• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I'm very very doubtful Nintendo is sending Princess Peach to die by releasing it right next to a new console and some AAA launch game, lol.

Would be pretty mean to do to the devs (probably Good-Feel)

How would she die on a platform with over 140m potential buyers ?

In the hypothetical scenario that Switch 2 release at the same timing Peach Switch 1,realistically how many people you think will get their hands on the NG first year?

Max 10% of all the Switch userbase

They might have like 2-5m units for launch, thats not enough to be a danger to the Switch planned games. No need to worry about this

What if it comes with a Drake patch?

You really think they're launching the Switch 2 with this as the main launch game?

If it's not, then it will be completely overshadowed.

If it's a Switch 2 launch game, why show it now instead of at the reveal of the Switch 2?

The Switch 2 is probably just Fall 2024 with an announcement in calendar Q1 2024 and a reveal in calendar Q2 2024.

If anything the Switch 2 release doesn't indicate Switch 1 death but her life extension instead, it's a positive outlook for all Switch owners, not a doomed fate

There is no games in H1 except Mario franchise, this is insane, something's up
Yeah, and one weird game that was originally targeting a post NG Switch release date.

Something STINKS.

I think I can smell something coming from Smarch... probably the lousy weather.

Yeah, and one weird game that was originally targeting a post NG Switch release date.

Something STINKS.

I think I can smell something coming from Smarch... probably the lousy weather.
smarch-simpsons.gif

How would she die on a platform with over 140m potential buyers ?

In the hypothetical scenario that Switch 2 release at the same timing Peach Switch 1,realistically how many people you think will get their hands on the NG first year?

Max 10% of all the Switch userbase

They might have like 2-5m units for launch, thats not enough to be a danger to the Switch planned games. No need to worry about this

It would get buried promotion-wise if it launched next to a new console, lol.

It would get buried promotion-wise if it launched next to a new console, lol.
It would not, and anyway it's a niche game for a specific audience, its not the exciting most anticipated game of all time, it won't get crazy marketing like Mario Wonder or TOTK, it's just a nice treat to Peach fans

Having a peach game as a launch title wouldn't be a good idea. Presumably, they would have a big next gen title to go alongside it, one that would actually sell systems, which would just debilitate Peach sales.

Why would they do that when they can just have the peach game a few months later on, like how they did MK8D on Switch 1.

So, about the fab situation:

Arguments for Samsung's 8 NM:
  • Leaks and hacks heavily suggest an Orin based custom SOC. Oring family is 8nm.
  • Ampere family of (gaming grade) GPUs are also 8nm.
  • Famous Nvidia leaker also says 8nm.
  • It might be cheaper and more readily available than other options.
Arguments for TSMC 4NM:
  • According to deep analysis from members of this community, the leaked specs points towards a chip that would be inefficient for an 8nm chip. An smaller chip would have been more cost effective.
  • Some argue that an 8nm portable chip would not be capable of running the Matrix demo with "comparable" graphics to PS5.
  • 8nm would be very old for a 2024 launch.

Am I missing something?

I would discard the second argument for 4NM: We do not know how the Matrix was running on the system, other than vague statements.

You really think they're launching the Switch 2 with this as the main launch game?

If it's not, then it will be completely overshadowed.

If it's a Switch 2 launch game, why show it now instead of at the reveal of the Switch 2?

The Switch 2 is probably just Fall 2024 with an announcement in calendar Q1 2024 and a reveal in calendar Q2 2024.
It would be a game for Drake launch. There will be many games for it

Thats fine, its gonna be overshadowed by something if it wasnt drake

because its cross-gen

• Leaks and hacks heavily suggest an Orin based custom SOC. Oring family is 8nm.
Arguments for TSMC 4NM:
  • According to deep analysis from members of this community, the leaked specs points towards a chip that would be inefficient for an 8nm chip. An smaller chip would have been more cost effective.
  • Some argue that an 8nm portable chip would not be capable of running the Matrix demo with "comparable" graphics to PS5.

Am I missing something?

I would discard the second argument for 4NM: We do not know how the Matrix was running on the system, other than vague statements.
Points against: its not Orin based, said leaker got everything but the name wrong

Arguments for TSMC 4NM:

Am I missing something?

For "Arguments for TSMC 4NM", I'd add that pretty much all recent "relevant" Nvidia products have been produced with this TSMC 4N (not 4nm!) - I might be mistaken, but I do recall reading this being mentioned fairly consistently by other folks around here.

They’re reaaally vetting on the Mario brand with the plethora of Mario games releasing in the coming months. It’s like they really want to sell Switches
also they want to take oportunity on the Mario movie hype, let release a lot of Mario games to take advantage of the Mario movie and also the franchise, the Mario movie made the franchise explode more in popularity, why not take advantage of this by here 10 Mario games

They’re reaaally vetting on the Mario brand with the plethora of Mario games releasing in the coming months. It’s like they really want to sell Switches
It's baffling they didn't have all this stuff ready six months earlier to really capture the Mario movie hype.

Am I missing something?
Maybe the fact that the same "Famous Nvidia leaker" got multiple other bits of info wrong? (ie: incorrect name, wrong # of cores, etc)? He might be working with outdated information too.

Princess-Peach-Showtime_2023_09-14-23_003.jpg

Princess Peach game looks like it could be made to be a ray tracing showcase imo. Stage lights? Spot lights? Come on.

Edit: and it’s a cross-gen launch title with that release date 😉

Last edited:
peach is march
luigi is summer

maybe switch 2 is may...
Even before today, in light of Eurogamer saying Nintendo wanted to launch as soon as possible and with Nikkei earlier having suggested this fiscal year wasn't happening, I'd started to think May/June. Today, with the first quarter of Nintendo's next fiscal year looking so weak, I'm more convinced that's the window.

I'd guess a reveal of the hardware in early March (maybe even March 3rd for funsies) with a game presentation in April, and a global launch by the end of June at the latest. That's a quick run in to release but I don't think that's too much of an issue; it'd certainly work out in terms of key fiscal year deadlines. Investors would know about the hardware before the new year starts, hardware guidance and software releases can be included in the fiscal year forecast that May, and with the AGM likely at the end of June, the system may well be on the market for Nintendo to share some launch metrics and investors ask about future software. The console would be on the market from an early stage in Nintendo's new fiscal year.

Certainly the launch title question has become more interesting. I'd banked on 3D Super Mario for a while, but that looks less likely in a world where Peach is March and Luigi appears sometime in the May through September period and there's still a Paper Mario to fit in. Perhaps 3D Mario is October, which almost certainly has a Super Mario title slotted in to it. Metroid Prime 4 probably becomes a firm candidate for a launch window title, but I guess the more interesting question is what else Nintendo have to act as a showcase for new hardware.

Edit - March 3rd 2024 is a Sunday, and so probably not reveal day...

Hi hi. I've been a lurker here for a while now and all of the info regarding Switch 2 has been entertaining and insightful.

I want to give my two cents about something. Luigi's Mansion 2 HD being released all the way in summer of 2024 confused me when I saw it. I'd imagine that kind of game would release earlier. Maybe they are holding it back for some reason.

Given Nintendo's release schedule, and frequency of releases even at this point in the Switch's life, there's a good chance some games are going to get overshadowed regardless of when the Switch 2 is releasing. I'd assume anything Mario related has the best chance of having healthy sales in that situation though.

Hi hi. I've been a lurker here for a while now and all of the info regarding Switch 2 has been entertaining and insightful.

I want to give my two cents about something. Luigi's Mansion 2 HD being released all the way in summer of 2024 confused me when I saw it. I'd imagine that kind of game would release earlier. Maybe they are holding it back for some reason.
To be honest, it looked pretty bad graphically. Maybe its not releasing until the summer so they can get it looking nicer

To be honest, it looked pretty bad graphically. Maybe its not releasing until the summer so they can get it looking nicer
You are right it didn't look that great. So that could be the reason. I guess we'll see later if there are big improvements to it. If not, then I'll be very curious as to why it was pushed back a lot.

If it's good-feel then I suppose it's unreal? 5?

Nanite on the Drake version would be cool.
a lot of problems with these is that the best way to take advantage of new rendering features is to be made with them in mind. and the problem with Nintendo games is that they bake a lot of detail for performance. I figure adding RT and nanite(like) to this wouldn't amount to too much

I don't think there was anything vague about it. "Comparable" to PS5/XSX with identical or better raytracing is what we were told.

There's a certain threshold needed to even get the Matrix demo running on a system, I think it's fair to argue a certain configuration may not be capable of it. I don't know enough to make that claim myself.

I ain't the smartest when it comes to tech stuff like this but reading through everything, it does seem like there is some conflicting or contradictory info when it comes to this 8N node stuff. I'm more inclined to believe the reports about Gamescom and how Switch is comparable to current Gen consoles with the help of Nvidia technology. So the idea that Nintendo would use an 8NM and dial back the power of it to make it have better battery life and weigh less doesn't make much sense to me. There are other potential ways they could get around this and people have mentioned some ideas already.

Ok, after the direct I am officially off the H1 2024 release train. Here is what we know about Nintendo's 2024 schedule:

• Mario vs DK (February 16)
  • Princess Peach : Showtime! (March 22)
  • Splatoon 3 DLC: Side Order (Spring 2024)
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (Summer 2024)
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Remake (2024)

This honestly to me seems like a great line-up for Switch 2 in... spring 2024.

I can see Nintendo hiding some other game (Prime 4) for around april/may 2024 to release with the console with the other release. Plus, a Splatoon 3 bundle with the DLCs could be a hit, especially in Japan.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom