• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Sorry, I went back and edited my post before I saw you responded, but I went ahead and found and listed the ways in which it's better and I'm not sure how it wasn't better "as a whole" with all those things. In what way do you mean "as a whole" if the specs were better and the games ran better?
The specs weren't better, though, and games did not automatically run better. It's like how the PS3 was 'better' than the 360: in theory, yes, but in practice, no.

It's not like how the PS4 is directly better than the PS3, or even how the Switch is directly better than the Wii U.

Oh wow we're 5 pages away from 1k. Can't wait for somebody to drop a tidbit about REDACTED to celebrate.

In all seriousness though, it's crazy that we're almost at 1k pages already.

There is no handheld that can provide the value that Nintendo will be able to. Valve will be the closest, but they intentionally suppress their output in addition to being a general pc rather than a dedicated system. All these other handheld pcs suffer the same issue but worse because they have to make money on hardware. The Sony handheld will be an expensive ps5 accessory first and won't get its own games.

There's no relevant competition other than Nintendo fucking up.
I agree with what you say, but to play devil's advocate, the GameCube was a failure despite very honorable hardware for its time AND very great games, including major third party exclusives a new Zelda day one and a sandbox 3D Mario early in its life cycle. Nintendo did it right. The Wii U had none of that. And yet the Gamecube was also a commercial failure.

Quoted by: D36
It didn't NECESSARILY run games better, since the CPU was slower (better in other ways, but slow). It did have a lot more juice on hand.

Now [REDACTED] is no less than SIX Nintendo Switches, likely more. It's one of Nintendo's largest generational leaps in pure compute.
This is what I was trying to say.

Only difference is I criticised a Nintendo product, so I get raked over the coals.

64 GB eMMC in 2023-2025 would be fucking awful, lol.

The Switch's biggest problems are

1. IQ
2. Load times

Would not be a huge fan of Nintendo just deciding to not care about load times when there's an option available (UFS 3.0 storage that people are required to install to) that would massively cut them.

When you talk about creative ambitions again I'm not sure what ambitions we've seen stifled within Nintendo's first party. The issues that have popped up recently could definitely be remedied with tech on the level of the deck and there's no reason to believe there would be another massive leap in fidelity between what we've seen the last few generational transitions. I don't think theres any reason to suggest Nintendo's jump in capability from Switch to Switch 2 fidelity will be greater in comparison to what we saw from the Wii U to Switch jump.

Pokémon seems to be the exception rather than the rule, and the reasoning is not exclusively hardware related as GF is a big component here.
Wii U to Switch offered some additional power and capability, but it was a fairly lateral move, with the biggest gains going to efficiency. Switch to Switch 2 is going to be much more of a straightforward upgrade, and I think exclusive titles will probably reflect that.
The Wikipedia generation numbers are absolutely meaningless and exist in violation of Wikipedia's own policies on original research. The exact generation they assign to the Switch is not only meaningless, but a highly contentious subject, precisely because it can't be neatly categorized. Cross platform numbered generations are a fundamentally flawed lens the view the history of consoles through, and we're best off leaving them behind.

Exact comparisons between Wii U and PS360 are very complicated, especially due to the CPU idiosyncrasies of the latter (yes, the 360 CPU was weird too, just less so).

64 GB eMMC in 2023-2025 would be fucking awful, lol.

The Switch's biggest problems are

1. IQ
2. Load times

Would not be a huge fan of Nintendo just deciding to not care about load times when there's an option available (UFS 3.0 storage that people are required to install to) that would massively cut them.
Required installs are not happening.

If nintendo were to announce a Switch 2 Presentation for September just like the one from January 2017, what games would you realistically want to see?
A Dragon Ball game to come out the same day as other consoles for once. Oh and a 4K patch for Fortnite and Project DIVA Mega Mix and picross

I agree with what you say, but to play devil's advocate, the GameCube was a failure despite very honorable hardware for its time AND very great games, including major third party exclusives a new Zelda day one and a sandbox 3D Mario early in its life cycle. Nintendo did it right. The Wii U had none of that. And yet the Gamecube was also a commercial failure.
The GameCube had compact discs, which made bringing third-party games over to be a hassle, in simple terms. Just like how the N64 used cartridges instead of CD's. The PS2 also had the advantage of being a device that can play music and movies, as well as games during a time when CD and DVD players were far more expensive.

Back on the subject of cost for the system, it will be interesting to see if Nintendo factor in the currently weak JPY into their pricing structure.

The ZOLED is $311 equivalent in Japan as of today, just for reference. US price is $360.

The specs weren't better, though, and games did not automatically run better. It's like how the PS3 was 'better' than the 360: in theory, yes, but in practice, no.

It's not like how the PS4 is directly better than the PS3, or even how the Switch is directly better than the Wii U.
I mean.. I just listed the ways in which the specs were better so.. maybe show me how they weren't?

And if all the reviews I read about the ways in which games did run better were all wrong across multiple games then okay, I can't go back ten years and find where I read all that but I remember reading about a lot of very specific ways in which games were performing better on the WiiU. Which again, lines up with the specs I found that show the WiiU above the 360 in several ways so... 🤷‍♂️

Like seriously, I'd genuinely like to see what specs you're referring to that were worse because unless the multiple articles I pulled my numbers from are all wrong then it kinda sounds like you're just "nuh-uh"ing me.

Wii U to Switch offered some additional power and capability, but it was a fairly lateral move, with the biggest gains going to efficiency. Switch to Switch 2 is going to be much more of a straightforward upgrade, and I think exclusive titles will probably reflect that.

The Wikipedia generation numbers are absolutely meaningless

The generation number itself doesn't matter, the point is that the Switch and Wii U are similarly specced enough and contemporary enough to each other that they can be considered part of the same generation.

The 360 was not at all spectacular (even before you consider that... 1/3 broke...) and the WiiU and Switch stomp all over it.

256MB of RAM, no out of order instructions, lmao.

The generation number itself doesn't matter, the point is that the Switch and Wii U are similarly specced enough and contemporary enough to each other that they can be considered part of the same generation.
It is precisely the fact that Switch and Wii U are considered to be of the same generation that exposes the absurdity of the system. It's an ugly hack to attempt to resolve the fact that Nintendo's generations aren't in sync with Sony and Microsoft.

generation is meaningless. it holds no value to anyone trying to make a comparison

What are you smoking?!

The Switch is in the same technological generation as the Wii U! It's only just slightly more powerful than a console that wasn't even on par with the Xbox 360!
The Wii U was on a 45nm process node, running a GPU with Radeon's Terascale architecture, at 176/352 GFLOPS (full/half precision).

The Switch is a 20nm process node, running a GPU with Nvidia's Maxwell architecture, at 393 GFLOPS (full/half precision are the same).

Xbox 360 was a 65nm process node, running a pre-AMD ATI architecture, 120/240 GFLOPS

In every way is the Switch in a different technological generation from the Wii U, including variable rate shading, tiled rendering, a far more advanced process node and more raw performance. And the Wii U was itself architecturally well beyond the 360, with it being the first of AMDs unified shader architectures, over the earlier ATI design, and out performed the 360 as well.

The next console from Nintendo is going to be the single biggest generational leap we've seen in recent memory. The Switch is so woefully underpowered that it's impossible for that to not be the case.
T239 is 6x-8x as powerful as TX1 in the GPU, and runs Ampere, a GPU arch from 2020. TX1 runs a GPU arch from 2014

The Xbox Series X is 9x as powerful as the Xbox one, and runs, RDNA 2 a GPU arch from 2020, and the Xbone was GCN, an arch from 2012.

@NintendoPrime has put a video up about that Hawk rumour today, wasn't that debunked as massively fake already?
I deleted the video. Should know better to always check here and never trust the big media. Also tired of gruff from some that I only make videos for money. The moment I found out it was misinformation I deleted it. Even though it was performing well.

Not about that noise. Not letting big media own my ass.

I think you're taking these disagreements a little too personally.
Can you blame me, though? As soon as I say something kind-of-true-but-not-quite-entirely-true, people come out of the woodwork to dogpile me.

I feel like I have to explain every single aspect of everything I talk about otherwise people will come and "um actually" me about something I only mentioned in passing to refute something absurd that someone else said.

Can you blame me, though? As soon as I say something kind-of-true-but-not-quite-entirely-true, people come out of the woodwork to dogpile me.

I feel like I have to explain every single aspect of everything I talk about otherwise people will come and "um actually" me about something I only mentioned in passing to refute something absurd that someone else said.
when you argue from bad faith, that tends to happen

Your posts in this thread show a clear disregard for the pinned staff communication, so you have been threadbanned for 2 weeks. Please refrain from antagonizing other members. - VD, BA, Josh, RM, totofogo
This is what I was trying to say.

Only difference is I criticised a Nintendo product, so I get raked over the coals.
I don't think you were raked over the coals, but you got a strong reaction because you opened with...
What are you smoking?!
...as if the OP was foolish for their statement, and then proceeded to say a bunch of technical stuff that wasn't in any way factual. Then you defended it by using a marketing term, while being the Hardware Thread, as if precision about technical details isn't the reason this thread exists or has been so successful in processing leaks and setting fan expectations.

No one criticizes Nintendo more than the folks in this thread, believe me

I mean, don't march in here and say provably wrong things? It's a thread rife with tech nerds, you're gonna get trounced.

T239 is 6x-8x as powerful as TX1 in the GPU, and runs Ampere, a GPU arch from 2020. TX1 runs a GPU arch from 2014

The Xbox Series X is 9x as powerful as the Xbox one, and runs, RDNA 2 a GPU arch from 2020, and the Xbone was GCN, an arch from 2012.

Those numbers are interesting and illustrate very well how important diminishing returns are becoming.

By reading that, one would assume that Drake would be even farther from the Series X than the Switch was to the Xbox1. Yet, if I understand well, everyone seems to expect that Drake will somehow bridge the gap with the big boy consoles and will be capable to receive the same games albeit with inferior visuals.

people will come and "um actually" me about something I only mentioned in passing to refute something absurd that someone else said.
All I did was respond to the idea that Switch 2 will 100% be a massive technical leap leading to much more ambitious games in that I didn't see how the two were correlated due to design tendencies in AAA plus my own belief that I just don't see Nintendo doing more than what's absolutely essential of them to not fail especially if it has worked remarkably well for them with the switch cycle.

I don't think that's an absurd read on it since not one single element of Nintendo, their strategy, or past moves is indicative of what happens next, but maybe it is I don't know. No need to get abrasive about it.

Please, take a break. Telling users to shut up because they point out that you're kinda being a jerk while also being wrong is not a good look. You were rude to someone else, then said a thing that was not at all true, and then landed on saying something that didn't in anyway match what a reasonable thread goer would assume you meant. I'm not saying you didn't mean it, but the onus to be polite and clear starts with you, here.

Why was the WiiU's OS so bad though.

What went wrong in the design process.

BotW having to unload the entire OS to work is one of those "what the fuck happened with this design"

50% of the RAM????
That's not really what's going on there. BotW appears to be taking advantage of memory that typically sits unused while a game is running in the foreground, at the cost of losing that data when it gets suspended and something actually needs that memory (forcing the game to pause and reload the data when it's unsuspended).

Well. Things are getting a little heated in here, so I’ll ask a totally unrelated question!

Again, back to the Mario Movie (I’m obsessed. 😛) The Mario universe hasn’t undergone a significant image change in well over 15 (probably 20) years. Is it possible that Drake, being 6x more powerful than the TX1, can make Mario games going forward look similar to the movie? I’m talking the advanced facial expressions/hair physics/etc. I suppose that’s a dumb question, since CGI cutscenes can basically be anything, but I’m wondering, besides resolution/draw distance/frame rate, how the next Mario can differentiate itself on Drake hardware from Odyssey.

Well. Things are getting a little heated in here, so I’ll ask a totally unrelated question!

Again, back to the Mario Movie (I’m obsessed. 😛) The Mario universe hasn’t undergone an image change in well over 15 (probably 20) years. Is it possible that Drake, being 6x more powerful than the TX1, can make Mario games going forward look similar to the movie? I’m talking the advanced facial expressions/hair physics/etc. I suppose that’s a dumb question, since CGI cutscenes can basically be anything, but I’m wondering, besides resolution/draw distance/frame rate, how the next Mario can differentiate itself on Drake hardware from Odyssey.

?

Galaxy > 3D World > Odyssey all have massively different visual styles.

Again, back to the Mario Movie (I’m obsessed. 😛) The Mario universe hasn’t undergone a significant image change in well over 15 (probably 20) years. Is it possible that Drake, being 6x more powerful than the TX1, can make Mario games going forward look similar to the movie? I’m talking the advanced facial expressions/hair physics/etc. I suppose that’s a dumb question, since CGI cutscenes can basically be anything, but I’m wondering, besides resolution/draw distance/frame rate, how the next Mario can differentiate itself on Drake hardware from Odyssey.
So, like taking the cartoony aesthetics to a whole nother level? Cuz I've been waiting on that for a while.

?

Galaxy > 3D World > Odyssey all have massively different visual styles.
I’m talking like, definitive. 64 > sunshine being the last huge one. Mario has had the same shape/characteristics for quite a while now. I really thought his image had peaked, then when I saw the facial expressions in the movie, I thought there was still some room for the image to grow besides a rez bump and/or more polygons.

I did have that thought while watching the movie yesterday. How amazing if you could play a Mario game with exactly the same level of visuals as this CG movie.

The GameCube had compact discs, which made bringing third-party games over to be a hassle, in simple terms. Just like how the N64 used cartridges instead of CD's. The PS2 also had the advantage of being a device that can play music and movies, as well as games during a time when CD and DVD players were far more expensive.
I don't know if the mini DVDs were as big a liability as the cartridges had been on N64. As you said, the Playstation 2's DVD drive was a gigantic selling point that crushed the competition. As much as people like Nintendo's licenses, they still didn't care. But that's more of a "Sony has a huge competitive advantage for their system" situation than a "Nintendo screwed up" situation, I think. My point is that nothing is a given even with the Switch's success. What the Switch did was prove that there was a demand, a big market. This will inevitably interest the competition.

If nintendo were to announce a Switch 2 Presentation for September just like the one from January 2017, what games would you realistically want to see?
From nintendo, Metroid Prime 4 and new games like Mario 3D, Mario Kart 9, Astral Chain 2, the new action game ip from Monolith and other surprises. And certain free patches for Zelda, pokemon, splatoon 3 and other games

From third partys, games like Metro Exodus, Cyberpunk 2077, Resident Evil 4, Valkyrie Elisium, KH4, DQ12, Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 (the first game crossgen port Switch-Drake), Call of Duty, more EA Sports Games, a new 3d plants vs zombies shooter, Red Dead Redemption 2 and other take two games, Diablo 4, etc

I do not think it's a coincidence that Miyamoto specifically called out Mario Movie DK (Which I love) Being the first redesign for the character in over 20 years especially with rumors of a new DK game and the verge of the Kongaissance hitting

First and foremost, I do not expect Nintendo to do a live press conference for Switch Redacted like they did for Switch. After the terrible messaging problem Nintendo had with the Wii U, they were very concerned about walking the consumer step by step on exactly what the Switch was and the features it included. With Switch being a well understood product, I do not see the need to do that this time. So I expect it to basically be a Nintendo Direct, even if they do not call it that. Nintendo hasn't aggressively marketed any of their devices based on its performance in a long time, but I do think that will be a key part of how they position Switch Redacted. I believe they will have partnered with a couple major third parties to bring over a few wildly popular games from the PlayStation/Xbox. Something like Eldin Ring and Cyber Punk. Even if COD wont be on Redacted at launch, showing a trailer for COD for Redacted would also be a big deal. I would finish up with a couple of big first party games such as the next 3D Mario. They could even start the whole thing by telling the viewer how much they appreciate the massive support for Zelda TotK and how they hope you have been enjoying it, and then inform them that they will get to play the game with upgraded visuals on Redacted with DLC launching early 2024.

When you talk about creative ambitions again I'm not sure what ambitions we've seen stifled within Nintendo's first party.
It's kinda hard to say one way or another, because if ambitions exist beyond what is currently feasible, we haven't seen them because they're not feasible.
I don't think theres any reason to suggest Nintendo's jump in capability from Switch to Switch 2 fidelity will be greater in comparison to what we saw from the Wii U to Switch jump.
Man that is setting the bar low. It may be touching the ground.
Then Nintendo will have to hope that first party and indie games are enough to make Redacted sell as well as its predecessor, which is entirely possible but it’s looking like Nintendo will be facing much more handheld competition than the switch did.
It is?
Those numbers are interesting and illustrate very well how important diminishing returns are becoming.

By reading that, one would assume that Drake would be even farther from the Series X than the Switch was to the Xbox1. Yet, if I understand well, everyone seems to expect that Drake will somehow bridge the gap with the big boy consoles and will be capable to receive the same games albeit with inferior visuals.
It probably is a bigger gap. But it doesn't tell the full story, since back in the day there was no "Xbox One Series S" with less than half the GPU power that all Xbox One games were built to work decently on.

Even tho I have somewhat low expectations for the Movie as a film, I would genuinely be thrilled to see the next game take the film’s aesthetics.

That said, the current Mario asset used in all the rest of the company’s promotional material doesn’t feel like it’s going away, and it’s basically what the games have been using for some time now with only a little variation.

Required installs are not happening.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Call of Duty on Nintendo hardware. Will MS force activision to stop their shitty mandatory downloads with deliberately bloated file sizes at least for versions on switch/redacted or will they continue the practice and blame Nintendo when it inevitably hinders sales?

Again, character models only. I’m not talking about draw distance, rez, or anything like that.
If they wanted to produce something that detailed they probably could get pretty close, but they'd probably consider it a waste of both development and system resources to do so in real-time when he'd so rarely be seen so front and center anyway. Model composed of several times as many polygons as any previous Mario model, definitely to be expected. More realistic hair physics, maybe. Better looking textures and depth effects for things like denim or the lettering on the hat, sure. Better self-shadowing, sure, though not at that level. Fabric bunching up as he moves is almost certainly a step too far.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Call of Duty on Nintendo hardware. Will MS force activision to stop their shitty mandatory downloads with deliberately bloated file sizes at least for versions on switch/redacted or will they continue the practice and blame Nintendo when it inevitably hinders sales?

The game is just full of high quality assets and a lot of content that aren't compressed, idk.

It's kinda hard to say one way or another, because if ambitions exist beyond what is currently feasible, we haven't seen them because they're not feasible.
In this case in relation to "ambition" the context I'm speaking to in the original post was specifically when I mentioned the wider AAA scene. I don't believe there's any experience I've seen on PS5 that couldn't be replicated on the Switch by just looking and running worse either majorly or severely lol. Maybe Rift Apart with the instant loading SSD portals? The point is Nintendo could theoretically make a game for switch that played like God of War if they wanted to it'd just be heavily stylized.
Man that is setting the bar low. It may be touching the ground.
Again this is just personal, but when Nintendo has seen this absurd level of success on the "underpowered when it launched" switch, idk what incentive they would have to make huge leaps for the second bout. May just be being cynical, I don't want to be, but it's my current expectation. I love the Switch so even a modest improvement with the same quality of titles would satisfy me.

If they wanted to produce something that detailed they probably could get pretty close, but they'd probably consider it a waste of both development and system resources to do so in real-time when he'd so rarely be seen so front and center anyway. Model composed of several times as many polygons as any previous Mario model, definitely to be expected. More realistic hair physics, maybe. Better looking textures and depth effects for things like denim or the lettering on the hat, sure. Better self-shadowing, sure, though not at that level. Fabric bunching up as he moves is almost certainly a step too far.
You’re right. I know most of this hypothetical game will be really zoomed out and from a 3rd person perspective. I’m having a hard time expressing what I’m thinking. Like the scene in the Mario movie, where Peach is schooling Mario in the training montage? The slowdown where she slides under a makeshift fireball. That character animation would look great (scaled back, of course), in a New Super Mario Bros -like 2D platformer. Every time Peach has to slide (new mechanic?) she would have a similar animation to the one in the movie.

Well I think I got my idea across. I guess time will tell. 🙂

EDIT: Found it!

If they could incorporate even half of the level of her character animations, especially in a 2D platformer, that would look truly next gen, IMO.

Last edited:
God of War is a very weird example in that it's an extremely basic game with extremely stripped down complexity to boost the visuals as much as possible. The environments are 2003 confined and there's 3-8 characters in the area at all times. There's almost no environmental interaction either.

Yes, the benefits to a new system are

1. Better visuals
2. Less pop-in
3. Hopefully faster load times
4. Better framerates and more NPC density (when constrained via a large world or very good graphics)

I would expect Zelda to hopefully have more stuff on screen in Open Air Zelda 3, but yes, people would like better visuals and would like better framerates for some of the larger environment games that struggled (like Bayonetta 3)

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom