• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Considering that backwards compatibility seems assured, and the faster reading speed of the internal memory, I wonder if there will be a difference between the games downloaded from the store and from cartridge. Will the loading times be shorter if you have the store version? Will Nintendo allow cartridge games to be installed on the internal memory?
This is actually already the case. Game Cards are slower than system memory, usually. The fastest loading speeds in the Nintendo Switch ecosystem are from loading a game from system memory on Nintendo Switch OLED Model. The advantage is very, very slight however.

I'd fully expect this to continue somewhat, since while Game Cards appear to be UFS for the successor, Game Card hardware has to be pennies to dollars, while internal components can be more expensive. It's likely Game Cards will again set the floor for loading times, but it's possible it's SDe that ends up the bottleneck.

Like we have now, I'd expect Game Cards of different specifications and technology to suit the game at hand. If a game is less than a gigabyte, it doesn't NEED a 32GB UFS chip inside it. The highest end next generation Game Cards could have gigabyte speeds and capacities of over a hundred gigabytes, essentially mass produced high end thumb drives. The lowest end could be low tier ROM. The economic challenge at hand is pretty considerable, considering the price of high speed, high capacity removable storage like Xbox Series X|S' expansion cards, and actual camera grade CFe Type A.

This is actually already the case. Game Cards are slower than system memory, usually. The fastest loading speeds in the Nintendo Switch ecosystem are from loading a game from system memory on Nintendo Switch OLED Model. The advantage is very, very slight however.

I'd fully expect this to continue somewhat, since while Game Cards appear to be UFS for the successor, Game Card hardware has to be pennies to dollars, while internal components can be more expensive. It's likely Game Cards will again set the floor for loading times, but it's possible it's SDe that ends up the bottleneck.
Another point is that on Switch, no matter the storage medium it's somewhat bottlenecked by the cpu. On Oz, the gap in storage speed is going to be representative of the gap in actual speed.

Another point is that on Switch, no matter the storage medium it's somewhat bottlenecked by the cpu. On Oz, the gap in storage speed is going to be representative of the gap in actual speed.
Absolutely. I expect the bottleneck this generation is probably the FDE for most games. Which is... Not bad, really.

Ghosts of Tsushima has a handy dynamic upscale option where the FSR 3 scale used depends on the target framerate e.g. it'll hop between ultra performance - quality to sustain 45 fps.

The end result is a really nice looking 1080p image running at 40 fps on my 4K TV, via Steam Deck.

Dynamic DLSS already exists, I'm hoping most devs will leverage it since it's a console environment, and have the quality of the upscale vary to keep a good FPS target. The internal resolution could swing between 360p-720p but you'll always have a good looking 1080p image, for example, that's locked to 60 FPS.

I don't remember how much credibility he has but more confirmations about 3rd party support is good, right?

This isnโ€™t exactly surprising for anyone who knows the specs of the device. Hell, on the GPU side, Hellblade has some killer PC requirement specs, something like a 1070 GTX GI, and 16 gigs of Ram. The Switch 2 will basically as a slightly downclocked RTX 2050. Considering all of that, the 1070 is about not quite double the speed of the 2050. Meaning, and this is definitely pencil math, but gives you a pretty good idea, if a game runs Hellblade 2 on 1440p at 60 fps, the Switch 2 should be able to output 720p 60fps, or 1080p 30 fps. We also have techniques like DLSS that are not even considered. But if this can occur with an unoptimizable PC port, once developers get their hands on it. Once you start hammering texture quality, resolution of textures, downgrading geometry(like the Hellblade 1 port on switch), we can easily see that it will be able to run on switch 2 no problem. At decent quality too.

We could say RAM is a problem, except the fact that XSS has 10 gigs of ram And Hellblade is coming to that console. So the GPU really isnโ€™t the problem, it appears ram isnโ€™t the problem. The only thing that could really go wrong is the CPU, and scant few games are CPU locked. And again, optimization exists, along with a huge amount of new tech like DLSS, Frame Generation, Ray Reconstruction, that. Console developers have not had access too until the Switch 2.

The question really isnโ€™t anymore if the Switch 2 will be able to run games. Itโ€™s really how far the Switch 2 can be pushed. Will DLSS ensure we get 4k-like visuals, how will ray tracing work, ect. Those are the questions that have yet to be answered.

My guess is yes to both. There's no way the cards will be half as fast as UFS 3,1. Which won't translate double loading time, but probably longer.

And I think it's possible some games will require an install, but most games won't depend on super fast storage.

Like we have now, I'd expect Game Cards of different specifications and technology to suit the game at hand. If a game is less than a gigabyte, it doesn't NEED a 32GB UFS chip inside it. The highest end next generation Game Cards could have gigabyte speeds and capacities of over a hundred gigabytes, essentially mass produced high end thumb drives. The lowest end could be low tier ROM. The economic challenge at hand is pretty considerable, considering the price of high speed, high capacity removable storage like Xbox Series X|S' expansion cards, and actual camera grade CFe Type A.

I was talking about Switch 1 carts. Afaik they can't be installed on the internal memory. Would be nice to install games and benefit from faster loading times.

If the Switch 2 will have around 10.5 GB for games and 1.5 GB for the OS, it will be a more than adequate amount of RAM. In my opinion, we must always keep in mind that Switch 2 games will aim for a lower level of graphic detail than PS5 and XSX. Even if the game resolution will be quite high, the complexity and graphic detail will certainly always be lower on average than consoles such as PS5 and XSX. Probably 10.5 GB represents an optimal quantity as much as 12.5 GB and 13.5 GB are for PS5 and XSX respectively.

Considering that backwards compatibility seems assured, and the faster reading speed of the internal memory, I wonder if there will be a difference between the games downloaded from the store and from cartridge. Will the loading times be shorter if you have the store version? Will Nintendo allow cartridge games to be installed on the internal memory?
You mean Switch 1 games? Probably, but even with blazing fast internal memory, I doubt the difference will be huge. Bottleneck of loading is mostly CPU for decompression, and that will be the same for both.

is against forum rules to doxx someone using a fake name online,linkedin profiles have real names,theres nothing in the profile tying to the real identity,searching the persons name dont bring up that account, except thanks to that guy post someone with free time can eventually find out
Doxxing involves addresses. By that logic mentioning Furukawa or Miyamoto would be doxxing.

If the Switch 2 will have around 10.5 GB for games and 1.5 GB for the OS, it will be a more than adequate amount of RAM. In my opinion, we must always keep in mind that Switch 2 games will aim for a lower level of graphic detail than PS5 and XSX. Even if the game resolution will be quite high, the complexity and graphic detail will certainly always be lower on average than consoles such as PS5 and XSX. Probably 10.5 GB represents an optimal quantity as much as 12.5 GB and 13.5 GB are for PS5 and XSX respectively.
I read somewhere (NOTE THIS DOES NOT ACCURATELY REFLECT THE REAL SCENARIOS OF THIS HARDWARE/SOFTWARE APPLICATION, I'D RATHER BE CORRECTED AND LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT THAN PEOPLE TAKE THIS AS ACADEMIC FACT) that ray-tracing takes somewhere between 1-2GB of RAM/VRAM. If that's the case, then (using the average of 1.5GB) that's around 9GB flat dedicated to everything else. That's pretty damn good and aims at a far higher level than Series S. That'll likely hold up for a fair bit, potentially into the 10th generation, however we'll have to see.

I read somewhere (NOTE THIS DOES NOT ACCURATELY REFLECT THE REAL SCENARIOS OF THIS HARDWARE/SOFTWARE APPLICATION, I'D RATHER BE CORRECTED AND LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT THAN PEOPLE TAKE THIS AS ACADEMIC FACT) that ray-tracing takes somewhere between 1-2GB of RAM/VRAM. If that's the case, then (using the average of 1.5GB) that's around 9GB flat dedicated to everything else. That's pretty damn good and aims at a far higher level than Series S. That'll likely hold up for a fair bit, potentially into the 10th generation, however we'll have to see.
Since the benchmark is likely going to be Series S, and Series S has trouble getting a lot of RT games, what do you think the Switch 2 will fare when it comes to RT?

Is nvidia's RT more efficient than AMDs? If it's not the Switch 2's ram advantage could well be eaten up jut for RT.

I think itโ€™s also worth mentioning that developers have the option of disabling ray tracing and some stuff for more ram for the games, for example removing the option of taking photos.

Ghosts of Tsushima has a handy dynamic upscale option where the FSR 3 scale used depends on the target framerate e.g. it'll hop between ultra performance - quality to sustain 45 fps.

The end result is a really nice looking 1080p image running at 40 fps on my 4K TV, via Steam Deck.

Dynamic DLSS already exists, I'm hoping most devs will leverage it since it's a console environment, and have the quality of the upscale vary to keep a good FPS target. The internal resolution could swing between 360p-720p but you'll always have a good looking 1080p image, for example, that's locked to 60 FPS.
I only had 1 or 2 bugs, its an excelent port.

Nixxes๐Ÿ’˜

Since the benchmark is likely going to be Series S, and Series S has trouble getting a lot of RT games, what do you think the Switch 2 will fare when it comes to RT?

Is nvidia's RT more efficient than AMDs? If it's not the Switch 2's ram advantage could well be eaten up jut for RT.
Oh much better, that's not even a question. One massive boon that the Switch 2 has is that it can have fairly mediocre RT but have it complimented by Ray Reconstruction. Immediately makes it much better. Also, while AMD has made a lot of strides in their RT performance and output, Nvidia just clears. I don't expect every third party to have RT on the system, but I expect a far greater amount than the Series S if maybe less than the number of PS5 titles... though that remains to be seen.
I think itโ€™s also worth mentioning that developers have the option of disabling ray tracing and some stuff for more ram for the games, for example removing the option of taking photos.
That is also true. Frankly the RAM for the Switch 2 blows the Series S out of the water

This isnโ€™t exactly surprising for anyone who knows the specs of the device. Hell, on the GPU side, Hellblade has some killer PC requirement specs, something like a 1070 GTX GI, and 16 gigs of Ram. The Switch 2 will basically as a slightly downclocked RTX 2050. Considering all of that, the 1070 is about not quite double the speed of the 2050. Meaning, and this is definitely pencil math, but gives you a pretty good idea, if a game runs Hellblade 2 on 1440p at 60 fps, the Switch 2 should be able to output 720p 60fps, or 1080p 30 fps. We also have techniques like DLSS that are not even considered. But if this can occur with an unoptimizable PC port, once developers get their hands on it. Once you start hammering texture quality, resolution of textures, downgrading geometry(like the Hellblade 1 port on switch), we can easily see that it will be able to run on switch 2 no problem. At decent quality too.

We could say RAM is a problem, except the fact that XSS has 10 gigs of ram And Hellblade is coming to that console. So the GPU really isnโ€™t the problem, it appears ram isnโ€™t the problem. The only thing that could really go wrong is the CPU, and scant few games are CPU locked. And again, optimization exists, along with a huge amount of new tech like DLSS, Frame Generation, Ray Reconstruction, that. Console developers have not had access too until the Switch 2.

The question really isnโ€™t anymore if the Switch 2 will be able to run games. Itโ€™s really how far the Switch 2 can be pushed. Will DLSS ensure we get 4k-like visuals, how will ray tracing work, ect. Those are the questions that have yet to be answered.

Pretty much! It's basically going to be a souped up Steam Deck with DLSS in portable mode and more or less on-par with the XSS in docked. Anything the Series S can get, the Switch 2 definitely will. This is without touching DLSS and all the techniques that will help it punch above it's weight. It's obviously no PS5 or XBX, but in context to what it is, there aren't really a whole lot of big weaknesses. Developers will have a lot of tools to help tailor games and ports for it and it's absolutely going to get pretty much every 8th gen title and the lion's share of 9th gen games. There will definitely be downgraded ports, but it's less likely to see a Mortal Kombat 1 fiasco on the Switch 2 and the first-party titles are going to look extremely impressive.

I can't wait

Last edited:
depends on the scene. it's possible to go lower, but you're reducing the asset complexity in the BVH which can introduce low quality effects. on small screens, that might not be a problem

Iโ€™m surprised that Series s canโ€™t disable some functionality for extra ram, like the Switch does.

Or can the series s do that and I just didnโ€™t know?
The most common functionality disabled on Switch is video capture, you can still take screenshots. Even then a lot of impossible ports allow it, it's just very specific games that disable it.

Video recording was patched post-launch, as almost like a bonus, so i suspect the original SDK did not allocate RAM for it which allowed devs who need more RAM to just turn it off.

Here's a question
How ridiculous of a notion is it to suspend most of the system OS functions, similarly to suspending a game?
I know that there's core OS stuff that needs to run in the BG... but the thought being when you suspend a game, the OS functions are loaded in and can use as much memory as they want... THEN when you load the game the OS stuff is suspended in system memory... then there doesn't have to be dedicated pools?
I don't know how feasible this is... just a thought

I know that there's core OS stuff that needs to run in the BG but the thought being when you suspend a game the OS functions are loaded in and can use as much memory as they want... when you load the game the OS stuff is suspended in system memory... then there doesn't have to be dedicated pools?
I guess you could but the user experience would be poor, if they need to suspend a game and it takes several seconds for the OS to load in with a big judder/lag.

OS is always there for a reason. I think maybe (if voice chat is added into the core OS suite) some games may choose to disable that (?) it's really up to Nintendo how much they allow devs to turn off.

Video recording on OG Switch was just a convenient way for devs to get more RAM because it wasn't a launch feature and perhaps Nintendo always intended for it to be optional, other OS functions like networking, and ability to suspend a game instantly may be non-negotiable.

In fact i'd argue for Switch/2 they are 100% non negotiable, it's part of its selling point.

Also games with in app purchases also need to pull up the eshop quickly, and i suspect that will be a requirement (from 3rd parties) that eshop is always accessible and quickly.

Here's a question
How ridiculous of a notion is it to suspend most of the system OS functions, similarly to suspending a game?
I know that there's core OS stuff that needs to run in the BG... but the thought being when you suspend a game, the OS functions are loaded in and can use as much memory as they want... THEN when you load the game the OS stuff is suspended in system memory... then there doesn't have to be dedicated pools?
I think that's basically what BotW on WiiU does. It's why pushing the Home Menu button causes the game to freeze for a while as it's having to copy the game's RAM contents onto the hard drive and reload the OS. Then closing the menu also takes a while due to having to unload the OS and copy the game's stored RAM contents back into the actual RAM.

It was weird but it worked.

Here's a question
Wii U could do that, funny enough. It's not really practical if you want the system menu to be responsive unless your storage is as fast as your RAM. I do think being able to "suspend" games to system storage, so you could have one in memory and one in storage, would be great. Quick Resume on a handheld!

Here's a question
BotW on Wii U does this and IIRC a couple do on Old 3DS as well (I know for a fact Smash does)

Wii U could do that, funny enough. It's not really practical if you want the system menu to be responsive unless your storage is as fast as your RAM. I do think being able to "suspend" games to system storage, so you could have one in memory and one in storage, would be great. Quick Resume on a handheld!
Yeah I want quick resume for sure

Other than that, he and Mike Odyssey are known to fabricate stuff just for the views. He has no integrity, clicking on his videos reminds of the mid 2000s of being Rick Rolled.
Hmm, I am always curious what happens when console launch season is over with. Right now is the time for him to play actual games with his community. He does so unenthusiastically. I would work on that, because when launch hit and those rumors dry up. Those subscribers numbers will slow down.

That link just shows โ€œdeletedโ€ and when I checked the last tweet it didnโ€™t seem to be in response to anything - maybe itโ€™s showing differently on desktop (I am on mobile currently)

As far as I know that is still unconfirmed. 7.9" Innolux TFT-LCD panels are visible in shipment data going to nvidia India around the same time T239 validation testing occurred, but nothing in those entries specifically ties those to T239 or anything Nintendo.

Personally I choose to believe it's what devkits are using yeah.
does shipping data include how many units?
past a certain point of units i dont think we could just guess it as being for devkits

Switch 2's RT will almost always be better than Series S. Series S has two very small RT advantages over Switch 2's design, but all the major important stuff is stacked in Nintendo's favor.

When Series S turns off RT effects that PS5 can have on, it's because there is some part of the RT that isn't scaling down with resolution. That's almost always going to be RAM usage, and depending on how Nintendo allocates RAM, the situation will either be "better than Series S" or "a lot better than Series S."

It's difficult to describe how much better Nvidia's RT solution is over AMDs, but the short version is that even the most pessimistic estimates would put Switch 2's raw RT performance beyond Series S, anywhere from 30%-50% faster.

Series S has a more powerful CPU than anyone realistically expects for Switch 2, and that does matter for RT. The CPU is used to build a description of the scene that RT can use, called a BVH. Some games are recomputing this BVH every frame, and including the entire game world in the process. That obviously eats a crapton of CPU. But no game that does that also has RT enabled on the Series S, because of the other issues. Plenty of games build smaller BVHs, or don't rebuild them every frame. I think the CPU advantage here is basically not an issue.

The Series S will likely be more powerful at non-RT graphics. Most games with RT are hybrid meaning they draw the scene normally, and add RT effects on top. Being faster at this operation might ordinarily leave Series S more spare power to do RT. But this kind of head-to-head matchup basically never happens in real life. Switch 2 can enable RT but lower other settings to make up for it, if the effect is overall positive on the image, and will also have technologies like DLSS to help make smarter use of resources.

I expect subtle RT to be the standard on modern Switch 2 games, but modern Switch games also tend to stick to 30fps, so it's sort of an easy prediction. What I'm curious about is how far the RT hardware can be pushed while hitting 60. That will be the realm of Nintendo mostly to themselves, I think, with super optimized lighting engines, and an array of performance tricks that are married to the art style.

past a certain point of units i dont think we could just guess it as being for devkits

It does.

I've done the maths and it looks like right now (well in March) they were assembling around 600-1000 Switch 2 units, possibly for a pre-prod quality control run.

Iโ€™m surprised that Series s canโ€™t disable some functionality for extra ram, like the Switch does.

Or can the series s do that and I just didnโ€™t know?
There was this from a few years back about hundreds of megabytes being newly available on Series S, but it sounds like some kind of overall optimization rather than giving developers the option of things to disable.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

It does.

I've done the maths and it looks like right now (well in March) they were assembling around 600-1000 Switch 2 units, possibly for a pre-prod quality control run.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
He has zero credibility. He leeches off these forums and this thread for clickbait for his videos, and thatโ€™s one of the reasons why thereโ€™s been a greater frequency of hidden posts. More 3rdP support is very obvious, given the Switchโ€™s sales and splits on many games, so, he isnโ€™t saying anything most people donโ€™t already know, or could deduce. Heโ€™s also a racist sympathising piece of shit. I think he was banned on here.
Shouldnโ€™t she be banned for being nasty to people I donโ€™t know why people on Famibords are being nasty to a lot of people like Dr Trey and know Nintendo Prime

I don't remember how much credibility he has but more confirmations about 3rd party support is good, right?

โ€œBIG NEW NINTENDO NEWS!โ€
and itโ€™s literally just a person saying โ€œoh hey I heard this infoโ€.

NPrime and SwitchForce are the first ones that come to mind when it comes to this.

Shouldnโ€™t she be banned for being nasty to people I donโ€™t know why people on Famibords are being nasty to a lot of people like Dr Trey and know Nintendo Prime
Nintendo Prime copped a ban on Fami for saying some incredibly racist shit. I don't think we need to be nice to him

Nintendo Prime has some pretty bad history here, including blatantly ripping information and using it in his videos (and claiming that the sources were his own). That is ignoring the political views that got him banned from this forum.

I canโ€™t comment on Doctre as I missed that as it happened, although Iโ€™m sure someone here will chime in.

โ€œBIG NEW NINTENDO NEWS!โ€
and itโ€™s literally just a person saying โ€œoh hey I heard this infoโ€.

NPrime and SwitchForce are the first ones that come to mind when it comes to this.
Most of the Switch 2 Youtube scene really.

Do "Switch 2" in YT search field, then sort by "newest". It's cancer to look through the listing. It's a bunch of "OMG FEATURE REVEALED!?" with exaggerated shocked face in thumbnail/preview and those god-awful mockups of Switch 2 too where the screen slides up/down out of a new kind of grip.

Nintendo Prime has some pretty bad history here, including blatantly ripping information and using it in his videos (and claiming that the sources were his own). That is ignoring the political views that got him banned from this forum.

I canโ€™t comment on Doctre as I missed that as it happened, although Iโ€™m sure someone here will chime in.
Oh, I didn't even realize Dr. Trey = Doctre lol
He was banned for boosting Libs of TikTok

If GTA5 or GTA6 do end up coming to Switch 2, I will be incredibly interested in a DigitalFoundry style break down & comparison between Switch 2 and Xbox Series S ports. Honestly I'll probably gobble up any XSS/SNS comparisons.

I say DF-style because DigitalFoundry will probably run PS5 Pro / Xbox Series X / Switch 2 for the majority of their comparisons. Anything to make the gap between Sony/Xbox & Nintendo look as wide as they can.

Ok. Didn't understand. Fast reading.
We will have better loading times even on slow carts.
Just complementing...

When the game enters in a loading screen:
1. It load everything it will need from the storage into RAM
2. CPU decompress all the compressed data
3. CPU initialize everything the game will need.

Faster storage speed up step 1, faster CPU speed up steps 2 and 3. And these will speed up even BC games.

But the new consoles go beyond that. They all have a dedicated component (which BC games don't have access to) to do step 2 faster than the CPU can and as free up the CPU to focus on step 3 and do it faster too.

Games loading asset during gameplay used to be a problem because the CPU was busy and could cause framerate issues. The solution was to load everything the game would need until the next loading screen or stress-free hallways/tunnels/elevators (and other things used to mask loading).

With the dedicated hardware freeing up the CPu, you only need to load what is going to be used immediately, start gameplay and continuously load the things you will only need later.

TL;DR: In general, physical BC should load faster, BC from internal storage should be even faster and native versions should be even more faster. But you need to rework how the game loads data if you want "instant loading".

You can look up comparisons with PS4 versions running on PS5 to get a general idea.

Got confused since you have the same avatar as the person you responded to.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom