine.
It's literally in-engine.

Panning shots of a rooftop party are not gameplay, this isn't a David Cage game, there was no UI, no button prompts, there was in-engine footage, some possibly representative of gameplay, but this was not a gameplay trailer.

Calling an in-engine trailer "gameplay" is out and out dishonest. Good thing Rockstar DIDN'T label it as a gameplay trailer, because it isn't one!

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom