• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Would you like to partake in the avatar bet against me?
yes, if I am wrong I change my avator to this for 2 months whenever Switch 2 releases, a symbol of shame of the wrong date I got.
mockingspongebobbb.jpg

This is about the last place I ever expected to see a revival of Toxxing take place. I welcome the energy but unless everyone is planning to leave after the Switch 2 is revealed betting avatars makes more sense than accounts.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
I can see it as the timeline works, barely, but MASS production would have begun by now, or they would not have enough stock for such an early launch. And since it is Lunar New Year in Asia, i don't think much of anything is happening in February, which is another knock against the earlier launch date as there's 1 month of minimal prodction.

The only logical conclusion is Nintendo had been mas producing these as early as January 2024, if not earlier, and for us to not get much of any new factory/production line leaks Nintendo must have have deployed Ninjas to avoid any leaks which is possibler, but again, things always leak, even Nintendo's products. We've had almost no news until that report from Bloomberg from the LCD displays analyst.

Last edited:
Here's a fun thing to rile some people up:

Rumours point to a 1080p LCD, but what if it ends up as an 8" 720p to make BC easier and save on processing/battery and costs?

Personally I don't really care as I never use the thing undocked unless a storm has wiped the power out or something.
while I'm sure a less dense mother panel is cheaper, I'm not sure if the cost differences would be all that big. not to mention it wouldn't save as much processing and battery since devs can still just target 720p

No. Ive sold off most of holdings across the board. Including a very lucrative Nvidia stock I bought when it was announced they were working with Nintendo. I've started trading currency (Forex) markets as of recent along with commodities markets (Gold, Silver, Oil, etc.). Nintendo stock is merely a drop in the lake of opportunities. Its just a passion of mine to be a shareholder because I enjoy what they stand for. I feel like they get the big picture in terms of putting smiles on peoples faces.

A bit off topic

Very good video by Alex explaining what TAA is and what its pros and cons are (for people like me who had no idea lol)

I didn't know DLSS was a type of TAA. The ghosting that this tech produces can be really annoying.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

It is so over for the general believers
It's over when the Side Order Overview Trailer drops standalone on YouTube, so, nah.

A Direct doesn't have to be full of first party announcements when it can have plenty of updates and one nice surorise. Plus every Partner Direct has been the result of something going wrong that caused Nintendo to not have anything to show (like... A pandemic) but still had to fulfil obligations for advertising third party games. Why would they have let themselves stumble into that in 2024?

(Also wrong thread.)

Maybe I'm confused, but didn't Nate confirm/corroborated backwards compatibility for physical and digital? We've already gone through how physical BC will work with the compatibility layer.

Edit: Just saw the Nate clarification

Maybe I'm confused, but didn't Nate confirm/corroborated backwards compatibility for physical and digital? We've already gone through how physical BC will work with the compatibility layer.

Edit: Just saw the Nate clarification
can you point me to his clarificaiton post? i missed it.

a part of me worries that they will go back to region locking due to people abusing the Argetinian eshop. Is this unfounded?
They'll probably just start charging USD in Argentina like Valve and Xbox. Very unfortunate but other than regionlocking there's not much they can do to prevent that abuse.

a part of me worries that they will go back to region locking due to people abusing the Argetinian eshop. Is this unfounded?
They usually only locked systems to the region [continent] they were sold in, save for China, Japan and Korea being considered separate regions but who knows

Unlikely. They already blocked other users from buying on the Argentinian eshop. They still charge in ARS for locals and blocked foreigners. No need to go nuclear when they could solve the outlier very easily

Just to touch on some posts discussing the logistics of the T239 specs we're going off of being true, I'll say think about it like this. We live in a world now where where people can comfortably play emulated Switch games on their smartphones. Really puts into perspective for me how a portable system at what we're thinking is 400 dollars can comfortably be a bit more powerful than the decade old PS4 and potentially have some architectural modernizations as well.

Is it unfounded to think that the console won't release so soon after it's reveal because of us not knowing Nintendo's major launch day title (I think everyone is assuming 3D Mario)? I feel like part of the reason the Switch had such a short marketing cycle is Breath of the Wild itself having so much extensive marketing beforehand helped to market it as the best place to play Breath of the Wild when it releases?

I'm not willing to stake a claim on when it is releasing yet because I feel like a lot can happen but something I've been thinking about is the assistance Breath of the Wild may have provided the Switch that we don't really have right now leading into the next console. :)

Hope this makes sense, it sounded smarter in my head

Don't mind me completely derailing the discussion of seasons and what early summer constitutes between May and June, but I came across this post on Threads and was wondering if anyone more tech minded than me can parse these results.

To me, I would interpret this to mean AMD is about to significantly close the gap on Nvidia's DLSS

Logitech and Razer aren't selling these devices to then sell their products on though. They're not using all of that $300 or $400 to get the best specs, they're still trying to make a big profit off the device itself. I know the Switch sold for profit, but it wasn't a very big profit. If Nintendo only makes $20-$30 with each sale of the console like people estimate with the Switch, they're still putting at least $370 into the device, which is way more than Razer and Logitech probably put into them. Hell, maybe this is the generation Nintendo breaks even or sells for a loss again, Sony and MS both do it, and Nintendo has the game sales to off put that loss.

Perfectly stated, and I do think at times this can go under the radar when discussing prices of electronic products.
Not to mention that Nintendo weren't in the best position coming off the WiiU going into the Switch. So at the time they weren't guaranteed that this device would be a massive hit (their initial launch allocations proved Nintendo were being super safe)...

Couple of thoughts that might make you reconsider (although I am not truly informed on Logitech G Cloud or Razor Edge):

What are their expected sales numbers like? (for Nintendo, it would be easily north of Wii U numbers lol). Reason: bigger numbers = can negotiate for cheaper pricing for parts to be assembled

And do manufacturers of those devices also publish software for those devices? (I assume no but as I said, I'm not familiar with those products). Reason I'm asking is because Nintendo can set razor thin margins on hardware, but make $$$ off software sales that easily expect millions of sales at least.

Another great position on why a company like Nintendo are able to have such a presence in the component industry, well said!
The Switch in essence was a great experiment for both Nintendo and Nvidia, the Switch during the height of it popularity raised interest in the SD card medium significantly, it's also retained its value to where it has sold at launch price or better ($350 OLED) since release.

All of this to say, T239 is much more custom of a chip than TX1 ever was. The Switch brand is now a known quantity to the entire market place, so the cache they have now vs coming off the WiiU is pretty epic. Every component partner will want to be there day 1 to enjoy the fruits of Switch 2 business. Furukawa talks about uncharted territory in selling the Switch this many years (sans a price drop) because this just doesn't happen in the tech world...

My point wasn't to say that it's better, it was to say that it was probably more expensive for OnePlus to buy that than it was for Nintendo to buy the Tegra X1, which sort of shrinks the difference in value from the company's perspective. I'm just arguing that the Switch wasn't some crazy great value specs-wise, and I don't think I would expect that from Nintendo this time around, despite what the reports seem to indicate.
There aren't many (if any) mobile devices with 16GB of RAM that cost under $500 without making big sacrifices elsewhere. But we're also expecting fairly large storage and a pretty powerful processor with a big 1080p screen. And I also don't think Nintendo would go head-to-head with Sony in terms of price, so $400 seems like the absolute maximum they could charge for this. It feels unlikely considering everything that's being brought up as an expectation.
Again during those times we have to think where Nintendo's heads were at...
A failing WiiU home console and (to their standards) a lackluster 3ds handheld wouldn't inspire Nintendo that Switch was going to light everything on fire and they still chose the best that they could at that time.

The Switch 2 having an 8" screen means that it should probably be compared to tablet devices on the market.
Think about it this way, the specs chosen may sound out of bounds for today's standard in some scope but will eventually be the standard by the time mid-gen for Switch 2 arrives.

Both the PS5 and Series X launching with 16GB of RAM (and having 12-13GB dedicated to gaming) was pretty upsetting for the industry and games that targeted these platforms. Simply because the graphics card manufacturers were being stingy with ram (Nvidia) and this quickly aged out older popular video cards that weren't in this ballpark of v-ram. Nintendo doesn't have to guess anymore if they can sell a device for 7yrs without a price drop, they've done it...

So going by those metrics they can afford to spec their new hardware accordingly with what will still be perceived value in 4yrs by mobile standards. There's no comparison for Nintendo directly that produces software for a dedicated hybrid gaming device, so I fully expect what Nintendo will achieve on this hardware we will be stacking up visually to both Sony and Microsoft's efforts because of art styles and Nintendo only has to master developing for one device...

I was going by the premise of UFS 3.1 being used for the internal flash storage.

The Cubot P80 using UFS 2.1 is probably one way Cubot could sell the smartphone at €190.

So far, I can't find any smartphone that has 512 GB of UFS 3.1 that's selling for <$400, although the prices on Mouser (via bmfrosty) suggests that could be possible, although I imagine the profit margins could be much tighter than desired.
When doing the maths on a smartphone, you have to calculate so much out that inflates their expense, like cameras (which aren't cheap) high pixel-dense displays (which aren't cheap, especially when they have proprietary cutouts in them for earpieces and camera modules rather than being a simple rectangle).
And while eUFS 3.x may be great, if they do not require the read speed that offers, they could opt for dual-lane eUFS 2.x to save more per unit. It's all going to depend on where the benefit of better read speed ends for the specs they've decided on and whether better read speed is worth the cost delta per unit.

Don't mind me completely derailing the discussion of seasons and what early summer constitutes between May and June, but I came across this post on Threads and was wondering if anyone more tech minded than me can parse these results.

To me, I would interpret this to mean AMD is about to significantly close the gap on Nvidia's DLSS

DLSS runs on the tensor cores though, not the CUDA cores.

So in watching the latest DF Direct I'm leaning on the idea that Nvidia does bring a version of Frame Generation to Switch 2 eventually.
They start discussing a supporters question about whether Nvidia are limiting FG to the RTX 40 series cards just to sell the newer products.

Alex mentions how AMD's FSR 3 running on Nvidia Ampere cards shows that the FG tech can work but just not at the same image quality as DLSS 3.0 provides. Alex believes that Nvidia probably wanted to be consistent in their messaging when introducing FG to the market and a lesser quality version might of done more harm than good.

This is where I think for a closed off Nintendo dev platform though a lower quality FG option could see the light of day.
Specifically because Nintendo are already known to use FSR in some of their games on Switch, Nvidia would much rather Nintendo popularize their FG solution over AMD's. T239 is custom enough SoC that no-one mainstream will cry out if the Switch 2 gets a slightly inferior RTX FG solution vs the current Lovelace cards...

Last edited:
So in watching the latest DF Direct I'm leaning on the idea that Nvidia does bring a version of Frame Generation to Switch 2 eventually.
They start discussing a supporters question about whether Nvidia are limiting FG to the RTX 40 series cards just to sell the newer products.

Alex mentions how AMD's FSR 3 running on Nvidia Ampere cards shows that the FG tech can work but just not at the same image quality as DLSS 3.0 provides. Alex believes that Nvidia probably wanted to be consistent in their messaging when introducing FG to the market and a lesser quality version might of done more harm than good.

This is where I think for a closed off Nintendo dev platform though a lower quality FG option could see the light of day.
Specifically because Nintendo are already known to use FSR in some of their games on Switch, Nvidia would much rather Nintendo popularize their FG solution over AMD's. T239 is custom enough SoC that no-one mainstream will cry out if the Switch 2 gets a slightly inferior RTX FG solution vs the current Lovelace cards...

If they do, not getting rid of the OFA in Drake also suddenly makes sense.

I still don't see any possible use cases with the Switch 2 though. Would FG be used to get 30fps games to 60fps? Because the games would still really feel sluggish, and maybe even look worse because the lower quality generation. Or what about 60fps to 120fps? The quality would probably have to drop even lower to allow for the frames to be generated quick enough, which would leave a really messy image, no?

No matter what, I just kinda hope there will be a big onstage presentation for the Switch 2 announcement. I know there's no need for it since the concept is already sort of known, but there's a special kind of impact to a live presentation, especially when they don't do them annually at E3 anymore. Using a special event to reveal a new console would be really cool.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom