• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I'm kinda viewing it as the opposite.

That's a woefully bleak lineup in terms of new games. That's the kind of lineup the 3DS got in 2017. Nothing there would prevent a Switch 2 from launching in March-May with full BC and also getting its own game. Some of the releases on the list could also be cross-gen or enhanced on Switch 2 (which is the same thing) or whatever they'll call it.

I think it's fairly clear though that it's not launching with a new 3D Mario in the spring. Too much Mario already.

Smells Metroid 4 launch with some other big tittle and 3D Mario for holiday season i guess

I find it hard to believe they're going to coast through most of 2024 on old remasters and remakes and one new game when they've stated repeatedly how they want the transition to be smooth.

It is a smoother transition than we've had in the past, especially if it's in early H2 like September. We still at least had a steady stream of new games and a new 2D Mario less than a year prior.

Like, that doesn't look like a good lineup compared to other Switch years, but compare it to the last eight months of the Wii, Wii U, or Gamecube. Those were all dire, and they were for more truncated console length cycles where audiences were accustomed to more frequent per developer releases.

Last edited:
Smells Metroid 4 launch with some other big tittle and 3D Mario for holiday season i guess
I'd think it would need more than just Prime 4 since that has limited commercial appeal but yeah it could probably slot in there just fine.
It is a smoother transition than we've had in the past, especially if it's in early H2 like September. We still at least had a steady stream of new games and a new 2D Mario less than a year prior.

Like, that doesn't look like a good lineup compared to other Switch years, but compare it to the last eight months of the Wii, Wii U, or Gamecube. Those were all dire, and they were for more truncated console length cycles where audiences were accustomed to more frequent first-party games.
Still, it feels like it would be a major momentum halting lineup, especially since the sole new game is a new IP (sorta) with unproven appeal.

TBH If the switch 2 was Gigantic I feel like we would have heard about it around the time we heard about its 8inch LCD screen. So I'm kind of not worried

I don't think any of the devkits would be in the Switch 2 form and I don't think they'd include battery size or cooling details etc. as those details aren't needed. Screen resolution on the other hand.

From the factory uncles though? I guess it's more likely.

Like, that doesn't look like a good lineup compared to other Switch years, but compare it to the last eight months of the Wii, Wii U, or Gamecube. Those were all dire, and they were for more truncated console length cycles where audiences were accustomed to more frequent pre developer releases.

I guess we're just hoping that Nintendo is aiming for something a lot better than "not dire"

Can our resident uncharted mascot do some investigation if the system is heavy 💀

At least noticeably so vs the switch
How much bigger and heavier would it really need to be? We're talking what, like a difference of 1000mAH for the battery? The die itself will weight about the same, and it shouldn't need much more space for cooling.

The bigger issue with 8nm is just the logic of using 12SMs on it when you could more cheaply and easily use fewer SMs at higher clocks.

Big take away from the direct: new hardware H1 of 2024 seems more likely after this. The final major big budget release still seems to be Mario Wonder (and even that is on the smaller side I would say). Of course there will be games releasing on Switch even after new hardware releases. I think for example remake of Thousand year door is on par with Samus Returns remake on 3DS after Switch had released.
They did specifically say the direct was focusing on games releasing this Winter. So suffice to say they have games for next year post Winter, but they weren't highlighted here, so we cannot assume
Out of the big first party games shown today (not counting detective pikachu returns):
Princess Peach Showtime - New game
Thousand Year Door - Remake
Another Code - Remake
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - Remake
Mario VS Donkey Kong - Remake
Super Mario RPG - Remake
5/6 are remakes, and I'm pretty sure no original games are coming after March. The writing is really on the wall with this one.

edit: oh, and WarioWare, forgot. I believe that's the only other original game though and it's coming in November.
Not necessarily. Games take longer to develop nowadays especially given this is a HD console. They may need more of a remake/remaster period in the software pipeline to ensure Switch 2 launches with a strong launch lineup. Basically you may be assuming a little.

How much bigger and heavier would it really need to be? We're talking what, like a difference of 1000mAH for the battery?
1000? Add another

Just to be clear, I’m not referring to the SoC in case anyone else is curious, I’m talking about the battery in the whole system along with the features in the system.

This would be heavier due to the battery to support this device even if clocked low.

Last edited:
Can our resident uncharted mascot do some investigation if the system is heavy 💀

At least noticeably so vs the switch
I know this won't be popular but... no hate on insiders however honestly I'm kinda tired of them after Switch Pro rumors. Remember they're human beings just like us and can misunderstand things, communicate wrong, be fed false information etc... no one wants to hear it but a lot of these things we'll only know once we have it in our hands next year (in September 2024 which is my guess). I feel like insiders who aren't anonymous tend to be the worst imo. Leakers are at least up front. Like that nVidia leaker sent this thread into a frenzy with the 8nm predictions.

I think it's fairly clear though that it's not launching with a new 3D Mario in the spring. Too much Mario already.
We're about 5 Mario games past the "too much Mario" point, 10 games when counting NSO. At this point, they surely have a goal to release as many Mario-verse games as they possible can.

We're about 5 Mario games past the "too much Mario" point, 10 games when counting NSO. At this point, they surely have a goal to release as many Mario-verse games as they possible can.
I don't mean too many on the console, I mean too many releasing in such close succession. You still need to schedule games appropriately so that they don't cannibalize each other.

I don't mean too many on the console, I mean too many releasing in such close succession. You still need to schedule games appropriately so that they don't cannibalize each other.
That's why they'll release NG switch in September-November with 3D Mario :D

Maybe I'm terrible at noticing that type of thing but 2 oz sounds like something I would not notice in a million years.
To put into perspective, those things weight 2 oz:

• 4 empty soda cans
  • 2 AA batteries
  • 12 sheets of copy paper
  • 2 regular envelopes
  • 22 pennies
  • 2 light bulbs
  • A large egg
  • 3 fountain pens
Etc. I agree, 2 oz doesn't seem like much.

To put into perspective, those things weight 2 oz:

• 4 empty soda cans
  • 2 AA batteries
  • 12 sheets of copy paper
  • 2 regular envelopes
  • 22 pennies
  • 2 light bulbs
  • A large egg
  • 3 fountain pens
Etc. I agree, 2 oz doesn't seem like much.
Maybe I'm terrible at noticing that type of thing but 2 oz sounds like something I would not notice in a million years.
Things add up. Not caring about an ounce here and an ounce there is how you end up with a 1.7lb Steam Deck.

0_b-roll00_01_44_12Still002.jpg

Just for comparison the Legion Go is ~30 oz and has an 8.8 screen.

I wouldn't personally mind if it turned out this way. I think handhelds were inevitably going to get larger to have comfortable viewing of 1080p+ screens.

However - as mentioned before this has to appeal to young children too.
So I'm having a hard time believing they would release a base model this big. This is a significant step up from the Switch's weight and size.

That's why they'll release NG switch in September-November with 3D Mario :D
Yeah September to November would be the right time to do a new 3D Mario.

I just think they won't wait to launch the console then but who knows.

A fellow member posted something interesting:

I'm curious about their color choices for the button prompts. A is red and Y is green. The Super Mario RPG remake also has the A button prompt as red. Is it usual for switch games to make up different colors for the button prompts and I just haven't noticed?

Sort of hoping against rationality that this is future-proofing for Switch 2 having different colored face buttons...

0_b-roll00_01_44_12Still002.jpg

Just for comparison the Legion Go is ~30 oz and has an 8.8 screen.

I wouldn't personally mind if it turned out this way. I think handhelds were inevitably going to get larger to have comfortable viewing of 1080p+ screens.

However - as mentioned before this has to appeal to young children too.
So I'm having a hard time believing they would release a base model this big. This is a significant step up from the Switch's weight and size.
That looks about the size of a WiiU gamepad, is that right?

That'd be nice for my hands and wrists but not for my pockets. I can fit my OG Switch and its case in my cargos right now but that sure wouldn't go.

That is heavy
56ee463ddd0895fc5f8b4751

Last edited:
And I meant in close succession: Wonder, RPG, vs DK, Peach, Wario, Kart last DLC wave, MP3 on NSO, all within the next 6 months. In the last few months we had the Movie, the 4 SMB Advanced on NSO and Rabbids DLC, and there's LM2 and TTYD already scheduled for next year. There's probably more I'm forgetting and it's quite likely there will be more next year which weren't announced yet besides Mario 3D.

And I meant in close succession: Wonder, RPG, vs DK, Peach, Wario, Kart last DLC wave, all within the next 6 months. In the last few months we had the Movie, the 4 SMB Advanced on NSO and Rabbids DLC, and there's LM2 and TTYD already scheduled for next year. There's probably more I'm forgetting and it's quite likely there will be more next year which weren't announced yet besides Mario 3D.
I typically don't really consider NSO releases or DLC to be competing that much with new game releases, which is what I'm getting at. You're right that over the next 6 months we have a ton, and then shortly after TTYD and LM2. I just personally don't see room for a new 3D Mario within that span. Shortly after, like October 2024/November 2024 sure.

If 3D Mario is out of the equation for launch then what’s a good alternative for mainstream appeal? We’re out of Zelda this time.

I could see them leaning a bit more on third parties this time. And maybe offering a OoT 4k or something.

As for first party Prime 4 would make sense. Maybe a Wave Race or Pilotwings type game too.

Nintendo likely 2024 lineup

January: Another Code Remake
February: Mario vs. DK Remake, likely a shadowdrop
March: Princess Peach
April: ???
May: ???
June: ???
July: Probably LM3 around here?
August: Probably TTYD around here?
September: ???
October: Mario Party Next
November: Pokemon Legends Unova
December: Not a lot

We will see how Nintendo fills Q2, it's a little brutal right now.

I typically don't really consider NSO releases or DLC to be competing that much with new game releases, which is what I'm getting at. You're right that over the next 6 months we have a ton, and then shortly after TTYD and LM2. I just personally don't see room for a new 3D Mario within that span. Shortly after, like October 2024/November 2024 sure.
I don't think anything I listed is competing with each other that much, which is why they crammed so much in the next 6 months. But that doesn't change my point about them being way past the "too much Mario" point already.

Switch launched in March. Here is a comparison between some of the games coming to Switch, and games Nintendo published for 3DS that year or later.

Upcoming Switch Game2017/2018 3DS Game
Super Mario RPG RemakeRemake of Mario + Luigi Superstar Saga
Thousand Year Door RemakeRemake of Mario + Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon HDLuigi's Mansion Remake
Wario Ware: Move it!Wario Ware: Gold
Detective Pikachu 2Detective Pikachu (2018 WW, 2016 Japan)

There are of course games that don't have a near 1:1 parallel, but...

Mario versus Donkey Kong Remake is...
...a puzzle game like Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
...a Mario side-game like Mario Sports Superstars

Princess Peach: Showtime!

...is a 2D spinoff like Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
...an attempt to create a new franchise around existing characters like Hey! Pikmin

Another Code: Recollection

...honestly doesn't have a parallel in Nintendo published 3DS games, but there is a limit to this analysis

"But what about rumored games like the Fire Emblem remake?"
...like Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

"What about Prime 4?"
...a little like Samus Returns?

This is all ignoring the 13 other games that Nintendo published after the Switch launch: A new IP (Ever Oasis), 3 original sequels (Dillon, Style Savvy, Box Boy), another "cross-gen" game (Fire Emblem Warriors), 2 Level 5 RPGs (Yokai Watch Busters), 4 Kirby games, the Pokemon Ultras, and Mario Party: The Top 100.

I dunno man, this looks about right for Switch 2 to launch any time next year. And assuming backwards compat, I don't think it hurts the launch year to have stuff like Princess Peach rounding out the library. I'd rather have that than 1-2-3-4: Switch Some More.

Switch launched in March. Here is a comparison between some of the games coming to Switch, and games Nintendo published for 3DS that year or later.

...an attempt to create a new franchise around existing characters like Hey! Pikmin

...honestly doesn't have a parallel in Nintendo published 3DS games, but there is a limit to this analysis

"What about Prime 4?"

This is all ignoring the 13 other games that Nintendo published after the Switch launch: A new IP (Ever Oasis), 3 original sequels (Dillon, Style Savvy, Box Boy), another "cross-gen" game (Fire Emblem Warriors), 2 Level 5 RPGs (Yokai Watch Busters), 4 Kirby games, the Pokemon Ultras, and Mario Party: The Top 100.

I dunno man, this looks about right for Switch 2 to launch any time next year. And assuming backwards compat, I don't think it hurts the launch year to have stuff like Princess Peach rounding out the library. I'd rather have that than 1-2-3-4: Switch Some More.
1-2-3-4 I declare a Switch war

Some pretty remarkable parallels there though, yeah.

"What about Prime 4?"

Mario RPG and Thousand Year Door clearly have a lot more effort put into them than those Mario and Luigi remakes.

Mario RPG and Thousand Year Door clearly have a lot more effort put into them than those Mario and Luigi remakes.
They're HD games so they require a lot more effort just by virtue of the platform they're on. Just like all first party games now.

"What about Prime 4?"

NzkZMA0.jpeg

Ok, after the direct I am officially off the H1 2024 release train. Here is what we know about Nintendo's 2024 schedule:

• Mario vs DK (February 16)
  • Princess Peach : Showtime! (March 22)
  • Splatoon 3 DLC: Side Order (Spring 2024)
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (Summer 2024)
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Remake (2024)
Now this isn't a hot first party lineup on the surface, but nothing here screams launch titles for the Switch 2. The Jan/Feb direct can sprinkle in a few more remasters like Metroid Prime 2/3, Zelda Wind Waker/Twilight Princess, or maybe Star Fox Assault. There is still plenty of time for Nintendo to add more ot the schedule for the OG Switch. Yes, there will be releases for the OG Switch after Switch 2 launches, but I feel like there is enough planned to where Nintendo isn't going to drop new hardware with a must play game in March. The million dollar question on everyone's mind though is what is going on with Metroid Prime 4?

I could see a May or June release as a possibility, but at the moment I see September as the earliest reasonable date. How I see things going down.

In a future shareholder's meeting- Nintendo acknowledges that new hardware will be released next FY (April 24-March 25)
Feb/March- Nintendo reveals the new system.
June- Huge blowout
Sept/Oct- Switch 2 launches
Yeah I get this stance. I'm really 55/45 between H1 and H2 but like H1 is really just Q2 for me. I like September as a H2 release time frame tbh.

Okay, 2000mAH. Or even 5000mAH, what does that difference weigh realistically? Like 2 ounces maybe?
Hard to say, but it won’t be 2oz

Current switch (V1/V2) device weighs .88lbs/398g (thereabouts).

With the device being bigger, and if it has say 1500mAh split between the two Joycons and the device gets a 6000mAh battery (so less than the 2K increase), and has that metallic stand that it has equipped, it would probably be 1.6-1.9lbs/730~870g

Big boi. Chunky.

The Steam deck and the iPad Pro 12.9 inch weigh about the same, so this should be heavier than that.

Patterns when it comes to something like the software that releases throughout a console's lifecycle are a trap when it comes to predictions imo. Too much changes in seven years and the software development pipeline for all of the relevant studios has too many factors for everything to remain consistent. You can generally assume things like 1-2 Zelda games per lifecycle but anything beyond that is a crap shoot. You can also draw a lot of parallels between random years in Nintendo's history since they keep a steady release schedule for various IP.

Not that I'm against H1 2024, I actually think it can go either way.

"What about Prime 4?"

Ok, you might actually sell me on march 2024.

Peach game is a clear high(ish) budget effort at least new Yoshi level, it isn’t comparable to low budget spin-odds like Hey Pikmin! or ports of WiiU games to 3DS like Mario Maker. Of course this type of games releasing doesn’t affect Switch 2 release date

I could see them leaning a bit more on third parties this time. And maybe offering a OoT 4k or something.

As for first party Prime 4 would make sense. Maybe a Wave Race or Pilotwings type game too.

I don't think Nintendo wants to risk sub-par Switch 2 launch sales (especially considering their last few console "sequels," 3DS and Wii U, stumbled out of the gate), and with Prime 4 most likely being crossgen, there would be no big incentive to pick up a new console. At this point Nintendo should know success is never guaranteed.

If they're planning to have a 3D Mario ready at any point in the year (and they should considering how long it has been), I think they move the next-gen launch to whenever both are ready. Metroid can drop a month or 2 later.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom