• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Is there something with switch handheld mode that locks the games to lower fps. I know cpu clockspeeds get sliced in half but if switch 2 has a better cpu and clockspeeds shouldn’t handheld games perform better? I guess I’m asking can we ever expect docked visuals?
Yeah, theoretically handhelds Switch 1 games should perform much better on Switch 2. As long as Nintendo's backwards compatibility solution isn't just simply emulating the Switch and getting the games to function, games will most likely have patches to make them run better. Obviously we don't know what they have planned for BC, but between the custom SOC, more RAM, faster memory, etc, the console has the beef to get handheld mode to look way closer to docked with the Switch 2 than with the Switch 1.

Now the leak express has slowed down, you could use your free time to prepare your game cabinet for Switch 2:
SakuraiSwitchDock.jpg
my bedroom is too small to house a cabinet, i might need to use my Switch carrying case to store Switch sucessor(ounce i have the console)

Imagine the Switch 2 being limited to 8GB due to same foolish decision...
For example: Although 8GB is enough for us, there are only 6GB LPDDR5X memory chips available on the market. There's no choice but to buy two and limit it to 8GB of memory!
I need to stop these baseless negative thoughts.
No, you're on to something.. I think the second memory chip will be use a scratch off tool. Nintendo will have scratch off tickets for their new gimmick. 🥰 Genius🥰

Please stop saying Oz lol
Nintendo has never used that word like this it's either Muji (through the Nintendo Package Manager for devs as previously revealed) or Ounce (Switch OS leftover SSL cert package file).
I know Oz sounds enticing as shortened Ounce and how it's close to NX but we're not even certain Nintendo actually thinks that way especially with how the PCB names previously uncovered clearly aren't named as usual either.

The whole U-King-O name is definitely one thing where I might be leaning more towards Ounce, as well as how Fifty is possibly a codename for the new Joy Cons (oh yeah, didn't you know? the Switch OS has that apparently and there were updates about those), which for me is closer to the theme of using amounts as words, but seeing Oz just bothers me because it really comes from absolutely nothing lol

Ounce is Oz

just watched a few videos about the N64 Recompilation tool which translates N64 to PC code and runs low level to allow all sorts of enhancements, very clever. if hobbyists can do this in their spare time surely Nvidia/Nintendo can do something equivalent to this for Switch BC and even handling VC content.

Ounce is Oz
We don't have evidence Nintendo's actually calls it that. We don't even have confirmation that it's Ounce - or that it doesn't mean the cat.

There just isn't evidence "Oz" or "OZ" is used, and I don't think drawing questionable equivalents helps that too awful much.

I don't think that's the case. There are multiple, but here's one Micron part with the max LPDDR5X speed, 32 Gb density, and x64 configuration. Micron just organizes things in a confusing way so everything is under the LPDDR5 "family" even if it's LPDDR5X.
Stand corrected, I just assumed that since it doesn't make sense for Apple to use 4gb modules, it woudnt make sense for Nintendo either.
I also do stand corrected. I was also wrong about Samsung only providing 32-bit 4 GB (32 Gb) LPDDR5X modules since Samsung does have a listing for 64-bit 4 GB LPDDR5X modules.

just watched a few videos about the N64 Recompilation tool which translates N64 to PC code and runs low level to allow all sorts of enhancements, very clever. if hobbyists can do this in their spare time surely Nvidia/Nintendo can do something equivalent to this for Switch BC and even handling VC content.

Yeah, this would be awesome for them adding redone controls and 16:9 for N64 games.

Probably won’t happen unfortunately.

Yeah, theoretically handhelds Switch 1 games should perform much better on Switch 2. As long as Nintendo's backwards compatibility solution isn't just simply emulating the Switch and getting the games to function, games will most likely have patches to make them run better. Obviously we don't know what they have planned for BC, but between the custom SOC, more RAM, faster memory, etc, the console has the beef to get handheld mode to look way closer to docked with the Switch 2 than with the Switch 1.
Thank you I know it’s all speculation but I enjoy speculating on what we might see. I’ve been on here a lot recently as I’m just so excited for new Nintendo hardware. Feel I’ve been ready for a while.

yeah,even if they wont use it at work most artists are always researching new technology on free time,they not learning just now

some even have experience with the publicity renders who are really high poly
detail117_img04.jpg

detail81_img02.jpg

image04.jpg
Nintendo always use high quality renders for promotional material on marketing and games marketing, so Nintendo artist are kinda of preparing for high quality assests

Thank you I know it’s all speculation but I enjoy speculating on what we might see. I’ve been on here a lot recently as I’m just so excited for new Nintendo hardware. Feel I’ve been ready for a while.
I’m extremely exciting seeing all the new games they’ve been cooking up.

Like 3D Mario, Monolith soft and Next level games and much more, like the next Xenoblade game or Monolith new IP is gonna look insane.

Like I’m extremely intrigued seeing how they’ll utilise Ray tracing the most, since this is probably the first time Nintendo aren’t constraining themself with the hardware, since the technology is there in a good budget compare to the Switch, which was something entirely brand new and nothing even seen before.

Also the custom chip, looks extremely promising

Like 4k/60 3D Mario with ray tracing is making me bricked upped.

Please stop saying Oz lol
Nintendo has never used that word like this it's either Muji (through the Nintendo Package Manager for devs as previously revealed) or Ounce (Switch OS leftover SSL cert package file).
I know Oz sounds enticing as shortened Ounce and how it's close to NX but we're not even certain Nintendo actually thinks that way especially with how the PCB names previously uncovered clearly aren't named as usual either.

The whole U-King-O name is definitely one thing where I might be leaning more towards Ounce, as well as how Fifty is possibly a codename for the new Joy Cons (oh yeah, didn't you know? the Switch OS has that apparently and there were updates about those), which for me is closer to the theme of using amounts as words, but seeing Oz just bothers me because it really comes from absolutely nothing lol
I tried to tell people this but no one seemed interested. Only one guy claims to have a source who told him "Oz" last year, and I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that it could have been a communication error (someone shortened "Ounce" as "Oz", source saw that and thought "Oz" was the actual codename)

I tried to tell people this but no one seemed interested. Only one guy claims to have a source who told him "Oz" last year, and I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that it could have been a communication error (someone shortened "Ounce" as "Oz", source saw that and thought "Oz" was the actual codename)
Well as long as everyone understands what you mean, what does it matter what Nintendos internal terminology is?

If people want to call it electric bugaloo, let them.

Muji doesn't use big.LITTLE. All the cores are big.

Someone may correct me here, because I'm not completely sure on it, but I don't think it's possible to clock individual cores in a cluster differently than the rest of the cluster. All Muji/Oz/Switch 2/REDACTED cores will run at the same clock speed.
Correct. Here is the link on A78C from ARM’s official site. Or, note the bolded part and diagrams below, which points out the difference.

New architecture features for enhanced compute performance​

Cortex-A78C enables more homogeneous multi big core computing, with support for up to 8 big CPU core clusters. The octacore (up to 8 big CPU cores) configurations lead to more scalable multi-threaded performance improvements when compared to Cortex-A78, which supports 4 big CPU core and 4 little CPU core (Cortex-A55) configurations in the DynamIQ shared unit. Big.LITTLE is the de-facto standard in mobile (and will remain so in the future). However, the 8 core configurations of Cortex-A78C unleash the multi-threaded performance required for demanding digital immersion workloads, such as gaming on-the-go and all-day productivity. Cortex-A78C also increases the L3 cache memory to 8MB, which helps to further improve performance, especially for workloads with large datasets.

The 8 core configurations of the Arm Cortex-A78C CPU
Up to 8 'big' core support with Cortex-A78C

These enhanced features are ideal for enabling high performance, heavily threaded workloads, such as ‘physics’ in gaming and professional productivity applications.

I raised this point in the past about the quoted slide. It has up to 60GB/s bandwidth. It’s not clear whether that would be in addition to the 120GB/s or not. I think @darthdiablo mentioned unified memory the other day, and if that’s the case, then a possible total 180GB/s available would be more than most anticipated. It seems most have missed it on here, but bandwidth doesn’t appear to be available or mentioned on the other processors.

A78 and A78C are different. The official ARM site is quite explicit about this.

Well as long as everyone understands what you mean, what does it matter what Nintendos internal terminology is?

Fr what is this policing again

I’ll call the Switch 2 “Nemesis” going forward

We don't have evidence Nintendo's actually calls it that. We don't even have confirmation that it's Ounce - or that it doesn't mean the cat.

There just isn't evidence "Oz" or "OZ" is used, and I don't think drawing questionable equivalents helps that too awful much.

And ? We are not writing a press release we are communicating between players on a forum, policing code names is too extra when everyone is clueless

We have evidence that it starts with an O, that’s enough, if people want to call it Orange or Oyster it’s all good

The entire reason people are hemming and hawwing about the codename is because they want to figure out what Nintendo is calling it internally. It's why we spent literal days going back-and-forth on whether the codename was Muji or Ounce.

The entire reason people are hemming and hawwing about the codename is because they want to figure out what Nintendo is calling it internally. It's why we spent literal days going back-and-forth on whether the codename was Muji or Ounce.
Of course we wanted to know, because it's cool knowing and figuring things out. A codename has no inherent value, Oz or Ounce has no relation to the device it's just a name.

But what’s the point of knowing that ? O could stand for OZ, Ounce, Ohio or Owen Wilson and it wouldn’t tell us anything about the system

And Oz is a shortening for Ounce. So telling people not to call it the former, is really splitting hairs.
Oz or ounce is making me go insane, since Nintendo are calling it NX2 or Switch successor (y’all can’t comprehend that I’m capable of predicting the future)

peter-parker-spider-man.gif

Is there something with switch handheld mode that locks the games to lower fps.
There is not. It’s exactly the same as docked. Docked has more power, so that it can hit higher resolutions, but there is no frame cap.

I know cpu clockspeeds get sliced in half but if switch 2 has a better cpu and clockspeeds shouldn’t handheld games perform better?
It can. That doesn’t mean it will. Letting games have access to extra power can cause bugs.

It is up to Nintendo if they choose to do it automatically, and risk bugs, or require patches. I think Nintendo will require patches

There is not. It’s exactly the same as docked. Docked has more power, so that it can hit higher resolutions, but there is no frame cap.

It can. That doesn’t mean it will. Letting games have access to extra power can cause bugs.

It is up to Nintendo if they choose to do it automatically, and risk bugs, or require patches. I think Nintendo will require patches
Well said. My big hope is game like Xenoblade 2 let us play in 720p in handheld mode as opposed to what is it like 302p? Plus also would love games with dynamic resolution and frame rate targets to hit the higher end like more than 20% of the time.

I’m extremely exciting seeing all the new games they’ve been cooking up.

Like 3D Mario, Monolith soft and Next level games and much more, like the next Xenoblade game or Monolith new IP is gonna look insane.

Like I’m extremely intrigued seeing how they’ll utilise Ray tracing the most, since this is probably the first time Nintendo aren’t constraining themself with the hardware, since the technology is there in a good budget compare to the Switch, which was something entirely brand new and nothing even seen before.

Also the custom chip, looks extremely promising

Like 4k/60 3D Mario with ray tracing is making me bricked upped.
Oh I agree I can’t wait to see new games as well as third party ports uncompromised. I just hope we get something for switch 1 content since we never got the switch pro.

So, yea, looks like I've been gone for half a year at least. Nothing really bad happened, but just got busy enough to not be able to keep up anymore. Sorry to make anybody worry!

...and it seems like with the influx of people/attention, the thread will continue to move fast enough that I probably won't be able to properly keep up. So if/when I do continue to post, not unlikely for me to end up repeating stuff others have said, so I apologize ahead of time :/

Other than that, I take it that vibes are generally good for Nintendo, and a helluva lot more mixed for the rest of the industry.
Looking at the post you quoted, and looking at the post it linked to, and then looking at the post it quoted (confusing enough for you?),

This was quite prescient.
Presto! :D
But really, as I'm sure we've collectively gone over, it wasn't an unlikely option.

The real magic trick would be if I were to somehow will into existence the L3 cache getting customized to something larger than the standard amount.
So, off the shelf, an A78C cluster could go up to 8 MB of L3 cache. Here's my wishlist item (from Sep 2022!?):

While I'd prefer N5 to maximize perf/watt, N7/N6 can still deliver quite an acceptable device. Sufficient power savings to get our GPU config in portable into a credible area of course, but there was also a nice leap in SRAM density between the 10nm and 7nm generations.
By default, the A78C is listed to allow for a maximum of 8 MB of L3 cache. This is a very low chance, super long shot, but I hope that Nvidia goes custom on that aspect and bumps the L3 cache up to like, 16 MB or so.
Referencing this to grab urls... Looking at this, on N7, we see that the chunk of 32 MB cache on a Zen 3 CCD takes up ~27 mm^2. The 64 MB 3D V-cache is ~36 mm^2. So there's a difference of about 9 mm^2 for that extra 32 MB. Divide by 4 to get about 2.25 mm^2 per 8 MB. So, I'm guessing that if you were to take a pre-existing chunk of cache (like 8 MB of L3) and enlarge it by 8 MB (to hit 16 MB), it's costing you 2-3 mm^2. I think that the bang for the buck is there.
And this gives us 31.8 Mib/mm^2 on N5, so I'm guessing about 2 mm^2 to expand 8 MB to 16 MB as a best case scenario.
(although funny enough, I'm less confident on the bang for the buck of going above 16 MB)

But again, what you should expect is no more than the default limit of 8 MB. I'm just saying, if it ever ends up being customized to a higher amount, I'm coming back to respond with 'Abra kadabra!'
Or 'Alakazam!'. Depending on the number of spoons.

---

The 60 GB/s bandwidth mentioned for the A78C should be referring to the L3 cache's bandwidth.
ARM doesn't talk about DRAM bandwidth, IIRC. ARM definitely talked about L3 cache bandwidth with the DSU-110 in 2021.

But again, what you should expect is no more than the default limit of 8 MB. I'm just saying, if it ever ends up being customized to a higher amount, I'm coming back to respond with 'Abra kadabra!'
Or 'Alakazam!'. Depending on the number of spoons.
Imo it would even be a small miracle if Nintendo maxed it out. Having An L3 at all, is entirely optional.

Which developers or company do we think doesn’t have the Switch 2 Dev-Kit.

Also why did Bobby kotick mention that the Switch 2 is comparable to the PS4, despite the evidence leaning it’s going to excel it and in reality be a a PS4 pro on steroids.
I assume indies. I think all the triple a publishers have a dev kit at this point.

I assume indies. I think all the triple a publishers have a dev kit at this point.
who knows, since I’m expecting all the Japanese developers have the Dev-Kit, meanwhile western developers are probably a bit skeptical of the Switch 2 transition or maybe don’t have the budget to develop for it.

But who knows, maybe Nintendo showed them the device and convinced them to develop games for it.

Also why did Bobby kotick mention that the Switch 2 is comparable to the PS4, despite the evidence leaning it’s going to excel it and in reality be a a PS4 pro on steroids.
i believe only Nintendo closest third-parties have Switch sucessor devkit, soon indies and others developers will get Switch sucessor devkit

I think he was just talking in terms of, we can easily port our ps4 catalogue.

I think it's fair to assume that a good number of indies that have inquired about it probably don't have a dev kit outside maybe some select studios Nintendo has directly worked with before, like Brace Yourself Games or SFB Games.

Mid-2016 is when I think most devs started getting NX kits, though, so we might see a similar timeline here?

I think it's fair to assume that a good number of indies that have inquired about it probably don't have a dev kit outside maybe some select studios Nintendo has directly worked with before, like Brace Yourself Games or SFB Games.
I’m guessing team cherry probably has it for Silksong… since I’m probably delusional to think that it’ll be one of the indies games to launch the system with, something like shovel knight with the Switch launch.
I think he was just talking in terms of, we can easily port our ps4 catalogue.
Yeah… makes sense since he said ‘’Given the closer alignment to Gen8 platforms in terms of performance and our previous offerings on PS4 / Xbox One, it is reasonable to assume we could make something compelling for the NG Switch as well. It would be helpful to secure early access to development hardware prototypes and prove that out nice and early."

With his wording, it seems he doesn’t know the full extent of the hardware capabilities, since Nintendo were probably extremely hesitant saying it’s capabilities to somehow who has a big mouth.

Random, but I'd love to talk about the LCD screen. It's the one thing Nintendo has almost certainly (and rightfully) "cheaped" out on which I'm totally okay with since it keeps the price down and I'd rather they spend money on the 12gigs of ram than on an OLED screen. I expect there's going to be a more expensive OLED edition of the Switch 2 with 512gigs of internal storage space down the line...

That being said, what's happened in the world of LCD screens since 2017? have there been any advancements that can kind-of sort-of get closer to an OLED experience? is there a particular kind of screen that Nintendo should ideally go for? I love the "confirmed" specs of the Switch 2 so far and I don't think anybody expected they'd go for the newer LPDDR5X. We might be pleasantly surprised that Nintendo might opt for a pretty good LCD screen instead of something cheap and standard-fare.

Random, but I'd love to talk about the LCD screen. It's the one thing Nintendo has almost certainly (and rightfully) "cheaped" out on which I'm totally okay with since it keeps the price down and I'd rather they spend money on the 12gigs of ram than on an OLED screen. I expect there's going to be a more expensive OLED edition of the Switch 2 with 512gigs of internal storage space down the line...

That being said, what's happened in the world of LCD screens since 2017? have there been any advancements that can kind-of sort-of get closer to an OLED experience? is there a particular kind of screen that Nintendo should ideally go for? I love the "confirmed" specs of the Switch 2 so far and I don't think anybody expected they'd go for the newer LPDDR5X. We might be pleasantly surprised that Nintendo might opt for a pretty good LCD screen instead of something cheap and standard-fare.
I personally think LCD has improved quite a bit, a good example of a fantastic LCD screen, is probably the PS portal, it looks really good from what I’ve seen from YouTubers and has HDR functionality.

But I’m guessing the Switch 2 will have a lcd screen similar to the steam deck, but with the inclusion of HDR.

Imo it would even be a small miracle if Nintendo maxed it out. Having An L3 at all, is entirely optional.
I dunno; since we do know that there are 8 cores in the cluster, going small with the L3 would be odd.
(and for the readers, I certainly should at least expect an L3 cache at all; cause otherwise, I imagine a lack of any shared cache to be less than ideal for inter core communication).

---

Here's a semi-random follow up to... the DSU (DynamIQ Shared Unit, IE the CPU cluster)<->memory bandwidth topic since it's sticking around in my mind. Also, file this one under "Wow, I didn't realize this back then, but upon re-reading, this is so obvious, silly me."
Particularly, this paragraph:
"The new DSU can scale up to 4x AMBA CHI ports, meaning we’ll have up to 1024-bit total bi-directional bandwidth to the system memory. With a theoretical DSU clock of around 2GHz this would enable bandwidth of up to 256GB/s reads or writes, or double that when combined, plenty enough to be able to saturate also eventual high-end laptop configurations."
So the bandwidth into/out of the DSU is just the width of the interface multiplied by the DSU's clock. No duh, right?
As for the A78C, according to the image found here, it's either 128 or 256-bit wide.
Therefore, realistically, don't expect a particularly high bandwidth as far as going into/out of the DSU.
But that's okay. Remember, this would be mainly relevant for CPU <-> system memory data transfers. CPU workloads, particularly outside of 'productivity', typically don't need that much bandwidth. I guess it could also be relevant if cache stashing by the GPU were used, but ehh, I never expected a reliance on that.
And again, this is the CPU cluster. The GPU is not inside this, so it'll have no impact on GPU <-> system memory data transfer.

There is no answer to the question because any such answer is dependent on timing. Priority partners will get the earliest devkits, which would be early prototypes. Then lower priority partners would get the prototypes at a later date. Final devkits can follow a similar wave of distribution strategy.

There is no answer to the question because any such answer is dependent on timing. Priority partners will get the earliest devkits, which would be early prototypes. Then lower priority partners would get the prototypes at a later date. Final devkits can follow a similar wave of distribution strategy.
hi Nate, i know you said you were going to do a video on the leaked specs but are you also going to do a Direct speculation video or are you going to combine the 2?

Huh, thanks for the insight Nate. also I never knew that Dev-kits prototype were a thing.

I always expected that Dev-Kits were finished and after that they would immediately give it away to higher priority partners that are trusted not the leak stuff.

So, yea, looks like I've been gone for half a year at least. Nothing really bad happened, but just got busy enough to not be able to keep up anymore. Sorry to make anybody worry!

Glad you’re good! But honestly if you sweep in, completely solve the RAM question in 2022, and just continue taking Ws for every leak, your legacy is gonna be secure.

And ? We are not writing a press release we are communicating between players on a forum, policing code names is too extra when everyone is clueless

We have evidence that it starts with an O, that’s enough, if people want to call it Orange or Oyster it’s all good
I'm not "policing code names", myself and others are simply saying we have zero evidence pointing to Oz, or indeed Orange or Oyster. I don't really mind what you call it, but as far as we can tell, saying Oz is or was a a codename isn't true. It's a falsehood.

You also don't just use "Oz" as a player on a forum, you claim you "heard about it", you call it the "logical letters following NX", you claimed it was "Project Oz".

It's Oz (Project Oz)

I heard about it before when oldpuck mentioned he knew the codename last year and I was on my hunt researching online and asking anyone about info and coming up with crazy theories that's when I first heard it so I didn't pay attention as I was gathering lot of rubbish data

I didn't fully believe it but the riddle and the Land of Oz map linking to the colored buttons, and the fact that OZ is the logical letters following NX adds up a lot, also the fact that DLSS can be referred as "Magic" in mainstream spheres

Ounce is an alias for the codename Oz

If you want to use a shorthand for Ounce, Oz, in an offhand manner, I really don't mind. But you said you heard it was Oz.

I'm not policing anyone's use of casual nicknames, but I will absolutely point out if someone appears to be being dishonest. Previously, you outright stated with apparent confidence that it is "Oz (Project Oz)", and that you had heard about it before OldPuck mentioned it. Now, after it's been discussed that Oz doesn't have supporting evidence, you say it's just players on a forum, and say anyone who says, correctly, that it has no supporting evidence is "policing".

It's not "policing" to want people to be forthcoming and honest with us, P4bl0.

Presenting false information or misrepresenting information isn't innocent forum fun. You claimed to have heard it and now say "everyone is clueless". If your earlier post was accurate, you yourself would not be clueless. I'm not trying to play "gotcha" here, really, I'd just want to know what the truth of the matter is.

Last edited:
Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom