• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Question 10 was just a shareholder hearing about gaming leaks and wondering what Nintendo is doing about them. Hence my dumb Pyoro joke.
It's actually about Kadokawa's servers being attacked by hackers, causing niconico to temporarily be unable to provide normal services, which in turn affected Direct's broadcast on the niconico platform. He wants to know what measures Nintendo has to protect their servers from similar incidents.
The insider on youtube is not pyoro's source.

Last edited:
Given there's only two new pages, i'd say there wasn't any mention or really anything about ReDraketed in the meeting.
As expected, after they talked in March.

Next up, hoping for an early September reveal before TGS.

With Zelda being a game with so much popularity nintendo is not going to change its PEGI, ESRB rating. They could try it on a non main adventure.
Darker doesn't mean "mature".
Darker in MM setting.
Creepy, weird, unease, surreal.
The hands in total where great.
But characters, dialogue, etc where all straight forward and heroic.
Nothing that would increase the pegi ratings much. And as far as I know, if you don't show mature stuff (sex, nudity (...depends I guess), gambling, realistic violence, gore) there should be no problem with teen. And even then, id argue OoT and MM had enough gore (the well, final battle with majora's mask...)

Given there's only two new pages, i'd say there wasn't any mention or really anything about ReDraketed in the meeting.
As expected, after they talked in March.

Next up, hoping for an early September reveal before TGS.

Same. The more I think about it, the more I feel that doing devs from being able to openly discuss their games coming to the system at TGS just so they can announce in October feels pointless.

I can see that TGS 2016 was also in September - what happened there? Were developers able to confirm their games coming to "NX"?

Darker doesn't mean "mature".
Darker in MM setting.
Creepy, weird, unease, surreal.
The hands in total where great.
But characters, dialogue, etc where all straight forward and heroic.
Nothing that would increase the pegi ratings much. And as far as I know, if you don't show mature stuff (sex, nudity (...depends I guess), gambling, realistic violence, gore) there should be no problem with teen. And even then, id argue OoT and MM had enough gore (the well, final battle with majora's mask...)

Oh, with darker I understood more mature content.

Oh, with darker I understood more mature content.
A story can be mature without having the typical explicit "mature" markers.

You can make extremely dark and mature stories say about anxiety... While having a storybook aesthetic and not showing explicit stuff, there's a high chance you can get through with a sub teen rating.

I don't want them to go that far, and cause of the type of cartoon violence Zeldas teen anyway.

Oh, an game about trust, polyamory, fear of loss, jealousy ... In the coat of animal crossing, without ever referencing sex, maybe having an euphemism or something symbolic instead.im confident that one could pass by with a pegi 6.

A story can be mature without having the typical explicit "mature" markers.

You can make extremely dark and mature stories say about anxiety... While having a storybook aesthetic and not showing explicit stuff, there's a high chance you can get through with a sub teen rating.

I don't want them to go that far, and cause of the type of cartoon violence Zeldas teen anyway.

Oh, an game about trust, polyamory, fear of loss, jealousy ... In the coat of animal crossing, without ever referencing sex, maybe having an euphemism or something symbolic instead.im confident that one could pass by with a pegi 6.

Yes yes, there are books about how to prevent sexual abuse targeting 3 year old childs.

I thought you were talking about blood/gore, realistic aesthetics and such "mature" content normaly related to videogames/films.
A lot of the GTA / Call of duty players are 12 yo kids playing "mature" games.

What is expected right now to be unveiled in future shipment data? I guess screen size/type and modules for bluetooth/wifi? Is there something else that could be found?

I’m actually kinda shocked that Nintendo hasn’t implemented a feature to listen to Nintendo music on NSO.

It’s seems something so simple that would índice people, also with the Switch portability it seems like a no brainier.

No one knows what art style will be used for the next Legend of Zelda, but as long as Fujibayashi and Aonuma remain in position, they will both choose a unique art style as the basis for their creations.

No one knows what art style will be used for the next Legend of Zelda, but as long as Fujibayashi and Aonuma remain in position, they will both choose a unique art style as the basis for their creations.
Personally I would like to see a unique artstyle.

Zelda as a series has been juggling a few great art styles post 2000. The cel-shaded style of Wind Waker and the DS titles, the softer but still gritty interpretation of The Lord of the Rings with Twilight Princess, the painterly look of Skyward Sword, the exaggerated 3d interpretation of the old 2d style with A Link Between Worlds, the plastic toy-like visuals of Link's Awakening/Echoes of Wisdom, and ultimately the watercolor and outdoors-y style of BotW and TotK.

For me personally, they are either going further with BotW's style to match the initial Wii U trailer they showcased back in the day which would be safe but ultimately pretty choice, an evolution of the Twilight Princess artstyle like that Wii U Tech Demo, or go with something completely different. I would like to be surprised by what they do in the future, if only because Zelda is a series that is strongly defined by the variety of styles shown between titles.

It's gonna be a looong couple of months if the reveal is in October like the Switch 1's. Though I wonder if they might reveal before TGS, to coincide with Third Party titles for the system (or not), or earlier in July/August because of manufacturing possibly starting sooner than the OG Switch.

Zelda artstyles for me:
Botw/totk> we / we hd / OoT/mm > minish cap, fsa > la/alttp/ooa/OoS > Zelda 1, La remake,SS > lbw > TP, Zelda 2 > St/Ph

SS had great stuff... But also many missteps. La remake is fine... But wasn't fitting for la and already feels stale to me. To...just isn't for me, and the ds one just look to noisy for me with the low resolution for 3d assets.

I would still love a rework to the current one with a slightly more detailed look on the new switch.

Zelda artstyles for me:
Botw/totk> we / we hd / OoT/mm > minish cap, fsa > la/alttp/ooa/OoS > Zelda 1, La remake,SS > lbw > TP, Zelda 2 > St/Ph

SS had great stuff... But also many missteps. La remake is fine... But wasn't fitting for la and already feels stale to me. To...just isn't for me, and the ds one just look to noisy for me with the low resolution for 3d assets.

I would still love a rework to the current one with a slightly more detailed look on the new switch.

Imo the BotW/TotK art-style is totally an evolution/refinement of the SS one. Honestly, i would expect them doing the same with the next mainline 3D Zelda on ReDraketed.

The power-jump can be used for quite some things.

Kinda great that tech has now reached a point where artist visions can be more truthfully translated into a game, just look at Visions of Mana for example.

Imo the BotW/TotK art-style is totally an evolution/refinement of the SS one. Honestly, i would expect them doing the same with the next mainline 3D Zelda on ReDraketed.

The power-jump can be used for quite some things.

Kinda great that tech has now reached a point where artist visions can be more truthfully translated into a game, just look at Visions of Mana for example.
Oh it totally is, but fixed most thinks I did not like. Like the yellowish ting (SS has a brown/yellow ting in my eyes), and the noisiness, that on paper should have looked like drawn, but with the low resolution back then it just looked bad to me.

Oh, and the character designs (to cartoons for enemies, and I did not like links lips)
Generally I would say the character design was more... Puffy?

One question I have is how does it compare to conventional active cooling with a fan? So heat dissipation in watts relative to its power consumption? That said, there are at least a two advantages I can think of off hand for this solution vs. a cooling fan. 1) Much smaller footprint, and 2) No moving parts, so less to go wrong.

Definitely not going to be a solution for Nintendo anytime soon, but perhaps a future iteration, or new console? Plus, if I recall, this company can scale up their cooling solution to work with larger applications, such as laptops, and even desktops.

One question I have is how does it compare to conventional active cooling with a fan? So heat dissipation in watts relative to its power consumption? That said, there are at least a two advantages I can think of off hand for this solution vs. a cooling fan. 1) Much smaller footprint, and 2) No moving parts, so less to go wrong.

Definitely not going to be a solution for Nintendo anytime soon, but perhaps a future iteration, or new console? Plus, if I recall, this company can scale up their cooling solution to work with larger applications, such as laptops, and even desktops.

From what we've seen they're basically better when comparing similar cooling levels. Lower power consumption than regular fans (1W to cool 5.25W or 1.75W to cool 10.5W with the AirJet Pro), smaller without moving parts as you said, much quieter, and they also seem to be superior at really blowing the heat out of an entire device rather than simply cooling the SoC. And yes, they can use several of them (even putting 4 AirJet Pros into a laptop so you could get a 45W gaming laptop as thin as a MacBook Air). The biggest catch right now is really just volume and cost.

I’m actually kinda shocked that Nintendo hasn’t implemented a feature to listen to Nintendo music on NSO.

It’s seems something so simple that would índice people, also with the Switch portability it seems like a no brainier.
I honestly doubt many would actually use it. It's way easier, more comfortable, and convenient to just pull up Nintendo OSTs on YouTube with your smartphone. The better option would be to just officially release their tracks on Apple Music/Spotify.

LTT had a video about them a few years back.
Essentially: better, but more expensive.

In other words: I would not count on them outside of high end computing devices or industrial applications.

accused of sending d*** pics to minors, soliciting underwear photos
what the fuck
images

Are you talking about question 15? I wouldn’t categorize it as stupid. The shareholder was referring to Super Madao (スーパーマダオ) in a roundabout (some might say Japanese) manner. The person in question is a Mario cosplayer, accused of sending d*** pics to minors, soliciting underwear photos, crashing Nintendo shareholders meeting without qualification, and other problematic behaviors.
Yes but it's a pretty stupid question to ask at the shareholder meeting. What will they say other than, we will act accordingly. It has nothing to do with Nintendo directly.

It's gonna be a looong couple of months if the reveal is in October like the Switch 1's. Though I wonder if they might reveal before TGS, to coincide with Third Party titles for the system (or not), or earlier in July/August because of manufacturing possibly starting sooner than the OG Switch.
I highly doubt the reveal is even in 2024 at this point.

so some more slide decks went public on GDC Vault, including the Ubisoft Massive set on Snowdrop

though more interestingly, Ubisoft LaForge's deck on Neural Texture Compression

some highlights

30% smaller textures, arguably higher quality, and 1ms overhead on last gen systems? sauce me up, daddy!

so some more slide decks went public on GDC Vault, including the Ubisoft Massive set on Snowdrop

some highlights

30% smaller textures, arguably higher quality, and 1ms overhead on last gen systems? sauce me up, daddy!
Neat I’m glad to see tech like this progressing

some highlights

Can switch2 use neural texture compression techniques.

What would NVIDIA run it through?How do I remember that the technology was not officially introduced until the Blackwell architecture.Or am I remembering it wrong?
I haven’t been following closely, but it seems like the heavy work is in the initial compression, which is done during development. The decompression is rapid and I assume handled GPU-side.

some highlights

That compression time is a beast, though. Having to bake an asset for over half an hour. Woof.

I haven’t been following closely, but it seems like the heavy work is in the initial compression, which is done during development. The decompression is rapid and I assume handled GPU-side.
Oh, so this is a decompression process implemented for the development process rather than for the hardware architecture?

Oh, so this is a decompression process implemented for the development process rather than for the hardware architecture?
That is my impression, yes. The bulk of the work seems to be in the compression, which is very time consuming. There's then a general decompression process that can run on the target GPU pretty rapidly at run-time.

I don't think I'm understanding this part. I would expect two methods of storing/presenting textures of the same 1024x1024 resolution to look very similar, unless one method was especially bad in its compression or whatever. So why does neural just straight up seem higher resolution?
I'm guessing it's quality loss via BC compression. while the neurally compressed textures are compressed in BC format, they're still reconstructing based on the original raw textures and thus, output a higher quality closer to the master

I don't think I'm understanding this part. I would expect two methods of storing/presenting textures of the same 1024x1024 resolution to look very similar, unless one method was especially bad in its compression or whatever. So why does neural just straight up seem higher resolution?
Block compression clamps the color space. You take a 4x4 (or 8x8 or whatever) pixel block, take the range of colors represented in that block, and create a smooth gradient between two colors inside that block, and then map all the pixels to points along that gradient.

Over the course of the whole texture, you can represent lots and lots of colors this way, very compressed. But inside one of those blocks, similar colors turn into the same color. And since a color wheel is 2 dimensional space and a color gradient 1 dimensional, you can lose tiny details that might be a wildly different color.

This causes smoothing in noisy areas, like the fine detail of the wood there. While technically it might have as many pixels as the original image, each 4x4 block is really only able to express one color, with a range of values (ie, green so bright it's nearly white all the way down to green so dark it's basically black). That lowers the perceived resolution.

Neural compression, instead, represents pixels as a set of statistical probabilities, which can express the whole color space. So adjacent pixels can represent wildly different colors. The total number of pixels, and the color range are the same between the two images, it's just the fine detail doesn't get squashed.

Edit: I wondered why you, of all people, would ask this question. Upon reflection, this might be stuff you all knew, and were referring to bad compression in the PDF itself. Sorry if this sounded like I was talking down.

Last edited:
While I may agree with you on the other stuff, how do you know how someone plays something seriously or not? 😜. You only see them buying the game, but you're not in their homes watching them play. Or are they all telling you how they play?
actually when you are in business for a long time you know many many gamers and part of them becomes a friends and we discuss gaming together , let's say i sold a 100s of copies of GTA V for the last 10 years , for sure i don't know all the customers nor do i have precise statics but i know at least 50 person out of this hundreds who played the game and how they played it , also you don't have to know some customers very well to know they are ULTRA CASUALS , when someone who don't know the name of the game and ask you "i want the game that you steal the cars" this time you know he is not serious about gaming and he want something to play it casually , similar thing happen many time for GTA By the way but i don't remember someone asked me "i want the game where the hero hold a sword and wear a green Cap ^___^

again , i am not saying this is a precise statics but this is my experience which may be different from market to market , but then again most of the statics takes a very small percentage of people and multiply it to give a picture about the market , like Famitsu statics who gave us a picture about the japanese gaming market but in reality they asked a few thousands people while the japanese gamers are in millions ...

some highlights

Something just occurred to me that I hadn't really connected before regarding GPUs, and NPUs. GPUs do all the rendering of stuff on screen so a pretty picture can be presented on your monitor. The CPU does all the general executions, and other processing (hence processing unit), and the NPU feels like that middle ground intermediary where it doesn't replace either chip, but can greatly enhance the abilities of each, allowing resources and cycles dedicated to where it's needed most at any given frame.

In some ways, NPUs might be the next "GPU" in terms of industry disruption like how GPUs were breaking ground in the 1990s into the mainstream when hardware acceleration of graphics were the next best thing.

I'm sure it's more complicated than how I'm describing it, but that is how I look at NPUs right now, and their potential use cases.

Block compression clamps the color space. You take a 4x4 (or 8x8 or whatever) pixel block, take the range of colors represented in that block, and create a smooth gradient between two colors inside that block, and then map all the pixels to points along that gradient.

Over the course of the whole texture, you can represent lots and lots of colors this way, very compressed. But inside one of those blocks, similar colors turn into the same color. And since a color wheel is 2 dimensional space and a color gradient 1 dimensional, you can lose tiny details that might be a wildly different color.

This causes smoothing in noisy areas, like the fine detail of the wood there. While technically it might have as many pixels as the original image, each 4x4 block is really only able to express one color, with a range of values (ie, green so bright it's nearly white all the way down to green so dark it's basically black). That lowers the perceived resolution.

Neural compression, instead, represents pixels as a set of statistical probabilities, which can express the whole color space. So adjacent pixels can represent wildly different colors. The total number of pixels, and the color range are the same between the two images, it's just the fine detail doesn't get squashed.

Edit: I wondered why you, of all people, would ask this question. Upon reflection, this might be stuff you all knew, and were referring to bad compression in the PDF itself. Sorry if this sounded like I was talking down.
This was very informative, thank you!

Last edited:

If it's just this, block compression is a worse option than I'd realized. I guess not much has changed about it in a long time, sounds basically like what I remember learning about then-innovative S3TC for GameCube 20+ years back. But I would have thought wood should be a great use case. Since each block basically breaks down into a gradient between two colors, the worst cases would be where there are several very different colors in a small area. But this wood is basically shades of brown.

If that wood on the left is the result, though, seems like you're not really better off than just using a smaller uncompressed texture.

Looking at the QA, Shigeru Miyamoto is basically retiring from game development related work altogether, "My successor is also getting older, so I'd like to bring in younger people to take over as well."
I wouldn’t read it like that. He was pretty hands off at game development for some time already (mostly taking a supervising roll) and is focusing on theme parks and movies. This sounds like future proofing, not retirement.
The first trailer for the 2014 wiiu version of botw was a product of the same mindset both in terms of character models and environment rendering as the full version of botw, it's just that the 2014 PV was much more detailed(Mainly in terms of lighting and texture.), and it's not the same thing as the kind of realism that TP had.

I think the Poster you replied to was referring to the 2011 one:

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom