• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

DS emulation on Redacted would also require a solution for games that require use of the DS microphone. WiiU had no problem because the game pad had a built in mic.

DS emulation on Redacted would also require a solution for games that require use of the DS microphone. WiiU had no problem because the game pad had a built in mic.
No major games really used it for anything more than just a glorified button press though. You can just map blowing into the microphone to a button press. If drake has anaolgue triggers (yes please) then those would work great because it would work like fludd in mario sunshine.

If REDACTED has a "Wii U mode" with streaming to the dock it's pretty easy to implement a DS Emulator.
You don't actually need a second screen for DS games though... you can fit both into a single widescreen image quite nicely. Works better, in my opinion, since you don't have to keep swapping your eyes up and down

Happy 500 pages to fellow long-pagers.
I’m not talking about backwards compatibility.
So day one, you open Switch 2 Eshop and you can basically purchase any Nintendo Switch game there. That would be wonderful imo
There's nothing physical-specific about the term. And that's basically how it's worked for every system with backwards compatibility during the digital era, with the caveat that systems like DS and Wii only had a fraction of their library in digital form to begin with. They definitely WANT you to be able to keep spending on old games, no worries!
No major games really used it for anything more than just a glorified button press though.
Nintendogs was kind of a big deal.

It is amazing how security has grown exponentially after what Mochizuki said.
If Drake is scheduled for late 2023/early 2024, not having even the slightest clue about a third-party title gives one pause for thought.

Who knows what June's Nintendo Direct has in store for us.
Dying Light 2 (cloud) seems to have disappeared, the Arkham trilogy has yet to be announced, as has the almost certain Read Dead Redemption...

might have been moved to fill the launch of the new console, or maybe not.

Wonder if they did it again >_>
I considered that as well, but what are the odds a processor gets all the way to the final stages of taping it out before finding out it can't deliver the requirements? Taping out is something done to prepare for manufacturing, if Drake wasn't hitting the required power draw and performance required, they would have known that well in advance of the taping out process.

I can't believe I've read all 1000 pages of this thread. I used to lurk the old place too so feels like I've been here for years at this point. In fact I think I've been following the hardware speculation since I started my degree apprenticeship in 2020, just last week I had the results email to tell me I had achieved a first class with honours.

So happy 1000 everyone, I have really enjoyed contributing and no longer lurking. Now [REDACTED] needs to unredact it's ass now I have ample time to enjoy new hardware.

You don't actually need a second screen for DS games though... you can fit both into a single widescreen image quite nicely. Works better, in my opinion, since you don't have to keep swapping your eyes up and down
There were a few games that used the two screens as a single extended vertical scene, so the option to have them stacked would unfortunately be necessary.
And for stuff like Sonic where you were moving really fast across the two, even having a WiiU mode with the bottom screen in your hands would be pretty bad. You'd lose sight of your character real quick.

There were a few games that used the two screens as a single extended vertical scene, so the option to have them stacked would unfortunately be necessary.
And for stuff like Sonic where you were moving really fast across the two, even having a WiiU mode with the bottom screen in your hands would be pretty bad. You'd lose sight of your character real quick.
Yeah, sonic rush would need to be vertical, but I would trust nintendo to have a few layout options available, hopefully settable on a per-game basis. Like with brain age, you would need to rotate it on its side... if they're even allowed to rerelease that game lol 😅

I can't believe I've read all 1000 pages of this thread. I used to lurk the old place too so feels like I've been here for years at this point.
Ditto. The only reason I made an account here was when somebody posted a picture of something as a joke behind a hidden tag. I think it was a picture of Lonk?

Whatever it was, I’m glad it got me to sign up. Been enjoying all of the ups and downs in the thread.

I know I'm late (I was asleep when we got to there), but happy 1000+ pages, everybody! I haven't been on this board long; I was lurking here since December when I stumbled upon it and I joined the month after and I've slowly become more active ever since. I wasn't sure if I had anything substantial to add, since I'm not as knowledgeable on the finer details as everyone else, but I feel as though some of my.... postulations (???? I could not think of a better term) have been just as valued as the more informed takes on this thread and I appreciate that. This thread has made me somewhat more knowledgeable on the goings on of hardware development it's changed what I thought I knew about the upcoming Switch successor. I used to believe that we wouldn't see this thing until holiday 2025, purely because we hadn't even heard the codename yet (iirc, we would usually hear the codename before the system's release: Ultra 64 to N64, Dolphin to GameCube, Revolution to Wii, Cafe to Wii U, NX to Switch) and I would admittedly fall for the long tired logic of "because Nintendo" due my own frustrations with the company and because that mentality was so pervasive online. That was partially got me to make my two parttwo part gigapost detailing how Nintendo got to where they were and how I believe they will move forward and they were most "Yeah'd" post on the forum (before being overtaken by my gushing over chaos)! It's been nice engaging with some relatively composed opinions on the subject without the thread turning into an echo chamber, I've gotten into a few disagreements with some of the members of this thread, err.... no hard feelings? 😅 All in all, I'm thankful for discovering this thread when I did and I hope I'll continue on as a member of this board (maybe I'll start my own thread on of these days), thanks for the memories and to many more (but not another 1000 pages 😂).

Edit: Wrong post about the chaos, it was this

Last edited:
Isn't that like Nintendo's M.O. though? Come to think of it, just how old is the Redrakted's tech supposed to be?
Brand new I think. People say the chip was taped out a few months ago, but I don't know what that actually means
"Taped out" means that the chip design is finalized and ready to be manufactured. In the Very Early Days of silicon you literally did this with tape, hence the name. There is some evidence that T239's tape out happened late last year.

The chip is custom but the tech inside it isn't brand new. It's sorta hard to talk about how "old" that tech is. When a "next gen" comes along, you can use that investment 2 ways. Making your systems more powerful, or keep the performance the same and make it smaller and more efficient. Basically, Nvidia has taken one of their laptop designs from 2021 and spent the last few years squeezing it down into something like a mini tablet while still giving you decent battery life.

I was under that impression as well. Wait ‘til the tech ages in order to sell at a profit
Gunpei Yokoi, who invented the GameBoy, invented this term. He was referring to using mass produced tech in fun ways, because if you pursue cutting edge tech, then all your resources are going to the "cutting edge" part instead of the "fun" part.

The Switch was built on a then-powerful chip that had been kind of a commercial failure for Nvidia, so they got it cheap. REDACTED's chip is custom, but is designed as a customized version of a chip Nvidia was building anyway for the automotive sector. Nintendo has been putting custom chips in their hardware for years, that's not new.

The new "withered technology" idea for Nintendo wasn't the chip, it was the idea of leveraging the active smart phone market to make the parts necessary for a powerful handheld, cheaply. Quality touchscreens are cheap, miniaturized haptic feedback is cheap, phone memory is cheap, sd cards and eMMC storage, all cheap. That's why there were so many Switch clones so fast, and why they all sucked.

It's been nice engaging with some relatively composed opinions on the subject without the thread turning into an echo chamber, I've gotten into a few disagreements with some of the members of this thread, err.... no hard feelings?
Any place with the same kinds of people, with the same backgrounds and knowledge, will turn into an angry echo chamber eventually. The health of this place is the variety of people, and doing our best (usually successfully) to welcome their viewpoints.

I am kinda tempted to post a big thing about "what if we're all wrong about everything" to sorta counteract the prevailing narrative here, just in case, but that feels doomy for a celebratory moment, so I'll hold off ;)

I really appreciate everyone who contributes here. Good people, who taught me things.

Any place with the same kinds of people, with the same backgrounds and knowledge, will turn into an angry echo chamber eventually. The health of this place is the variety of people, and doing our best (usually successfully) to welcome their viewpoints.

I am kinda tempted to post a big thing about "what if we're all wrong about everything" to sorta counteract the prevailing narrative here, just in case, but that feels doomy for a celebratory moment, so I'll hold off ;)

I really appreciate everyone who contributes here. Good people, who taught me things.
How wrong could we actually be, though? I would expect smaller details, like certain specs or how the system is released, but I'm curious what you have in mind in the face of the little bits of evidence that available.

they were most "Yeah'd" post on the forum (before being overtaken by my gushing over chaos)! It's been nice engaging with some relatively composed opinions on the subject without the thread turning into an echo chamber, I've gotten into a few disagreements with some of the members of this thread, err.... no hard feelings? 😅 All in all, I'm thankful for discovering this thread when I did and I hope I'll continue on as a member of this board (maybe I'll start my own thread on of these days), thanks for the memories and to many more (but not another 1000 pages 😂).

Edit: Wrong post about the chaos, it was this
To whoever did this, when you put the UI back to normal, PUHLEASE keep the Chao reaction! Pleeaaassssee 🥺🥺🥺🥺
uCn0Ioe.png

Gunpei Yokoi, who invented the GameBoy, invented this term. He was referring to using mass produced tech in fun ways, because if you pursue cutting edge tech, then all your resources are going to the "cutting edge" part instead of the "fun" part.

The Switch was built on a then-powerful chip that had been kind of a commercial failure for Nvidia, so they got it cheap. REDACTED's chip is custom, but is designed as a customized version of a chip Nvidia was building anyway for the automotive sector. Nintendo has been putting custom chips in their hardware for years, that's not new.

The new "withered technology" idea for Nintendo wasn't the chip, it was the idea of leveraging the active smart phone market to make the parts necessary for a powerful handheld, cheaply. Quality touchscreens are cheap, miniaturized haptic feedback is cheap, phone memory is cheap, sd cards and eMMC storage, all cheap. That's why there were so many Switch clones so fast, and why they all sucked.
Very good points. Thanks for sharing them!

I shortly considered the next Switch to just be a Pro, in order to refresh the brand until they release a 2 a couple of years down the line.

But I doubt Nintendo will keep navigating in these “uncharted territories” much longer.

As someone whos been lurking since the Wiiu days, I would like to voice my appreciation to all those that have been contributing for so long, these threads over the years have taught me so much and have helped continue my interest in tech/computing. Happy 1001 pages hopefully we get a reveal soon.

Assuming what if we're all wrong means that nintendo doesn't release a successor for years, then I wouldn't consider that a bad situation. Switch emulation is getting bettee alll the time... I'll keep buying their games, just not playing them on their hardware 🤷‍♂️

Quoted by: D36
ok Spawn wave made a new video using fake information from nintendo redacted, i sent him this link
to show him it's fake,
then he deleted my comment.

ok Spawn wave made a new video using fake information from nintendo redacted, i sent him this link
to show him it's fake,
sigh

On the subject of T239, how confident are we that it has been taped out? Every post here seems to say it as a certainty… has it definitely happened?

EDIT: just seen oldpuck’s comment… is this on your list of ‘what if we are all wrong’?

Assuming what if we're all wrong means that nintendo doesn't release a successor for years, then I wouldn't consider that a bad situation. Switch emulation is getting bettee alll the time... I'll keep buying their games, just not playing them on their hardware 🤷‍♂️
I mean, that still is a bad situation, considering the Switch's declining sales; it would be a Wii to Wii U transition all over again and Nintendo is trying to avoid that.

Wait, you can keep the Chaos while having the normal UI??????
Well.. define "normal." 😅
The Sega themes did remain (as did the Wario Time theme from last year's April Fool's). If you have either of the Sega themes active the Chao are still active.
There's one with the stylized retro font from the initial April Fool's joke and one with the regular Fami font. So you can select "Sega - no font" from the menu and it'll be like simply having a Fami Blue theme but with Chao 💙

to show him it's fake,
That's........ disappointing. I thought he would be better about this sort of thing 😕

Well.. define "normal." 😅
The Sega themes did remain (as did the Wario Time theme from last year's April Fool's). If you have either of the Sega themes active the Chao are still active.
There's one with the stylized retro font from the initial April Fool's joke and one with the regular Fami font. So you can select "Sega - no font" from the menu and it'll be like simply having a Fami Blue theme but with Chao 💙
GOOD GOD THE WARIO COLORS ARE HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!

Last edited:
GOOD GOD THE WARIO COLORS ARE HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!

I actually grew accustomed to it because it was around the time Sonic the Movie 2 was releasing and I wanted to show love for Tails so I kept it for a few weeks. Had my avatar changed to the sweet yellow boi and everything. 🤣

to show him it's fake,

That's........ disappointing. I thought he would be better about this sort of thing 😕
Im not that suprised. While i had a worse opinion at the start of the switch (because his connection to SMD) it did improve a lot, but his news casts are extremly clickbait, barely better then all those clickbait nintendo pages simply cause it has something of substance at its core, and he does not halucinate for 10 minutes in the video but gets straight to the point. But the titles and thumbnails are simply clickbait.
Often i was "hes not wording that event that way....lets check...okay, he is...".

Still one of the better nintendo news tubers... but that says more about the general state of nintendo content on youtube then about his standards.

Last edited:
to show him it's fake,
Do you mean this video titled 'The Fake Switch 2 Leaks Keep Happening...' ?

He's saying it's a huge hoax, and does refer to the Famiboards post by the hoaxer

Last edited:
to show him it's fake,

Btw I remember trying to post a link in a comment once (in another YouTube channel) and my comment didn’t show up. There might be an automated filter set up to avoid spam

It seems like if the “Block links” filter is active then it would need to be manually approved

Then i have to take the l in that regard if its not him deleting comments and already addressing it with another video.
Still, i stand by my distaste for his use of extreme clickbait (more so then any LTT video people are complaining about)

I’m pretty sure that YouTube auto-deletes comments that have URLs in them. Presumably because having mods check every URL for potential malware would be impractical.

On the subject of T239, how confident are we that it has been taped out? Every post here seems to say it as a certainty… has it definitely happened?
Definite, no, likely, yes. Three pieces of evidence.
  • This commit in April of last year fixes a bug that you would probably find on a hardware sample, and the recommendation is from the "SSG team." SSG team is a group that works on "post silicon characterization" - in other word, analyzing the physical properties of a chip thats actually been made.
  • A LinkedIn profile (which I will not link to, for privacy reasons), has an engineer starting in April to "electrically characterize and validate... T239". Again, this is testing physical silicon. Hat tip to @karmitt for finding that!
  • A second LinkedIn profile for an electrical engineer mentions a short term contract working on T239 validation tools in the same time frame
So yeah, tape out has almost definitely happened. Technically changes can happen after "tape out", usually bug-fixes. Nvidia is notorious for validating their design extensively before tape out, and having at most a single revision.

As someone whos been lurking since the Wiiu days, I would like to voice my appreciation to all those that have been contributing for so long, these threads over the years have taught me so much and have helped continue my interest in tech/computing. Happy 1001 pages hopefully we get a reveal soon.
Since the Wii U days! 😳 I remember being OBSSESSED with Project NX, hahahahah

I mean, that still is a bad situation, considering the Switch's declining sales; it would be a Wii to Wii U transition all over again and Nintendo is trying to avoid that.
Exactly. Switch is selling good, but not “it can keep at its own” good. And every time the Switch’s sales decline, they release a revision. But in this case, they can’t release a revision this late in the lifecycle. A successor is overdue.

Do you mean this video titled 'The Fake Switch 2 Leaks Keep Happening...' ?

He's saying it's a huge hoax, and does refer to the Famiboards post by the hoaxer

A foldable Switch is something I really think would cost $499. If it releases as the Switch a couple of years from now, I can definitely See Nintendo using it as the main gimmick

A foldable Switch is something I really think would cost $499. If it releases as the Switch a couple of years from now, I can definitely See Nintendo using it as the main gimmick
A foldable switch would be... silly. Games would have to support two aspect ratios.. and support switching between those two ratios on the fly. That all sounds like a big headache for no real gain

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom