• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

These are the people who say if Sony would make a new Handheld Console it will be on PS5 Level which is just absurd.
Unfortunately you can write as much as you want they won’t listen and trying to make everything else look bad.
Sony fanboys: "If Sony would create another handheld, they'd destroy Nintendo!"
Actual Sony: "11-year-late $200 Wii U ripoff that unlike the Wii U can't even be used without a good WiFi connection. Take it or leave it."

Ya it's weird (well not really) how comments & tweets keep pretending Series S doesn't exist to try to push their agenda & argument. I genuinely don't think many of the takes out there (and here) are done in good faith.
I can still hear the faint echoes of people who claimed the Switch was DoA.

Ya it's weird (well not really) how comments & tweets keep pretending Series S doesn't exist to try to push their agenda & argument. I genuinely don't think many of the takes out there (and here) are done in good faith.
i mean the Series S is the cheaper version of the Series X, and there has been already people saying Series S is holding back the new gen so idk what you mean they pretend like Series S doesnt exist

i mean the Series S is the cheaper version of the Series X, and there has been already people saying Series S is holding back the new gen so idk what you mean they pretend like Series S doesnt exist
The tweet I shared was a perfect example. No mention of Series S at all. Could've just typed 2 more character.. `Xbox Series X | S" (append | S at the end).

But nah, conveniently leave it out because it tries to push a certain narrative.

Honestly, I would like to see a gamepad like this in Consoles.

It makes certain games possible to play like MOBAs due to the immense amount of touch controls and aiming to play that game. Also benefits FPS games on controllers.

Currently they're rated to cool ~5W of heat at a cost of 1W with the AirJet, or ~10W of heat at a cost of 1.75W with the AirJet Pro. However, they apparently cause a degree of passive cooling with how they work and their ability to blast out more of the heat from the device overall, leading to the AirJet Pro being capable of cooling something like a 15W Steam Deck:

645919b51070a0048aa4f372-pdf-cooler-and-quieter-handheld-gaming-device-1.png

How does this compare to the power draw of mobile fan systems? I've never been able to get a straight answer on this.

And yes, fans are of course cheaper and still capable of cooling these devices. They're also bulkier and several times louder. But they'll absolutely be the norm for years to come. I hope to see solid-state cooling in the Switch 3, with exactly the sorts of improvements in cooling and energy efficiency you describe.
I have suggested this before but I think people here think this tech is not yet primed for mass consumption. It's too expensive to be on a mass market device.

It depends on if Rockstar is willing to compromise animation quality and NPC and object density as those are probably what will eat up the most of the CPU.

I would guess not as they’re weird but maybe.

To be fair, GTAVI's CPU-bound functions primarily need to demonstrate a notable jump over GTAV, which was built for 30fps on PS360 (and 30fps on PS4/X1 if you include some GTA Online content). Even if GTAVI was designed with a base of 60fps on Switch 2, I'm pretty sure that would still make for a leap over V.

I just want to say

A switch 2 is not a series s

I just don’t think a game being on another platform and how it performs there has much bearing on if it would make it on another platform with completely different dev environments.

I mean I understand the comparisons and estimates.. but we’re comparing an unreleased version of an unreleased game to an unreleased version of an unreleased game on an unreleased and unannounced piece of hardware haha

It doesn’t get more theoretical than that

The tweet I shared was a perfect example. No mention of Series S at all. Could've just typed 2 more character.. `Xbox Series X | S" (append | S at the end).

But nah, conveniently leave it out because it tries to push a certain narrative.
i dont understand the narrative, we dont even know if this game is coming to the new switch, even if does most likely it will have some compromise, not as big as the current switch but most likely will have some, so a tweet that can be taken with a laugh because is funny imagine how this game will run on a handheld is being view as it will have some kind of impact in how people see this new system

I have suggested this before but I think people here think this tech is not yet primed for mass consumption. It's too expensive to be on a mass market device.

Not yet, that's for sure. Frore Systems needs to get bigger and AirJet needs to advance to better process nodes and be made in larger quantities to bring prices down, but I would like to see it get big eventually. Maybe in the next 5 years?

To be fair, GTAVI's CPU-bound functions primarily need to demonstrate a notable jump over GTAV, which was built for 30fps on PS360 (and 30fps on PS4/X1 if you include some GTA Online content). Even if GTAVI was designed with a base of 60fps on Switch 2, I'm pretty sure that would still make for a leap over V.

...... Except Rockstar isn't just aiming for "better fidelity than GTA5" as they demonstrated in the trailer?

Yes, if GTA6 was aiming for 60 FPS on the Switch 2, it would be still a big leap over GTA5.

But it's probably aiming for 20-30 FPS on the PS5 instead.

Redoing animations to preserve some level of quality while reducing the CPU burden is probably really financially expensive is all I'm saying.

Quoted by: MP!
I'll wait to see how the strong the system is and how the game actually plays before deciding if the Switch 2 will apparently melt like the nazis opening the ark in Raiders :cautious:

GTA6 looks really impressive but we don't know anything about the Switch 2's final clocks and we have no idea how GTA6 will run on any of the systems it is confirmed for. So assuming a port is impossible makes little sense. And I mean, yall have seen some of the porting jobs that the Switch has managed from PS4/Xbox One games. If the platform falls in the range of a 1.5 Ghz CPU clock and even just standard Switch GPu clocks I still don't see how we would totally disregard ports from current gen. The platform should be in a better position than the Switch was.

What do you mean?

Redo them to be more efficient?

I mean cut the level of complexity of animations... That could be really hard to do and still look good, lol.

Mortal Kombat 1 tried this on Switch but didn't actually redo the animations (just did cuts) and it uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it didn't look very good.

Last edited:
Quoted by: MP!
Not yet, that's for sure. Frore Systems needs to get bigger and AirJet needs to advance to better process nodes and be made in larger quantities to bring prices down, but I would like to see it get big eventually. Maybe in the next 5 years?
Probably will replace fans in the near future. I can see Apple use this then the whole industry follows. Someone as big as Apple should start using it in order for the mass market to become viable.

We are definitely in diminishing returns when it comes to visuals because I actually wasn't that impressed by the GTA VI trailer.
Hopefully gameplay can showcase something unique and groundbreaking, but other than that most open world games just seem like more of the same thing...

Probably will replace fans in the near future. I can see Apple use this then the whole industry follows. Someone as big as Apple should start using it in order for the mass market to become viable.

Replacing fans is a far-future thing, I think. Right now they're looking to take low-power thin/light devices that have no room for any active cooling at all and provide a form of it. Then we could see medium-power laptops using 4 AirJet Pros instead of a fan system, so you could have a light gaming laptop with some 40W SoC like the Z1 Extreme or a Ryzen 7840HS with the size and weight of a MacBook Air.

But outright replacing fans in a broad sense? I don't think we'll see that for a long time, not when stuff like the 4090 exists. Maybe if the process node improvements are REALLY effective and the AirJet Pro goes from removing 10W to removing 40W, but even then, future top-end graphics cards would need like 10 of them (unless they were specifically undervolted and underclocked models prioritising small size and low noise). I could see graphics cards using a mix of fans and AirJets in a few years, though. Make it so the fans don't need to kick in until you start gaming, with silent browsing modes.

I do think GTA VI is feasible on NG Switch, it just depend whether R* think it's worth the time and money needed for such port to happen.
Honestly do you guy thinks Nintendo give a cent about 3rd party support on the NG Switch? Yes there are a lot of 3rd party support on the Switch, and the Switch is the best Nintendo console to have 3rd party support in years, but what the Switch have shown is that people buy Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles, not 3rd party stuff, let alone triple A 3rd party games. I remember a slide somewhere shows over 80% of software revenue on Switch is from 1st party games, and in terms of profit the percentage might even bigger.

I do think GTA VI is feasible on NG Switch, it just depend whether R* think it's worth the time and money needed for such port to happen.
Honestly do you guy thinks Nintendo give a cent about 3rd party support on the NG Switch? Yes there are a lot of 3rd party support on the Switch, and the Switch is the best Nintendo console to have 3rd party support in years, but what the Switch have shown is that people buy Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles, not 3rd party stuff, let alone triple A 3rd party games. I remember a slide somewhere shows over 80% of software revenue on Switch is from 1st party games, and in terms of profit the percentage might even bigger.

?

That's not true at all. Third party games have sold very well on the Switch. In fact the Switch has the best third party support on a Nintendo system since the NES and SNES days.

Nintendo and (shocking Nintendo fans) care about third party support and I personally would buy GTAVI on Switch 2 to help support third party games on the system.

Even Kit and Krysta said Nintendo will chase Rockstar.

This narrative that people don't buy third party games on Nintendo systems needs to end.

The N64 lost support because of cartridges
The GameCube lost support because of the small disk space
The Wii actually got third party support. In fact the Wii version of COD was one of the best selling versions.
The Wii U was the Wii U but at launch it got tons of third party support.

Switch 2 (architecture advancements and all should be more capable than a gtx 1060) which is still many games recommended low specs since it was such a popular card. Question is when will developers start to leave those gamers behind to adopt a new baseline?
It seems as though as long as Switch 2 has CPU core parity and similar RAM amounts for gaming, scaling software to run on it shouldn't be that big of a problem In the end...

I'm not shedding tears on behalf of multi billion dollar corporations, but sometimes I think people should consider that people have been working hard for months for these things before they push the button. It's not like they're getting fame either, theyre anonymous.

I'm not shedding tears on behalf of multi billion dollar corporations, but sometimes I think people should consider that people have been working hard for months for these things before they push the button. It's not like they're getting fame either, theyre anonymous.

And targeted now since his account got banned.

Switch 2 (architecture advancements and all should be more capable than a gtx 1060) which is still many games recommended low specs since it was such a popular card. Question is when will developers start to leave those gamers behind to adopt a new baseline?
It seems as though as long as Switch 2 has CPU core parity and similar RAM amounts for gaming, scaling software to run on it shouldn't be that big of a problem In the end...
From the leaked specs it seems NG Switch hardware is explicitly design so it can handle current gen software without major hurdle (8 modern and quite performant CPU cores, a modern GPU arch with support for all major rendering techniques, hardware decompression, etc,...)
Thus I have high hopes that the system has even more 3rd party stuff compared to the Switch.

To be fair, there isn‘t that a big gap between third party sales on Switch compared to PS and Xbox. For comparison the best selling third party on PS4 is the Witcher 3 with 10 millions and for Switch Monster Hunter Rise with 8 millions.

?

That's not true at all. Third party games have sold very well on the Switch. In fact the Switch has the best third party support on a Nintendo system since the NES and SNES days.

Nintendo and (shocking Nintendo fans) care about third party support and I personally would buy GTAVI on Switch 2 to help support third party games on the system.

This narrative that people don't buy third party games on Nintendo systems needs to end.

The Wii actually got third party support. In fact the Wii version of COD was one of the best selling versions.
Obviously 3rd party games sold a good amount on the Switch, especially when you compared it to other Nintendo systems in the past. But the point I want to illustrate here is Nintendo games is still the star of their system, and 3rd parties are all but added benefits, and their system still miss out major third party games (not the game with thoundsands of empty planets) either due to technical reasons or business/market decisions.
I own a Switch OLED and I purchased quite a lot of third party games in addition to Nintendo games, and I quite enjoy them. I just wish there's more.
The leaked (or rumour) Switch 2 Tegra SoC specs seems to be designed to handle ports of current gens game more easily compared to Switch ports of PS4/XboxOne games, so I feel even more confident about Switch 2 third party support compared to Switch

Obviously 3rd party games sold a good amount on the Switch, especially when you compared it to other Nintendo systems in the past. But the point I want to illustrate here is Nintendo games is still the star of their system, and 3rd parties are all but added benefits, and their system still miss out major third party games (not the game with thoundsands of empty planets) either due to technical reasons or business/market decisions.
I own a Switch OLED and I purchased quite a lot of third party games in addition to Nintendo games, and I quite enjoy them. I just wish there's more.
The leaked (or rumour) Switch 2 Tegra SoC specs seems to be designed to handle ports of current gens game more easily compared to Switch ports of PS4/XboxOne games, so I feel even more confident about Switch 2 third party support compared to Switch

If the Switch could handle GTAVI it would be on the system I can tell you that. In fact, I think Rockstar should just do a cloud version because even in 2025 the Switch will still be relevant (not nearly as much since Switch 2 will be out) but there would be players playing it haha.

Anyway, Nintendo wants a platform where all games shine and that's what they will be pushing for the Switch 2 even more so than the Switch, they even hired a PlayStation employee to handle third-party support.

If GTA VI does not run at 1440-1080p at 60fps on PS5 and Series X, then I think we should assume that the chances of it being ported to Switch 2 are zero.

Its going to be 30fps, too many NPC with their own interactions plus decent graphics and ilumination.

Switch 2 port is going to be real but with ✂️, dont worry. A lot of money on the table.

So I am at page 2092 and I saw a notice below a comment talking about banned games on famiboards? First of all where can I find this list and why are games banned on this site?

Its going to be 30fps, too many NPC with their own interactions plus decent graphics and ilumination.

Switch 2 port is going to be real but with ✂️, dont worry. A lot of money on the table.

My only question is whether a port studio would be able to handle simplifying down the animations and redesigning the world to have fewer objects and NPCs on screen without heavy Rockstar involvement.

And if a lot of Rockstar involvement is needed, they may not bother as Rockstar doesn't bother with most things other than their major games and updates. They may spend the resources needed for a port on GTA Online 2 stuff.

Forgot that the PS5 Pro doesn't have an upgraded CPU.

GTA6 not running at 60 FPS on the PS5 Pro would be very funny.

"Play GTA6 at 1440p>4K FSR2 30 instead of 1080p>4K FSR2 30" is going to be the entire pitch for this $700 console.

They want to push the "Nintendo can't get this hardcore game that the PS5 and Series X can handle" but like you said it fails when you out the Series S in the equation.
Think this is why Nintendo should not run after them and do their own thing. You could give them the performance improvement of the century, if it is Nintendo they will just not buy.

My only question is whether a port studio would be able to handle simplifying down the animations and redesigning the world to have fewer objects and NPCs on screen without heavy Rockstar involvement.

And if a lot of Rockstar involvement is needed, they may not bother as Rockstar doesn't bother with most things other than their major games and updates. They may spend the resources needed for a port on GTA Online 2 stuff.

They would take the Series S version and scale up (DLSS stuff for example) or down (CPU bottleneck) i guess.

I seriously doubt GTA6 will come to the Switch 2. I believe it's technically possible, with a lot of sacrifices, but I think it would be too much of an inferior version for it to come out. For every mainline GTA game Nintendo misses, they could compensate with a lot of other third party games.

Granted, I hope Nintendo proves me wrong.

?

Also can you give me the source of Kit and Krysta said Nintendo will chase R*?

To be fair, there isn‘t that a big gap between third party sales on Switch compared to PS and Xbox. For comparison the best selling third party on PS4 is the Witcher 3 with 10 millions and for Switch Monster Hunter Rise with 8 millions.
But MH:Rise was a timed exclusive, while Witcher 3 was multiplat since day 1, and still sold more than MH:R

Its all about price point and battery time in the end. Could Nintendo make a more powerful Switch 2? Of course they could, but it would 1: Cost too much for too many potential consumers and 2: Battery time would go down, making it worse as a portable system. That's what all these power obsessed gamers don't realize, they think that just because they are obsessive gamers willing to pay just about anything for a powerful system everyone else is like them, Nintendo realizes what the appropiate price point they have to hit and the system is scaled to match what that price point is. Most buyers of a new Nintendo system will not be ultra hard core gamers that spend 8-10 hours per day gaming, many potential buyers of a Switch 2 don't even reach that amount of gaming time in a week or in a month even.

I'm gonna be honest I'm not worried about GTA VI on Switch 2. It's not going to be nearly as difficult to port as people think it is. 🥸
I’m growing concerned for just how good this port will be though, considering how it looks and how far into the PS5/Xbox Series life cycle we are to finally be seeing footage for the first time. And also how the Batman: Arkham trilogy ports have turned out on Switch. Either that or I guess Nintendo might have to bite the bullet when it comes to weight and battery life, at least a fair bit.

Semi-related, but I've been wondering how long it will take before a console game implements path tracing in photo mode. Many games treat photo modes as in-game bullshot generators, with the system taking a couple of seconds to put out an image with far higher IQ than you would normally get. Why not take it a step further and just go for full path tracing if you're taking a few seconds per frame?

Let's just say Switch 2 hits 3 Tflops in docked mode. If it takes 2 seconds to produce a frame for photo mode, that's 120 times as much performance per frame compared to producing a frame in 16.7ms for 60fps. That would be equivalent to a 360 Tflop GPU running at 60fps, or around 4x as powerful as the RTX 4090. You could get some pretty nice bullshots photo mode screenshots out of that!

Of course it would be a non-trivial amount of work to implement, and may result in lighting changes compared to the base game, particularly if the game doesn't have dynamic GI already, but I'd expect developers to try it at some point, particularly if they've already got a PC version with path tracing support.
I was wondering about that for videos.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom