• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Whoa, hot take 🔥! I thought A Link Between Worlds was good.
A Link Between Worlds is arguably my favorite 3DS game. Definitely my favorite Zelda between The Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild. My only cons are:
  1. The art style (should have went with toon style if not committing to full A Link to the Past style).
  2. Narratively, Hilda should have been the final boss.
And I’d love to see a more linear OoT style or Wind Waker sequel tackles with the next gen hardware. Maybe incorporate the non-linear item system of ALBW with the world and structure of WW. They could do some awesome next gen stuff with the water, waves, wind, and storms.
Yes, absolutely. After getting to Hyrule Castle in The Wind Waker, I always wanted a true sequel where the overworld is mostly land. There hasn’t been a traditional style Zelda since Twilight Princess so I feel like we’re due for one.

While the Switch would be a good device to do that for, I don't think they should.

It might actually be the first time to experiment with a 3D Four Swords game as the technology is now up to part to do that. That'd probably be hard to do, but who knows, it might be fun.
I don't see why they shouldn't. even a 3D Four Swords has been doable since the DS, so technology has never been a problem

Generation is about power and release date and game library. The switch is part of the same gen as wii u becasue it has most of the same games, is not much more powerful, AND only launched 5 years after the wii u... at the same time xbox and playstation were launching their PRO versions. The switch is basically a wii u PRO when you look at it that way.

I would argue that the PS5 and XBOX series-whatever feel more like PRO versions of the PRO models, but they have released long enough after the original PS4 and XB1 that they are definitely 9th gen. Switch... not so much.
That seems arbitrary. What takes priority when defining console gens power, game library or time between Successors? What gen would the Series S be then 9th or 10th? What about the series X? What if the Switch was weaker but released 7 years after the Wiiu what then? And the PS5 and PS4 shares a lot of Crossgen games is it still 10th gen?

Well personally I don't see them charging over $400 because then you get into the conversation of "why should I buy this when I can get a stronger PS5 for the same price?" and if their offerings are not up to par, there's more things for consumers to question
The Switch launched at the same price as the PS4 Slim. I don't expect them to charge over $400 either, though.

Generation is about power and release date and game library. The switch is part of the same gen as wii u becasue it has most of the same games, is not much more powerful, AND only launched 5 years after the wii u... at the same time xbox and playstation were launching their PRO versions. The switch is basically a wii u PRO when you look at it that way.

I would argue that the PS5 and XBOX series-whatever feel more like PRO versions of the PRO models, but they have released long enough after the original PS4 and XB1 that they are definitely 9th gen. Switch... not so much.
The Dreamcast launched 4 years after the Saturn (and 3 years before the Xbox and GC), yet no one considers it a 5th gen console.
The power jump from GameCube to Wii was much less substantial than Wii U to Switch, yet no one considers the Wii a 6th gen console.
To have most of the same games (it doesn't) like an actual Pro version, the Switch would have to play the exact same type of media as the Wii U, which it doesn't. "It has ports and remasters from the previous console" is actually a counter-argument for the Switch being part of the same generation.

The rules are being applied inconsistently, and it mostly has to do with some people not liking the idea of a weak tablet kicking off the next generation of hardware instead of 'real' consoles like PS and Xbox.

The problem with that argument is that it doesn't really make much sense when you apply the Switch [REDACTED] to the conversation. Would you call the Switch's successor a 10th gen device?
It's not really that... logical imo. I saw the Switch more as a second attempt at the 8th gen by Nintendo. A Gen 8b device if you will.
Regardless, it's not really worth apply logic to this debate as it's just very strange as they come. I'll call the Switch a Gen 8 device simply because it was released between the PS4 and PS5 launches but closer aligns with the PS4 in terms of hardware.

This seems like a preference thing though.
Like I said before, the Wikipedia generations just aren't a good way to categorize consoles. There are certain periods of time it works okay for, but we haven't been in one for some time now, and that's unlikely to change anytime soon. It's better to just abandon the numbered generations and just refer to the consoles as explicit groups.

I think they will go back to a more traditional 3d zelda after totk.
I think the next Legend of Zelda game after Tears of the Kingdom will be like Breath of the Wild, but more focused on traditional elements. Unless, of course, BOTW is the new standard, which I doubt.

They have shown that they can still sell old-style zelda games at full price like with link's awakening and skyward sword.
Although I get your point, those two are respectively remake and HD Remaster. There’s an apetite for traditional Zelda, but they may leave it in the vein of remakes and remasters. They can still release Oracle remakes and re-release the WW and TP HD Remaster.

I think botw-style is different enough from the old OOT formula that they can have all 3 styles going on at once.
My sentiments exactly.

Maybe part of the reason TOTK took so long to develop is becasue they are also working on a Drake zelda at the same time...
According to leaks and speculation, TOTK was meant to release before the pandemic. It makes sense. Two years after BOTW was enough time using an already existing engine and assets. But they delayed it and I presume they took the chance to add stuff to it. To the point that they had to further delay it.

I’ve been wondering if a similar thing is happening, especially since some of Grezzo’s hiring seemed to imply they were doing more Zeldas.

At one point wasn’t there two separate Zelda teams: one for console and one for handhelds? Do we know whatever happen to the A Link Between World team? Did they just get folded into the BotW team or were there working on the Zelda mobile game that got canceled? Or maybe they’ve been working with Grezzo?
Operationally, Nintendo merged their Home and Handheld dev departments, so I presume they’re still around.

—————

Re: Switch 2 price:
• Remember that the Switch is a hybrid console. They’re gonna sell it at whatever price because portability is a premium selling point for Nintendo. It’s like a PS4, sure, but portable.

Because they don't even have it as an OPTION on switch even though homebrew proves it is 100% possible.#

Drake is not going to have terabytes of built-in storage. forcing people to download games basically means that they are also forcing people to pay for sd cards, which is basically what game cartriges are. It just doesn't make sense to force all of that extra spending and inconvenience on everyone just for the sake of slightly quicker loading. Switch games already load quick anyway, and the bottleneck is the switch HARDWARE, not the cartriges themselves

60 MB/s (the Switch cart transfer rate) kind of sucks, lol. The PS4's horrible HDD hit 80 MB/s.

I was thinking 256-512 GBs of UFS 4.0 storage to install the games to.

That seems arbitrary. What takes priority when defining console gens power, game library or time between Successors? What gen would the Series S be then 9th or 10th? What about the series X? What if the Switch was weaker but released 7 years after the Wiiu what then? And the PS5 and PS4 shares a lot of Crossgen games is it still 10th gen?
Of course it's arbitrary... life is chaos, by nature. Rules always have exceptions... the groupings we make as humans are just patterns, never absolute 🤷‍♂️

I don’t think there’s much discrepancy in image quality between TotK trailers and the gameplay demonstration that can’t be explained by capturing gameplay from certain angles with certain lighting/time of day. Or cutscenes. Even in BotW the weather, lighting, and camera angles make a big difference in the visual appeal of a given environment. Add in the compression on the YouTube gameplay video being even more atrocious than usual and there’s no big mystery. The visual difference will be minor once we’re playing the game.

60 MB/s (the Switch cart transfer rate) kind of sucks, lol. The PS4's horrible HDD hit 80 MB/s.

I was thinking 256-512 GBs of UFS 4.0 storage to install the games to.
Well there's nothing stopping them from making Drake cartriges faster than switch ones. They are basically just sd cards but shaped different, I think

Re: Switch 2 price:
• Remember that the Switch is a hybrid console. They’re gonna sell it at whatever price because portability is a premium selling point for Nintendo. It’s like a PS4, sure, but portable.
Yeah people forget that handheld stuff will always cost more than the same tech in a big box. Drake will probably cost more than the XBOX series s if it is going to basically be a portable version of it

Well personally I don't see them charging over $400 because then you get into the conversation of "why should I buy this when I can get a stronger PS5 for the same price?" and if their offerings are not up to par, there's more things for consumers to question

And after the success the Switch had I do not see a compelling reason for them to suddenly care about chasing parity or even getting close to the other two in terms of power. I would rather expect the bare minimum and be pleasantly surprised with more rather than act like it's a locked and loaded guarantee that Nintendo is going to give us a portable PS4 Pro

While this could be the case, realistically what would this do for a game like TOTK if it was built for the switch for the last 5 years?
A few people have brought up the idea that a PS5 has more value if a Switch’s successor is priced similarly, because it has more raw power, but that’s questionable. One can’t play a PS5 anywhere, and your ability to complete its games depends on how long you’re willing to be tethered to a wall, not experiencing a power cut, then some might say needing PSVR2 for the complete PS experience. More than that, even, if there’s any truth to the whispers in this thread. Then there are questions of power consumption and energy efficiency, which would surely matter in households in the midst of a cost of living crisis. After that, it’s about access to exclusives and the library’s depth. The current Switch has more games available on it than the PS4, a cheaper online service, and they’ll be backwards compatible on its successor from launch. So, perhaps people will see value in those other things, OR determine that the point of entry for the complete Switch experience is much lower than the PS5’s. It’s no longer about raw power. It’s about the SoC design, scalability, and smarter engineering. If it isn’t already, this will become more apparent.

Nintendo aren’t averse to the idea of a high-performance console, and never have been - they didn’t align themselves with the leading graphics processing company in the world to make backwards-thinking, unambitious hardware. I’ve put it to this board time and time again that the PS5 is irrelevant because the true performance thresholds are the XSS for home consoles, and Steam Deck or Apple’s M1 chip for portable SoCs. That’s where a prospective successor really needs to be. We know that the leaked GPU is better than the one in XSS, so, that’s an encouraging start, AND it will have hardware-specific advantages over each of those, as well as the PS5 and XSX. It will be better than PS4 Pro and XBox One X by virtue of having the better CPU, more modern architecture, RT and DLSS facilities. Even if they’re not competing with PS/XBox directly, they’re still operating in mobile/portable spaces, and tech has been rising rapidly there - One reason why the 3DS was a failure relative to its predecessor is that the iPad, iPhone 4 and 4th Gen iPod Touch released a year earlier, and people had seen what was possible in mobile tech. Nintendo were also embarrassingly late to the Minecraft party, for example, and as good as the 3DS library was, it wasn’t THE definitive portable experience of its time. 3D Without Glasses didn’t have the same pull. Ocarina Of Time 3D and “More N64 ports” did not have the same impression in 2011 as in 2004 with Super Mario 64 DS. Adopting a similar approach will not lead to growth or positive results, so, THAT is why they care. There’s also the fact that there is no 3DS to help them weather a Wii U-esque storm, and having some more performance on board would mean less development time and money spent on creating nip-and-tuck solutions to mask hardware limitations.

So, we CAN identify common interests in the productivity boost that would happen as a result of more available resources - That will be important in maintaining prolific software momentum, especially when the well of ports runs dry. It must be fit for a generational purpose.

... I mean, the thing stopping them is probably that they don't want to spend a ton of money on individual carts?
It shouldn't cost them much more money than the current switch cartriges. Especially if they are just the same design but faster.

I just don't see why you want them to force people to waste space. If it's an option, then fine, but it shouldn't be forced

Cool so console gens can be whatever we want them to be 🤔. Which makes Console gen discussion pointless and confusing.
Yeah. It causes a lot less arguments to just go with whatever the majority decides, and the majority has decided that switch is gen 8.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, it's just a silly number that doesn't mean anything 🤷‍♂️

I don't think that it matters to know which generation the switch out its successor belongs to. It's not even a full home console nor a full portable.

The switch is the first generation of hybrid consoles. The successor will be the second.

I feel like the gen numeration discussion has been semantic and misses a point: Nintendo doesn’t care.
Nintendo doesn't care, I don't care - the only people that care are people who can't live withought everything being categorised and organised. Embrace the chaos, I say ;)

Dwc5Dm9.png

I didn't want to keep derailing this thread, but this is the worst take on this debate.
There's a clear difference between PS4 Pro which played exactly the same games, had the same name and was sold at the same time as PS4, and Switch which released after Wii U was discontinued, can't play Wii U games without porting and is a completely separate system in terms of concept and features.
And no, Switch doesn't have "most of the same games" as Wii U.

Operationally, Nintendo merged their Home and Handheld dev departments, so I presume they’re still around.

At one point wasn’t there two separate Zelda teams: one for console and one for handhelds? Do we know whatever happen to the A Link Between World team? Did they just get folded into the BotW team or were there working on the Zelda mobile game that got canceled? Or maybe they’ve been working with Grezzo?
There were not two Zelda teams. Operationally, there was Aonuma, who produced all Zelda titles, and all Zelda games developed in house, 2D or 3D, pulled from the staff of EAD 3. Some folks worked on both kinds of games, some staff only worked on one or the other. When EAD was reorganized into EPD, EPD 3 became "The Zelda Team" which is still run by Aonuma. All of the significant staff of Link Between Worlds are still at Nintendo, and some are still in EPD3, mostly that games graphic design staff. Most of the high level staff also worked on Animal Crossing, and went to EPD 5, which does AC and Splatoon, instead of Zelda, and a few went to EPD 10, who does Pikmin and 2D Mario.

Well personally I don't see them charging over $400 because then you get into the conversation of "why should I buy this when I can get a stronger PS5 for the same price?"
Nah. If you're asking this question, you would likely still get the PS5, even if its more expensive.

The new Switch will target the same 100 million and growing public which bought $300+ hybrids despite the stronger PS4S/X1S and way stronger XSS costing the same if not less.

It's about time to understand that there are a lot of people who accepts compromising power for portability and the tendency is for that adience to grow because of diminished returns and newer generations growing up spending their free time on phones instead of TVs.

Does anyone remember if it was ever confirmed that Nintendo ordered a stockpile of Tegra X1 SOC's because they were going to stop production of that chip last year sometime? I ran across a claim made in the middle of 2022 that Nintendo had stockpiled 30 million X1's and that was intended to carry them through the remainder of the Switch's life. If true, this would make sense that Nintendo would find this to be a sufficient number X1's to finish out the life of the Switch assuming they have a successor targeting a 2023 release. Once Redacted is released, Switch sales will taper off pretty dramatically. I would expect them to drop to 5-10 million at best. However, as long as there is no successor coming anytime soon, that stockpile of 30 million X1's might struggle to fulfill demand for the remainder of Switch's life.

For me, the next step concerning a 2D Zelda game would be a Zelda farming. I mean... I think it's kind of the game where there's room for farming like Stardew Valley. Obviously more focused on the action unlike other relaxing farming games.
Imagine for instance you need to eat food to recover your health; if you don't you stay at 1 heart container as minimum, so anything could kill you. And there are many dungeon across the kingdom where you can get items to farm and fight.

Somehow, I believe it's the farming concept used in many games is ideal for a Zelda game. Specially a 2D Zelda.

fun fact: about the 3ds there was a rumor that it would use tegra technology

For me, the next step concerning a 2D Zelda game would be a Zelda farming. I mean... I think it's kind of the game where there's room for farming like Stardew Valley. Obviously more focused on the action unlike other relaxing farming games.
Imagine for instance you need to eat food to recover your health; if you don't you stay at 1 heart container as minimum, so anything could kill you. And there are many dungeon across the kingdom where you can get items to farm and fight.

Somehow, I believe it's the farming concept used in many games is ideal for a Zelda game. Specially a 2D Zelda.
Sounds tedious.

Sounds tedious.
It could be automatic. I mean... the only thing you would need is to farm and make (craft) the recipes. Once it's in your inventory, your health keep stable. But if you ran out of food, you lose hearts until one. It's just an example of how you can use farming concepts in Zelda.

If you think of it, it wouldn't be very different from what we have already had. I mean, we had a shovel in 2D Zeldas. You even could cut the grass and pick fruits in certain places. Not the main point of the game, of course. But it wouldn't be something completely crazy.

Tbh, not a bad idea.

For me, I'd actually like if there was a Zelda game that took a crack at something like Hades. A single dungeon that you have to beat. You could have each floor be a puzzle, combat encounter or boss. The overworld could be filled with that farming-sim idea. You could bring companions into the dungeon that will leave if they die. Hell, you could probably bring back previous game's items for combat or exploration or smth like that. Idk. I'm a big fan of games where the main task is almost Sisyphus' task in nature. An insurmountable obstacle that, when you beat it, feels amazing.

I didn't want to keep derailing this thread, but this is the worst take on this debate.
There's a clear difference between PS4 Pro which played exactly the same games, had the same name and was sold at the same time as PS4, and Switch which released after Wii U was discontinued, can't play Wii U games without porting and is a completely separate system in terms of concept and features.
And no, Switch doesn't have "most of the same games" as Wii U.

The switch launched 5 years after the wii u... at the same time xbox and playstation were launching their PRO versions. The switch is basically a wii u PRO when you look at it that way.
I meant it filled the slot of the wii u pro in terms of having a more powerful system launched halfway through the generation... from a purely financial standpoint

anyway, my actual take on the debate is that the debate is not worth having. The switch is 8th gen - not because of any actual reason, but because most people have decided that it is. Nobody is right or wrong, and in the end it doesn't even matter

Tbh, not a bad idea.

For me, I'd actually like if there was a Zelda game that took a crack at something like Hades. A single dungeon that you have to beat. You could have each floor be a puzzle, combat encounter or boss. The overworld could be filled with that farming-sim idea. You could bring companions into the dungeon that will leave if they die. Hell, you could probably bring back previous game's items for combat or exploration or smth like that. Idk. I'm a big fan of games where the main task is almost Sisyphus' task in nature. An insurmountable obstacle that, when you beat it, feels amazing.
That sounds like a spinoff Zelda game, like Cadence of Hyrule

sounds more like it would work better as a cadence of hyrule than a proper next 2d zelda. I agree with Arlo when he says that he misses normal, non-gimmick, non-nostalgia 2D zelda

Does anyone remember if it was ever confirmed that Nintendo ordered a stockpile of Tegra X1 SOC's because they were going to stop production of that chip last year sometime? I ran across a claim made in the middle of 2022 that Nintendo had stockpiled 30 million X1's and that was intended to carry them through the remainder of the Switch's life. If true, this would make sense that Nintendo would find this to be a sufficient number X1's to finish out the life of the Switch assuming they have a successor targeting a 2023 release. Once Redacted is released, Switch sales will taper off pretty dramatically. I would expect them to drop to 5-10 million at best. However, as long as there is no successor coming anytime soon, that stockpile of 30 million X1's might struggle to fulfill demand for the remainder of Switch's life.
I think NIVIDIA stopped making the x1 in 2021. There was also this report of nintendo increasing production this year, which might mean they realised it was cheaper to stockpile fully assembled consoles than to stockpile the seperate parts. because they also kept it vague though, they might also be including Drake units in that, if drake is technically still a switch

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...fy-industry-forecasts?leadSource=uverify wall

I have little faith on EA after all these years, and while a Switch Frostbite FIFA EA Sports FC is more than feasible, and they don't even have the opportunity to blame low sales for not investing to have it, I expect them to ditch the Legacy moniker, as this is a “brand new” entry, but release EA Sports FC in Switch with updated roster and kits, revamped UI with new brand identity, but being the same FIFA 19 under the hood.

Now, what about Drake? I am sure they will be there with it, so depending on its final release, could we have an Ignite game version for Switch and a Frostbite one for Drake?

FWIW (just wanted to share one more point of reference), this was how Nintendo and Xbox tweeted after MLB The Show went multiplatform:

Kinda felt like sharing just because of how vague the wording is in both the MLB The Show and EA FC announcements.

Another FWIW, PS5 and XSX rendered MLB The Show 21 at 4K60 while Series S targets 1080p60.
The series got ported to Xbox consoles first at 2021 and the first MLB The Show Switch port was released last year. It had dynamic resolution from 720p to 756p on docked (ofc lowered res on handheld), feature parity with other consoles except for the stadium creator that's only available in PS5/XSX, and it has unlocked framerate with the floor being ~30 FPS in gameplay segments. The video I linked in the previous sentence goes into the detail of the graphical differences with other consoles and here's a loading time + graphics comparison for MLB The Show 23 with Switch, PS4, and PS5.

Last edited:
The TX1 (Erista) ended production, but not the TX1+ (Mariko), which is the chip used by all currently sold Switches.

I remember that story, and seeing lots of people repeat it as if it was fact. But I think rumour only came out once and I never saw any corroborating stories. And when I last looked at TSMCs site a few months ago they were still marketing 16nm fabs.

The problem with that argument is that it doesn't really make much sense when you apply the Switch [REDACTED] to the conversation. Would you call the Switch's successor a 10th gen device?
I don't see why not, considering it its core, it's a portable just like Switch and 3DS before it.
It's not really that... logical imo. I saw the Switch more as a second attempt at the 8th gen by Nintendo. A Gen 8b device if you will.
Regardless, it's not really worth apply logic to this debate as it's just very strange as they come. I'll call the Switch a Gen 8 device simply because it was released between the PS4 and PS5 launches but closer aligns with the PS4 in terms of hardware.

This seems like a preference thing though.
A second attempt at 8th gen because... of the Wii U, even though Switch is by all accounts, a portable? I mean, we know based on the leaks that the Switch was planned from the beginning to be a 3DS successor, having docking, being weaker than Wii U, etc. Over time, some things got cut out, others improved, etc, but we still got what was basically a portable. If we got what it was originally planned to be, would folks have considered it 9th-gen?

I don't understand the meaning of it being closer aligned to PS4 in terms of hardware to mark it as 8th-gen. We see the 3DS, releasing between the PS3 and PS4, yet it is set in the same gen as PS4. Is that also aligned with PS4 in terms of hardware?

I don't think of the Switch as a home console, even if I use it as such. To me, it's a portable with a docking accessory, releasing 6 years after the 3DS, which is roughly the average console generation lifespan. The "hybrid" nature of the Switch is just a convenient way for a portable to play on the TV without having to mess with cables each time.

I don’t think there’s much discrepancy in image quality between TotK trailers and the gameplay demonstration that can’t be explained by capturing gameplay from certain angles with certain lighting/time of day. Or cutscenes. Even in BotW the weather, lighting, and camera angles make a big difference in the visual appeal of a given environment. Add in the compression on the YouTube gameplay video being even more atrocious than usual and there’s no big mystery. The visual difference will be minor once we’re playing the game.
Yeah, I pretty much doubt Nintendo would randomly show Drake footage like that

It might not have been drake footage though... it could have just been running on a PC or switch devkit. I agree with what DF said about the noisy looking shadows and the aliasing in the new footage tgat isn't in the old footage...

And after the success the Switch had I do not see a compelling reason for them to suddenly care about chasing parity or even getting close to the other two in terms of power. I would rather expect the bare minimum and be pleasantly surprised with more rather than act like it's a locked and loaded guarantee that Nintendo is going to give us a portable PS4 Pro
If they wanted to have a Wii U to Switch size jump, they could literally just clock up that TX1 and add some more RAM. They're definitely doing more than that. DS was as big a success as Switch versus its own higher powered competition, but that didn't make them sleep on 3DS hardware.

Even if Nintendo themselves would be fine having a very small increase, they wouldn't be fine losing so many releases when multiplatform from PC/PS/XB becomes too miracle to bother with.

Considering that we're pretty sure Drake didn't take out till Spring last year, I'm not sure they could show Drake footage if they wanted to.

I'm fairly certain it was a PC build, in development, which is much easier to capture footage from, and just happened because of that to max out dynamic res.

Considering that we're pretty sure Drake didn't take out till Spring last year, I'm not sure they could show Drake footage if they wanted to.

I'm fairly certain it was a PC build, in development, which is much easier to capture footage from, and just happened because of that to max out dynamic res.
They might have been able to show drake footage by using some kind of prototype drake devkit. If it is coming out this year, they've probably been working on games for it for years

I think the point that digital foundry made was that the original footage looked max-er than max resolution... like it had no aliasing at all, and I think I agree. It looks way too clean compared to even botw ar 1080p with FXAA like on cemu

It's a 1080p vidoe, but super sampled from a higher resolution than that. And I think we have seen nintendo render a game at higher than 1080p for marketing before... wasn't there an animal crossing screenshot that was in 4K that they used on some website or something?

FWIW (just wanted to share one more point of reference), this was how Nintendo and Xbox tweeted after MLB The Show went multiplatform:

Kinda felt like sharing just because of how vague the wording is in both the MLB The Show and EA FC announcements.

Another FWIW, PS5 and XSX rendered MLB The Show 21 at 4K60 while Series S targets 1080p60.
The series got ported to Xbox consoles first at 2021 and the first MLB The Show Switch port was released last year. It had dynamic resolution from 720p to 756p on docked (ofc lowered res on handheld), feature parity with other consoles except for the stadium creator that's only available in PS5/XSX, and it has unlocked framerate with the floor being ~30 FPS in gameplay segments. The video I linked in the previous sentence goes into the detail of the graphical differences with other consoles and here's a loading time + graphics comparison for MLB The Show 23 with Switch, PS4, and PS5.

As i know the port of the recent MLB entry runs better on switch.

there's a fear that NIntendo won't get FC? these aren't new new games, it's just a rebranding. Switch will still get legacy games, just with the new name

there's a fear that NIntendo won't get FC? these aren't new new games, it's just a rebranding. Switch will still get legacy games, just with the new name
I think it's more like they might get the full version, if drake launches this year. It is a bit strange for them to make a tweet if it is just going to be another legacy version...

The MLB game is not a legacy version, and they tweeted about it... theyve never tweeted about a new lecagy version apart from the free demo they just did

It's not. If you pause it and use the . key to go frame by frame you can see it takes two presses to get to each new frame.

I think if they showed the game running at 60fps then it would instantly tell everyone that SOMETHING is up. I think even if they do have a 60fps version of rthe game, then they would edit the video to still only be 30fps because they know people would get suspicious
I said it "feels" like above 30 fps. If you set your video to at least 720p60, it looks so smooth. Compares to BOTW which is choppy.

I think it's more like they might get the full version, if drake launches this year. It is a bit strange for them to make a tweet if it is just going to be another legacy version...

The MLB game is not a legacy version, and they tweeted about it... theyve never tweeted about a new lecagy version apart from the free demo they just did
That's because they are rebranding the game. It's of EA and manufacturers interest that everyone buying FIFA games know to look for "EA Sports FC 24" instead of "FIFA 24" when buying their next soccer game, so they're marketing the game more than usual.

The first Switch version of FIFA was already based on an years older version (from before the frostbit migration). But it was only when they didn't change absolutely anything besides roster that they started putting the "Legacy Version" label. If they remove the label, it just means it's more than a roster update, not that Nintendo will get parity with other consoles.

You guys think Nintendo has a new Mario game ready to capitalize off the success of the movie?
All the Mario games already on the Switch are the beneficiaries of the movie’s success. Otherwise if it happens then great, if not then I don’t think they are sweating it. Increasing game sales isn’t the primary concern with the movie.

I think they will go back to a more traditional 3d zelda after totk. They have shown that they can still sell old-style zelda games at full price like with link's awakening and skyward sword. I think botw-style is different enough from the old OOT formula that they can have all 3 styles going on at once. Just look at Mario, how they made that chart describing how course clear mario is different from sandbox mario.

I think if they made a new traditional zelda using the power of Drake, it would sell well and probably be easier and quicker to make than a new botw-style zelda with a new world. Maybe part of the reason TOTK took so long to develop is becasue they are also working on a Drake zelda at the same time...
I'd be thrilled if Nintendo made both unreleased Zelda 2D, regular Zelda 3D and open world Zelda games coexist in the same way that New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Osyssey coexist in the same game library. I'd love to see some new games, but even a Link's Awakening-style remaster of the Oracles games and real N64 Zelda remakes would be enough to satisfy me completely.

fun fact: about the 3ds there was a rumor that it would use tegra technology
as far as i remember it wasnt a rumor, nvidia just could not deliver on time and nintendo decided for a different route. Wasnt it confirmed in the megaleak?

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom