• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I remembered something in my sleep: if developers don't need 7 cores, can they turn off three of four cores and run the remaining four or three at a higher frequency? Some games are not well optimized for multi-core.and only three cores are needed to run og Switch games
I doubt they can fully disable cores, but some kind of variable clock thing is certainly possible. Switch already has a "loading screen profile," where the GPU clock drops very low, but the CPU speed jumps very high. The idea is that games can change to this profile when in loading screens, where they would draw very little to the screen but need max CPU power to decompress assets.
So how long have we heard or speculated devs have had the SDK for Switch 2?
Nintendo only has one SDK, the Nintendo SDK. Switch 2 support will eventually show up there.

I'm sure some partners got beta SDKs a long time ago, but it doesn't take a brain genius to put 2 and 2 together that Switch 2 support went out to a much larger group of devs late last year.
How much can developers do just off an SDK?
A developer can completely build a game, entirely, with just the SDK. But the odds of it working well on "real" hardware without testing it on a devkit is very close to zero. It is not uncommon for developers to receive physical devkits very close to launch, and then race to do final optimizations and fixes.

Even after launch, small developers may never have access to a physical devkit, with publisher instead having a physical devkit for last minute porting work and testing. Microsoft has done great work ending this era for Xbox, but it's still a reality for Sony/Nintendo.

I'm assuming games will need dedicated patches for FPS boosts, but will Switch games on the successor basically automatically have faster load times? I'd really like New Horizons to have faster loading.

Even after launch, small developers may never have access to a physical devkit, with publisher instead having a physical devkit for last minute porting work and testing. Microsoft has done great work ending this era for Xbox, but it's still a reality for Sony/Nintendo.
Anyone that has authorization to use the SDK can order a devkit if they want to. So if that situation actually happens, it would be entirely the fault of the publisher for not buying and loaning devkits.

I'm assuming games will need dedicated patches for FPS boosts, but will Switch games on the successor basically automatically have faster load times? I'd really like New Horizons to have faster loading.
They will. Although, counterintuitively, BC games might still have more loading than new games, since old games may have a few seconds of loading "prep" where they fade in and out, expecting a long loading time so not worrying too much about overhead like that, while new games may seek to eliminate that entirely. But for whatever loading is there, it will complete faster.

They will. Although, counterintuitively, BC games might still have more loading than new games, since old games may have a few seconds of loading "prep" where they fade in and out, expecting a long loading time so not worrying too much about overhead like that, while new games may seek to eliminate that entirely.
Real world dumb example of this: even the Switch version of Final Fantasy IX has crazy load times, presumably since it was built expecting PS1 read speeds and just left that way for the modern ports. FFVII does not have this issue.
I'm not sure what the case is with New Horizons, but load time isn't always just load time. Like, GameCube Animal Crossing loaded the entire game into RAM when the system booted, but it still took a long time to get into town because it was setting a lot of stuff up from a particularly large (for its time) save file.

I doubt they can fully disable cores, but some kind of variable clock thing is certainly possible. Switch already has a "loading screen profile," where the GPU clock drops very low, but the CPU speed jumps very high. The idea is that games can change to this profile when in loading screens, where they would draw very little to the screen but need max CPU power to decompress assets.
I suppose the Switch shuts down three cores when it is only running the system?

Last edited:
I hope that thanks to the A78C IPC increase by 2.5x over A57, lower latency using LPDD5X and faster storage cuts loading times by a lot.

Having to wait 50-70 seconds to load a save file/new level in Xcom 2 becomes tedious after a short while

20+ pages in the last two days? Was something important revealed?

Also, apologies if this was posted, but has anyone seen this video?

They talk about switch 2 hardware, but the really noteworthy part is their discussion on the Gamecube, whose hardware these guys seem to know absolutely nothing about. It was truly fascinating. I know these guys are mostly PC focused, but I genuinely found it shocking how neither Linus nor his friend had any idea where GC landed in the 6th gen. It's even more bizarre because they seem to know about the Wii and beyond...but not the GC?? Literally, how do you know about the Wii hardware WITHOUT knowing about the GC hardware?!?

Nothing…

…besides the Return of the King.
200w.gif

You know, "SNS" would not only stand for "Super Nintendo Switch" but also "Successor (to the) Nintendo Switch".
SNS is actually why I think it will not be called Super Nintendo Switch. SNS, unlike in any other language AFAIK, is used very commonly both in online and in person to refer to social networks. Though I guess they could brand it as NSS.

They talk about switch 2 hardware, but the really noteworthy part is their discussion on the Gamecube, whose hardware these guys seem to know absolutely nothing about. It was truly fascinating. I know these guys are mostly PC focused, but I genuinely found it shocking how neither Linus nor his friend had any idea where GC landed in the 6th gen. It's even more bizarre because they seem to know about the Wii and beyond...but not the GC?? Literally, how do you know about the Wii hardware WITHOUT knowing about the GC hardware?!?

Because Nintendo doing Nintendo, even my grandmother knows this.
To be honest, they ignored the performance of the GameCube to prove that Nintendo doesn't prioritize hardware. This is even worse than simply thinking Nintendo doing Nintendo because it's Very unprofessional

Last edited:
Nah, I doubt they are going to use SNS since it is referred to "social media" in Japan. Nintendo Super Switch (NSS) makes more sense unless NoA and NoE tell Nintendo that people might refer that as SS which is a bad word.
SS is also a abbreviation for Silksong, I doubt it‘d be that big of a deal (it atleast wasn’t for Nintendo Switch (NS)).

Last edited:

I posted this around 12 pages back or so and the video is dogshit honestly, not even worth discussing. These people don't even know what they're talking about.

I didn't even watch for a minute before turning it off because they were clearly referencing IGN's inaccurate report. The Switch not appearing in the 2016 financial forecast doesn't affect its March 2017 release

I dunno; since we do know that there are 8 cores in the cluster, going small with the L3 would be odd.
(and for the readers, I certainly should at least expect an L3 cache at all; cause otherwise, I imagine a lack of any shared cache to be less than ideal for inter core communication).
Question for those with more knowledge about cache than me: if the L3 cache was the full 8MB, could that result in an unacceptably large die size, increased power consumption, or some other issue?

It seems that the a78c also has the ability to shut down the core
You can tie VCPU and VSYS to the same supply if the core is not required to support Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling (DVFS). The core can still be powered down independently if it is in its own power domain with proper isolation.
Yes, DVFS is an option; I was completely stuck in a dead end before.

Nate, let me know if I’ve got this wrong, but it sounds like you’ve got three Nintendo episodes on deck.

On Twitter you indicated you’d do an episode on the announcement from the quarterly meeting and then afterward an episode on the specs. Now a Direct episode if you choose to do one.

Is that still the case? Any idea when we can expect the announcement discussion if that’s still first up?
The Direct episode won't be until June and we near the Direct date... so it'll be a bit.

Still working on scheduling things for recording day & time. Aligning schedules can be a challenge. Hopefully can get the specs episode recorded in the next week or so... that's my hope.

Suddenly thought that the t239 has some capability to run local large models.
Introducing our new Nintendo Large Language Model: Navi!
220px-Navi_%28The_Legend_of_Zelda%29.png

/s
Funny, made-up scenario: Nintendo went for at least 12 GB of RAM so that they could dedicate 6GB of it to holding an LLM that will provide context-appropriate and creative comments on how badly you are playing. Game development and performance will suffer, but boy will the memes be dank.

Last edited:
Funny, made-up scenario: Nintendo went for at least 12 GB of RAM so that they could dedicate 6GB of it to holding an LLM that will provide context-appropriate and creative comments on how bad you are playing. Game development and performance will suffer, but boy will the memes be dank.
8GB for withered technology 🙌

So i figured I’d ask here as I’ve been browsing this thread for a while, and you guys are all super knowledgeable.

Does dlss work as a setting that theoretically Nintendo could have in settings and you can use it on every game, including switch 1 titles, or is it something that needs to be coded into the game.

Also do you all believe switch 2 will let switch 1 games perform better in handheld mode. Like for example could Xenoblade 2 maybe get closer to docked performance?
ok so i seent many people replying to this in a way that i dont think is correct.

dlss for pc is very situational. game devs have to accept that gamers will be on a myriad of hardware configurations, and so they have to ship a specific version of DLSS that is compatible with THEIR game in a conceptual lockstep with the driver based updates of a players hardware ability to run that DLSS version.

Switch2s DLSS ability is "Known". idk and i dont think that this is a wholely conceptualized truth just yet. DLSS is a thing. Switch2 is a thing. nvidiatendo is going to release the switch2, with a DLSS compatibility layer of some sort. every developer will know without a doubt, that switch 2 is compatible with "INSERT THIS DLSS VERSION"

nvidia aint stupid, theyve come up with myriad DLSS closed source ideas. i have no reason to assume that they cant maintain a "nintendo specific - WE CAN DO THIS" branch of dlss.

in my mind, i cannot come up with reason to say "this WONT happen" when i think of nvidia contemporalizing a version of DLSS specifically for NintyDev.

there is no reason to believe that nvidia cant come up with a common core value system to work across all games of a type designed for Switch2 System or whatever. we have open source programs to auto update DLSS for any game and theres barely any influencial changes, why cant we assume that DLSS at its core can be changed and improved in a way that uplifts all games that use it on a general usecase?

ok so i seent many people replying to this in a way that i dont think is correct.

dlss for pc is very situational. game devs have to accept that gamers will be on a myriad of hardware configurations, and so they have to ship a specific version of DLSS that is compatible with THEIR game in a conceptual lockstep with the driver based updates of a players hardware ability to run that DLSS version.

Switch2s DLSS ability is "Known". idk and i dont think that this is a wholely conceptualized truth just yet. DLSS is a thing. Switch2 is a thing. nvidiatendo is going to release the switch2, with a DLSS compatibility layer of some sort. every developer will know without a doubt, that switch 2 is compatible with "INSERT THIS DLSS VERSION"

nvidia aint stupid, theyve come up with myriad DLSS closed source ideas. i have no reason to assume that they cant maintain a "nintendo specific - WE CAN DO THIS" branch of dlss.

in my mind, i cannot come up with reason to say "this WONT happen" when i think of nvidia contemporalizing a version of DLSS specifically for NintyDev.

there is no reason to believe that nvidia cant come up with a common core value system to work across all games of a type designed for Switch2 System or whatever. we have open source programs to auto update DLSS for any game and theres barely any influencial changes, why cant we assume that DLSS at its core can be changed and improved in a way that uplifts all games that use it on a general usecase?
i realized this too late, but i want to ensure that i am simply talking about "Switch2" games. games designed FOR switch2 which use Switch2 capabilities. in my opinion i cannot find a reason to say that nintendo cannot find a capable midground for "Generic Switch2 Game" that encompasses "Switch2 DLSS Library" in a way that disallows constantly updating the DLSS library itself.

and so i think that relatively, nintendovidia could absolutely have some sort of nintendo specific DLSS library that IS OS updateable and improved on request by nintendo firmware update

You know it just occurred to me that if/when they release Ring Fit 2 for Switch 2, they're gonna have to release it with a new ring accessory for the new joycons. Hopefully it would be compatible with old joycons, as well as offering a ring-less cheaper SKU.

Given that the switch form factor is almost perfect (to me), I really want nintendo to offer its unique gimmick gameplay through accessories.
Give me a killer game that needs the gimmick to play, sell it with a very atractie bundle price and I'll be there on day one.

One or two gimmicks per gen to standarize the use and allow thirds to develop games on a stablished base.

Last edited:

Of course I haven't seen this video, from the thumbnail it's completely obvious that it's clickbait rubbish and to be avoided.

Interesting development. According to Nikkei Nintendo shares rise 4,1 % due to speculation about Square Enix AAA games being developed for Nintendo platforms:

Nintendo's fourth consecutive day of gains rose to 8,343 yen, up 332 yen (4.14%) from the previous day. Square Enix HD (9684) announced on March 13 its medium-term management plan for the fiscal year ending March 2027, which will end in the fiscal year ending March 2027, and indicated its policy to promote the development of major intellectual property (IP) and "AAA" (influential) titles on multiple platforms, including Nintendo.

Interesting development. According to Nikkei Nintendo shares rise 4,1 % due to speculation about Square Enix AAA games being developed for Nintendo platforms:

It makes sense. It is sort of a first indicator for big third parties bringing their A game to the next Nintendo system rather than only bringing smaller scale titles and remasters from last gen.

i realized this too late, but i want to ensure that i am simply talking about "Switch2" games. games designed FOR switch2 which use Switch2 capabilities. in my opinion i cannot find a reason to say that nintendo cannot find a capable midground for "Generic Switch2 Game" that encompasses "Switch2 DLSS Library" in a way that disallows constantly updating the DLSS library itself.

and so i think that relatively, nintendovidia could absolutely have some sort of nintendo specific DLSS library that IS OS updateable and improved on request by nintendo firmware update
There is no better dev than Nintendo to promote DLSS tech tbh. Especially since some of the games are known for bringing Switch to the next level (Zelda and Xenoblade). That's why I think NVIDIA will give everything to support Nintendo in software development.
SS is also a abbreviation for Silksong, I doubt it‘d be that big of a deal (it atleast wasn’t for Switch (NS)).
But Nintendo wants to stay away from getting into political, no? But yeah, at least NSS is more possible than SNS.

Obsessed PC gamers like them can never manage to explain why Nintendo should focus on more expensive, high end hardware. Would it lead to more sales? No. So what would be the point? Except placating a few hardcore gamers who would be willing to spend 1000 dollar on better Nintendo hardware while everyone else would just refuse to buy it?

Its easy to lambast Nintendo for releasing cheaper and less performative hardware when you aren't yourself running a console business that actually has to get a large amount of people to buy your console and its games. Talk about being in a bubble if you can't understand that simple of a point like those guys. They just take it as a given that the only reason Nintendo don't make better hardware is just because they don't care about hardware, and not because cheaper hardware automatically leads to more people willing to buy the stuff you put on the market.

Nah, I doubt they are going to use SNS since it is referred to "social media" in Japan. Nintendo Super Switch (NSS) makes more sense unless NoA and NoE tell Nintendo that people might refer that as SS which is a bad word.

I mean Microsoft released an Xbox SS and that's doing... well not FINE but nobody cares about the acronym.

Nintendo always cares about hardware. Even the Wii U. They designed the console heavily with Wii BC in mind and used a direct 5 Ghz connection between the Gamepad and console to sustain the presentation of a seamless second wireless screen.

I did not find the idea of 'two screens at home' compelling in the slightest and would have preferred the console used touchpads or small touch screens on split controllers* (Wii 𝕏, baby), and the absolute hardware BC requirement held it back in some capacity, but I cannot deny that Nintendo cared about their vision and worked hard to see it through (even if software fell through in fulfilling that 2 screen promise... except Mario Maker).

Les elite 'gamers' are unable to separate their personal preference for what they want Nintendo to do and what Nintendo has actually accomplished.

* I still want this.

Last edited:
SNS is actually why I think it will not be called Super Nintendo Switch. SNS, unlike in any other language AFAIK, is used very commonly both in online and in person to refer to social networks. Though I guess they could brand it as NSS.
The abbreviations are rarely used in advertising, if it ends up being SNS, it's at most a funny little coincidence in sales data or future Mario Kart games. That said, if it is Super Nintendo Switch, I'd expect the abbreviation to be SSW for this reason, like how the current one is NSW.

One aspect where the Switch 2 surpasses both the PS5 and Xbox Series X is its AI capabilities. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Nintendo takes advantage of this.

Obsessed PC gamers like them can never manage to explain why Nintendo should focus on more expensive, high end hardware. Would it lead to more sales? No. So what would be the point? Except placating a few hardcore gamers who would be willing to spend 1000 dollar on better Nintendo hardware while everyone else would just refuse to buy it?

Its easy to lambast Nintendo for releasing cheaper and less performative hardware when you aren't yourself running a console business that actually has to get a large amount of people to buy your console and its games. Talk about being in a bubble if you can't understand that simple of a point like those guys. They just take it as a given that the only reason Nintendo don't make better hardware is just because they don't care about hardware, and not because cheaper hardware automatically leads to more people willing to buy the stuff you put on the market.
The total nonsense is Nintendo Switch was absolutely as powerful as it could have been with off the shelf parts with that power consumption in 2017. Even Wii U had cutting edge features.

I think, though, that part of this is an image problem for Nintendo. Generations of "weak" hardware relative to the competition has led to the retroactive framing of ALL their hardware as "weak" for the time. This is of course wrong, but Nintendo's messaging about performance and technology would lead you to believe this.

The thing is, if you pay attention, like, say, you should, if games media is your job, Nintendo was pretty up front about their performance ambitions with both GameCube and Nintendo Switch around reveal.

While this isn't Nintendo's fault, they still have a lot to prove with the successor to Nintendo Switch. I already see people getting genuinely upset at the idea that a game could end up on it because it would "hold back" the game on the 'pure' home consoles. Hogwash, of course, but Nintendo doesn't have the benefit of brushing concerns like those off, they have to try and prove otherwise.

but Nintendo doesn't have the benefit of brushing concerns like those off, they have to try and prove otherwise.
Nah, I don't think it matters, and it never has. Nintendo has been doing this song and dance since the Game Boy and came out on top every time. They proven time and time again that the wider audience doesn't give a shit about specs

Nah, I don't think it matters, and it never has. Nintendo has been doing this song and dance since the Game Boy and came out on top every time. They proven time and time again that the wider audience doesn't give a shit about specs
They don't care about having the prettiest version of a game. However if what they're trying to market and sell is a home console on the go, specs are important to convincingly realize that vision.

I love Nikkei and even subscribe to their content but....

They off base on this one.

I raised this point in the past about the quoted slide. It has up to 60GB/s bandwidth. It’s not clear whether that would be in addition to the 120GB/s or not. I think @darthdiablo mentioned unified memory the other day, and if that’s the case, then a possible total 180GB/s available would be more than most anticipated. It seems most have missed it on here, but bandwidth doesn’t appear to be available or mentioned on the other processors.
60GB/s should be the fabric bandwidth. So it's for the CPU cluster intercommunication and irrelevant for the rest of the system. 120GB/s is the quoted bandwidth because that's the general memory bandwidth the whole system can access.
A78 and A78C are different. The official ARM site is quite explicit about this.
The core design is still the same. So using benchmarks of commercial A78 as a proxy for A78C performance is fine.

The total audience, yes, but if they want AAA games on the device, they need to make sure they sell. To make sure they sell, they need the 'AAA' audience, and while I would tend to call that audience somewhat shallow, at the very least the appearance of strength matters to them.

I don't think it's a gargantuan task, but regularly showing high quality AAA games running at acceptable resolutions is something they probably will do that will help this, but some people they probably want "on side", the 'hardcore' gamer who wants a handheld, need things drilled into their skull, metaphorically.

"The most powerful handheld ever on the go, full 4K gaming at home." replacing the "home console experience on the go, HD visuals at home" messaging they have now. And let's be clear, that messaging they currently use, "home console on the go, HD gaming at home" IS this generation's 'flex'. I think they need to continue that messaging in earnest, especially when a lot of the appeal of the device IS performance and IS handheld AAA.

You sure invest a lot of time on codename huh?!
At least this doesn't matter for it's purpose or for us to know what beneath behind it
not all codenames Nintendo use for it consoles, have a meaning behind them, some have like project Reality(Nintendo first 3D console), revolution(aluding to how revolucionary the Wiimotes are).

not all codenames Nintendo use for it consoles, have a meaning behind them, some have like project Reality(Nintendo first 3D console), revolution(aluding to how revolucionary the Wiimotes are).
Nintendo (N) Cross (X)

Ounce - A snow leopard, an unexpected predator? A new standard to weigh against?

Muji - A blank slate? The default?

I know to some the code name discussion is tired, but honestly I find it kind of fun. 😅

I was referring to the page count. I'm nowhere near posting that much. Not a very talkative guy.
i was more of referring to the approximate amount of thread posts to reach page 3000 😆
i should have said the context

but yeah, lurkers gonna lurk

Yeah, we don't talk about the Sega Saturn 'round these parts. ;)

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom