• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

GTAV+Online the first holiday, giving it one final sales period where it's on a handheld, brushed up remasters of older titles releasing every other month in the lead-up to GTA VI
I could see them porting GTAV to Switch 2 because as you are saying it would essentially a not too difficult port I imagine. But I don‘t see them doing Online. For that it is too late already now. They likely would not make enough money out of it to justify it.

we should at least wait and see how the game operates before we start making definitive conclusions about ports

Nah, I've seen a grass patch in the trailer that can not be rendered by the next switch.

edit; ah~, I'll refrain being sarcastic, not worth the back-and-forth if someone reads more into it 🫡

Last edited:
Just eye balling it, the character models, specifically the faces of the characters look like a sizable step up from RDR2 and the general on-screen number of characters and cars seems very high in GTA6. Now maybe, that can be toggled down kind of like Cyberpunk 2077, but it seems to me like that is pretty integral to the "feel" of the game, they are trying to make it feel like Miami, which is a real place, and that requires likely a pretty heavy load of on screen characters and vehicles.

To port this and have it run reasonably on a device that has to run at like 6-7 watts portably would be a pretty tall ask I think. Like could they port it if like the fate of the planet depended on it? Obviously probably yes, but will they bother if they don't really have to as is? I'm going to guess no.

It would've been a nice to have, but it's no must have for Nintendo. The Switch didn't have GTAV and did more than fine.

Last edited:
Talking about games is not more important than caring for our trans members. For grossly engaging in bad faith whataboutism regarding banned content, you have been banned for one month. -xghost777, meatbag, VolcanicDynamo
I sorta put PS5/XSX games into different tiers

Tier A (games that probably barely run well on a PS5) - Alan Wake II, GTA6

Tier B (mid-tier games) - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Spider-Man 2, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart

Tier C (games we know run on a PS4) - Spider-Man Miles Morales, God of War Ragnarok

Tier B and C I think will be doable on a Switch, Tier B will make you sweat though to get the game running well.

Tier A ... probably some devs will give it a shot, but those will be really hard to port, it'll be kinda like the current Switch trying to run Witcher 3 or Batman Arkham Knight.

I don't think there's going to be as many Tier A games though period, just because they're so expensive to produce, so there is that aspect too.

Tier B (mid-tier games) - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Spider-Man 2, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart

Tier C (games we know run on a PS4) - Spider-Man Miles Morales, God of War Ragnarok

Tier B and C I think will be doable on a Switch, Tier B will make you sweat though to get the game running well.

Tier A ... probably some devs will give it a shot, but those will be really hard to port, it'll be kinda like the current Switch trying to run Witcher 3 or Batman Arkham Knight.

I don't think there's going to be as many Tier A games though period, just because they're so expensive to produce, so there is that aspect too.
This sounds about right.

I'd like to add Ubisoft's upcoming offerings to Tier B, as well as Konami's MGS Delta and any potential announcements in the game awards. Many of these might end as Tier A actually, since they'll be pushing PS5 harder by default... It's not a very accurate metric with that alone, but I can dig it.

Yesterday TechInsights released its Q3 game console market analysis. Last quarter they forecasted that Switch 2 would be introduced in “March or April next year”, but in the latest report it’s been updated to “early 2024”. Note that the TechInsight market analyses are behind a paywall, therefore I’m sourcing from the Chinese news articles (links above) that quoted the original reports.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Perhaps we should wait until we know more about the game, have a deeper look into gameplay and scope and see how the game will run on others consoles before making assumptions about Switch 2. There's a lot of miracle ports on Switch. The factor on whether a game is feasible or not is ultimately money.
I refuse to make any uninformed claims about how easy or hard it is to port an unreleased game to an unannounced console
Thank you!
This sounds about right.
It doesn't. Alan Wake 2 and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart are literally games that run on SteamDeck... Again, let's stop doing assumption and trying to categorize games into weird tiers that doesn't make sense and are simple based on perceived visual flourish. A game is much more than visuals and there's a lot of others components that are part of games that stress others parts of the system in different ways.
Yesterday TechInsights released its Q3 game console market analysis. Last quarter they forecasted that Switch 2 would be introduced in “March or April next year”, but in the latest report it’d been updated to “early 2024”. Note that the TechInsight market analyses are behind a paywall, therefore I’m sourcing from the Chinese news articles (links above) that quote the original reports.
That's quite interesting and perhaps the source of the rumor that spreader earlier on Twitter. Thank you fwd-bwd! Once we cross into 2024, things will start to look much more exciting.

Thank you for the information but this is a Nintendo community. Shouldn't we close the entire site since Nintendo isn't really known for being inclusive? Regardless. This is the hardware discussion. Thx for the link.
Since this is OT, I’ll keep this short and move on. Although NCL definitely has room to improve regarding inclusion, it is nonetheless one of the more inclusive Japanese corporations. For example, they offer equal benefits to same-sex partners, even though same-sex marriages to this day is still banned in Japan.

I don't know if when they started development nescesarily matters to much in terms of rendering tech.
its been said that things like mesh shaders are something that needs to be designed around rather than something that can be dropped into an engine for games to support. while how they handle geometry could change partway through development, it's probably decided on early one and unchanged (in a perfect scenario).

Thank you for the information but this is a Nintendo community. Shouldn't we close the entire site since Nintendo isn't really known for being inclusive? Regardless. This is the hardware discussion. Thx for the link.
You think this is very clever I imagine.

I don't know if when they started development nescesarily matters to much in terms of rendering tech.
It does and it does a lot. Once you laid out a project, stablish the foundations and scope, the tech and tools you will be using, it's harder to change or adapt to new things until you ship and can work on add-on, fixes or goes towards the next project.

Of all the games to put effort into a current gen port. GTA6 is like thee one to pick since the financial incentive far eclipses basically every other game. I struggle to see why it being challenging (who even can say this about a port of an unreleased game to an unannounced platform) would be a deterent vs the fuckload of money it would make.

The financial justifications easily support putting in the effort to make it happen.

its been said that things like mesh shaders are something that needs to be designed around rather than something that can be dropped into an engine for games to support. while how they handle geometry could change partway through development, it's probably decided on early one and unchanged (in a perfect scenario).
It does and it does a lot. Once you laid out a project, stablish the foundations and scope, the tech and tools you will be using, it's harder to change or adapt to new things until you ship and can work on add-on, fixes or goes towards the next project.
With a game like GTA there's about a million things that needs to be planned out before you even start thinking about graphics.

I sincerely doubt they started to think about tech in 2014.

How’s everyone feeling about the January announcement?

I know people like to disregard the Twitter rumors but the fact that it’s coming from two people familiar with the mobile space I feel like it’s a possibility that it’s going to happen, the Switch is mobile hardware so it kinda adds up.

it would be a great way for Nintendo to start off 2024 with a clean slate.

Yesterday TechInsights released its Q3 game console market analysis. Last quarter they forecasted that Switch 2 would be introduced in “March or April next year”, but in the latest report it’s been updated to “early 2024”. Note that the TechInsight market analyses are behind a paywall, therefore I’m sourcing from the Chinese news articles (links above) that quoted the original reports.

Interesting.
I wonder what they know to anticipate (even if slightly) the release forecasts. I don't know TechInsights but I imagine that since it is paid information it is counterproductive (pass me the term) to "guess".

Since there's not gonna be a day-one PC version for GTA VI, the funniest possible reality is that a Switch 2 version turns out to be the best-looking platform at launch due to hardware RT.

I have to assume this doesn't really represent a change in their prediction, just a difference in phrasing. January and February are clearly off the table, so "March or April" and "early 2024" might as well be synonymous at this point. I guess May is debatable.

Either way, it's a bold prediction not to revise it since August even though the thing hasn't been announced yet. March and April don't seem very possible either. Maybe should have changed it to "mid-2024" to cover their bases from May to July.

Yeah that make sense comparing a console that consumes 15w with other one consumes over 200w, don't forget raytracing man.
If they were doing that, and some do, are of course doing it in bad faith. But some keep hoping Nintendo release a home only console that isn't restrained by portable restrictions and are continuously disappointed.

Interesting. I was also wondering what their definition of "early 2024" would be because when I see "early 2024", normally I don't think of months like May, June.

This aside, I understand that the nature of analysis/forecasting means they can be wrong, but what has TechInsight's track record been like on predictions historically?

How’s everyone feeling about the January announcement?

I know people like to disregard the Twitter rumors but the fact that it’s coming from two people familiar with the mobile space I feel like it’s a possibility that it’s going to happen, the Switch is mobile hardware so it kinda adds up.

it would be a great way for Nintendo to start off 2024 with a clean slate.
Unlikely, the Switch 1 has enough gas left in the tank for one more general Direct in February. I don't think we're seeing the Switch 2 in any official capacity until at least March.

Of all the games to put effort into a current gen port. GTA6 is like thee one to pick since the financial incentive far eclipses basically every other game. I struggle to see why it being challenging (who even can say this about a port of an unreleased game to an unannounced platform) would be a deterent vs the fuckload of money it would make.

The financial justifications easily support putting in the effort to make it happen.
It's entirely possible that the game could be pushing the CPUs of the bigger systems pretty hard to the point where scaling it down to the Switch 2 may not be feasible, so GTAVI coming to the Switch 2 isn't exactly a safe bet.

If they were doing that, and some do, are of course doing it in bad faith. But some keep hoping Nintendo release a home only console that isn't restrained by portable restrictions and are continuously disappointed.
That's a dumb thing to hope for. Nintendo has achieved their long term goal of unifying their game development pipeline, and they have a long term partnership with Nvidia providing them full fledged desktop class gpu architectures in a mobile weight class. Even when they were making home consoles, they never made 200+ watt beasts. Power consumption was important to them even when not restricted by a battery.

Interesting. I was also wondering what their definition of "early 2024" would be because when I see "early 2024", normally I don't think of months like May, June.

This aside, I understand that the nature of analysis/forecasting means they can be wrong, but what has TechInsight's track record been like on predictions historically?
What's so scary about the idea of April?

Or March 🤪

That's a dumb thing to hope for. Nintendo has achieved their long term goal of unifying their game development pipeline, and they have a long term partnership with Nvidia providing them full fledged desktop class gpu architectures in a mobile weight class. Even when they were making home consoles, they never made 200+ watt beasts. Power consumption was important to them even when not restricted by a battery.
One can still dream.

How much power did GameCube consume btw, compared to Xbox and PS2? And N64 to PS1, Saturn etc? I wonder. I don't know if this info is available.

Unlikely, the Switch 1 has enough gas left in the tank for one more general Direct in February. I don't think we're seeing the Switch 2 in any official capacity until at least March.

Maybe, but I could also see them just skipping the February Direct if they are announcing new hardware in March. What are we really to expect for Switch games that would really make a Direct worth while? At this point MP4 is almost certainly a cross gen title, so I do not expect to see that revealed before the new hardware. If they really only have a handful of mid level unannounced games to reveal, I think rolling those out with Twitter reveals would be more practical. Or maybe we finally see that big GameCube remaster push made, and F-Zero GX and Prime 2 Remastered are revealed along with Zelda WW HD and TP HD. Or perhaps something even bigger, like a Zelda OoT remake. Another one that never seems to come up is a remake of Mario 64. We got a small taste of what that could look like in Mario Odyssey.

One can still dream.

How much power did GameCube consume btw, compared to Xbox and PS2? And N64 to PS1, Saturn etc? I wonder. I don't know if this info is available.
I don't know but back then, all consoles were relatively low power. It was in the 360/ ps3 generation where power consumption went off the charts.

What's so scary about the idea of April?

Or March 🤪

Nothing. I still haven't ruled March out completely either here, lol. Although the window seems very unlikely and is closing fast - it'd be SWOLED-fast between the announcement and the release, I like to think they want more ramp-up time to have enough units ready for launch day.

I'm just trying to figure out if "early 2024" is supposed to mean anything different than March-April that they shared as prediction in August. I cannot see May & June being part of "early 2024" definition, so like LiC said, "early 2024" and "March/April" might as well be synonymous.

I do find it interesting (LiC attested to the same) that they haven't revised their prediction that much. Maybe they're using the orange site like we have been, haha. Seriously though, I am sure their teams already knows about the stuff we were discovering, plus being privy to info that we couldn't here at Fami.

Maybe, but I could also see them just skipping the February Direct if they are announcing new hardware in March. What are we really to expect for Switch games that would really make a Direct worth while? At this point MP4 is almost certainly a cross gen title, so I do not expect to see that revealed before the new hardware. If they really only have a handful of mid level unannounced games to reveal, I think rolling those out with Twitter reveals would be more practical. Or maybe we finally see that big GameCube remaster push made, and F-Zero GX and Prime 2 Remastered are revealed along with Zelda WW HD and TP HD. Or perhaps something even bigger, like a Zelda OoT remake. Another one that never seems to come up is a remake of Mario 64. We got a small taste of what that could look like in Mario Odyssey.
  • FE Genealogy remake
  • More details on Splatoon 3: Side Order
  • Paper Mario TTYD & LM2 HD release date
  • Metroid Prime 2 & 3
  • Pikmin 4 DLC
  • Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD
  • F-Zero GX
That'd be enough to fill up a February Direct this late in the Switch 1's life. The fact that said Genealogy remake is supposedly already done, isn't cross-gen, & still hasn't been announced makes me sure we're due for one more Switch 1 Direct.

Also, I'm genuinely not sure where all the OoT Remake talk is coming from. Is it just a collective dream based on that one "Z R 2023" tweet? That could just mean WW/TPHD & the R stands for "remaster".

One can still dream.

NES was only 9W- less than Nintendo Switch.

N64 was 19W, PS1 (original) was 10W, Saturn at 15W. So N64 was actually the most greedy!

GameCube was 23W, Xbox was 100W, I think PS2 was about 40W.

These may not be precise, it is kind of hard to find these numbers.

I continue to scoff at the idea of a NG Switch using MORE than 15W (especially if T239 is on 4N), we had generations of home consoles with modest power consumption after all.

They still had a 3DS direct in September 2016, a month before the Switch announcement. I could totally see them still doing one last dedicated Switch direct in February followed by a March announcement.

What makes me very much doubt that Rockstar will port this over is that if they were a developer with a proven record to release games on Nintendo platforms then sure maybe they would make the effort to port this over to Switch 2, none of this is part of Rockstar release history though, they almost never work with Nintendo thus this sort of effort would be unheard of.

The only chance i see it is if Nintendo pays them good money to port it to Switch 2 just so Nintendo has the biggest AAA third party game to market for the Switch 2, but that also seems very unlikely. So no this game won't come out on Switch 2.

They still had a 3DS direct in September 2016, a month before the Switch announcement. I could totally see them still doing one last dedicated Switch direct in February followed by a March announcement.
In such a scenario. do you think dedicated Switch direct in February would be MP4-less?

I happen to think it might be a mistake revealing MP4 in February Switch-dedicated Direct, only to reveal in March Direct (with Switch 2) that MP4 is also coming to Switch 2. People pre-ordering MP4 from February Direct for Switch 1 are gonna have to cancel their preorder if they were going to do MP4 on Switch 2 instead in the first place.

It's entirely possible that the game could be pushing the CPUs of the bigger systems pretty hard to the point where scaling it down to the Switch 2 may not be feasible, so GTAVI coming to the Switch 2 isn't exactly a safe bet.
Like I said in that post. We're talking about an unreleased game for an unreleased platform. It is already pure assumptions that this would be a momunmental task to begin with. But it being challenging is far less of a reason to not port it compared to other titles since it is fucking Grand Theft Auto.

Which is why I do not understand anyone saying "why would they bother".

NES was only 9W- less than Nintendo Switch.

N64 was 19W, PS1 (original) was 10W, Saturn at 15W. So N64 was actually the most greedy!

GameCube was 23W, Xbox was 100W, I think PS2 was about 40W.

These may not be precise, it is kind of hard to find these numbers.

I continue to scoff at the idea of a NG Switch using MORE than 15W (especially if T239 is on 4N), we had generations of home consoles with modest power consumption after all.
Wow! Those things hardly even consumed anything compared to what we have now.

Looks like the Xbox was the first to break that. Now 100w for current consoles look like nothing.

In such a scenario. do you think dedicated Switch direct in February would be MP4-less?

I happen to think it might be a mistake revealing MP4 in February Switch-dedicated Direct, only to reveal in March Direct (with Switch 2) that MP4 is also coming to Switch 2. People pre-ordering MP4 from February Direct for Switch 1 are gonna have to cancel their preorder if they were going to do MP4 on Switch 2 instead in the first place.

The next time we see MP4 will be at the Switch 2 announcement event (unless it somehow gets shown at TGA),.

They could reveal the game if the new system is still a bit far away from it, if the new switch is BC you can always play it that way, i suppose this could imply that the NG version of the game and the old version would be the same and it will be matter only of how you play the game

idk if that could work

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom