• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I forgot about this. I wonder if Nintendo will ever remake OOT, and if they do, if it’ll be the Switch’s Zelda title
Honestly, to me it feels like after TotK and With switch 2 its probably the golden moment for a grounds up remake (if they want it to still somewhat resemble the original, unlike FF7R)
Its scope, even if expanded, would be smaller then TotK, because of that it could go all out with Raytracing (if the Switch2 supports it), better playability, reduced obscurity with some progressions (most are really not that hard, but people are now used to overly direct hints), updated lore (to take into account later additions/explanations), 4k, 60fps.

If they do that, i can't really see a big benefit of an new remake for the next 20 years at least. hyper fidelity wont change much, i don't think new typed of displays will change the way games are viewed that much (holograms), VR would be possible with this version, and honestly, the game OoT is doesnt need more, adding to much model/texture detail would change the identity of that game to much.

I think it's more like they might get the full version, if drake launches this year. It is a bit strange for them to make a tweet if it is just going to be another legacy version...

The MLB game is not a legacy version, and they tweeted about it... theyve never tweeted about a new lecagy version apart from the free demo they just did
I don't think it's strange at all. Fifa Legacy Edition still sells well despite itself, and it's in EA's interest to pump this up for recognition against Fifa. the FC rollout is hella coordinated so money has had to change hands to get this level of coordination

as far as i remember it wasnt a rumor, nvidia just could not deliver on time and nintendo decided for a different route. Wasnt it confirmed in the megaleak?
I think we got pictures of test boards from the FCC in the past, or at least a description of the device

Judging from what we have seen with Nintendo with Zelda remakes, I think OoT/MM is gonna be the former following SSHD & TP/WW-when those get released & have some improvements.
The latter will be for games like Oracle as we saw with LA.
I tend to think like you, and remakes would please me I guess, but I would like unreleased titles outside the main open world series. If there's room for new 2D AND 3D Metroid, I think Nintendo can do better than simply 2D remakes, and better than just remasters of N64 remasters.

Honestly, to me it feels like after TotK and With switch 2 its probably the golden moment for a grounds up remake (if they want it to still somewhat resemble the original, unlike FF7R)
Its scope, even if expanded, would be smaller then TotK, because of that it could go all out with Raytracing (if the Switch2 supports it), better playability, reduced obscurity with some progressions (most are really not that hard, but people are now used to overly direct hints), updated lore (to take into account later additions/explanations), 4k, 60fps.

If they do that, i can't really see a big benefit of an new remake for the next 20 years at least. hyper fidelity wont change much, i don't think new typed of displays will change the way games are viewed that much (holograms), VR would be possible with this version, and honestly, the game OoT is doesnt need more, adding to much model/texture detail would change the identity of that game to much.
They should really remake it. Game deserves a dosis of lore update. And after making Ganondorf return in TOTK, it’d be fitting to remake the game that offers his backstory

I tend to think like you, and remakes would please me I guess, but I would like unreleased titles outside the main open world series. If there's room for new 2D AND 3D Metroid, I think Nintendo can do better than simply 2D remakes, and better than just remasters of N64 remasters.
Remakes are fine I just don’t want a FF7R level one with a game that, frankly, doesn’t need it. The bigger issue with 2D Zelda is probably finding the right partner now that 3D Zelda sucks up so much resources. Grezzo looks like they could be that partner but seemingly Nintendo hasn’t tried it yet.

I forgot about this. I wonder if Nintendo will ever remake OOT, and if they do, if it’ll be the Switch’s Zelda title

Nintendo basically seems "done" with classic Zelda. Can't even get Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD on Switch so I can't imagine we would ever see remakes to games like Ocarina of Time. Would love to see classic Zelda games not just remade but re-imagined. Imagine an Ocarina of Time game on a next gen Switch with a much larger world, more to see and do, awesome looking visuals, etc. My hype would be threw the roof lol.

Ocarina of Time RTX would be fire tho

doubly so if they did Majora's Mask as well
Probably. I expect to drain my bank account as soon as they’re announced.

I just have a lot of games, and I should play those instead of buying ports, remakes, and remasters of games I already and still own. 🤦‍♀️

Ocarina of Time RTX would be fire tho

doubly so if they did Majora's Mask as well
If they do an RTX Ocarina of Time, they need to introduce a dungeon where the puzzles are only possible to solve "through the power of ray-tracing"

Much like the color dungeon in Link's Awakening DX.

Nintendo basically seems "done" with classic Zelda. Can't even get Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD on Switch so I can't imagine we would ever see remakes to games like Ocarina of Time.
Ehh, porting The Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD is more of a formality to me than anything. It’s easy money for Nintendo. If not Switch then definitely its successor.

If they do an RTX Ocarina of Time, they need to introduce a dungeon where the puzzles are only possible to solve "through the power of ray-tracing"

Much like the color dungeon in Link's Awakening DX.

Pretty sure that would be literally impossible to implement in a way that wasn't extremely annoying as natural light is very hard to line up precisely enough to distinguish it from prebaked.

You guys think Nintendo has a new Mario game ready to capitalize off the success of the movie?

'Stay tuned!'
This film was designed to be the best Mario ad we've ever had. Considering the timing of EPD 'Mario team', it's clear for me that they have a plan.
And I will definitely not miss the next Nintendo direct lol.

'Stay tuned!'
This film was designed to be the best Mario ad we've ever had. Considering the timing of EPD 'Mario team', it's clear for me that they have a plan.
Switch 2 and 3D (and maybe 2D!) Mario game by the end of the year, I hope!

as far as i remember it wasnt a rumor, nvidia just could not deliver on time and nintendo decided for a different route. Wasnt it confirmed in the megaleak?
Nvidia over promised and under delivered. They promised greater performance and battery life than what they could deliver, plus they were missing deadlines in terms of timing. It was a rough time for Nvidia & Nintendo was forced to pivot.

Nintendo basically seems "done" with classic Zelda. Can't even get Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD on Switch so I can't imagine we would ever see remakes to games like Ocarina of Time.
That... seems like a stretch, considering there have been two major classic rereleases since BOTW.
Would love to see classic Zelda games not just remade but re-imagined. Imagine an Ocarina of Time game on a next gen Switch with a much larger world, more to see and do, awesome looking visuals, etc. My hype would be threw the roof lol.
In a series that already references and reuses things from iteration to iteration, why could that not just be a separate entry? Already sounding a lot like what Twilight Princess was going for.

Nintendo has never done this before, so I’m not holding out hope real high. But considering how much they are pushing the Nintendo Account thing, I’m thinking what if they brought over all (or at least all Nintendo published) games over to Switch 2?

I’m not talking about backwards compatibility. That is welcome as well, but it’s not perfect in terms of preservation as Nintendo will eventually quit producing physical Switch games.

I’m thinking, what if Nintendo brought all of the games over to Switch 2 Eshop? So day one, you open Switch 2 Eshop and you can basically purchase any Nintendo Switch game there. That would be wonderful imo

Nintendo has never done this before, so I’m not holding out hope real high. But considering how much they are pushing the Nintendo Account thing, I’m thinking what if they brought over all (or at least all Nintendo published) games over to Switch 2?

I’m not talking about backwards compatibility. That is welcome as well, but it’s not perfect in terms of preservation as Nintendo will eventually quit producing physical Switch games.

I’m thinking, what if Nintendo brought all of the games over on Switch 2 Eshop? So day one, you open Switch 2 Eshop and you can basically purchase any Nintendo Switch game there. That would be wonderful imo
This is the expected scenario. Not a surprising one.

Nintendo is going to follow the Apple app store model.

Nintendo basically seems "done" with classic Zelda.
Although I understand why you’re under that impression, I don’t think they are.

Can't even get Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD on Switch
I presume there’s a reason for that. The same reason we got a lackluster anniversary: it just wasn’t the time. I think the same way they spread out the Prime Remaster, they may be spreading the Zelda Remasters.

so I can't imagine we would ever see remakes to games like Ocarina of Time.
I beg to differ. It would be one of Nintendo’s most ambitious projects and one for people to be very observing of.

Would love to see classic Zelda games not just remade but re-imagined. Imagine an Ocarina of Time game on a next gen Switch with a much larger world, more to see and do, awesome looking visuals, etc. My hype would be threw the roof lol.
I think it’d be a happy medium: a bigger overworld with bigger areas. Just not open world.

Switch 2 and 3D (and maybe 2D!) Mario game by the end of the year, I hope!
Word!

'Stay tuned!'
Given the reported box office numbers, a huge amount of new generation of Mario fans are being created and will identify Mario and company with this beautifully animated version until either the sequel is released or its translated over into a game. Hard to imagine Nintendo not being extremely interested in harvesting that interest bc those same kids' parents and siblings are likely Mario fans as well, indicative of the long term relationship the IP is able to build.

Given the reported box office numbers, a huge amount of new generation of Mario fans are being created and will identify Mario and company with this beautifully animated version until either the sequel is released or its translated over into a game. Hard to imagine Nintendo not being extremely interested in harvesting that interest bc those same kids' parents and siblings are likely Mario fans as well, indicative of the long term relationship the IP is able to build.
Video Game IP
Theme Park work in progress
A successful movie

I feel like Nintendo could become a small scale Disney.

IMG_4602.png
https://patents.google.com/patent/U...nee=Nintendo&oq=Nintendo+thunderbolt&sort=new

The patent for Thunderbolt Switch dock back from 2021

Pretty sure that would be literally impossible to implement in a way that wasn't extremely annoying as natural light is very hard to line up precisely enough to distinguish it from prebaked.
Minecraft RTX does this already, so it's not impossible. There are other ways to take advantage of RT for gameplay though

Wonder if they did it again >_>
Back then it wasn't a built to spec product. Now it is. Chances of that are low

I saw the movie today, im 30yo (in 2 days, btw i feel old lol) and the cinema was FULL of children, like i went with 4 friends roughly same age and there were like other 5-10 ppl of our age watching, the rest? parents with children in the 10ish or less.... so for sure Nintendo just created a new gen of fans (some children understood a lot of the ref in the movie so they were fans bc of their parents)

I saw the movie today, im 30yo (in 2 days, btw i feel old lol) and the cinema was FULL of children, like i went with 4 friends roughly same age and there were like other 5-10 ppl of our age watching, the rest? parents with children in the 10ish or less.... so for sure Nintendo just created a new gen of fans (some children understood a lot of the ref in the movie so they were fans bc of their parents)
Word! Same thing happened in my theater. Lots fans and children. And the movie has sold out in a looot of theaters

Video Game IP
Theme Park work in progress
A successful movie

I feel like Nintendo could become a small scale Disney.
Absolutely. They are the only company that has IP that rivals Disney.

Really hope this momentum is the first step into the New Switch era. Mario Bros. movie ($1B Box Office?) -----> TOTK -----> Drake w/ New Mario launch title in holiday 2023 sounds like a great year.

Absolutely. They are the only company that has IP that rivals Disney.

Really hope this momentum is the first step into the New Switch era. Mario Bros. movie ($1B Box Office?) -----> TOTK -----> Drake w/ New Mario launch title in holiday 2023 sounds like a great year.
I concur. The Nintendo brand and its IP have a looot of momentum as of right now

Phantom hourglass and spirit tracks definitely deserve a remake. If they fix and change certain things they would be loved so much more imo
I played through Spirit Tracks with the D-pad fan patch last year. A significantly improved experience though it’s limited to Link himself, sword only (Zelda, sub-weapons all still require touch controls). It’d be pretty easy to add traditional controls to the game even if that strips the uniqueness from it.

I played through Spirit Tracks with the D-pad fan patch last year. A significantly improved experience though it’s limited to Link himself, sword only (Zelda, sub-weapons all still require touch controls). It’d be pretty easy to add traditional controls to the game even if that strips the uniqueness from it.
I liked the touch screen controls I didn't find them that bad. Now that I think about it the uniqueness of the ds will be hard to port to switch considering the puzzle where you need to close your DS. I get that they could get rid of them but I liked the things like that

Nvidia over promised and under delivered. They promised greater performance and battery life than what they could deliver, plus they were missing deadlines in terms of timing. It was a rough time for Nvidia & Nintendo was forced to pivot.
Glad they got their act together. What Nvidia brings to the table now has been such an exciting thing for a Nintendo fan.

It's not here, so no. If they have one for later this year, the movie will be pretty old news by then.
Nintendo had a sale for most Mario games. I suspect they sold quite a few of them. I think it's mostly about capitalizing on what they already have. Whatever comes next is a bonus.

Mario was already one of the most recognizable brands before the movie. Now, even more so. That kind of collective mind-share does not vanish easily. The next Mario will have a lot more attention, IMO.

I'm one of those parents that went with their kids and nephews. If I wasn't a dad or uncle, I'd be there nonetheless.
Welcome to the club of aging Nintendo fans. (I was there before you did)!

I liked the touch screen controls I didn't find them that bad. Now that I think about it the uniqueness of the ds will be hard to port to switch considering the puzzle where you need to close your DS. I get that they could get rid of them but I liked the things like that
That’s why it would need a full on remake; they’d have to rethink a lot of the ideas and puzzles to make them unique to the Switch.

But at least a remake would be an opportunity for new people to try those DS Zelda games and give Nintendo a second try at some of the great ideas from what I personally think are mid-level Zelda’s…

I didn’t dislike the touch controls. I mostly wanted to try the patch. However, I’m just thinking about the practicality of likely not having a stylus. Switch doesn’t even have the same type of touch screen (capacitive vs DS’s resistive).

The 3ds could have been so much better if Nvidia had their shit together. Day 1 support for ue3 and unity not long after that would have made the 3ds even more of an indie darling

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom