• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Seems like the Japanese shareholder will be tweeting the question asked, we might hear some extra tidbit.
f5.gif

Man I've been out of the loop for a bit. Sorry for my radio silence guys.
Hope everyone has been doing well. Any (realistic) expectations for the shareholders meeting?
As of posting it literally just started right?
Not much.

I can maybe expect couple of surprises and also a hopeful confirmation of BC.

Also thanks for mention, I’ve doing well, hopefully you’re having a nice day or evening.

Man I've been out of the loop for a bit. Sorry for my radio silence guys.
Hope everyone has been doing well. Any (realistic) expectations for the shareholders meeting?
As of posting it literally just started right?
Some sort of timeline on the new console would be nice. We've been in the dark for a good while, and I imagine their shareholders want answers.

There hasnt been too many questions so far, not many interesting answers either.

First question was about gaming accessibility, seemingly towards blind people and their inclusion onto the Nintendo ecosystem. Nintendo said they can't disclose anything but they're always looking forward to including everyone (typical response)

Second question is about scalping. Nintendo answered they had chip shortages throughout the Switch lifetime but it has already been resolved and that they're working on meeting demands with supply, etc. Nothing that we weren't aware of either

EDIT: for anyone interested, @NStyles on X/Twitter is posting questions and answers done there in japanese.

This is like looking at the backside of a theater set and deciding that the whole production will be garbage
Not even, this is seeing the back side, throwing vomit green paint on it, and saying this is why they shouldn’t use color in the production.

Yeah, no. I'm not suggesting they ever would have actually released the game looking like this. They look this way because they're designed to be used with cel-shading. It would absolutely have been possible to make visually-pleasing character models in other ways - the point is that those other ways would've likely involved things like more complex and detailed texture work, more details and polys, etc. which come with a performance cost - and it may well have still not looked as good. It's a great style that also allows for efficient performance, but not every developer or game can just do it and expect a friendly response.

An investor asking a genuinely good question.

Translate:
I would like to ask Mr. Miyamoto a question.
I would like to ask Miyamoto what path Nintendo will take from now on.
I would also like to hear about your relationship with overseas theme parks and NVIDIA.

An investor asking a genuinely good question.

Translate:
I would like to ask Mr. Miyamoto a question.
I would like to ask Miyamoto what path Nintendo will take from now on.
I would also like to hear about your relationship with overseas theme parks and NVIDIA.

Nah, it was underwhelming.

Yeah, no. I'm not suggesting they ever would have actually released the game looking like this. They look this way because they're designed to be used with cel-shading. It would absolutely have been possible to make visually-pleasing character models in other ways - the point is that those other ways would've likely involved things like more complex and detailed texture work, more details and polys, etc. which come with a performance cost - and it may well have still not looked as good. It's a great style that also allows for efficient performance, but not every developer or game can just do it and expect a friendly response.

Your post said you can't imagine the game being well-received visually looking like the pics. I agree with how Nintendo approach the graphic really work for what they want to achieve.

Well, probably not much of an informative reply, but I'm sending it with machine translation anyway.

“There have been fluctuations from the exchange rate at the time of the Switch's launch, and there is currently a price difference between Japan and overseas.
We cannot comment on next-generation consoles, but we are not considering raising prices in Japan for current models at this time.”

Your post said you can't imagine the game being well-received visually looking like the pics. I agree with how Nintendo approach the graphic really work for what they want to achieve.

Exactly - it wouldn't have been well-received, hence they would not have done it, because those models are low-detail and unattractive. My point is that, objectively and technically speaking, the models with cel-shading applied are equally unrealistic and low-detail, but they are subjectively more attractive due to how we as a people are used to cartoons being lower-detail than something like live action film. I also agree with Nintendo's approach and would like to see more developers apply it - the problem is that most of them would get backlash for it.

So, to roughly (and jokingly) summarize NStyles' tweets?
  1. Will you make games for blind/visually impaired? Um, next question.
  2. How's the whole "combating scalpers" thing going? Supply chain issues have diminished. We're a bit worried about future issues popping up, but we should be good to go with having enough stock.
  3. Indie games good? Indie games good. Check out our Indie World stuff.
  4. Apple is doing AI shit? Is Nintendo doing AI shit? Yes, we're doing AI shit. But not generative AI, because that's just fancy copyright infringement.
  5. Will you do more things for the Famicom's 40th anniversary? We gave you a cool website and a video game, what more do you want?
  6. Zelda is cool, but will Nintendo make new IP in the future? Probably, but in the meantime, but have you seen the Metroid trailer?
  7. The stock price fell in May because of your financial forecast. Explain yourselves! We share news, stock does thing. Dunno what to tell you.
  8. Are Nintendo and Nvidia friends? Are theme parks fun? Yes and yes. (Everyone claps.)
  9. How is the weak yen affecting things? Do you plan on moving hardware production domestically? Most of our profits comes from overseas, so it more-or-less balances out. Our production lines are fine for now, don't worry about it.
  10. What the heck is a..."Pyoro", and why does he know all your games? Don't worry about it, it's been... taken care of.
  11. Are games really taking longer to make? How are you dealing with that? They do, but we're doing our best to use new techniques that can aid in shortening dev times, and also considering making a few smaller titles.
  12. I am a shareholder. Give me money? In a bit, just chill. We have more questions to get through.
  13. Not naming names, but how do you deal with other companies copying your ideas? We'll deploy the ninja lawyers if needed, but Nintendo IP are also one-of-a-kind and can't easily be replaced by copycats.
  14. Miyamoto is old. Is he okay? Can he still make games? Yes, I am old, but I'm fine. I'm mostly hands-off console game development these days, but I help out a lot with Pikmin Bloom. Check out that game, it's fun!
  15. People online are using Nintendo IP to be creepy fucks. What the fuck? We do our best to stop creepy fucks when we learn of them.
  16. Since the yen is weak, will the new Switch be cheaper in Japan? No comment on that, but there are currently no plans on changing the prices of the current Switch models at the moment.
  17. Why don't the directors have more company shares? That... really isn't that important. Final question?
  18. Can you please let us buy or stream Nintendo music? ...We have concerts sometimes?

Last edited:
So, to roughly summarize NStyles' tweets?
  2. How's the whole "combating scalpers" thing going? Supply chain issues have diminished. We're a bit worried about future issues popping up, but we should be good to go with having enough stock.
  4. Apple is doing AI shit? Is Nintendo doing AI shit? Yes, we're doing AI shit. But not generative AI, because that's just fancy copyright infringement.
  5. Will you do more things for the Famicom's 40th anniversary? We gave you a cool website and a video game, what more do you want?
  6. Zelda is cool, but will Nintendo make new IP in the future? Probably, but in the meantime, but have you seen the Metroid trailer?
  7. The stock price fell in May because of your financial forecast. Explain yourselves! We share news, stock does thing. Dunno what to tell you.
  8. Are Nintendo and Nvidia friends? Are theme parks fun? Yes and yes. (Everyone claps.)
  9. How is the weak yen affecting things? Do you plan on moving hardware production domestically? Most of our profits comes from overseas, so it more-or-less balances out. Our production lines are fine for now, don't worry about it.
  10. What the heck is a..."Pyoro", and why does he know all your games? Don't worry about it, it's been... taken care of.
  11. Are games really taking longer to make? How are you dealing with that? They do, but we're doing our best to use new techniques that can aid in shortening dev times, and also considering making a few smaller titles.
  12. I am a shareholder. Give me money? In a bit, just chill. We have more questions to get through.
  13. Not naming names, but how do you deal with other companies copying your ideas? We'll deploy the ninja lawyers if needed, but Nintendo IP are also one-of-a-kind and can't easily be replaced by copycats.
  14. Miyamoto is old. Is he okay? Can he still make games? Yes, I am old, but I'm fine. I'm mostly hands-off console game development these days, but I help out a lot with Pikmin Bloom. Check out that game, it's fun!
  15. People online are using Nintendo IP to be creepy fucks. What the fuck? We do our best to stop creepy fucks when we learn of them.
  16. Since the yen is weak, will the new Switch be cheaper in Japan? No comment on that, but there are currently no plans on changing the prices of the current Switch models at the moment.
  17. Why don't the directors have more company shares? That... really isn't that important. Final question?
  18. Can you please let us buy or stream Nintendo music? ...We have concerts sometimes?
This is great, but could you elaborate on 4, 10 and 15

Please be more constructive in disagreements with other posters. The HW thread should have higher standards for posting. - meatbag, Dardan Sandiego, Lord Azrael
So, to roughly summarize NStyles' tweets?
Worst summary ever

This is great, but could you elaborate on 4, 10 and 15
Sorry, couldn't help myself with the jokes. I do link to the Twitter thread, so it's probably best to just check that out, but to properly summarize those questions:
  • Question 4 was someone asking about Nintendo using AI, since Apple recently made a big deal about the new iPhone being equipped with AI. The response was that AI has been used in the gaming industry for quite a while now to help with various tasks. They also note that generative AI is interesting and can be creative, but there are issues with IP rights if you want to use it. In any case, AI is only valuable if it helps create the best gaming experience possible.
  • Question 10 was just a shareholder hearing about gaming leaks and wondering what Nintendo is doing about them. Hence my dumb Pyoro joke.
  • Question 15 is about cosplayers, gaming influencers, and the like who are known for their Nintendo content engaging in sexual harassment of minors on social media, or just negative behavior in general. Nintendo will simply do their best to handle such issues when it's brought to their attention.

So, to roughly (and jokingly) summarize NStyles' tweets?
I nominate you in charge of 'lightening the mood' of all future investor briefings.

Sorry, couldn't help myself with the jokes. I do link to the Twitter thread, so it's probably best to just check that out, but to properly summarize those questions:
  • Question 4 was someone asking about Nintendo using AI, since Apple recently made a big deal about the new iPhone being equipped with AI. The response was that AI has been used in the gaming industry for quite a while now to help with various tasks. They also note that generative AI is interesting and can be creative, but there are issues with IP rights if you want to use it. In any case, AI is only valuable if it helps create the best gaming experience possible.
  • Question 10 was just a shareholder hearing about gaming leaks and wondering what Nintendo is doing about them. Hence my dumb Pyoro joke.
  • Question 15 is about cosplayers, gaming influencers, and the like who are known for their Nintendo content engaging in sexual harassment of minors on social media, or just negative behavior in general. Nintendo will simply do their best to handle such issues when it's brought to their attention.
Don't get me wrong, Love the jokes, was an amazingly entertaining read.

But thanks for the grounded response too

Where is that answer from?
Question 7. To just copy the MTL of the tweets in question:

Q: Regarding full-year earnings forecasts, the previous quarter's financial results were very impressive, but the next day the stock price fell by more than 5%.
This was because forecasts for the next fiscal year were not very good, but the explanation was that this was because figures for the successor model were not included. Even if the software is a huge hit, the numbers can fluctuate. The predictions don't mean much.

A: We recognize that earnings forecasts attract attention. Our policy for IR activities is to make announcements fairly and appropriately. Surprise is key in our business, so revealing what products we are releasing would ruin the surprise. In these respects, it is difficult to forecast earnings. I think it’s important to communicate as much as possible. Previously, we also issued mid-term forecasts, but we stopped doing this because even a slight change in the timing of software releases can make a big difference. We would like to continue to communicate with shareholders in a friendly manner."

To me, it feels like they're talking just as much about holding back on their software announcements (i.e., not detailing the second half of the year until last week, leaving investors in the dark about that for a month) as they are their hardware announcements (whether or not Switch 2 is this fiscal year). As well as it just being hard to properly forecast how well your software and hardware will be able to sell.

Introduced at MWC Shanghai to attract attention of China-based handset vendors, edge and industrial computing devices, and action cameras, the AirJet Mini Sport is an enhanced version of Frore's AirJet Mini Slim. This version has been fully waterproofed, offering IP68-level protection that allows it to work while being submerged in over 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes. Internally, the AirJet Mini Sport can effectively dissipate 5.25 Watts of heat by generating 1750 Pascals of back pressure, while consuming 1 Watt of energy itself.

Elsewhere, Frore claims that the AirJet Mini Sport can be used to provide 2.5 Watts of cooling capacity to smartphones. Which, although not enough to cover the complete power consumption/heat dissipation of a high-end SoC, would have a significant impact on both burst and steady-state performance by allowing those chips to run at peak clocks and power for longer periods of time.

And there's the stupid question, right on cue.
Are you talking about question 15? I wouldn’t categorize it as stupid. The shareholder was referring to Super Madao (スーパーマダオ) in a roundabout (some might say Japanese) manner. The person in question is a Mario cosplayer, accused of sending d*** pics to minors, soliciting underwear photos, crashing Nintendo shareholders meeting without qualification, and other problematic behaviors.

BotW and TotK look excellent. They both demonstrated the height of Nintnedo's cel shading capabilities and I'm glad they went in that particular direction for those two games.

That being said, I also wouldn't have minded if they continued in the style of TP/the Wii U Zelda tech demo. I wasn't a huge fan of TP's graphics on the GC/Wii, but that's because I think it was a little too ambitious for those systems, resulting in low poly models in plenty of places and lotsa blurry, muddy textures. But the Wii U/Switch were strong enough to mostly eliminate the glaring graphical blemishes.

I wouldn't mind seeing the more "realistic" style return for Switch 2.

BotW and TotK look excellent. They both demonstrated the height of Nintnedo's cel shading capabilities and I'm glad they went in that particular direction for those two games.

That being said, I also wouldn't have minded if they continued in the style of TP/the Wii U Zelda tech demo. I wasn't a huge fan of TP's graphics on the GC/Wii, but that's because I think it was a little too ambitious for those systems, resulting in low poly models in plenty of places and lotsa blurry, muddy textures. But the Wii U/Switch were strong enough to mostly eliminate the glaring graphical blemishes.

I wouldn't mind seeing the more "realistic" style return for Switch 2.
The first trailer for the 2014 wiiu version of botw was a product of the same mindset both in terms of character models and environment rendering as the full version of botw, it's just that the 2014 PV was much more detailed(Mainly in terms of lighting and texture.), and it's not the same thing as the kind of realism that TP had.

The first trailer for the 2014 wiiu version of botw was a product of the same mindset both in terms of character models and environment rendering as the full version of botw, it's just that the 2014 PV was much more detailed(Mainly in terms of lighting and texture.), and it's not the same thing as the kind of realism that TP had.

THAT trailer.
I like the link design in the trailer much better than in the final version. The spirit is tha same but we lost so much detail in the final version.
Still, one of the best games I've ever played if not the best. Can't wait for the next main Zelda and see what Nintendo can do with Switch2 specs.

THAT trailer.
I like the link design in the trailer much better than in the final version. The spirit is tha same but we lost so much detail in the final version.
Still, one of the best games I've ever played if not the best. Can't wait for the next main Zelda and see what Nintendo can do with Switch2 specs.
The animations are a little of, but yeah, I would live to get a last take of this style, but with a)obviously a new map and b) this amount of details.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom